Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,252 members, 7,829,467 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:34 AM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (3623) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3772834 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3620) (3621) (3622) (3623) (3624) (3625) (3626) ... (3841) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 10:35pm On Jul 22, 2023
Born2Freak:

The Transformers movie was just mindless fun. Same as Fast X- one watches it for the action set pieces and the big budget graphics. The plot is inconsequential.

Why would you say that I only watch movies to flex on other people?

Or are you the only one that understands the art of movies?

You that went to watch Barbie, you are now judging me on Tramsformers?

Lol....I cannot laugh

So you have never cussed out people for not going to the cinema to see movies on this thread before? really?.

Anyways G. Anything that floats your boat, i just hope one day you get tired of all these antics and leave it be.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 10:39pm On Jul 22, 2023
Kaycee7:
Hollywood looking at this sub like
grin grin You know this...Bob Iger and the likes must crumble grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:42pm On Jul 22, 2023
oyaskii:
My own problem is that, why they don't just sit with these people properly and end the strike. If the strike continues, it's only going to cause more problems as more projects will be pushed further causing major disruptions. The only movies going ahead now are those past post production, and 2024 slates will be heavily distorted.

Well Netflix has a problem with the demands.
Production cost is definitely going to increase and Hollywood studios are gearing to significantly drop their content spend while maximizing profits.

And there's a rumor that studios have a very small hope of hoping to break the WGA and actors. If they starve enough they'd stop striking and come to the negotiation table". grin grin

Another issue is using AI to capture actors likeness and use it without seeking permission in future projects, hence a clever way to dodge residue payments to them.

2024 is looking very malnourished based on what I've seen in the confirmed dates and we've spent half this year already.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:53pm On Jul 22, 2023
oyaskii:
grin grin You know this...Bob Iger and the likes must crumble grin

They said hold my beer!!! grin grin

PS: David Zaslav received $39mn last year after WBD merger. In 2021 he received a juicy pay of $125mn for a good job well done at Discovery. 😎😎

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Born2Freak(f): 12:08am On Jul 23, 2023
oyaskii:
So you have never cussed out people for not going to the cinema to see movies on this thread before? really?.

Anyways G. Anything that floats your boat, i just hope one day you get tired of all these antics and leave it be.

Lmao. I encourage people to watch movies at the cinema to understand the zeitgeist around movies.

Nonetheless, it was silly of you to assume that it is the only reason I watch movies.

This is separate from me enjoying movies at the cinema. Two things can be true at the same time. I can enjoy movies at the cinema as an appreciation if the art and also encourage people to watch films at the cinema.

Don't let emotions and gossip cloud your judgement. Just because broke people on this thread say that I'm a silly troll doesn't make it true.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Born2Freak(f): 12:18am On Jul 23, 2023
abduleez1:

Well Netflix has a problem with the demands.
Production cost is definitely going to increase and Hollywood studios are gearing to significantly drop their content spend while maximizing profits.

And there's a rumor that studios have a very small hope of hoping to break the WGA and actors. If they starve enough they'd stop striking and come to the negotiation table". grin grin

Another issue is using AI to capture actors likeness and use it without seeking permission in future projects, hence a clever way to dodge residue payments to them.

2024 is looking very malnourished based on what I've seen in the confirmed dates and we've spent half this year already.

The king of box office analysis!

Bro, can you tell me how you are so confident in talking boldly about stuff you have no idea about?

As in, you copy and paste, then present it as your own analysis.

Take a look at the bild in your comment- you read the commonly spread fake news that AI will be used to capture actors' likeness for films in order to avoid paying others.

Now, if you actually stopped to analyse what you read on Hollywood gossip (instead of copying and pasting), you would realise that it is nonsense. This is because you cannot use someone's likeness for free. You would be sued and you will lose in court.

This is streaky established in videogames- studios pay to use actors' or athletes' likeness.

Kindly stop littering this thread with your fake box office analysis.

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SOZINN: 1:13am On Jul 23, 2023
Kaycee7:
China has also disallowed movies that were not woke from being shown at all in the country so can't also attribute that to wokeness. Cultural differences will always clash in filmmaking. Studios will always pander to the home market first. Chinese films pander to the Chinese first. Can't expect American films to not be created with an American audience in mind first.

One of the first major things creators are taught is to create for a singular audience or a single person cos if you try to create a story for everyone, you usually end up creating a story for no one.

