Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,581 members, 7,816,429 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:09 AM

Can Your Landlord Eject You By Force? (part One) - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Can Your Landlord Eject You By Force? (part One) (13120 Views)

Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. / How Is Your Landlord Treating You / Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You By Force? (part One) by adebayoggt(m): 7:37am On Dec 10, 2013
Ignórãmüs grin grin
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You By Force? (part One) by KDULAR: 7:44am On Dec 10, 2013
Really some tenants are something else, there was this tenant up till early this year in a now 76 years old retiree's house, this woman used all her gratuity to complete the 3 detached 2bedroom flat building, being a career civil servant she had no business while in service thus depended on her salary to take of her bills then. The woman collects her rent every quarter from her tenants ( Imagine this in Lagos). When this tenant started behaving funny ( late nights smoking Igbo and not consistent with his rent when due), the old woman gave him 3 months after the expiration of his rent to leave her house but the guy begged for another 3 months after which he refused to vacate the premises, rather went to this Lagos state landlord tenant commission.
The commission ruled another six months again denying the old woman livelihood for 1 year. At the of the 6 months they still continue of 2 weeks then 1 week notice, after again they now talked of going to court to get and eviction which will not be expediently addressed. Now I want ask if a tenant decides not to be moral and compassionate with his landlord, does the tenant deserves to be treated with compassion and morality? Would it be wrong physical but eternal curses or diablos is infused maximally into such tenants. I nfact the woman had to offer the idiot 15k to pay for haulage when he decided to move and the idiot collected it which the woman really laced with Heavy curses. Interestingly, this guy is now in serious police issues and requires the mama's help as the DPO where his case is happens to be the Mama's nephew.
Anyway, would it have been morally wrong if the woman after one year forcefully evicts the guy?

1 Like

Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You By Force? (part One) by Swiftboy(m): 7:56am On Dec 10, 2013
martronilla: tah! Military man or not, the landlord has the right to. No be him get the house? Abi im borrow money from any tenant take build am? As long as one lives under the roof of another man's house, weather he pays for rent or not, the Landlord still had controll of the activities concerning the house... You donot expect to rent a flat and throw parties every night without d landlord interfering. So in this case, The chief has been warned but stubbornly didnt give in to pay his rent... He was thrown out... No lele! End of discussion... The landlord should nt be held responsible for anything... This kindda thing happens alot in my area... They will even throw ur property outside when itz raining... They dnt care if ur tv gets spoilt. To before warn is to before harm... Abi no be so dem talk am?
Thats cos you dont know your rite! A landlord have no rite to forcefully eject anyone without the conscent of the law!
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You By Force? (part One) by josite: 8:48am On Dec 10, 2013
yes he can if he can prove that you have become a nuisance in tort.in tort he is allowed to abate a nuisance.so if im the landlord I will set you up to become an obvious nuisance to everyone including the policeman and the judge and the neighbors and forcefully abate the nuisance you have become. Abatement of nuisance is allowed under the law of tort.
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You By Force? (part One) by prodigalyarsh: 9:25am On Dec 10, 2013
no ooooooo my landlord no fit oo. unless i dy owe exess cash
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You By Force? (part One) by simplynola(m): 9:28am On Dec 10, 2013
Why must he stay put in a property that doesn't belong to him. That's the spirit of Africans, Do or Die. That's why our African leaders want to die on the post. Let him leave jor. Wont he do the same if he were the Landlord? Waayo Man!
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You By Force? (part One) by Damoty: 9:54am On Dec 10, 2013
I don't know why peoples are condemn Tenants, if Ʊ̲̣̣̣̥ know Ħơ̴̴̴͡w̶̲̥̅̊ some landlord or landlady are wicked Ʊ̲̣̣̣̥ won't be saying what Ʊ̲̣̣̣̥ are saying. Tenant is not around and Ʊ̲̣̣̣̥ went behind him to pack his property outside dat is barbaric behaviour. Everybody cannot build house in this world but if Ʊ̲̣̣̣̥ have one is a privilege 4rm God.
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You By Force? (part One) by stevecantrell: 11:58am On Dec 10, 2013
The Late Prof did the right thing.

Why usurp a property after defaulted on your rent ?
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You By Force? (part One) by ManEnough: 11:58am On Dec 10, 2013
Damoty: I don't know why peoples are condemn Tenants, if Ʊ̲̣̣̣̥ know Ħơ̴̴̴͡w̶̲̥̅̊ some landlord or landlady are wicked Ʊ̲̣̣̣̥ won't be saying what Ʊ̲̣̣̣̥ are saying. Tenant is not around and Ʊ̲̣̣̣̥ went behind him to pack his property outside dat is barbaric behaviour. Everybody cannot build house in this world but if Ʊ̲̣̣̣̥ have one is a privilege 4rm God.

