Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,075 members, 7,818,217 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:36 AM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (3264) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3749293 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3261) (3262) (3263) (3264) (3265) (3266) (3267) ... (3834) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Ilamina(f): 9:46pm On Oct 17, 2022
The Nanny Diaries
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by kendrick93(m): 4:59am On Oct 18, 2022
Ambulance (2022)- 4/10
Took my three days to complete this movie.
Not a fan of Micheal bay direction at all
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Frostyzone(m): 7:09am On Oct 18, 2022
abduleez1:

Being pg13 doesn't necessarily mean another project that is also PG-13 is catering to the same demographic.
Shazam is PG-13 but you can't say its in the same demographic as something like The Batman cos it's also PG-13. We all know who turned up for Batman; definitely not kids.

Age as well as gender and ethnicity decides demographics. Not only if it's rated PG for general consumption. Is it mainly for white male? Black female or Hispanic?
I think Shazam is more geared towards 18 yr olds and lesser. While Avatar is geared towards an older audience especially since the movie premiered 13yrs ago. The people who grew up with it will be older now this pushing up its age range.
Genre also plays a role. Shazam 2 is action comedy while Avatar is Sci fi, Fantasy & adventure.
Avatar 2 will most likely appeal to adult white males more.

Nah, Avatar 2 is family friendly in that it's geared towards the general audience albeit with caveat that anyone below 13 years must be chaperoned. Demographic in this context simply entails the general audience, nothing more. The first Avatar wouldn't be the highest grossing film ever if it's specifically designed to appeal to a niche group.

Ditto Shazam 1&2. It's geared towards the general audience but with some content that might be inappropriate to people under 13 years.

The same people that would troop in to watch Avatar 2 will also troop in to watch Shazam 2. In this scenario, genre doesn't really matter. Besides, when you break Shazam 1&2 genre into their rudimentary components, you'd see that they do have elements of sci-fi in them. The sum of these rudimentary components is what we call genre.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Frostyzone(m): 7:21am On Oct 18, 2022
Nickshrapnel:
Shazam held it own against Endgame, a culmination 20+ movies and did fine, I think it was moved because WB don’t want it to do just fine at the box office, they want it to do excellent numbers. If they wanted the previous BO return, they’d leave it at the December date.

You'd expect a superhero movie on a budget of 100m to at least gross 500m especially since its word of mouth was very positive, no? The box office return failed to match the reception, which can only be surmised that it took a beating from Captain Marvel and later on, Endgame. Technically, it didn't bomb but I couldn't help but wonder what could have been if WB hadn't release it so close to the competition.

At least, they have learned from the past.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 7:56am On Oct 18, 2022
Frostyzone:

Nah, Avatar 2 is family friendly in that it's geared towards the general audience albeit with caveat that anyone below 13 years must be chaperoned. Demographic in this context simply entails the general audience, nothing more. The first Avatar wouldn't be the highest grossing film ever if it's specifically designed to appeal to a niche group.

Ditto Shazam 1&2. It's geared towards the general audience but with some content that might be inappropriate to people under 13 years.

The same people that would troop in to watch Avatar 2 will also troop in to watch Shazam 2. In this scenario, genre doesn't really matter. Besides, when you break Shazam 1&2 genre into their rudimentary components, you'd see that they do have elements of sci-fi in them. The sum of these rudimentary components is what we call genre.

You might be right tho.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by IbrahimMav: 8:10am On Oct 18, 2022
Kaycee7:
Weekend movie 2 secured
You won't regret it.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by IbrahimMav: 8:12am On Oct 18, 2022
Halloween Ends (2022).....5/10

A somewhat disappointing end to the Mike Myers trilogy.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Baddestguyp(m): 8:14am On Oct 18, 2022
Frostyzone:

You'd expect a superhero movie on a budget of 100m to at least gross 500m especially since its word of mouth was very positive, no? The box office return failed to match the reception, which can only be surmised that it took a beating from Endgame and later on, Captain Marvel. Technically, it didn't bomb but I couldn't help but wonder what could have been if WB hadn't release it so close to the competition.

At least, they have learned from the past.

I hated the Shazam movie tho...
Along with Captain Marvel they were the worst movies I watched in 2019

Maybe the reason it didn't generate as much is cos the movie was terrible?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nickshrapnel: 8:35am On Oct 18, 2022
Baddestguyp:

Shazam was okay, Captain Marvel? No no.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Frostyzone(m): 8:50am On Oct 18, 2022
Baddestguyp:

Hind sight is 20/20.

At the time it happened, it's forgivable to think this way since you're not privy to all the variables, but looking back now, it's clear as daylight as to why Shazam didn't do Aquaman kind of numbers.

Personally I think Shazam was a better movie than Aquaman and could have outgrossed Aquaman or on par, if WB had waited till the 3rd quarter to release it.

