Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,136 members, 7,818,422 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (3279) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3750439 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3276) (3277) (3278) (3279) (3280) (3281) (3282) ... (3834) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by EniyanNla: 6:19am On Oct 29, 2022
Frostyzone:
Barbarian

My word, what in the Vermithor did I just watch?! shocked shocked

This film's has got everything. It's scary, it's crazy, it's hilarious, it's fvcked up, it's unpredictable. It's hands down the best horror i've seen this year. No contest.
Babarian 5/10, not that good.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by EniyanNla: 6:20am On Oct 29, 2022
pu7pl3:

Superman but with very high difficulty.
Injustice version of superman beats adam with minimal difficulty
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Kaycee7(m): 6:31am On Oct 29, 2022
Weekend Watch List

- Penguin Highway (2018)
For a child, Aoyama has knowledge comparable to an adult. As such, he is often teased by his classmates. He also has a crush on the friendly woman he recently met at a dental office. One morning, penguins start mysteriously appearing around his neighborhood. Nobody knows where they came from and how they managed to get there. Aoyama is determined to find out more, and he joins his new crush in researching the penguins.

- Nobody (2021)
Hutch Mansell finds his life changed when a few thieves break into his house. While trying to punish the thieves, he ends up earning the wrath of a crime lord, Yulian, after he attacks his brother.

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 7:05am On Oct 29, 2022
AnfieldFan:

If it falls to Eternals' 2.31x that's $154,779,986

If it's Venom's 2.37x that's $158,800,245

Let's say it even holds better than Venom 2's legs at 2.4 that still barely breaks the $160M mark at $160,810,375

Considering the suggested 2.7x multiplier for blockbuster movies needing OS heavy lifting to breakeven on its budget, this movie needs $380M from OS markets including China to get past $540M WW..
Copied...

The point of the post was to highlight it tracking very close with two post-pandemic films whose legs were 2.31x and 2.37x... Ergo, my post about it's legs looking wonky...

Also, it's obvious to any one who knows about B.O numbers or interested in those sort of things that the post was strictly referring to the tracking of B.A in comparison to Eternals and Venom post opening, I don't think it was misleading at all...

I'm not judging it, this is me saying Purple's 1 billion + total doesn't look possible...Or even your prediction of 700m I think...

Well, why I said it's misleading it's cos it ain't straight forward or easy to grasp for general audience — people who aren't into that sort of data. If not that I'm into that niche data and closely follow its performance I would have misread those info.

Everyone knows Pu7pl3's prediction is fantasy at best. grin cheesy That's if he isn't clowning.

My 700± prediction is best case scenario.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 7:24am On Oct 29, 2022
AnfieldFan:
On a side note Abdule..ez1, do you think B.A will still make 700m?

I don't think so. Here's my initial thoughts on the movie. ↓↓

Based on a rough estimate and calculations I did yesterday taking into account Black Panther's release, I'm seeing something around $580-650mn.
It would get high 600mn mark if it does really well in China. I'm looking at $120mn at least for the Middle Kingdom. Could add up $70mn or more.

But The Rock is probably the leggiest actor in this era. That's one key factor to consider. There's also upcoming BP which we have to take into consideration on how the film will perform when it gets solid competition.

But he has faced stiff competition before even recently. Many people forget 2019 where Jumanji had to face off with Star Wars in December. And it still hit $800mn while SW did $1bn. Judging by these, we never can tell.
We'll see.....

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 8:09am On Oct 29, 2022
pu7pl3:

I'm starring in the colour purple
Make sure to see it in theaters.

You wan represent. grin grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Frostyzone(m): 8:19am On Oct 29, 2022
EniyanNla:
Babarian 5/10, not that good.
It's not my fault you've no taste.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 8:29am On Oct 29, 2022
Vawulence on a Saturday morning.... grin grin

Exquisite!!! cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by DandeNumeruno(m): 8:29am On Oct 29, 2022
NaijaMemes:

Indian film? undecided undecided sad

Werey dey disguise.

JeromeBlack, I see you.

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by WriterNig: 8:57am On Oct 29, 2022
All Quiet On The Western Front (2022) = 9/10 ✔️

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by WriterNig: 9:00am On Oct 29, 2022
American Murderer (2022) = 6/10 ✔️

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by NaijaMemes: 9:06am On Oct 29, 2022
DandeNumeruno:

Werey dey disguise.

JeromeBlack, I see you.

