Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,706 members, 7,816,897 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR (7252 Views)

/ Latest Ranking Of States By Financial Sustainability, Debt And IGR (PICS) / Is Ebonyi No Longer Part Of Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by kmariko: 4:59am On Dec 09, 2013
The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) last week released some interesting data set on the Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) profiles for Nigeria’s 36 states between 2010 and 2012.

At a first glance, the data was not surprising as states in southern Nigeria continue to show dominance in terms of economic activity.

The oil producing states also featured prominently in the top ten in terms of states with the largest share of IGR.

Northern Nigeria’s poor showing continues to be a concern. Eight of the least ten states in terms of IGR are from Northern Nigeria, including Yobe and Borno which are mostly bearing the brunt of the current insurgency, while none feature in the top ten.

Source: BusinessDay Research, NBS

]]•Lagos State, Nigeria’s commercial capital leads the pack for IGR by a wide margin, while Yobe has the least for 2012. While Lagos is 7 times more populated than Yobe, Its N219.2 billion of IGR in 2012 is 123 times that of Yobe State’s IGR of N1.78 billion.
•Nigeria’s oil producing states are ramping up their capacity for IGR, perhaps due to the increased economic activity that oil and gas production provides. Five of the top ten states with the highest IGR are oil producers, including Rivers, Delta, Edo, Akwa Ibom and Cross River.
•When we analysed the data to see the regional champions it showed that for the SW region Lagos led with N219.2 billion, SS: Rivers N66.2 billion, SE: Ebonyi N14 billion, NC: Benue N8.4 billion, NW: Kaduna N11.5 billion, and NE: Adamawa N4.6 billion.
•The regional analysis for state IGR shows that states like Kano, Anambra/Abia and Borno are underperforming in their respective regions as their relatively high GDP and commercial nature has failed to translate into tax revenues for the state Governments.
•Only 3 states generate tax revenues of above N1,000 per head and these are Lagos (pop. 20 m) with IGR per capita of N10, 851, Rivers (pop. 6.1 m) with IGR per capita of N3,280 and Delta (pop. 4.8 m) : IGR per capita of N2,258.
We believe the IGR status of a majority (> 90 percent) of Nigerian states is a cause for concern, and raises serious questions about their viability, in the event of an oil price shock.
•To make matters worse a majority of the states are also highly indebted. Yobe had $31.8 million (N5.088 billion) in external debt as at June 2013, equivalent to 180 percent of its IGR for the whole of 2012.

[img
[/img

2 Likes

Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by achi4u(m): 5:15am On Dec 09, 2013
@Op what exactly are you looking for cos this igr thing has been discuss over and over again in this section of the forum.

Somebody has answer this question at the other thread that some states under quote their igr inorder to attract foreign aid, though I don't know how TRUE this can be.

Anambra and Abia state are the 2 top states in terms of economic activities in SE.
Only papa God knows what went wrong.

1 Like

Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by Mynd44: 5:56am On Dec 09, 2013
^^^
Economics is crap if the government dont know how to make money from it when it comes to IGR. Do they follow the tax laws? Do they document the fines, levies and other payment that should go into the governmen's pockets?
Until they do, they can't gain fo economics in terms of IGR
Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by kettykin: 6:00am On Dec 09, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/1548342/lagos-tops-igr-report

Abia state is the fourth highest internal revenue generator you can confirm from CBN figures
There was a deliberate and wicked attempt to omit figures from Abia by NBS
Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by ckkris: 6:01am On Dec 09, 2013
Nigerians have been DECEIVED to believe that stealing will somehow lead to economic development.

Now this REALITY DAWNS ON EVERYONE
Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by Abagworo(m): 6:05am On Dec 09, 2013
achi4u: @Op what exactly are you looking for cos this igr thing has been discuss over and over again in this section of the forum.

Somebody has answer this question at the other thread that some states under quote their igr inorder to attract foreign aid, though I don't know how TRUE this can be.

Anambra and Abia state are the 2 top states in terms of economic activities in SE.
Only papa God knows what went wrong.

Nothing went wrong but lack of leaders with the ability to harness the revenue yielding potentials and most importantly the lack of tributary or tax culture in Igbo history. Opposition Politicians use tax as a weapon against every incumbent Government. Remember the famous Aba women's riot was against taxation. Enugu and Ebonyi are the surprise States here. Ebonyi infact floored Akwa-Ibom and that to me makes Elechi a silent achiever.