As for Captain Marvel, it was a resounding success story mainly because it rode on the goodwill that Endgame hype generated. Smart marketing by Marvel.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 9:03am On Oct 18, 2022
Frostyzone:

Hind sight is 20/20.

At the time it happened, it's forgivable to think this way since you're not privy to all the variables, but looking back now, it's clear as daylight as to why Shazam didn't do Aquaman kind of numbers.

Personally I think Shazam was a better movie than Aquaman and could have outgrossed Aquaman or on par, if WB had waited till the 3rd quarter to release it.

As for Captain Marvel, it was a resounding success story mainly because it rode on the goodwill that Endgame generated. Smart marketing by MCU.

Lol, I don't think or see any universe Shazam is grossing Aquaman numbers. grin
The highest that movie could have seen is around $600mn.
I will never forgive WB for that distribution blunder in 2019 sandwiching Shazam in between two big marvel movies, especially in a time when they were huge question marks in DCEU.

Aquaman did have a superb holiday Xmas season to buoy it. As well as a humongous China gross to boost it. Aquaman also had cameos in previous movies that had already made him familiar to general audience. Shazam didn't have that.
With these indices I don't see how Shazam was matching Aquaman.
Even it's sequel Fury of The Gods can't hope for that billion dollar.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Baddestguyp(m): 9:09am On Oct 18, 2022
Frostyzone:

Hind sight is 20/20.

As for Captain Marvel, it was a resounding success story mainly because it rode on the goodwill that Endgame hype generated. Smart marketing by Marvel.
or maybe Shazam was just terrible like I said.

Captain Marvel was the biggest scam by marvel. They decieved us into thinking it was a relevant movie for end game
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Frostyzone(m): 10:14am On Oct 18, 2022
abduleez1:

Lol, I don't think or see any universe Shazam is grossing Aquaman numbers. grin
The highest that movie could have seen is around $600mn.
I will never forgive WB for that distribution blunder in 2019 sandwiching Shazam in between two big marvel movies, especially in a time when they were huge question marks in DCEU.

Aquaman did have a superb holiday Xmas season to buoy it. As well as a humongous China gross to boost it. Aquaman also had cameos in previous movies that had already made him familiar to general audience. Shazam didn't have that.
With these indices I don't see how Shazam was matching Aquaman.
Even it's sequel Fury of The Gods can't hope for that billion dollar.

People often forget that Shazam is the closest DC movie to the Marvel formula - which, for better or worse, just works.

In an alternate universe where Shazam didn't have Endgame and CM to content with, I'd like to believe it charmed its way into the prestigious billion dollar club.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by ShaqFu: 3:47pm On Oct 18, 2022
Accident Man: the Hitmans Holiday.

Poco the Killer Clown. Men I didn't see that one coming. grin cheesy
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SOZINN: 3:51pm On Oct 18, 2022
Now that is the next dc material that could gross a billion dollars.

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nickshrapnel: 4:25pm On Oct 18, 2022
SOZINN:
If done right
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by BlackManta(m): 5:00pm On Oct 18, 2022
SOZINN:

If WB gives Superman the same care and special treatment they give Batman, maybe they might see a billion
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 5:49pm On Oct 18, 2022
SOZINN:

Aquaman 2 and the Flash would like a word. cool
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SOZINN: 5:51pm On Oct 18, 2022
abduleez1:

Aquaman 2 and the Flash would like a word. cool

Aquaman 2 maybe. The Flash with everything going on with Ezra Miller. Not a fucking chance. grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SOZINN: 6:06pm On Oct 18, 2022
And fans on nairaland were busy waiting for it to make a billion at the BO, not knowing they nearly fuçked it up like Suicide Squad 2021 and Birds Of Prey. grin

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 6:21pm On Oct 18, 2022
SOZINN:
And fans on nairaland were busy waiting for it to make a billion at the BO, not knowing they nearly fuçked it up like Suicide Squad 2021 and Birds Of Prey. grin

Birds of Prey R rating decision was the stupidest marketing decision DC ever had as well as the stupid name when they should have named it Harley Quinn and co.

Joker is a billion dollar R rated w@nker tho. grin grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 6:26pm On Oct 18, 2022
SOZINN:

Aquaman 2 maybe. The Flash with everything going on with Ezra Miller. Not a fucking chance. grin

Ezra Miller's case is just a matter of controversy and many overbloated stories. The dude is wild but majority of the shït thrown at him is mainly propaganda.

Flash has a multiverse story going for it...the biggest DC event movie in years. Multiple major characters as well as Cavill and Batfleck back!! Those are the biggest marketing. Also the Flash character is way bigger than the actor portraying it.
A quasi Crisis storyline is a big draw for comic fans.

If Flash don't hit it's potential, I see at least $850mn.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by NaijaMemes: 6:37pm On Oct 18, 2022
New Creed movie trailer don land!! Creed 3 coming next year!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHmCH7iB_IM

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SOZINN: 7:29pm On Oct 18, 2022
abduleez1:

Ezra Miller's case is just a matter of controversy and many overbloated stories. The dude is wild but majority of the shït thrown at him is mainly propaganda.

