Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,215 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:33 AM

Does Religion Help To Mask Mental Illness In Nigeria? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Religion Help To Mask Mental Illness In Nigeria? (669 Views)

Does Religion Hold People Back From Becoming Very Educated / How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? / Does Religion Really Matter In A Relationship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Religion Help To Mask Mental Illness In Nigeria? by mmsen: 9:10pm On Dec 08, 2013
I became curious as to this question last night when a relation suggested that she call me at midnight because she wanted to 'pray'. Knowing full well that I like to be in bed by 10 pm. This relation has a crumbling marriage and a son who is going out of control but rather than seek practical assistance her response is to spend more time screaming at the sky.

Her reason for wanting to 'pray' at midnight when I asked her was that, according to her, 'The Enemy' is most active between the hours of 12 - 3 am.

If I were to spend my free time shouting and wailing at the atmosphere calling out for Bin Laden to return to earth I would be considered a nutcase but people who call out 'Jesus' are sane? What gives...

A question for those of you able to exercise free thought - How do you keep the nutjobs at bay, relatives included?

4 Likes

Re: Does Religion Help To Mask Mental Illness In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Dec 08, 2013
Men, wetin u wan make people do? They are desperate, and religions are set up in such a way that if you regularly put time and effort into it, and god doesn't answer, the problem lies with you. So you hear pastors advising sheeple to try all kinds of stuff(midnight prayer, breakthrough anointing, tithes), attend all manner of services, read all kind of passages, and most importantly, admonishing them to be patient and to keep waiting for God's time.

It inevitably leads to an endless cycle of aim and miss, that pastors would claim serves to build their faith in God. So yes, I'd agree in a sense, that Christianity, especially Nigerian Christian Pentecostalism is some kind of mental illness.

Symptoms
- believing Christianity isn't a religion.
- believing that death is not your portion. Everyone will die.
- believing that paying 10% every month will protect you from devourers.

6 Likes

Re: Does Religion Help To Mask Mental Illness In Nigeria? by mmsen: 9:19pm On Dec 08, 2013
aManFromMars: Men, wetin u wan make people do?

Not to pester me with their hocus pocus nonsense.
Re: Does Religion Help To Mask Mental Illness In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Dec 08, 2013
Same with my mum. Wants me to go for night vigils on fridays. I follow her atimes though. The only difference is, I sleep on a wooden bench and not my bed.
Re: Does Religion Help To Mask Mental Illness In Nigeria? by plaetton: 10:53pm On Dec 08, 2013
mmsen: I became curious as to this question last night when a relation suggested that she call me at midnight because she wanted to 'pray'. Knowing full well that I like to be in bed by 10 pm. This relation has a crumbling marriage and a son who is going out of control but rather than seek practical assistance her response is to spend more time screaming at the sky.

Her reason for wanting to 'pray' at midnight when I asked her was that, according to her, 'The Enemy' is most active between the hours of 12 - 3 am.

If I were to spend my free time shouting and wailing at the atmosphere calling out for Bin Laden to return to earth I would be considered a nutcase but people who call out 'Jesus' are sane? What gives...

A question for those of you able to exercise free thought - How do you keep the nutjobs at bay, relatives included?

It's the same question that I have asking every now and then.
However, I am more incline to think that religion causes mental problems rather than mask it.

Well, lets just say that there is strong relationship between religion and all types of mental disorders, after all, the heroes of the world's religions were people who suffered all types of schizophrenic and schizotypal personality disorders.

So it is not surprising that the fruits cannot be too far from the tree.

4 Likes

Re: Does Religion Help To Mask Mental Illness In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:34am On Dec 09, 2013
mmsen: I became curious as to this question last night when a relation suggested that she call me at midnight because she wanted to 'pray'. Knowing full well that I like to be in bed by 10 pm. This relation has a crumbling marriage and a son who is going out of control but rather than seek practical assistance her response is to spend more time screaming at the sky.