1 Like

Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by kmariko: 6:19am On Dec 09, 2013
@ achiu, there are many ways of looking at figures and statistics.,,. Am only trying to point out that Ebonyi is the state to watch in the East. Currently they have everything going for them in trying to maximize the oppportunities and potentials in the state. Another way to look at the figures -- is a perception that businesses are becoming more viable ( in other words more profitable) in that state than any other state in the East. A high IGR can also be seen as a sign of an effective, "less opaque" government.
Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by Abagworo(m): 6:27am On Dec 09, 2013
On a closer look, I realized the statistics for Abia is missing. Abia should be traditionally number 4.
Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by dayokanu(m): 6:37am On Dec 09, 2013
Oyo the highest non oil State
Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by MajeMedia: 6:39am On Dec 09, 2013
This isn't a mark of economic viability, it's a mark of taxation and the type of economic activity that's happening. Something like commercial farming (ebonyi) is easier to tax than informal trading (onitcha)
Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by kettykin: 6:45am On Dec 09, 2013
Abagworo: On a closer look, I realized the statistics for Abia is missing. Abia should be traditionally number 4.
Thanks for your objective assessment the NBS did not compute any figures for Abia state while the CBN rated Abia Number 4, a closer assessment show Abia State has both an industrial and commercial city and oil producing status, Abia is rated the second most industrialised state after lagos with most of the large scale manufacturers having a plant in Aba, Aba is the largest manufacturer of shoes and clothing in Africa

2 Likes

Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by SLIDEwaxie(m): 6:46am On Dec 09, 2013
War-refar!! undecided
Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by Mynd44: 6:59am On Dec 09, 2013
MajeMedia: This isn't a mark of economic viability, it's a mark of taxation and the type of economic activity that's happening. Something like commercial farming (ebonyi) is easier to tax than informal trading (onitcha)
Informal trading can be taxed easily. It only depends on who is heading the tax office.
Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by dayokanu(m): 7:06am On Dec 09, 2013
kettykin: Abia is rated the second most industrialised state after lagos with most of the large scale manufacturers having a plant in Aba, Aba is the largest manufacturer of shoes and clothing in Africa

WHo rated Abia ahead of ogun State in terms of industries?

6 Likes

Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by oduaboy1: 10:10am On Dec 09, 2013
dayokanu:

Igbokwenu.comcheesycheesycheesycheesy

1 Like

Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by achi4u(m): 11:29am On Dec 09, 2013
^^^
Una done carry come for this thread.

You can easily air ur opinion without any mixture of tribal attachment.

1 Like

Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by Abagworo(m): 11:32am On Dec 09, 2013
dayokanu:

You don't need anyone to rate it. There are over 50,000 registered shoe factories in Aba. Are there up to 50,000 factories in Ogun? I know you may argue that shoe factories are not part of what you believe should be called industries but to economists, they are.

1 Like

Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by Nobody: 11:48am On Dec 09, 2013
This is different from the Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) of about N48 billion naira annually, in which wheelbarrow pushers are even forced to purchase plate numbers. Keke NAPEP riders are taxed through their nostrils. Gov. T.A Orji has also done very well in the ill-treatment of other allocations, which were given by observers as Domestic Crude Account, Subsidy Reinvestment Programme (SURE-P), Derivation (for oil producing states), Excess Crude Account, Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) refund and Foreign exchange differentials.

Here is the link www.thenigerianvoice.com/nvthread/8548/120755/1
Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by Nobody: 11:49am On Dec 09, 2013
Executive chairman of BIR, Udochukwu Ogbonna, said the pay direct system of revenue collection was already paying off in Abia as the state netted over N346 million between February and September 2013 in drivers licence and motor registration alone, an unprecedented record in Abia
www.thisdaylive.com/articles/fidelity-bank-boosts-abia-s-igr-drive-with-50-pos-machines/162358/

1 Like

Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by Nobody: 11:51am On Dec 09, 2013
Abia generates 4billion monthly, it has number 4 position.

1 Like

Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by Nobody: 12:30pm On Dec 09, 2013
According to cbn, abia generates more than any other state in nigeria (excluding lagos and rivers) and occupies fifth position when it comes to GDP behind lagos, rivers, sokoto and delta.

2 Likes

Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by IGBOSON1: 12:39pm On Dec 09, 2013
Abagworo: On a closer look, I realized the statistics for Abia is missing. Abia should be traditionally number 4.

^^^Does anyone know why the data for Abia state is missing? Of all the 36 states in Nigeria, it's only Abia that they couldn't manage to collate any data for!
Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by IGBOSON1: 12:44pm On Dec 09, 2013
customized13: Abia generates 4billion monthly, it has number 4 position.