Flash has a multiverse story going for it...the biggest DC event movie in years. Multiple major characters as well as Cavill and Batfleck back!! Those are the biggest marketing. Also the Flash character is way bigger than the actor portraying it.
A quasi Crisis storyline is a big draw for comic fans.

If Flash don't hit it's potential, I see at least $850mn.

Michael Keaton's Batman and Supergirl will also appear in it. A lot of work has gone into the production of that film, but I don't understand why they want to take chances. There is too much proof, there are too many witnesses, and there is video of Ezra Miller literally hitting a woman on the street, so the case is more than just a source of debate or exaggerated allegations. Although he has acknowledged having mental health problems and he is actively seeking help, he could go away for 26 years if found guilty.

I don't know if comic book fans won't mind a controversial actor playing the role of the flash but I know that there's a whole article on Hollywood dot come about how his actions and that of JK Rowling's contributed to the fall of Fantastic Beasts at the box office but ok. In my opinion, they should fire Ezra, reshoot those scenes with another actor while he sorts himself out, and extend the release date if needed. But if they are willing to take the risk, no problem. I care too much about the flash movie to miss it because of him but you know how cancel culture works.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by WriterNig: 7:37pm On Oct 18, 2022
The "Feet" grin

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Kaycee7(m): 7:52pm On Oct 18, 2022
SOZINN:

They can still set up The Flash for a billi if they get their marketing right
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Kaycee7(m): 7:54pm On Oct 18, 2022
SOZINN:

Michael Keaton's Batman and Supergirl will also appear in it. A lot of work has gone into the production of that film, but I don't understand why they want to take chances. There is too much proof, there are too many witnesses, and there is video of Ezra Miller literally hitting a woman on the street, so the case is more than just a source of debate or exaggerated allegations. Although he has acknowledged having mental health problems and he is actively seeking help, he could go away for 26 years if found guilty.

I don't know if comic book fans won't mind a controversial actor playing the role of the flash but I know that there's a whole article on Hollywood dot come about how his actions and that of JK Rowling's contributed to the fall of Fantastic Beasts at the box office but ok. In my opinion, they should fire Ezra, reshoot those scenes with another actor while he sorts himself out, and extend the release date if needed. But if they are willing to take the risk, no problem. I care too much about the flash movie to miss it because of him but you know how cancel culture works.
26 years? He kill person? Haba!

Reshooting the scenes of your lead actor is basically reshooting the whole movie. Premium waste of money. Better to salvage your proceeds with marketing.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Kaycee7(m): 7:56pm On Oct 18, 2022
NaijaMemes:
New Creed movie trailer don land!! Creed 3 coming next year!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHmCH7iB_IM
Killmonger vs Kang
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by NaijaMemes: 7:59pm On Oct 18, 2022
Kaycee7:
Killmonger vs Kang

Nice. You are one of the few that watched Loki series.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 8:26pm On Oct 18, 2022
My boy cooking.... cool wink

Jonathan Majors gonna bloody this role!!! cheesy

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 8:38pm On Oct 18, 2022
SOZINN:

Lol, I'm already aware of Keaton's and Sasha Calle's appearance.

Fantastic Beasts performance is all on Jk Rowling and to most part the previous movies being weak.
Nothing really related to the casts. Except maybe the Johnny Depp recast. Miller's presence or actions was negligible sef.

I don't think you've been following the "witnesses" case thoroughly cos most of their talk is sensationalism and hardly solid proof to nail him.

Ezra hitting 2 women in the past are some years back and not recent. Only other case of physicality from him is his issue at Hawaii. But reports suggests he was provoked.

TBF many of the headlines and stories on Hollywood about him are just sensationalism and some sort of agenda to nail him. The peculiar interest Hollywood took to his case is weird especially when most of the cases seemingly looks like a smear campaign.

The guy can get the fvvk outta DCEU and be recasted for the next movie but some of the stuff about him have been purely propaganda.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 8:54pm On Oct 18, 2022
Kaycee7:

26 years? He kill person? Haba!

Reshooting the scenes of your lead actor is basically reshooting the whole movie. Premium waste of money. Better to salvage your proceeds with marketing.

Person wey plead not guilty yesterday.

People think say reshoots and recast for $200mn+ movie na beans. Only reshoots to change the ending of the movie to accommodate a recast for the next film possibly costs $50mn+ more.
Talkless of major reshoots for a major character.

Lmao... We talking about additional $150mn for an almost finished movie.

When that movie releases, it'll be almost impossible to make profits not even talking of the several movies in the pipeline it's going to affect or delay.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (3261) (3262) (3263) (3264) (3265) (3266) (3267) ... (3834) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: Meel, oyaskii(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.