Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,676 members, 7,823,910 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:03 PM

Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians (39594 Views)

40 Profitable Small Businesses In Nigeria Today / List OF 40 Profitable Small Scale Businesses In Nigeria You Can Start / 5 Profitable Small Business Ideas In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by nekede11(m): 6:25pm On Dec 14, 2013
I love u op
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by honeric01(m): 6:27pm On Dec 14, 2013
Nice one op, following.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by fckyourman: 6:28pm On Dec 14, 2013
God Bless you.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Johnklein(m): 6:29pm On Dec 14, 2013
I'm In
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by kemzykoko(f): 6:30pm On Dec 14, 2013
@OP, all these ideas make sense well too. But pls answer this question. Define a Small business?
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by popoboy(m): 6:35pm On Dec 14, 2013
Tolite22: I hope everyone's having a swell weekend.

I am very happy with the level of interest in this thread and would like to thank everyone who has given their kind feedback. I am deeply encouraged by your responses. Of course, this includes the many others who have been reading 'silently'; I see you too. wink

As promised, I look forward to sharing my next lucrative small business idea with you on Monday.

Until then, happy reading! cool

Op you must have a special eye to see people like me reading silently. Just wanted to encourage you to keep up the gud work. Maybe i may see an interesting business idea to tap into since am resigning from this silly job by Jan.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by funkyprof: 6:43pm On Dec 14, 2013
@op, Thanks for your dedication and please keep up the good work

1 Like

Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by johhnnie(m): 6:48pm On Dec 14, 2013
My dear op, I can only say that I love You. May God bless You real good. You may not understand what I M saying for now........
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by jascopassion(m): 6:58pm On Dec 14, 2013
Its OZ
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by 32D: 7:08pm On Dec 14, 2013
olawonder: All these ideas seem far fetch of 'small businesses' to me. For me o, am looking to open a large buka someday. Make it as traditional as possible with main foods from various part of the country; am talking about proper homemade effo riro, banga, ohha, edikaikong etc. Foods are prepared openly with fresh stock of fresh and dried fish, live goats and assorted meats are made available every single day. No flashy seat and silly lights, nothing posh or dramatic, just quality freshly cooked traditional recipes. It'll be nice to build the place to layout as I wish, but leasing a place is also an option (but has to be a big premise). No breakfast, opened just lunch to dinner times... I am a postgraduate student of Social Sciences, but this is my dream if I were to own a business.
Wow u stole my dream....God is watching u o.

1 Like

Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by tess22: 7:13pm On Dec 14, 2013
Thanks OP for taking the time & effort to inform us of these great ideas. May God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Nobody: 7:22pm On Dec 14, 2013
great thread
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Agbaka1: 7:25pm On Dec 14, 2013
I like business followed by skill (handwork)
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by obinoral(m): 7:26pm On Dec 14, 2013
Bisjosh: Bookmarked
instead of that u follow the op and u get the info once he update.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Tolite22(m): 7:29pm On Dec 14, 2013
olawonder: All these ideas seem far fetch of 'small businesses' to me. For me o, am looking to open a large buka someday. Make it as traditional as possible with main foods from various part of the country; am talking about proper homemade effo riro, banga, ohha, edikaikong etc. Foods are prepared openly with fresh stock of fresh and dried fish, live goats and assorted meats are made available every single day. No flashy seat and silly lights, nothing posh or dramatic, just quality freshly cooked traditional recipes. It'll be nice to build the place to layout as I wish, but leasing a place is also an option (but has to be a big premise). No breakfast, opened just lunch to dinner times... I am a postgraduate student of Social Sciences, but this is my dream if I were to own a business.

Olawonder,

You are very correct about the food business; it is actually one of the most lucrative businesses in Nigeria. In fact, it's Number 7 on my Top 10 list of small business ideas. I'll have to upgrade another idea to replace it since you have now let the cat out of the bag grin

Whether you call it 'Mama Put', 'buka', 'Mr. Biggs' or 'Chicken Republic', all of these businesses are focused on one customer: your stomach. All these businesses I just mentioned are just 'packaged' in different ways to appeal to diverse segments of the Nigerian market. Those who cannot afford to eat at Chicken Republic almost always end up at some 'Mama Put' restaurant where food is much cheaper. And if you watch very closely, business is always booming at these 'joints'. It doesn't matter whether you visit these places to quench your hunger or impress your girlfriend. Food business is such a huge and impressive opportunity in Nigeria.

Why are food businesses booming in Nigeria, you may ask. Well, here are just a few pointers:

1. Population: With a population of over 170 million people in this country, there are just so many mouths to feed. The larger the population, the greater the demand for prepared foods. It's just common logic.

2. Growing urbanization: Thousands of people are leaving the rural areas and moving to the cities. State capitals and commercial centres like Lagos, Ibadan, Benin, Warri, Port Harcourt, Onitsha, Aba and Abuja are swelling in number as more people flock in to pursue the 'Nigerian dream' - jobs, business opportunities, education etc. This huge influx is driving up the demand for restaurant businesses. It's easier and cheaper for these people to feed at restaurants before they find their feet and settle into their own homes.

3. No time: Yes, very few people have the time to prepare their own food due to the limited time in their lives. Every morning, millions of Nigerians leave their homes to school, the office, markets, travel etc. Many of us now depend on restaurants and caterers for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This is a common and recurring pattern in our daily lives that restaurant businesses have come to dominate.

