Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,708 members, 7,851,403 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 06:40 PM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (3626) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3813922 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3623) (3624) (3625) (3626) (3627) (3628) (3629) ... (3857) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 7:29am On Jul 24, 2023
Illusioneffect:

Let's see about that. I actually have two youtube accounts - One is very liberal and one is conservative - so i get to see the two sides of the stories; even 30% of the left are saying it was too much not to talk of conservatives that were deceived. It has a queer character - so it wont be showing in the Middle East - Indians are already leaving the theatres in droves - Dont even say anything about the Chinese - no one there cares about Barbie

Actually, that's false. I kinda spoke too soon when I said Barbie was flopping in China because it's previews over there was poor but the movie somehow picked up on Friday through to Sunday. Enough to make China amongst its highest grossing market. And the audience gave it good ratings.
Really surprising for me.

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by NeoWanZaeed(m): 7:35am On Jul 24, 2023
abduleez1:

Actually, that's false. I kinda spoke too soon when I said Barbie was flopping in China because it's previews over there was poor but the movie somehow picked up on Friday through to Sunday. Enough to make China amongst its highest grossing market. And the audience gave it good ratings.
Really surprising for me.

Is this stat not doctored like this?

We need from another source
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 7:38am On Jul 24, 2023
Illusioneffect:

All the Series you mentioned are not 'woke' enough. Look at Snow White - even though it has the best writing and screenplayed by Greta, it is too woke not to ignore.

How do you know the quality of the writing?
Either way Greta is not the director. The director and the producers are the ones that makes those decisions.

Greta is being rushed like hit cake now tho. πŸ˜‰
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 7:56am On Jul 24, 2023
NeoWanZaeed:

Lol, you can go online and fact check from other sources na.
Luiz doesn't post fake stat. It's all data gotten from box office tracking companies or websites like Box office mojo, the numbers etc.

It's basically the same thing some of us do here... They just compile the data and give you breakdown of the most important territories or what region your focus is and sometimes add some viewpoints.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by NeoWanZaeed(m): 8:59am On Jul 24, 2023
abduleez1:

Lol, you can go online and fact check from other sources na.
Luiz doesn't post fake stat. It's all data gotten from box office tracking companies or websites like Box office mojo, the numbers etc.

It's basically the same thing some of us do here... They just compile the data and give you breakdown of the most important territories or what region your focus is and sometimes add some viewpoints.

I want Barbie to flop ni o angry
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SOZINN: 9:50am On Jul 24, 2023
Illusioneffect:

Let's see about that. I actually have two youtube accounts - One is very liberal and one is conservative - so i get to see the two sides of the stories; even 30% of the left are saying it was too much not to talk of conservatives that were deceived. It has a queer character - so it wont be showing in the Middle East - Indians are already leaving the theatres in droves - Don't even say anything about the Chinese - no one there cares about Barbie

You're mistaken. There are some people who care, but not many. The controversial nine dash line map was initially present in the film, which is why it was permitted to be screened in china. China uses the map to assert its sovereignty over a sizable portion of the south China sea, but other nations like Vietnam contest this claim. I haven't seen the movie yet so I can't say for sure, but if it's as dangerously woke as you claim and contains LGBTQ themes, then this symbolic gesture to demonstrate China's sovereignty allowed the film to avoid Chinese censorship.

Although, according to the movie's producers at Warner Bros, this was not their original intention and the map was just a crude crayon drawing. In my opinion, this merely shows one of the various ways in which one may elude Chinese censorship. The film has earned $182 million internationally as of this writing. Just 4.4% of the global gross is contributed by China. On average, 13–28% of the international box office gross for a successful Warner Bros. film is generated in China. In fact, it was recently reported that a sizable $17 million of each $100 million in international revenue their movies generate came from China.

You will discover that the movie is performing significantly worse than average if you compare those figures to what we currently have. Although they managed to get past the censorship, it appears that a considerable contingent of Chinese citizens are not particularly interested in what they have to offer, but let's hope for the best. In China, one out of every four theaters typically screens a Warner Bros. film, but this year, only about 10 percent are showing Barbie, representing a decline of about 15%. However it's noteworthy to remember that Barbie won't need to do well in China or Vietnam in order to meet its box office targets. It appears to be doing incredibly well with others, not having a monster budget sure helped.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SOZINN: 9:56am On Jul 24, 2023
NeoWanZaeed:

I think the figures he provides are consistently accurate. His assessments are what I find to be questionable sometimes.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SOZINN: 9:57am On Jul 24, 2023
NeoWanZaeed:

I want Barbie to flop ni o angry

Just take your L already.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SOZINN: 10:02am On Jul 24, 2023
abduleez1:

Really surprising for me

Cap.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Achilles100: 10:22am On Jul 24, 2023
Please, any other site for direct download like pahe?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:52am On Jul 24, 2023
SOZINN:

Cap.
grin grin grin
grin grin grin
grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by SOZINN: 11:28am On Jul 24, 2023
abduleez1:

grin grin grin
grin grin grin
grin grin grin

Okay, you're right. The statistics I was using to assess the audience feedback were 9 days out of date. Its first 20,000 reviews were inconsistent, which resulted in an average score on Douban that was only marginally lower than its score during its pre-sale period on IMDB. Luiz Fernando moves quickly though, I'll look him up on Twitter.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pu7pl3(m): 11:54am On Jul 24, 2023
Kaycee7:
Until them cast Michael B. Jordan as Achilles and Gemma Chan as Helen of Troy grin grin

No mind am grin
And then maybe switch roles; na Helen of Troy kidnap Paris for love and not the other way round cos she is strong and independent

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Kaycee7(m): 1:02pm On Jul 24, 2023
pu7pl3:

No mind am grin
And then maybe switch roles; na Helen of Troy kidnap Paris for love and not the other way round cos she is strong and independent
Or Helen go fight her husband by herself because she doesn't need a man to save her

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 1:41pm On Jul 24, 2023
SOZINN:

Okay, you're right. The statistics I was using to assess the audience feedback were 9 days out of date. Its first 20,000 reviews were inconsistent, which resulted in an average score on Douban that was only marginally lower than its score during its pre-sale period on IMDB. Luiz Fernando moves quickly though, I'll look him up on Twitter.

Damn, so you don't have Luiz on your feed already?? Man you're missing.

The dude does an incredible job. His dedication to the craft is admirable. He's a complete fvvking geek when it comes to film and TV stats.

Since when I found him some years back, it's been very easy for me to easily get industry data on the tips of my fingers. He updates really fast and daily at that. I don't need to go far scrubbing the internet for some stats when I have him.

The best thing about him? he's largely unbiased. Man's all about the data. Only a very few times I might feel he's bias, even at that it's very subtle and easy to miss unless you've known his style for a while.
He also doesn't push political agendas. It's hard to come by people who have his characteristics.

He's my main source for those stats, although I use a few others to corroborate what he says or cover where he ignores.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 1:44pm On Jul 24, 2023
Achilles100:
Please, any other site for direct download like pahe?

You can check out

Lightdl doth xyz

They have direct links to different quality from the about page of the content you wanna download.
Much shorter navigation period than pahe sef.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 2:09pm On Jul 24, 2023
WB breaks into the top 5 finally.
I see them later settling in #3 position and a slim chance of beating out Universal for #2, that's if WB release all the movies already slated for this year (Dune 2, Aquaman 2 and Wonka).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by potland: 2:56pm On Jul 24, 2023
ERASER

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by pu7pl3(m): 3:04pm On Jul 24, 2023
Kaycee7:
Or Helen go fight her husband by herself because she doesn't need a man to save her

Gbam
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Purvan(m): 4:18pm On Jul 24, 2023
Pleasure 2021 1/10
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 4:57pm On Jul 24, 2023
SOZINN:

Although, according to the movie's producers at Warner Bros, this was not their original intention and the map was just a crude crayon drawing. In my opinion, this merely shows one of the various ways in which one may elude Chinese censorship. The film has earned $182 million internationally as of this writing. Just 4.4% of the global gross is contributed by China. On average, 13–28% of the international box office gross for a successful Warner Bros. film is generated in China. In fact, it was recently reported that a sizable $17 million of each $100 million in international revenue their movies generate came from China.

You will discover that the movie is performing significantly worse than average if you compare those figures to what we currently have. Although they managed to get past the censorship, it appears that a considerable contingent of Chinese citizens are not particularly interested in what they have to offer, but let's hope for the best. In China, one out of every four theaters typically screens a Warner Bros. film, but this year, only about 10 percent are showing Barbie, representing a decline of about 15%. However it's noteworthy to remember that Barbie won't need to do well in China or Vietnam in order to meet its box office targets. It appears to be doing incredibly well with others, not having a monster budget sure helped.

Not all movies perform the same. There are some exceptions.
Batman movies don't sell in China no matter how big it is everywhere. See The Dark Knight Rises and 2022's The Batman. Even Joker never screened there. These movies were wildly successful everywhere else.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 5:14pm On Jul 24, 2023
Kandahar..... 7/10

Great action movie... Intense from start to finish.
A few plotholes here and there like the Iranians allowing white people near their top secret nuclear site. Which is pretty dumb and unrealistic in the real world. A little plot convenience to progress the story, I get it.
It had good Cinematography with great use of its environment, good score, decent acting and nice cat and mouse race for time.

The final action sequence with that GBU bombs/Hellfire missiles wiping out those Afghani fighters trucks was glorious. Holy damn!! A beauty from above. grin

Loved the dynamics with the extra depth and context they gave the region with various actors like the Iranians, Daesh, Al Qaeda, Taliban, Afghani warlords and Pakistan's secret service ISI. Everyone with different ideology and goals.

