Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,434 members, 7,819,567 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (3769) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3754229 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3766) (3767) (3768) (3769) (3770) (3771) (3772) ... (3835) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by LooneyLester: 9:06am On Jan 01
thatthickgurl:
Saltburn 2023

Trigger warning : don’t watch while eating or after a meal.
I didn’t think much could surprise me after watching the peach scene in call me be your name, 2017 but this was a discovery. It tested the limits of my imagination.

I can’t even rate because I am unsure what to rate it.

You fell for the meme
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by phr0nesis(m): 9:57am On Jan 01
Kaycee7:
Spill the beans. We'll forget it in 2024
It's going to be a long read:

When we were almost done with WAEC; others were actually done and had all travelled home while waiting for NECO to commence. Two groups of SS3 students (The ones offering Health Science and we offering Technical Drawing) still lingered around.

Our principal had recently installed a TV and a DVD player in our multipurpose hall, so on a particular evening, we were having a plenary session about movies and the senate made a unanimous decision to visit the multipurpose hall after night prep. We contributed some money and snuck out of school to buy a movie - The Last Stand it was. Back in school premises, with our movie in hand, we were in stealth mode waiting for our oversabi physics teacher to leave his lab; oga kept us waiting till almost 12 midnight.

It was a cinema dub, but we honestly had no idea what CAMrip was at that time. We could see what was happening, hear the dialogue and witnessed a healthy dose of action, to say we were blown away is an understatement, so after leaving the hall, we all knew the process would be repeated again the next day.

Magneto will forever remain a legend

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Ishilove: 10:27am On Jan 01
armadeo:
Dave chappelle's the dreamer..

Netflix Special
I hear it is even more controversial than the last one
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Kaycee7(m): 11:22am On Jan 01
phr0nesis:

It's going to be a long read:

When we were almost done with WAEC; others were actually done and had all travelled home while waiting for NECO to commence. Two groups of SS3 students (The ones offering Health Science and we offering Technical Drawing) still lingered around.

Our principal had recently installed a TV and a DVD player in our multipurpose hall, so on a particular evening, we were having a plenary session about movies and the senate made a unanimous decision to visit the multipurpose after night prep. We contributed some money and snuck out of school to buy a movie - The Last Stand it was. Back in school premises, with our movie in hand, we were in stealth mode waiting for our oversabi physics teacher to leave his lab; oga kept us waiting till almost 12 midnight.

It was a cinema dub, but we honestly had no idea what CAMrip was at that time. We could see what was happening, hear the dialogue and witnessed a healthy dose of action, to say we were blown away is an understatement, so after leaving the hall, we all knew the process would be repeated again the next day.

Magneto will forever remain a legend
That's a banger way to close out secondary school

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Chibudollar: 1:30pm On Jan 01
I think I might be the biggest Dave Chappelle fan out of Nigeria, I have literally watched every special he has ever performed. Just finished watching his latest special THE DREAMER. Dave Chappelle is the ultimate GOAT
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by armadeo(m): 3:09pm On Jan 01
Ishilove:

I don't think so. It was okay. He was dave being dave and dint dwell so much on controversy though he touched them to prove he ain't scared.

It was good. The closer was more controversial.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by TopeQs: 3:36pm On Jan 01
Chibudollar:
I think I might be the biggest Dave Chappelle fan out of Nigeria, I have literally watched every special he has ever performed. Just finished watching his latest special THE DREAMER. Dave Chappelle is the ultimate GOAT

Are you a fan of his opinions or his comedy?

I had to ask because I've seen all his specials and never watched them afterwards because I've never found him to be funny.

Yes, he's really smart and well put together with his speeches. He rarely makes jokes and say too much stories that don't really matter.

He's more like an activist with a sense of humor.

It's Katt Williams that I really believe is what Dave Chappelle is supposed to be with the kind of following Dave Chappelle has.

Closer especially was a dull fest for me
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Barrywhyte1(m): 3:39pm On Jan 01
Barbie 2023
8.5/10

So I decided to start this year with probably the biggest cinematic phenomenon of 2023...

And I've gotta say, what was all the fuss about?

Trust me, I'm not one for feminist bullshit and patriarchy crap, but if you ever needed a movie to do it right and send it's message, then Barbie did it 100%.

I mean, it was a satire on our society..
Sure they amped up some of the details, but that's exactly what it was created for.

I came into this movie with my guard up, thinking I was going to see a movie about hating men, but nahh, it completely took me in the other direction.

Don't get me wrong I still cringed whenever I heard the word "patriarchy" every 20mins or so...
But it still fit into the story.