^^^Is there any portal (not Abia related) where one can verify this claim of Abia generating 4 billion monthly; and if this claim is true, then it should be reflected in their budget for 2014!
Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by Nobody: 1:10pm On Dec 09, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^Is there any portal (not Abia related) where one can verify this claim of Abia generating 4 billion monthly; and if this claim is true, then it should be reflected in their budget for 2014!
according to cbn data abia generated 70billion from 2007-2011, that's 1.4 billion naira monthly, as @ 2011 abia state govt claimed they generate only 250million naira only, bt in 2013 they said its 4billion. Who is deceiving who, abia state govt or cbn, how can abia generate 250million in 2011 and raise drastically to 4billion in 2013, my dear na abia state govt dey deceive us. T A orji is really looting abia, I won't be surprise if they say abia generates 30billion monthly, they have the potential. Only osisioma LGA generates more than most states in nigeria, as for anambra I guess the story is the same.

1 Like

Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by IGBOSON1: 1:25pm On Dec 09, 2013
customized13: according to cbn data abia generated 70billion from 2007-2011, that's 1.4 billion naira monthly, as @ 2011 abia state govt claimed they generate only 250million naira only, bt in 2013 they said its 4billion. Who is deceiving who, abia state govt or cbn, how can abia generate 250million in 2011 and raise drastically to 4billion in 2013, my dear na abia state govt dey deceive us. T A orji is really looting abia, I won't be surprise if they say abia generates 30billion monthly, they have the potential. Only osisioma LGA generates more than most states in nigeria, as for anambra I guess the story is the same.

^^^Regarding the bolded: I agree with you; and i also think that's what is happening in Anambra as well! Anambra and Abia can easily generate at least 3 billion monthly, but they've been posting figures averaging between 300 to 600 per month for the last few years! I'm in no doubt that the balance is finding it's way into peoples pockets!

Though it looks like this past year, the Abia state government has had a change of heart, and are now prepared to intensify their IGR efforts and better account for receipts received. Hopefully, Anambra will follow suit! I don't buy that excuse of 'under-reporting IGR so as to continue receiving donor funds'!
Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by Nobody: 1:33pm On Dec 09, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^Regarding the bolded: I agree with you; and i also think that's what is happening in Anambra as well! Anambra and Abia can easily generate at least 3 billion monthly, but they've been posting figures averaging between 300 to 600 per month for the last few years! I'm in no doubt that the balance is finding it's way into peoples pockets!

Though it looks like this past year, the Abia state government has had a change of heart, and are now prepared to intensify their IGR efforts and better account for receipts received. Hopefully, Anambra will follow suit! I don't buy that excuse of 'under-reporting IGR so as to continue receiving donor funds'!
yes na, even onitsha alone can generate more than there current IGR, cos I can bet it that of the 4million generated by abia state, abt 70percent is from aba metropolis.
Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by UCyril: 2:00pm On Dec 09, 2013
Success is not by making noise. I can still remember some people in naira land.making comments like;noting is happening in Ebonyi state,Ebonyi is too small to be a state.Ebonyi is backward. blablabla.....Ebonyi state is seriously moving high while some states are living on past glory

1 Like

Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by oduaboy1: 3:19pm On Dec 09, 2013
customized13: Abia generates 4billion monthly, it has number 4 position.
Any link to back up this spurious claims.
Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by plaindealer: 3:52pm On Dec 09, 2013
dayokanu:

I think it was a joke........lol
Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by plaindealer: 4:04pm On Dec 09, 2013
The fact that ebonyi scored high in terms of IGR means little or nothing, it's obviously one of the poorest states in Nigeria.

The only interpretation from the figures people are parading here is, ebonyi is good and efficient when it comes to tax collection and not necessarily the best economy.

It's very possible for Abia to make all the money in the world and have the best economy and still score last in tax collection if they are lazy and incompetent when it comes to tax collection.

You only get credit for what you collect and not for the size of your economy...

1 Like

Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by kettykin: 4:08pm On Dec 09, 2013
IGBO-SON:

I think this applies to all of the South East states where IGR is down rated so that opposition and the Public will not put their prying eyes on how the collated money is utilised .
Abia and Anambra both have the potential to generate more than N3B monthly ,the N250M that was allegedly reported by a poster as the Annual IGR of Abia might have been the monthly IGR and not annual IGR however the NBS need to explain to Abians and Nigerians why the figure for Abia was omitted
Re: Is Ebonyi State More Viable Than Anambra And Abia?---IGR by OreMI22: 6:45pm On Dec 09, 2013
[size=15pt]Anambra and Abia must plug the leakages in their IGR.

From what Ebonyi is posting as IGR, one can only imagine the monumental leakages happening to Anambra and Abia IGR.

Many people have become billionaires collecting government taxes and pocketing it!
[/size]

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Trip To A Poor Town Of Prominent Men -pictures / PDP Guber Candidate Welcomes Atiku To Zamfara / If Usa Was Nigeria, Today's Papers Headlines Would Read Something Like These-

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.