The Chinese will never like all Hollywood movies and there's really nothing Hollywood can do about that. They can't really be expected to change themselves for China

How audacious of you to ignore budget analysis in your post about expressing cultural preferences. Well, if you're going to make movies with only domestic audiences in mind, you better make money while you're at it because without money, you won't be able to express your cultural preferences. You obviously missed the part where I mentioned making a movie with an approximate $350 million total budget or more, but allow me to clarify things for you now.

Everything falls within a range. When working with a moderate budget, it may be safe to produce films with specific social or political messages but not with a huge one. This is because you stand to lose if the domestic financial contribution and weak international revenue are insufficient to turn a profit. Your investors will pull the plug if you consistently ask for large budgets to express your cultural preferences and those films consistently turn a loss.

No matter how imaginative or culturally appealing your ideas may be, they will be thrown in the trash because no one has any money to throw into a wormhole. Consider the Sound of Freedom for example. There is a lot of controversy surrounding this movie. It had a strong domestic theatrical run, and only made about $1 internationally but the movie is still regarded as a success due to its very modest budget. You should probably research about how Hollywood movie censorship in Asian nations has impacted the diversity of Hollywood films and the freedom of expression in the film industry by making various creators to adopt self censorship.

It's a major issue, and I am not surprised by it given the fact that everyone wants to succeed financially. It all comes down to editing your work to improve your chances of engagement from a larger audience and thereby increase your potential financial gain. The majority of comic book movies and other movies in general are known to undergo multiple edits to lessen the gore in their movies so that viewers between the ages of 13 and 17 can also watch them. The likelihood of making more money is increased by this. The number of major Hollywood films that were either banned or received little to no box office receipts in nations like China and other Asian nations because they were "woke" or contained LGBTQ scenes is reportedly quite high, but I really can't tell you the exact percentage.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SOZINN: 1:21am On Jul 23, 2023
abduleez1:

I don't really think The Little Mermaid would have appealed to China woke or not.
Barbie is premium flopping over there also, but the Pink Doll Princess doesn't need the Middle Kingdom's money. 🌚

Right, you get my point. China and Vietnam can go kick rocks, although more income wouldn't be a bad idea. Also, we can't know for sure what might have happened with The Little Mermaid, but I believe it might have done better there if they hadn't changed the plot and toned down their political messages.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by IngeniousLeez: 4:05am On Jul 23, 2023
Born2Freak:

The king of box office analysis!

Bro, can you tell me how you are so confident in talking boldly about stuff you have no idea about?

As in, you copy and paste, then present it as your own analysis.

Take a look at the bild in your comment- you read the commonly spread fake news that AI will be used to capture actors' likeness for films in order to avoid paying others.

Now, if you actually stopped to analyse what you read on Hollywood gossip (instead of copying and pasting), you would realise that it is nonsense. This is because you cannot use someone's likeness for free. You would be sued and you will lose in court.

This is streaky established in videogames- studios pay to use actors' or athletes' likeness.

Kindly stop littering this thread with your fake box office analysis.

It's not my fault you're too dumb to see where I said it's the rumor mill. Shouldn't be hard to understand it's not an opinion but details of the said rumour.

At times it pays to actually know the shΓ―t you're talking about before jumping to spit bullshit.
Are you now the executive director of SAG-AFTRA (screen actors guild) to say he doesn't know what he's talking about with AI Likeness??

You're a CLOWN. 🀑

I know you're dying of actually getting relevance here and wanting to get a reaction from me. Rest. I don't have the luxury wasting energy on you or giving you the attention you've been dying of.
Stay mad cos you'll see more box office analysis if I want.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by IngeniousLeez: 4:22am On Jul 23, 2023
Clever marketing from Illumination using the Minions verse to promote this film.
I was skeptical about this before, but after watching the trailer, Universal looks to have another W.

Ahh the fvvk, no be Awkwafina voice be that. πŸ€¦πŸ˜‚

#Migration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQfo0HJhCnE
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by IngeniousLeez: 4:23am On Jul 23, 2023

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Kaycee7(m): 5:28am On Jul 23, 2023
SOZINN:

How audacious of you to ignore budget analysis in your post about expressing cultural preferences. Well, if you're going to make movies with only domestic audiences in mind, you better make money while you're at it because without money, you won't be able to express your cultural preferences. You obviously missed the part where I mentioned making a movie with an approximate $350 million total budget or more, but allow me to clarify things for you now.