4. Lower cost, flexibility and convenience: Who wants to go to the market to buy foodstuffs, kerosene, firewood or cooking gas? Simple anwer: Very few. After a tough day's work for many of us, the last thing we want is to enter the kitchen to do more work (that's if you can actually cook). Buying food from restaurants is now a cheaper, flexible and more convenient option for most people.

These are just a few reasons why the restaurant business is booming and will continue to explode as Nigeria's population and economic growth continues in the coming years. Although this business appears to be a 'no-brainer', starting a food business requires creativity and careful planning. Concept, Location and Planning are just a few important things you must consider before you start this business.

To find out everything you need to know about the Food and restaurant business, I suggest you take your time to read the following article. I'm sure you'll find it very useful!

The Restaurant goldmine – How to start a food service business of your own in Africa today!
http://smallstarter.com/browse-ideas/agribusiness-and-food/how-to-start-a-restaurant

I hope you're encouraged to bring your dream of starting a large buka into reality. I would like to share your thoughts and suggestions please.

Thank you!

NB: @ Olawonder, you finally succeeded in getting me to reveal one of my business ideas during a weekend. Nice one. I really enjoyed sharing it. cool
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Chigorkizz(m): 7:30pm On Dec 14, 2013
i dey come make i drink garri.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by 24in7: 7:32pm On Dec 14, 2013
@Poster u're too much, infact ur rules of sharing this thread to ALL, is worth praising, i give u 99.9% grin
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by oluplus(m): 7:35pm On Dec 14, 2013
Good job op
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Tolite22(m): 7:45pm On Dec 14, 2013
kemzykoko: @OP, all these ideas make sense well too. But pls answer this question. Define a Small business?

Brilliant question! I should have said something about this when I started this thread.

Technically, small businesses are defined by their size (number of employees). Typically, any business that has between 1 (self-employed) and 50 employees qualifies to be called a small business.

However, you and I know that there are one-man 'briefcase' businesses in Nigeria that control billions of naira. As a result, personally, I think the term is very subjective. A business with N500k in startup capital may seem like a big business to you but to a bank manager or oil worker, it's just small.

I thought I should answer the question from both technical and 'real life' perspectives so you get the full picture.

I hope this explanation helps?? smiley

1 Like

Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by newwavemotors: 7:53pm On Dec 14, 2013
Thanks a lot for sharing these thoughts with us, God bless you. I am studying them and hope once am ready, you will be willing to partner with me.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by gentlelyfe(m): 7:58pm On Dec 14, 2013
what time
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by boay(m): 8:01pm On Dec 14, 2013
Wonderful!!!

It is very dazzling to read these ideas on Nairaland. Mr. OP, you are weldone. Keep it up. I believe so many people are consuming this.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by 1miccza: 8:02pm On Dec 14, 2013
www.nairaland.com

Please how can any of us understudy Laura Rutto or at least contact her @ Op May God reward your efforts with success . This is much more than a gold mine. This waste to wealth scheme is the best for me considering my field of study....
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by upengineer: 8:08pm On Dec 14, 2013
With all these ideas, somebody somewhere is still complaining of no job, praying and fasting to win visa lottery, washing plate in God knows country. I beg, money dey naija
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by upengineer: 8:08pm On Dec 14, 2013
With all these ideas, somebody somewhere is still complaining of no job, praying and fasting to win visa lottery, washing plate in God knows country. I beg, money dey naija
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Nobody: 8:12pm On Dec 14, 2013
Nice Job @op. Following asap.
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Opiosko: 8:17pm On Dec 14, 2013
upengineer: With all these ideas, somebody somewhere is still complaining of no job, praying and fasting to win visa lottery, washing plate in God knows country. I beg, money dey naija
Calm down kid, no everyone wants to go into small business .
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Tolite22(m): 8:22pm On Dec 14, 2013
1mic_cza: www.nairaland.com

Please how can any of us understudy Laura Rutto or at least contact her @ Op May God reward your efforts with success . This is much more than a gold mine. This waste to wealth scheme is the best for me considering my field of study....

I'm not sure if Lorna offers any mentorship or coaching programs. But you can introduce yourself and request for assistance through her website at http://www.ecopost.co.ke/
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by 1miccza: 8:33pm On Dec 14, 2013
Tolite22: I hope everyone's having a swell weekend.

I am very happy with the level of interest in this thread and would like to thank everyone who has given their kind feedback. I am deeply encouraged by your responses. Of course, this includes the many others who have been reading 'silently'; I see you too. wink

As promised, I look forward to sharing my next lucrative small business idea with you on Monday.

Until then, happy reading! cool

Please Tolite can we chat??Ma email is mimixlnt@gmail.com. If you are on bb, my pin's 217f42bd
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by 1miccza: 8:35pm On Dec 14, 2013
Tolite22:

I'm not sure if Lorna offers any mentorship or coaching programs. But you can introduce yourself and request for assistance through her website at http://www.ecopost.co.ke/

Thanks so much I most certainly will...
Re: Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians by Treasure103(f): 8:37pm On Dec 14, 2013
Op thanks for this info. I have #500k and I live in Abuja. What business do u think I can do with that,renting shops here are so expensive,paying for any how shop may not work becos of demolition here and there. Thanks n waiting for your response.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Strips Unclad At Debtor's House To Demand He Pays Him His Money / Man Shares How He Made It In Business / How To Make Money On Facebook In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.