Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,405 members, 7,836,630 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (3772) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3785707 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3769) (3770) (3771) (3772) (3773) (3774) (3775) ... (3845) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Holav(m): 2:17am On Jan 07
Just finished watching rebel moon part.
My rating 5/10

D storyline 4 d movie is wack, everything happens so fast no characters development 4 d movie dat will have part 2..

Wats spoil d movie 4 me is 2 much of slow motion in d movie😕, every fight scene comes with slow motion.

No characters in the movies is interesting to watch, except d admiral, mehn d admiral kill his role..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Dybala11(m): 2:54am On Jan 07
Carot:
OPPENHEIMIER -1/10
Trash. Dont waste your data. They are all liars on this thread
What is this? 🙄🙄
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Kaycee7(m): 6:40am On Jan 07
abduleez1:

I see.
Wondering if it's record setting gross is mostly due to inflation and the weakened currency.
Cos beating The Wedding Party 2 and the likes is no mean feat and by a huge mile and we still dey cinema season with more legs to go.
That's actually a viable thought. Increased ticket costs can't be ruled out as a factor.
Which has me thinking, if we adjust for inflation, has it really beat The Wedding Party 2?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 7:54am On Jan 07
Kaycee7:
That's actually a viable thought. Increased ticket costs can't be ruled out as a factor.
Which has me thinking, if we adjust for inflation, has it really beat The Wedding Party 2?

Did a little searching and there's now 3 movies ahead of The Wedding Party movies.
Inflation has really eaten deep into our pockets.

But something's sure, people really love and turn up for Funke Akindele. She's the Shah Rukh Khan of Nigeria and a box office draw. Her movies are the top 3 grossers ahead of the Wedding Party films.

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Chibudollar: 9:57am On Jan 07
abduleez1:

Did a little searching and there's now 3 movies ahead of The Wedding Party movies.
Inflation has really eaten deep into our pockets.

But something's sure, people really love and turn up for Funke Akindele. She's the Shah Rukh Khan of Nigeria and a box office draw. Her movies are the top 3 grossers ahead of the Wedding Party films.
And who are the people actually calculating and dropping these figures, because anything Nigeria you have to really be sure if they are not lying. I just feel they are inflating these amounts

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:42am On Jan 07
Chibudollar:
And who are the people actually calculating and dropping these figures, because anything Nigeria you have to really be sure if they are not lying. I just feel they are inflating these amounts

Not really. They aren't inflating figures.
I've been slightly following the Nigerian box office collection calculations and they have an association that collates weekly data of all monies made by individual films in various member cinemas. The data checked out back then when I looked. Our industry is even underperforming if we want to talk about size comparison of our economy and young population in my opinion.

You should also note that more Cinemas have been opening up in recent years and Nigeria is somewhat slowly regaining it's cinema culture, which has been deepened by the rapidly growing shopping malls expansions. If you look closely all the cinemas are brainchild of Malls. More Cinemas means more box office collection due to servicing more people.
Trust me, if each state had at least 4 cinemas or equal to what Lagosians enjoys, those box office collection is quadrupling. In fact, na only half the 36 states we need.

Inflation in our economy also plays a large role. The ticket price is 2x more than the last time I visited a theatre. So these stats are very plausible.
Besides it's also Funke Akindele, all her recent movies have ALL been breaking Nigerian box office records for the last 3 years. She's a draw.

Why I feel it's authentic and reliable I've been noticing higher performance of Nigerian films based on their data. Hollywood has been the sole dominant force for many years but the last time I checked it was around 40% for Nollywood and 60% Hollywood market share. And foreign films dominance is rapidly eroding.
Testament to this was what I witnessed this December/January holidays. I had friends and associates suggesting and going to cinemas and everyone ONLY talked about Nollywood films.
There was one I would have joined my pals with in December but declined cos they planned on seeing a Nollywood flick.
I don't think any Hollywood flick could stand up to Nollywood films in terms of attendance this holiday season. Saw crowds for Nigerian content.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:58am On Jan 07
@ Chibudollar

The cinema association even have a website that verifies and collates data and has a top global partner as big as Comscore to analyse the figures.
So, looks pretty transparent to me.

https://ceanigeria.com/box-office

You can also see a comprehensive analysis of the market performance of 2022 by this cinema/entertainment tracking website. I've been following them for a while and their reports are very insightful.

https://shockng.com/7-insights-from-2022-ngn-box-office-yearbook-compiled-by-filmone/

So these data are well vetted and reliable.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Chibudollar: 11:19am On Jan 07
abduleez1:
@ Chibudollar

The cinema association even have a website that verifies and collates data and has a top global partner as big as Comscore to analyse the figures.
So, looks pretty transparent to me.

https://ceanigeria.com/box-office

You can also see a comprehensive analysis of the market performance of 2022 by this cinema/entertainment tracking website. I've been following them for a while and their reports are very insightful.

https://shockng.com/7-insights-from-2022-ngn-box-office-yearbook-compiled-by-filmone/

So these data are well vetted and reliable.
Thanks for the link and correction, I really am happy that Nollywood is slowly regaining their force. Who would've thought that people would be trooping out to go see a Nollywood movie in mass. So happy for them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by 100naira(m): 2:26pm On Jan 07
when evil lurks

5/10
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 4:48pm On Jan 07
Chibudollar:
Thanks for the link and correction, I really am happy that Nollywood is slowly regaining their force. Who would've thought that people would be trooping out to go see a Nollywood movie in mass. So happy for them.

I'm happy too that some movies are gaining mad patronage.