Everything falls within a range. When working with a moderate budget, it may be safe to produce films with specific social or political messages but not with a huge one. This is because you stand to lose if the domestic financial contribution and weak international revenue are insufficient to turn a profit. Your investors will pull the plug if you consistently ask for large budgets to express your cultural preferences and those films consistently turn a loss.

No matter how imaginative or culturally appealing your ideas may be, they will be thrown in the trash because no one has any money to throw into a wormhole. Consider the Sound of Freedom for example. There is a lot of controversy surrounding this movie. It had a strong domestic theatrical run, and only made about $1 internationally but the movie is still regarded as a success due to its very modest budget. You should probably research about how Hollywood movie censorship in Asian nations has impacted the diversity of Hollywood films and the freedom of expression in the film industry by making various creators to adopt self censorship.

It's a major issue, and I am not surprised by it given the fact that everyone wants to succeed financially. It all comes down to editing your work to improve your chances of engagement from a larger audience and thereby increase your potential financial gain. The majority of comic book movies and other movies in general are known to undergo multiple edits to lessen the gore in their movies so that viewers between the ages of 13 and 17 can also watch them. The likelihood of making more money is increased by this. The number of major Hollywood films that were either banned or received little to no box office receipts in nations like China and other Asian nations because they were "woke" or contained LGBTQ scenes is reportedly quite high, but I really can't tell you the exact percentage.
I'm not ignoring budget analysis. If falls back to the whole "pushing an agenda" accusation. Most movies all have an agenda to push. Top Gun: Maverick with a $300m budget wasn't even allowed to play in China. While The Little Mermaid was allowed to play even if it ended up not doing well there.
Was Maverick more woke than TLM?
How come Black Panther with all its wokeness did very well in China?

Nobody's asking for large budgets to express their cultural differences. What does this even mean?

Again, yes, there are Hollywood movies that were banned in China because they were "woke". But then there are also "woke" Hollywood movies that aired and even did successfully in China. Meanwhile there's non-woke Hollywood movies that were also banned or flopped in China and the international market.

The "wokeness" allegations are never sticking, bruv. They'll just remain a YouTube/blog market until people eventually get tired of it.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Born2Freak(f): 6:00am On Jul 23, 2023
IngeniousLeez:

It's not my fault you're too dumb to see where I said it's the rumor mill. Shouldn't be hard to understand it's not an opinion but details of the said rumour.

At times it pays to actually know the shΓ―t you're talking about before jumping to spit bullshit.
Are you now the executive director of SAG-AFTRA (screen actors guild) to say he doesn't know what he's talking about with AI Likeness??

You're a CLOWN. 🀑

I know you're dying of actually getting relevance here and wanting to get a reaction from me. Rest. I don't have the luxury wasting energy on you or giving you the attention you've been dying of.
Stay mad cos you'll see more box office analysis if I want.

Who is the real clown between two of us?

1. You are the one looking for relevance by continuously posting box office analysis that you don't understand.

2. I see that you cannot fault the facts I put forward about using actors' likenesses.

3. Nice appeal to authority. And you are wrong- it was the executive negotiator and not the executive director of SAG-AFTRA quoted in that article. The executive negotiator complaining about AI Likenesses does not negate the fact that actors can sue for more when their likenesses are used.

4. Always remember that it was you on this thread that was begging to meet me in real life. You need the relevance.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Calibrator: 7:54am On Jul 23, 2023
Una don dey beg una selves for meet ups offline.

Fellow gender for that matter... The alphabets are not alphabetting.

What is wrong with my keyboard ALPHABET keys? cheesy
Born2Freak:

1. You are the one looking for relevance by continuously posting box office analysis that you don't understand.

2. I see that you cannot fault the facts I put forward about using actors' likenesses.

3. Nice appeal to authority. And you are wrong- it was the executive negotiator and not the executive director of SAG-AFTRA quoted in that article. The executive negotiator complaining about AI Likenesses does not negate the fact that actors can sue for more when their likenesses are used.

4. Always remember that it was you on this thread that was begging to meet me in real life. You need the relevance.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Broskyjames: 8:05am On Jul 23, 2023
Calibrator:
Una don dey beg una selves for meet ups offline.