Funny enough, Ken's story is a story that I feel should resonate with many guys, I mean not feeling good enough at first, getting a false respect you think will get you the girl and then discovering that you have to live your life for you.

I mean, how the hell did people come up with it being anti-man from this.

I find it hypocritical that we often try to dictate how strong women should be written but when it comes to Men, then they have to be a certain way.

I don't know about you, but I love diversity of characters..
I love me a guy like Reacher who embodies the essence of masculinity
But I also appreciate a Ken like character who many guys can resonate with, who aspires to be more.

The Martell guys weren't even bad sef, they were just trying to put things the way they believed was right.

FINAL NOTES
The acting was very good, tho I didn't see anything from Ryan gosling and Ariella ferrera's performances that people were raving about.
I think they did their job quite well, but not awards contender level.

Maybe a rewatch will change my mind tho.

The musical numbers were all excellent

And in a period where many movies which delve into issues as Barbie did fail to stick the landing..

Barbie did an excellent job in the end of answering it's biggest questions.

• It's ok to not have it all together, but you should still strive to be better.
• And it's ok to fulfill a role like just being a mum.

I also love the fact that Barbieland wasn't just resolved into an Utopia of equality but instead a steady progression into equality which I believe our World has been moving towards.

The fact that I watched it in our family house with my mum and sister present in the final scene where Barbie touches Ruth and sees the various experiences of girls coupled with that sirene like voice of Billie eilish adding more dimensions to the emotional weight
was the icing on the cake.

I guess my only problem were with some aspects of the writing that I felt were too on the nose..

Other than that a pretty great movie in my opinion.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by phr0nesis(m): 4:06pm On Jan 01
Kaycee7:
That's a banger way to close out secondary school
Honestly, it was
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Chibudollar: 4:39pm On Jan 01
TopeQs:

I had to ask because I've seen all his specials and never watched them afterwards because I've never found him to be funny.

Yes, he's really smart and well put together with his speeches. He rarely makes jokes and say too much stories that don't really matter.

It's Katt Williams that I really believe is what Dave Chappelle is supposed to be with the kind of following Dave Chappelle has.

lol, this life man. Well I guess that's why we all have different opinions. Because to me Dave Chappelle is the funniest nxgga alive and to you he isn't funny. I am actually a fan of everything he says u agree with him. His stories are always interesting. How don't you like him ffs grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 4:52pm On Jan 01
Film Twitter and many here said this would most likely "flop"..... 🤣😂

I predicted $380mn+ and it has already beaten my expectations. 😀 I already said, I saw promise only looking at that trailer. Especially the 2nd.

Anyhoo, WB made a good bet this holiday period and they dominated December. It's funny how all WB films not DC last year all performed.

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 5:04pm On Jan 01
I postulated this same rationale some weeks back in December.

DUNE 2 being pushed to 2024 was a better move for WB overall and Aquaman 2 maintaining its Xmas release ensured it loses less money and WB to bank on WONKA and THE COLOR PURPLE to deliver the wins.

The plan is going smoothly so far THE COLOR PURPLE comes to the party. Imagine Aquaman 2 breaking even. Who would've thought so. 😀😀

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by TopeQs: 5:06pm On Jan 01
Chibudollar:
lol, this life man. Well I guess that's why we all have different opinions. Because to me Dave Chappelle is the funniest nxgga alive and to you he isn't funny. I am actually a fan of everything he says u agree with him. His stories are always interesting. How don't you like him ffs grin

Life is weird truly....
By the way, not that I don't like him, I honestly like listening to him because he's always keeping it real with his topics and discussion. In a world of woke-ness, he has refused to give in and say the truth as it is no matter the backlash, I always like him for that.
I just don't find him funny at all.

I've never watched any of his specials and laughed, just some chuckles here and there. And I've watched EVERYTHING he's has put out in the last 10 years thereabout.

Note: I'll still watch this new special, just mentioned you because you said you're his number 1 fan, was surprised there's someone who actually find him funny in Nigeria.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Chibudollar: 5:13pm On Jan 01
TopeQs:

Life is weird truly....
By the way, not that I don't like him, I honestly like listening to him because he's always keeping it real with his topics and discussion. In a world of woke-ness, he has refused to give in and say the truth as it is no matter the backlash, I always like him for that.

I've never watched any of his specials and laughed, just some chuckles here and there. And I've watched EVERYTHING he's has put out in the last 10 years thereabout.

Note: I'll still watch this new special, just mentioned you because you said you're his number 1 fan, was surprised there's someone who actually find him funny in Nigeria.
Have you watched his Killin them softly Special? Check it out if you haven't seen it yet
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Barrywhyte1(m): 9:46pm On Jan 01
TopeQs:

Life is weird truly....