If the landlords are wicked, it is a response to wicked tenants. If a man/woman saves money from his/her sweats to build a house while you use your own money to enjoy other good things of life, should the landlord now suffer for your lack of foresight if you end up being his tenant and unable to fulfill your rental obligations? In this case, the landlord rightly went to court, got judgement to evict the tenant, instead of tenant to move out, he goes back to court, seeking to extend his stay, all in an effort to frustrate the landlord. The landlord did well. Even though he is now making spurious claims, at least he is no longer doing so in that house. Let him go and build his own house if he actually had all that money. Rubbish!

1 Like

Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You By Force? (part One) by ukukaegbu(m): 12:22pm On Dec 10, 2013
sayso: Our court is so useless and insensible. How can a man claim he has all that money and airline ticket without investigating the crook and to say judgement was given based on that means our lawyers are charge and bail. A man with all that money [b]that refuses to pay his rent [/b]or hire one will be punished under a very sound legal system.

Please can you show us where it was stated that the tenant refused to pay his rent?
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You By Force? (part One) by ManEnough: 12:22pm On Dec 10, 2013
I had a tenant who did something close to this. He owed a year's rent, he became a nuisance by turning my house to a prayer centre with his white garment church members. He would burn incense, candles and shout all night long in prayers, binding and casting. He never paid PHCN bills, he never participated in environmental cleanings, he sublet(ted) one of the 3 bedrooms to a man with wife and a child, claiming they were his relations. His family members never greeted my wife, they didn''t relate with my children either. They became "the enemy within". I instructed my lawyer to issue him a quit notice after he refused to change.

Behold, before the notice expired, his church gave him lawyers from his church who advised him to go to court first before we got there, so that he can remain in the house, knowing full well that our judiciary is not in a hurry to dispense justice. He claimed in court that we wanted to evict him by force, with other false claims. He instituted the case and sought an injunction that I and my lawyer should maintain the status quo until the case is decided. My people, I was served notice to appear in court oo! For my own property ooo!!! I became a DEFENDANT!!! We were in court for nearly one year. Court was always adjourned for once a month and the magistrate will never be in court. Meanwhile, he remained in my house for another 1 year without paying rent. If na you, wetin you go do '

So, I used his nuisance against him. Went to the police and got him arrested for constituting a threat and nuisance. That was where he wrote an undertaking and gave himself 3 months to pack. The police advised me to forget the rent, seeing very clearly that the tenant didn't want to pay. My people, is this fair He went away with my nearly 2 years rent. Will I be praying for him, of course NO!

I regret not doing what the Prof did. So, I support the Prof 100%. Evil people deserve evil treatment.

1 Like

Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You By Force? (part One) by Nuezha(m): 1:50pm On Dec 10, 2013
martronilla: tah! Military man or not, the landlord has the right to. No be him get the house? Abi im borrow money from any tenant take build am? As long as one lives under the roof of another man's house, weather he pays for rent or not, the Landlord still had controll of the activities concerning the house... You donot expect to rent a flat and throw parties every night without d landlord interfering. So in this case, The chief has been warned but stubbornly didnt give in to pay his rent... He was thrown out... No lele! End of discussion... The landlord should nt be held responsible for anything... This kindda thing happens alot in my area... They will even throw ur property outside when itz raining... They dnt care if ur tv gets spoilt. To before warn is to before harm... Abi no be so dem talk am?

"...fore-warned.....fore-armed"
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You By Force? (part One) by taobao123: 3:40pm On Dec 10, 2013
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You By Force? (part One) by aduje(m): 6:12pm On Dec 10, 2013
Tenancy laws favour the tenant more than landord in our judicial system. Prof. lanlord got frustrated and took the laws into his hands. There are two ways to such issue; either go legal patiently 100% or make use of crude and uncivilized means - i.e. thuggry, spiritual etc. But in this case, the landlord could be charged for breaking and entry since he took the action in the absence of the tenant.
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You By Force? (part One) by gabbytabby: 7:20pm On Dec 10, 2013
You all should not get carried away as the story is not real but just made up by the OP.

Where a tenant is threatening and a nuisance, they are usually easier to deal with just make sure you have evidence.

1 Like

Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You By Force? (part One) by zezski(m): 11:15pm On Dec 10, 2013
martin92:

no wonder u are mr olodo. If u were banned, how were u able to comment on dis topic ?
i guess this is a new account.
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You By Force? (part One) by lavylilly: 9:55pm On Mar 12, 2021
cheesy
sayso:
Our court is so useless and insensible. How can a man claim he has all that money and airline ticket without investigating the crook and to say judgement was given based on that means our lawyers are charge and bail. A man with all that money that refuses to pay his rent or hire one will be punished under a very sound legal system.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Building Plan Of A Proposed Hostel / The Future Is Yours With N20,000 At Deewal Courts,Mile6 Ajebo Road.abeokuta / (photos)rampant Structural Window Cracks! Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.