Fellow gender for that matter... The alphabets are not alphabetting.

What is wrong with my keyboard ALPHABET keys
? cheesy
Does this even make any sense? Your constant bid to be a propagator of violence here, is becoming very stale and making you look and sound like an unrefined clown with no bearing.

Give it a rest and find something else to latch on to as a thing.

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by DieRich5: 8:08am On Jul 23, 2023
Flash 0/10

Fast X 0/10

John wick 5/10

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by IngeniousLeez: 8:31am On Jul 23, 2023
Born2Freak:

Stop saying crap.... He is the executive director of the body as well as Chief Negotiator. Or you're now the owner of SAG-AFTRA website??

Also, the director corroborated what I said on likeness so you haven't proven me wrong but made a fool of yourself.

So me jokingly saying I'd like to see this guy in real life cos of the way you were clowning yourself all-over the thread that period means I'm fawning over you?? grin grin
Don't be stupid. Lol, so this dude literally took that statement meaning I honestly really wanted to see him. Unless maybe you can't tell sarcasm.
I knew you were a CLOWN but seems being a dunce is right up your alley.

What do I stand to gain meeting up with you, cos you be celebrity? I see & work with celebs on a regular due to work and rarely give a damn but na you wey be faceless nobody on a faceless forum I go dey fawn over? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ The delusion of grandeur with this dude.
AGBA Influencer!!! πŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™Œ
You see how you hopelessly crave for validity.

I'm hoping you also have your receipts where I was begging to meet with you offline. I want to believe you are a man of your word and don't make shΓ―t up?? πŸ™

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by armadeo(m): 8:37am On Jul 23, 2023
DieRich5:
Flash 0/10

Fast X 0/10

John wick 5/10

Now this is what I call violence. Jeez
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by NeoWanZaeed(m): 8:45am On Jul 23, 2023
Barbie in the dust
Oppenheimer to join
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pu7pl3(m): 9:02am On Jul 23, 2023
DieRich5:
Flash 0/10

Fast X 0/10

John wick 5/10

This man wey abandon this thread
Welcome back
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Born2Freak(f): 9:42am On Jul 23, 2023
IngeniousLeez:

Stop saying crap.... He is the executive director of the body as well as Chief Negotiator. Or you're now the owner of SAG-AFTRA website??

Also, the director corroborated what I said on likeness so you haven't proven me wrong but made a fool of yourself.

So me jokingly saying I'd like to see this guy in real life cos of the way you were clowning yourself all-over the thread that period means I'm fawning over you?? grin grin
Don't be stupid. Lol, so this dude literally took that statement meaning I honestly really wanted to see him. Unless maybe you can't tell sarcasm.
I knew you were a CLOWN but seems being a dunce is right up your alley.

What do I stand to gain meeting up with you, cos you be celebrity? I see & work with celebs on a regular due to work and rarely give a damn but na you wey be faceless nobody on a faceless forum I go dey fawn over? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ The delusion of grandeur with this dude.
AGBA Influencer!!! πŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ™Œ
You see how you hopelessly crave for validity.

I'm hoping you also have your receipts where I was begging to meet with you offline. I want to believe you are a man of your word and don't make shΓ―t up?? πŸ™

Bro. I see that you are pained.

Agba celebrity worker.

Happy sunday
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Born2Freak(f): 9:45am On Jul 23, 2023

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Born2Freak(f): 9:46am On Jul 23, 2023
Broskyjames:
Does this even make any sense? Your constant bid to be a propagator of violence here, is becoming very stale and making you look and sound like an unrefined clown with no bearing.

grin >: grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by IngeniousLeez: 10:38am On Jul 23, 2023
Born2Freak:
Abduleez1 was a fan boy of mine before

https://www.nairaland.com/1549406/what-movie-watching-now/2309#93838071

Lmao, is this the begging to meet you?? grin grin grin
You can't even smell the sarcasm with my trademark laughing emoji.

This guy is a stupid CLOWN. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Remind me to never take you seriously again. So that's me being a fanboy. Your megalomania is really unique. grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by IngeniousLeez: 10:46am On Jul 23, 2023
Born2Freak:

Bro. I see that you are pained.

Agba celebrity worker.