I see you too madlad
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pu7pl3(m): 10:12am On Oct 29, 2022
abduleez1:

You wan represent. grin grin

I no get choice grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 10:46am On Oct 29, 2022
Where is Dierich5?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by AnfieldFan: 12:28pm On Oct 29, 2022
abduleez1:

I don't think so. Here's my initial thoughts on the movie. ↓↓

Based on a rough estimate and calculations I did yesterday taking into account Black Panther's release, I'm seeing something around $580-650mn.
It would get high 600mn mark if it does really well in China. I'm looking at $120mn at least for the Middle Kingdom. Could add up $70mn or more.

But The Rock is probably the leggiest actor in this era. That's one key factor to consider. There's also upcoming BP which we have to take into consideration on how the film will perform when it gets solid competition.

But he has faced stiff competition before even recently. Many people forget 2019 where Jumanji had to face off with Star Wars in December. And it still hit $800mn while SW did $1bn. Judging by these, we never can tell.
We'll see.....
If it gets 600m with China, it will break even...
If it keeps on tracking like this though(mid week), it will need around 150m from China to get 600m WW..

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 1:47pm On Oct 29, 2022
AnfieldFan:

If it gets 600m with China, it will break even...
If it keeps on tracking like this though(mid week), it will need around 150m from China to get 600m WW..

Black Adam doesn't need 600mn to break even.
It's break even point is $500mn which is 2.5x its budget.

$600mn means it's profitable. Anything above that are bonuses

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by camri: 3:41pm On Oct 29, 2022
Kaycee7:
Weekend Watch List

- Penguin Highway (2018)
For a child, Aoyama has knowledge comparable to an adult. As such, he is often teased by his classmates. He also has a crush on the friendly woman he recently met at a dental office. One morning, penguins start mysteriously appearing around his neighborhood. Nobody knows where they came from and how they managed to get there. Aoyama is determined to find out more, and he joins his new crush in researching the penguins.

- Nobody (2021)
Hutch Mansell finds his life changed when a few thieves break into his house. While trying to punish the thieves, he ends up earning the wrath of a crime lord, Yulian, after he attacks his brother.
next time, add spoiler alert when typing your narratives. You are spoiling things for majority of us that ve not seen the films

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by camri: 3:48pm On Oct 29, 2022
AnfieldFan:

If it falls to Eternals' 2.31x that's $154,779,986

If it's Venom's 2.37x that's $158,800,245

Let's say it even holds better than Venom 2's legs at 2.4 that still barely breaks the $160M mark at $160,810,375

Considering the suggested 2.7x multiplier for blockbuster movies needing OS heavy lifting to breakeven on its budget, this movie needs $380M from OS markets including China to get past $540M WW..
Copied...

The point of the post was to highlight it tracking very close with two post-pandemic films whose legs were 2.31x and 2.37x... Ergo, my post about it's legs looking wonky...

Also, it's obvious to any one who knows about B.O numbers or interested in those sort of things that the post was strictly referring to the tracking of B.A in comparison to Eternals and Venom post opening, I don't think it was misleading at all...

I'm not judging it, this is me saying Purpleen your
nawa oh. See as this one dey drop numbers like say we dey maths class

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by AnfieldFan: 7:43pm On Oct 29, 2022
abduleez1:

Black Adam doesn't need 600mn to break even.
It's break even point is $500mn which is 2.5x its budget.

$600mn means it's profitable. Anything above that are bonuses

It's break even point is 540 or thereabouts.....The general rule of thumb for budgets of 80m and above is 2.7*....

9 times out of 10, any 200m movie that grosses 500m WW did not recoup it's investment...
BA being a 195 movie still falls under the same metric...

The popular 2.5x came about from a wide evaluation of films in general which includes a lot of low budget films....

I don't know if I will get banned for this but check this link out...

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/yd0lhn/the_breakeven_multiplier_for_films_with_budgets/
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pu7pl3(m): 8:21pm On Oct 29, 2022
Black Adam aka 1.7bn
This movie was really enjoyable, without violence man is nothing.
I really loved the dynamic between Hawkman and Black Adam. More of that please James Gunn.
Noah was a good atom smasher and cyclone did her thing with aplomb too.
Amanda Waller, badass as ever.
My only gripe was Dr Fate being nerfed big time, but I understand sha.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nickshrapnel: 8:23pm On Oct 29, 2022
pu7pl3:
Black Adam aka 1.7bn
I really loved the dynamic between Hawkman and Black Adam. More of that please James Gunn.
He was nerfed, yes. But they cast the perfect man for him, his voice was incredible.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pu7pl3(m): 9:06pm On Oct 29, 2022
Nickshrapnel:
He was nerfed, yes. But they cast the perfect man for him, his voice was incredible.

yessir
The casting choice was spot on.
I hope he continues, somehow.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:11pm On Oct 29, 2022
AnfieldFan:

It's break even point is 540 or thereabouts.....The general rule of thumb for budgets of 80m and above is 2.7*....