. Obviously you need to block that ladies number for life obviously something is wrong with her,she might be suffering from severe emotional issues with her messed up marriage and her wayward son.
Re: Does Religion Help To Mask Mental Illness In Nigeria? by MrTroll(m): 12:54am On Dec 12, 2013
So THE ENEMY operates within time zones too? I can imagine satan flexing strong here now in Nigeria for just one hour before going east to Ghana and so forth, constantly everyday just to maintain the time zones across the world. Busy man, this Satan. No dulling cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Does Religion Help To Mask Mental Illness In Nigeria? by mumumugu(m): 1:09am On Dec 12, 2013
I am mumu. Religion hasnt masked me. Will atheism cure me?
Re: Does Religion Help To Mask Mental Illness In Nigeria? by texanomaly(f): 1:55am On Dec 12, 2013
Mr Troll: So THE ENEMY operates within time zones too? I can imagine satan flexing strong here now in Nigeria for just one hour before going east to Ghana and so forth, constantly everyday just to maintain the time zones across the world. Busy man, this Satan. No dulling cheesy

I thought you didn't believe he existed. undecided
Re: Does Religion Help To Mask Mental Illness In Nigeria? by MrTroll(m): 2:02am On Dec 12, 2013
texanomaly:

I thought you didn't believe he existed. undecided
ah! Tex, you too?
Re: Does Religion Help To Mask Mental Illness In Nigeria? by texanomaly(f): 2:10am On Dec 12, 2013
Mr Troll: ah! Tex, you too?

Me too what? Seriously. I thought you didn't believe in God or the devil. Am I wrong? Please correct me if I am.
Re: Does Religion Help To Mask Mental Illness In Nigeria? by MrTroll(m): 2:21am On Dec 12, 2013
texanomaly:

Me too what? Seriously. I thought you didn't believe in God or the devil. Am I wrong? Please correct me if I am.
are you just beginning to see my posts or understand my worldview?

What exactly do you think we do here in the religion section? Or do I have to explain my sarcastic posts to you?
Re: Does Religion Help To Mask Mental Illness In Nigeria? by texanomaly(f): 2:24am On Dec 12, 2013
Mr Troll: are you just beginning to see my posts or understand my worldview?

What exactly do you think we do here in the religion section? Or do I have to explain my sarcastic posts to you?
That goes both ways Babe. tongue tongue I gat sarcasm too. kiss
Re: Does Religion Help To Mask Mental Illness In Nigeria? by MrTroll(m): 2:32am On Dec 12, 2013
texanomaly:
That goes both ways Babe. tongue tongue I gat sarcasm too. kiss
undecided

This...
texanomaly:

didnt sound like sarcasm to me.
Re: Does Religion Help To Mask Mental Illness In Nigeria? by texanomaly(f): 4:05am On Dec 12, 2013
Mr Troll: undecided

This...
didnt sound like sarcasm to me.

This one was sarcasm.
Mr Troll: So THE ENEMY operates within time zones too? I can imagine satan flexing strong here now in Nigeria for just one hour before going east to Ghana and so forth, constantly everyday just to maintain the time zones across the world. Busy man, this Satan. No dulling cheesy

thought you didn't believe he existed. undecided

Then you said this…
Mr Troll: ah! Tex, you too?

I wasn’t sure what it meant, so I thought maybe you had been serious. I had to ask at that point to be sure. Sorry. I should know you better by now.

kiss
Re: Does Religion Help To Mask Mental Illness In Nigeria? by DKJaleel: 5:25am On Dec 12, 2013
at topic, yes i agree. When you have someone/set of people who refuse take responsibility for their actions and inactions or choose to take reality as virtual, and then point accusing fingers at something else while believing the solution lies in another thing...
Religion is then a perfect means to find virtual solace, masking the real insanity...

2 Likes

Re: Does Religion Help To Mask Mental Illness In Nigeria? by mmsen: 8:49am On Dec 13, 2013
mumumugu: I am mumu. Religion hasnt masked me. Will atheism cure me?

A healthy dose of skepticism might do you some good.

(1) (Reply)

Can God Cry? / The Prophets Of The Chosen Church Promised A Miracle Ala Lazarus, But This Mirac / Yee Shall Receive Power

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.