Happy sunday

I just felt the need to address your stupidity that's all since I've been indulging you by ignoring it.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by IngeniousLeez: 11:02am On Jul 23, 2023
Broskyjames:

Which kind calibRATIOn be dis?? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SOZINN: 11:05am On Jul 23, 2023
Kaycee7:
I'm not ignoring budget analysis. If falls back to the whole "pushing an agenda" accusation. Most movies all have an agenda to push. Top Gun: Maverick with a $300m budget wasn't even allowed to play in China. While The Little Mermaid was allowed to play even if it ended up not doing well there.
Was Maverick more woke than TLM?
How come Black Panther with all its wokeness did very well in China?

Nobody's asking for large budgets to express their cultural differences. What does this even mean?

Again, yes, there are Hollywood movies that were banned in China because they were "woke". But then there are also "woke" Hollywood movies that aired and even did successfully in China. Meanwhile there's non-woke Hollywood movies that were also banned or flopped in China and the international market.

The "wokeness" allegations are never sticking, bruv. They'll just remain a YouTube/blog market until people eventually get tired of it.

First off, the production budget for Top Gun: Maverick was between $170 and $177 million, and information about its marketing budget is scattered all over the place. Some put the figure at $100 million, others at $125 million, and still others say more without providing any figures. I'd say this leaves its actual budget between $270 million and $302 million. This budget range does not correspond to or exceed the monster budget that I have previously mentioned in any of my posts. Due to the Taiwan flag patch on Tom Cruise's jacket in the film, Top Gun was outlawed in China.

This was edited out of the film's trailers during it's marketing campaign but they failed to remove it in the final cut of the film. Putting Top Gun side by side with The Little Mermaid won't help you in this case because Top Gun received overwhelmingly positive domestic reception whereas The Little Mermaid had a lackluster domestic theatrical run. In addition, only 1% of Chinese theaters played The Little Mermaid during its opening weekend. If not for the fact that the first Black Panther movie wasn't exactly woke to begin with, your example with that movie would have been valid.

Due to the film's predominately African setting, the majority of its cast members were black. The portrayal of a powerful black, male African leader in the movie did not pose a threat to the Chinese leadership. Additionally, its message of black male empowerment adhered to the regulations set forth by the Chinese government. A strong black female lead, more female cast members, and even a brief LGBTQ propaganda scene were all present in the sequel, which was the textbook definition of woke. It was consequently banned in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, and China.

Just be aware that you haven't provided any instances of woke films or LGBTQ-themed films that have triumphed despite all odds and gained popularity in places like China or other middle eastern countries that adhere to heavy censorships. Anyways, it appears that we have reached a consensus where we can both choose to disagree. I won't lie; this conversation has given me some new insights.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SOZINN: 11:09am On Jul 23, 2023
IngeniousLeez:

Remind me to never take you seriously again. So that's me being a fanboy. Your megalomania is really unique. grin grin

When you think that guy can't possibly get any worse, he breaks new records to prove otherwise. He's idiocy is so prevalent now that it's unbelievable. What is going on inside his head is beyond my ability to understand.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Born2Freak(f): 11:12am On Jul 23, 2023
IngeniousLeez:

Keep explaining and shalaye-ing like a man caught cheating on his wife.

Happy Sunday!!
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Born2Freak(f): 11:16am On Jul 23, 2023
SOZINN:

When you think that guy can't possibly get any worse, he breaks new records to prove otherwise. He's idiocy is so prevalent now that it's unbelievable. What is going on inside his head is beyond my ability to understand.

Wow. See Γ sslicking on another level. The link is there for anyone to see. Even the following comments after that one showed that he actually wanted to see me.

So many clowns on Nairaland
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Calibrator: 11:43am On Jul 23, 2023
Oga, I am not responsible for subsidy removal neither am I the one who brought up the issue of meeting each other offline..... I only echoed whatever is posted on here.

So please face whatever is troubling you in life squarely and don't transfer unnecessary aggression to my mention.

Thank you!
Everything will be fine... I am rooting for you cheesy
Broskyjames:

3 Likes

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by MetroLane: 11:50am On Jul 23, 2023
IngeniousLeez:

May God not allow me to dig up a 2020 post in other to prove my relevance in 2023 grin

People like him can just wake up one morning and say to himself "I love myself so much, let me lick my armpit and see what I taste like".

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (3620) (3621) (3622) (3623) (3624) (3625) (3626) ... (3841) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: Regards2U and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.