9 times out of 10, any 200m movie that grosses 500m WW did not recoup it's investment...
BA being a 195 movie still falls under the same metric...

The popular 2.5x came about from a wide evaluation of films in general which includes a lot of low budget films....

I don't know if I will get banned for this but check this link out...

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/yd0lhn/the_breakeven_multiplier_for_films_with_budgets/

Even if we adjust the break even point to 2.7x, the profitability point of BA is still around $600-620mn I postulated earlier.
Of course I know since the movie cost a lot more than average movies it's profit point will be higher.
Still, the link you provided still states ALL movies hitting the 3.1x multiplier probably made profits.
Going by that Black Adam needs 620mn.

I found a bit of an issue with the data posted for A Star is Born. Generally, studios don't spend marketing budgets above the production costs itself. Not to talk of tripling / 33% above production budget. I find that data questionble.

What I know, studios have about 50%+ of a movie's production spend for marketing & distribution or in some rare cases almost equal to prod costs.

Anyways still, tripling your production budget might not necessarily translate to profitability as backend deals or BO revenue participation of actors and/or producers might affect a films profitability. Also, domestic/international box office ratios might determine profitability as well as China gross.

But the general rule of thumb, 3x upwards a movie's production budget is profitability point.

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:12pm On Oct 29, 2022
pu7pl3:
Black Adam aka 1.7bn

Mr 1.7bn, hope you dey prepare for your big fat L. grin grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pu7pl3(m): 11:55pm On Oct 29, 2022
abduleez1:

Mr 1.7bn, hope you dey prepare for your big fat L. grin grin

You done see the movie?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by AnfieldFan: 12:50am On Oct 30, 2022
abduleez1:

Even if we adjust the break even point to 2.7x, the profitability point of BA is still around $600-620mn I postulated earlier.
Of course I know since the movie cost a lot more than average movies it's profit point will be higher.
Still, the link you provided still states ALL movies hitting the 3.1x multiplier probably made profits.
Going by that Black Adam needs 620mn.

I found a bit of issue with the data posted for A Star is Born. Generally, movies don't spend market budgets above the production costs itself. Not to talk of tripling / 33% above production budget. I find that data questionble.

What I know movies have about 50%+ of its production spend for marketing & distribution or in some rare cases almost equal to prod costs.

Anyways still, tripling your production budget might not necessarily translate to profitability as backend deals or BO revenue participation of actors and/or producers might affect a films profitability. Also, domestic/international box office ratios might determine profitability as well as China gross.

But the general rule of thumb, 3x upwards a movie's production budget is profitability point.

I agree with this...I just wanted to correct the initial 500m break even point for Black Adam...
A Star is Born is an outlier....Many studios do not do that...And I think it was competing with Venom, can't remember....

Let me share something a lot of people do not know...
Studios have annual marketing budgets.. They assign to different movies marketing budgets depending on the earning potentials of said movies...
Blockbusters receive the highest so as to recoup their investment as early as possible..
Oscar baits..Low budget movies etc...
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 7:06am On Oct 30, 2022
pu7pl3:

You done see the movie?

Nope....not yet.
Planning my schedule. I should see it a little over a week's time.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pu7pl3(m): 7:11am On Oct 30, 2022
abduleez1:

Nope....not yet.
Planning my schedule. I should see it a little over a week's time.

Go and watch 1.7bn bruh...spoilers done dey full everywhere.

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 7:17am On Oct 30, 2022
AnfieldFan:

I agree with this...I just wanted to correct the initial 500m break even point for Black Adam...
A Star is Born is an outlier....Many studios do not do that...And I think it was competing with Venom, can't remember....

Studios have annual marketing budgets.. They assign to different movies marketing budgets depending on the earning potentials of said movies...
Blockbusters receive the highest so as to recoup their investment as early as possible..

True this.
Everything's been budgeted for in a fiscal year.
That's why some movies marketing you see it everywhere while some you hardly hear of it till the movie drops.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pu7pl3(m): 7:18am On Oct 30, 2022
AnfieldFan:

Bro have you seen the movie?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by 10thDentist: 8:26am On Oct 30, 2022

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 9:06am On Oct 30, 2022
Fvvk no.... Pls. angry angry

(1) (2) (3) ... (3276) (3277) (3278) (3279) (3280) (3281) (3282) ... (3834) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.