Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,586 members, 7,958,815 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 02:59 AM

Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? (6511 Views)

Can Your Landlord Eject You By Force? (part One) / How Is Your Landlord Treating You / Sack Your Landlord With N997250 At Ogijo, Ikorodu, in Lagos State with Less Than 1m. Details Below. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by dollypenn: 5:11pm On Nov 03, 2010
Hey Nairaland,I think there should be a section on this forum where law and other legal issues can be addressed.I enjoy the way issues are addressed here and I get good advice too.now I need some law issues dealt with,how do I address it. Anyways here it is:

I live in an apartment for 5 years now. Every year, the landlord increases the rent and I pay without any qualms.

Well, this year, the landlord has asked me to quit the apartment without any written notice.  Well, I think the law says you ought to give some sort of notice before you should eject.  Now the said landlord has gone to court to get an ejection notice without first giving q quit notice.

I have a lawyer who will handle this case on the day of the summon, and my lawyer believes strongly that we have a case.  But the disturbing question is: why does our society allow such lawlessness, can you just kick out a tenant just like that?,
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by Egwugab: 5:27pm On Nov 03, 2010
Pls do not mind the Landlord. Find a lawyer and deal with him.
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Nov 03, 2010
Well, if your banging his daughter or checking out his youngest wife's backside too often, off with your luggage and stuff grin!
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Nov 03, 2010
@ Poster

Didn't you sign a tenancy agreement with him
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by zionic(m): 5:38pm On Nov 03, 2010
And am sure ur landlord inherited the house from his folks!!!
Sha give him 3 months notice to quit too, gbam! wink
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by Iranoladun(f): 5:51pm On Nov 03, 2010
I'm not a lawyer but I think the position of the law is that if you are a yearly tenant your Landlord should give you 6 months quit notice and if you are a monthly tenant it is 3 months notice.  However, your position will be stronger if you executed a tenancy agreement with Quit Notice spelt out at the inception of your tenancy.

Lawyers in the house over to you o cheesy
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by sweeti14(f): 5:55pm On Nov 03, 2010
Question: Can your Landlord eject you without a written notice?
Answer: In Nigeria? YES!!
Why in Nigeria? erm it's Nigeria. dats enough explanation undecided
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by maingate1(m): 5:58pm On Nov 03, 2010
i hope he his not a yoruba man? just last month one landlord ask a tenant to leave his house without a notice and d tenant was provn stubborn.d follown week the tenant sleft and never woke-up.please dont fight with him.GOD
will help u out.just beleive
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by 1759(m): 6:00pm On Nov 03, 2010
Iranoladun:

I'm not a lawyer but I think the position of the law is that if you are a yearly tenant your Landlord should give you 6 months quit notice  and if you are a monthly tenant it is 3 months notice.  However, your position will be stronger if you executed a tenancy agreement with Quit Notice spelt out at the inception of your tenancy.

Lawyers in the house over to you o cheesy

Very true but sadly the law is not followed in most cases. Landlords rule with such impunity in this country. Some have been known to remove the roof of the house all in a bid to force the tenant to leave. Just remember that considering the snail pace of our judicial system you are in for the long haul so buckle up and good luck.
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by Mkpotu(m): 6:04pm On Nov 03, 2010
@Poster, are u a tenant at will or a tenancy at sufferance or a Squatter, if you are not any of these, I do no think your Landlord has any case against you, except the necessary notices have earlier been issued to you.

All the same discuss with your lawyer because if you are a statutory tenant as contemplated by law, a notice to quit and Seven (7) days notice is a must-do.
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by Ultrame(m): 6:04pm On Nov 03, 2010
No sir.
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by Ranoscky(m): 6:09pm On Nov 03, 2010
Impossicant !!!
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by club12: 6:17pm On Nov 03, 2010
I feel bad whenever i hear issues like these.Ur landlord is ignorant of the law.Please go ahead with the court stuff as the case will drag on for the next 5yrs.The so-called landlord will come begging that i can assure u, Pls enjoy ur free rent while it last!!!!!
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by ZUBBYNWA(m): 6:22pm On Nov 03, 2010
@ poster, thats their everyday business
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by deniyor: 6:25pm On Nov 03, 2010
In naija yes. Maybe parts of Africa but in western world, No.
What can you do in naija? If you don't know anyone they can even arrest you for a dispute with sm1 who knows someone. The masses hv no right there.
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by lovejo(m): 6:30pm On Nov 03, 2010
thank god i'm not in that group again.
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by immi: 7:04pm On Nov 03, 2010
No he cannot expel you without giving a notice of at least 1 month
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Nov 03, 2010
Op, give him notice to quite too
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by Primenet(m): 7:20pm On Nov 03, 2010
We can help you relocate to Ikorodu without stress

Call Kason Estate & Homes

08095387058, 08031357434
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by Roulex: 7:36pm On Nov 03, 2010
me no go leave d house
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by opabukun(m): 7:51pm On Nov 03, 2010
dollypenn:

Hey Nairaland,I think there should be a section on this forum where law and other legal issues can be addressed.I enjoy the way issues are addressed here and I get good advice too.now I need some law issues dealt with,how do I address it. Anyways here it is:

I live in an apartment for 5 years now. Every year, the landlord increases the rent and I pay without any qualms.