Too many of these state actors in one place makes you wonder if there would ever be peace in that region. 🀐😒

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Kaycee7(m): 5:31pm On Jul 24, 2023
Asteroid City 7.5/10

Can now relate to the sentiment of "If you've seen one Wes Anderson movie, you've seen them all". This felt like another chapter in The French Dispatch but with a different theme and setting. I'm not mad about it. It's well on brand for creators to use a familiar storytelling style. Add to that the fact that Mr Anderson knows how to utilize this style fully to serve his intentions.

Asteroid City's major theme revolves around transition. It's a story within a story that features a coming-of-age subplot, a short romance subplot and dealing with grief, to name some.

This didn't really connect with me like The French Dispatch did. It's still a pretty good movie but not one I'd recommend to someone who's skeptical about watching it.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 5:32pm On Jul 24, 2023
Evil Dead Rise..... 7/10

Nice horror movie... Good acting from the cast. Premium tier gore and blood. This is probably the bloodiest in the franchise. Better graphics, CGI and make-up effects.

They still continue the trend in the franchise to always have an utterly stupid and naive person to always open the cursed book and kickstart the evil manifestations. Of course it's an overbeaten trope in horror genre to have these people to progress the movie, it could have been done better or different from the expected usual.

Overall, a decent horror flick. Wonder why these latest horror movies don't scare me one bit anymore. undecided

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 5:35pm On Jul 24, 2023
Kaycee7:
Asteroid City 7.5/10

Can now relate to the sentiment of "If you've seen one Wes Anderson movie, you've seen them all". This felt like another chapter in The French Dispatch but with a different theme and setting. I'm not mad about it. It's well on brand for creators to use a familiar storytelling style. Add to that the fact that Mr Anderson knows how to utilize this style fully to serve his intentions.

Asteroid City's major theme revolves around transition. It's a story within a story that features a coming-of-age subplot, a short romance subplot and dealing with grief, to name some.

This didn't really connect with me like The French Dispatch did. It's still a pretty good movie but not one I'd recommend to someone who's skeptical about watching it.

Mr Anderson don continue him streak... grin grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by WriterNig: 5:47pm On Jul 24, 2023
πŸŽ₯ Den Of Thieves (2018) = 8/10 βœ”οΈ ❀️

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by WriterNig: 5:48pm On Jul 24, 2023
πŸŽ₯ Maggie Moore(s) (2023) = 6.2/10 βœ”οΈ

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 7:30pm On Jul 24, 2023
Knock At The Cabin..... 5.5/10

M Night Shyamalan with another convoluted cooking. Nice idea but the delivery doesn't land well. The writing is shaky at best.
Can't be recommended of you're not familiar with Shyamalan's style.

Dave Bautista making great effort to master his craft and improve his range is refreshing.
Can't wait to see him in Dune 2.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 7:42pm On Jul 24, 2023
Re: Pirates of the Carribbean : On Stranger Tides (2011).

Jack Sparrow: The Fountain does test you Gibbs. But better to not know which moment maybe your Last. Every morsel of your entire being alive to the infinite mystery of it all. And who's to say I won't live forever, hey? Discoverer of The Fountain of Youth. I have no say in it, Gibbs. It's a pirate's life for me. Savvy!

My favourite movie encoding guys recently did a re rip of this franchise from a proper source and i just had to indulge again cuz it's quite frankly one of my faves and comfort set of movies.

This looked nothing like Gore Verbinski's first 2 run, as you can evidently tell from the onset,there is a change of personel at the helm but it still retains the charm, comic and charisma that the franchise is known for and this is squarely down to Johnny Depp as the infamous Captain Jack Sparrow, one of the truly great casting in modern cinema!

A standalone sequel, the plot itself is modest, A quest to the get the fabled "Fountain of Youth" first discovered by the Spanish conquistador Ponce de LeΓ³n, familiar foes and friends and some new introductions races against time and tide to get to it.

Don't let the critical reviews fool you, it is a decent watch, far far better than the 2017 run. It surprisingly made bank, amassing about 1bn American greens at the B.O. albeit in a era when Cinema movie going was still a proper thing.

Bar the 2017 fiasco, it's a decent franchise overall and this was my personal 3rd best in the line up. Hearing thoughts of a reboot irks me, imo any reboot without Johnny Depp is DOA, and even if he's signed for another run, i don't think they can hit these heights again. It is just perfect as it is now.
I can't recommend enough.

7/10.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by phr0nesis(m): 7:47pm On Jul 24, 2023
For those interested, little mermaid has landed at the port

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 7:59pm On Jul 24, 2023
Kaycee7:
Asteroid City 7.5/10

My exact sentiment the other day cheesy. Man wears monotony like a badge of honor. Already copped it tho, so i might as well just see it.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by ErenXSatoru(f): 10:25pm On Jul 24, 2023
SOZINN:

Cap.
Serious cap

(1) (2) (3) ... (3623) (3624) (3625) (3626) (3627) (3628) (3629) ... (3857) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: Kaycee7(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.