I think in 2021 or early 2022 I used to see Nigeria box office collection for Hollywood movies in the boxofficeMojo website when they restructured the site. You could see stats for almost all major countries then.
That was when I stopped doubting the numbers I used to see from the Nigerian cinema association.

But for a while now throughout 2023 BoxofficeMojo stopped publishing it as well as other smaller countries with low revenue.
Now it's only the major markets.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Naijaspiderman(m): 8:06pm On Jan 07
Hello everyone, who has a site I can download " A tribe called Judah". I can't seem to find it anywhere else.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Dybala11(m): 8:09pm On Jan 07
Chibudollar:
Watched Oppenheimer few weeks ago and I just saw one tweet about it , about how 78000 people died when the US dropped a bomb on them, imagine the innocent people that had nothing to do with these decisions dying because of their leaders. And another funny thing is that these leaders never die. Russia vs Ukraine 1 billion billion dead, but Putin and zinoleeksy or what's his name are never dying.
When did 1 billion people die in the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war?
Even the whole population of the two countries combined is not more than 200 million, so how did the number of death reach 1 billion?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Dybala11(m): 8:23pm On Jan 07
Holav:
Just finished watching rebel moon part.
My rating 5/10

D storyline 4 d movie is wack, everything happens so fast no characters development 4 d movie dat will have part 2..

Wats spoil d movie 4 me is 2 much of slow motion in d movie😕, every fight scene comes with slow motion.

No characters in the movies is interesting to watch, except d admiral, mehn d admiral kill his role..
Yeah, ZS could and should have done better in the character development and dialogue part. But on the use of slow-mo, you ought to expect that from an action movie directed by ZS na. ZS and slow-mo action scenes are like 5 & 6. 🤷🤷🤷
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Dybala11(m): 8:29pm On Jan 07
Naijaspiderman:
Hello everyone, who has a site I can download " A tribe called Judah". I can't seem to find it anywhere else.
Check on telegram.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 8:48pm On Jan 07
Dybala11:

Yeah, ZS could and should have done better in the character development and dialogue part. But on the use of slow-mo, you ought to expect that from an action movie directed by ZS na. ZS and slow-mo action scenes are like 5 & 6. 🤷🤷🤷

I swear ..... How you go watch Big Zack film without expecting slow mo?? 😂😂😭
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 8:50pm On Jan 07
Women supporting women... 😉

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Chibudollar: 9:09pm On Jan 07
Dybala11:

When did 1 billion people die in the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war?
Even the whole population of the two countries combined is not more than 200 million, so how did the number of death reach 1 billion?
I clearly wrote BILLION BILLION, i was just trying to pass a point .
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Dybala11(m): 9:19pm On Jan 07
abduleez1:

I swear ..... How you go watch Big Zack film without expecting slow mo?? 😂😂😭
It's like a trademark of movies directed by him, I don't even have too much issues with the slow-mo sef.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Dybala11(m): 9:19pm On Jan 07
Chibudollar:
I clearly wrote BILLION BILLION, i was just trying to pass a point .
Oh, I understand better now boss.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Dybala11(m): 9:21pm On Jan 07
abduleez1:
I'm suspecting you laidis. 🙄🙄🙄
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by joseph1832(m): 9:42pm On Jan 07
abduleez1:
not the nonsense toxicity and jealousy we've seen on Twiiter in the past 2 days. Chai.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 9:59pm On Jan 07
joseph1832:
not the nonsense toxicity and jealousy we've seen on Twiiter in the past 2 days. Chai.

I no wan over talk but most of these our Naija ladies no be am... Gutter behaviour everywhere. See stupid hate and toxicity.

I just love how the patriarchy responded.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:00pm On Jan 07
Dybala11:

I'm suspecting you laidis. 🙄🙄🙄

Lol, because of what... Wetin you dey insinuate? grin grin grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:06pm On Jan 07
Time to go see THE HOLDOVERS. I don too slack for movies this new year period. I got some time this past week but used it for checking audience reactions and box office receipts instead of watching the actual movies. 🙃🥲😩

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Dybala11(m): 10:25pm On Jan 07
abduleez1:

Lol, because of what... Wetin you dey insinuate? grin grin grin
I dey insinuate your thought o. I'm watching your thoughts here in 4k. 😂😂😂
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:33pm On Jan 07
Dybala11:

It's like a trademark of movies directed by him, I don't even have too much issues with the slow-mo sef.

I didn't mind the slow mo in this one as well.
I felt he used it more judiciously here instead of spamming it everywhere.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:34pm On Jan 07
Dybala11:

I dey insinuate your thought o. I'm watching your thoughts here in 4k. 😂😂😂

I no even know my thoughts sef. I just post as the spirit leads with a touch of wordplay. 😂😂🤣
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:35pm On Jan 07
🤔🤔

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by joseph1832(m): 10:48pm On Jan 07
abduleez1:

I no wan over talk but most of these our Naija ladies no be am... Gutter behaviour everywhere. See stupid hate and toxicity.

I just love how the patriarchy responded.
it's a man's world, period.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by drizzle0007(m): 11:34pm On Jan 07
abduleez1:
Time to go see THE HOLDOVERS. I don too slack for movies this new year period. I got some time this past week but used it for checking audience reactions and box office receipts instead of watching the actual movies. 🙃🥲😩

Lower your expectations. It's more like a movie for teenagers. Slow burner.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by drizzle0007(m): 11:35pm On Jan 07
Training day- 8.5/10
The Imitation game - 7/10
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 3:47am On Jan 08
It was always HIS for the taking...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (3769) (3770) (3771) (3772) (3773) (3774) (3775) ... (3845) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: Kaycee7(m), Asmorh, bolagabriella and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.