DO LIKEWISE BRUV. A WORD IS,
IF U CAN BE DOING DAT FOR 5YEARS, WHY NOT NOW?
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by tunde121oke: 8:07pm On Nov 03, 2010
no dont be afraid get a lawyer ,they will be happy to help you ,not expensive getting one,dont act ignorant
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by buzugee(m): 8:07pm On Nov 03, 2010
if you are in nigeria, it is in your best interest to leave the house. unless of course you are heavily armed, immuned to poison and have heavy juju deflector
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by babaowo: 9:23pm On Nov 03, 2010
some tenants are also wicked,what did you to the landlord,tell the blunt truth, nobody will slap you here,stop lyiing tell the truth man.
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by naijaobi(m): 9:46pm On Nov 03, 2010
Trust me you will win in court, shocked
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by opabukun(m): 9:46pm On Nov 03, 2010
babaowo:

some tenants are also wicked,what did you to the landlord,tell the blunt truth, nobody will slap you here,stop lyiing tell the truth man.

GBAM!!!^^^
BABA OWO OF OWO LAND!
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by lawyer(m): 9:51pm On Nov 03, 2010
Hmmm! I think i have to address this issue properly with a full article very soon to assist a lot of people in this situation. But the long and short of it is that once there is no valid quit notice you cannot be ejected without the requisite 6 months notice if its a yearly tenancy and no court can up hold such a law to eject the tenant unless the tenancy agreement has been fully adhered to and the quit notice duly followed.

@poster don't be shy to go to court if the landlord has not given you a valid quit notice. As long as the case is in court you continue to be a tenant till the case is settled. Tenancy laws are one of the most strictest laws the court doesnt play with so if your landlord is at fault make him know that by making him know he cannot subjugate the law too.

Only downside is that your lawyer go chop o! tongue LOL

Cheers
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by invisible2(m): 10:20pm On Nov 03, 2010
club12:

I feel bad whenever i hear issues like these.your landlord is ignorant of the law.Please go ahead with the court stuff as the case will drag on for the next 5yrs.The so-called landlord will come begging that i can assure u, Pls enjoy your free rent while it last!!!!!
Supposing the landlord storms your house while the case is in court and dumps all your kpale outside the gate with the help of thugs and rents the house, what will you do apart from fighting a losing battle in court. You may win but your reputation as a trouble making tenant will last you some decades.
I feel sick when people advise people to solve illegality with illegality. Poster, go and find out why he wants you to leave. It will be cheaper and safer in the long run
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by yjay(f): 10:49pm On Nov 03, 2010
club12:

I feel bad whenever i hear issues like these.your landlord is ignorant of the law.Please go ahead with the court stuff as the case will drag on for the next 5yrs.The so-called landlord will come begging that i can assure u, Pls enjoy your free rent while it last!!!!!

very true, happened in front of my house, the case has been in court for over 3yrs now & the guy hasnt paid rent since then, yeah ure rite club12 definitely a case of beaten more than he can chew
Re: Can Your Landlord Eject You Without A Written Notice? by MOORCHMOORE(m): 10:59pm On Nov 03, 2010
babaowo:

IT SEEMS LIKE YOU PAPA NA ONE OF THOSE WICKED LAND LORDS THAT SERVERS TENANTS PREMATURE NOTICES. YOU ARE A CRETIN, WHAT TRUTH YOU WANT TO EXCAVATE FROM HIS MOUTH, WHEN YOU HARD HIM COMPLAINING OF YEARLY INCREAMENTS.

KNOW IT THAT I LIVE IN PUBLIC HOUSE, WHENEVER YOUR L-LORD START MAKING INCESSANT INCREAMENTS, ITS A SIMPLE WAY OF ASKING YOU TO PARK OUT

(1) (2) (Reply)

Properties For Sale In Lagos Nigeria / Half Plot Of Land With A 2 Bedroom Bungalow For Sale / Cost Of Achitetural Drawings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.