I do find him funny and a good number of my friends also.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 2:03am On Jan 02
Saltburn......9.5/10

It's a pretty dark movie. Some comedy was thrown in. An erotic thriller of some sort with some fine bit of sexual depravity sprinkled in. Chronicles the lengths an opportunistic gold-digger would go to set his future up in riches. Pretty wild how the ending went. Not so surprised as I guessed it but shït was still brutal, gritty, dark and shocking still. Quite a fvvking effect.

Might be offensive if not overly for peeps with a lower tolerance for the LGTV community for of course it's filled with homoerotiç themes or undertones.
But I won't deny it's a darn good movie towing the fine line between edgy and offensive. So it surely has controversial themes. And of course the most pressing annoyance being a film that might come off as "painting the rich and opulent in bad light".

Barry Keoghan, what can I say? I always doubted the guy and thought he was overrated especially with last year's Oscars nomination. But my God, was I wrong? Barry shocked me on this and I didn't knew he had it in him. This is definitely deserved of a Best Actor nomination. Damn, bro. Gotta give it to this guy. He killed his role. Barry put on a mighty show. I ain't slandering this guy henceforth.

And Fennel got her entire cast right. They all put in a mighty darn good performance. Especially Jacob Elordi who I ain't surprised by his talent or craft. He's good and I've wanted his rise in the industry and it seems 2023 was a mighty fruitful year for him. Rosamund Pike is sure to deliver memorable performance as always. The few times Richard Grant and Carey Mulligan was onscreen they delivered. Archie Madekwe was also a scene stealer. Because of this, I'll just try and see his film "Gran Turismo". Holds so much promise.

Very good cinematography and top tier music score which drives each scene with to give you the perfect emotion. Well written, well paced. Seemed as if it ain't sure or going nowhere at the middle but the third act was a huge pay off.

This movie also goes on as a strong competitor for Best Original Screenplay if it manages not to nick Best Picture noms. Screenplay is also a strong point for Fennel.

Always knew I was gonna enjoy this movie just from five trailer alone and the assurance from a film written and directed by Emerald Fennel. It's definitely the best movie I've seen this year and a great way to open my film watching this year.

Many have said it's very similar to "The Talented Mr Ripley" and I'm definitely downloading this movie tonight just to compare and contrast how big of an inspiration and how good or novel Emerald Fennel did with her work.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 2:09am On Jan 02
MOVIE CALENDAR: Happy New Year, friends! Here's a current snapshot of major and notable theatrical film releases for 2024, 2025 and 2026. Cheers to a good year and good times at the movies.

#Copied

Looking at this, I copped 39 potential major movies sure to make a splash at the box office this year. That's a lot of major films if you ask me, especially at the start of the year. 🤔

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by CBTxFactor: 8:06am On Jan 02
Barrywhyte1:
Barbie 2023
8.5/10

So I decided to start this year with probably the biggest cinematic phenomenon of 2023...

And I've gotta say, what was all the fuss about?

Trust me, I'm not one for feminist bullshit and patriarchy crap, but if you ever needed a movie to do it right and send it's message, then Barbie did it 100%.

I mean, it was a satire on our society..
Sure they amped up some of the details, but that's exactly what it was created for.

I came into this movie with my guard up, thinking I was going to see a movie about hating men, but nahh, it completely took me in the other direction.

Don't get me wrong I still cringed whenever I heard the word "patriarchy" every 20mins or so...
But it still fit into the story.

Funny enough, Ken's story is a story that I feel should resonate with many guys, I mean not feeling good enough at first, getting a false respect you think will get you the girl and then discovering that you have to live your life for you.

I mean, how the hell did people come up with it being anti-man from this.

I find it hypocritical that we often try to dictate how strong women should be written but when it comes to Men, then they have to be a certain way.

I don't know about you, but I love diversity of characters..
I love me a guy like Reacher who embodies the essence of masculinity
But I also appreciate a Ken like character who many guys can resonate with, who aspires to be more.

The Martell guys weren't even bad sef, they were just trying to put things the way they believed was right.

FINAL NOTES
The acting was very good, tho I didn't see anything from Ryan gosling and Ariella ferrera's performances that people were raving about.
I think they did their job quite well, but not awards contender level.

Maybe a rewatch will change my mind tho.

The musical numbers were all excellent

And in a period where many movies which delve into issues as Barbie did fail to stick the landing..

Barbie did an excellent job in the end of answering it's biggest questions.

• It's ok to not have it all together, but you should still strive to be better.
• And it's ok to fulfill a role like just being a mum.

I also love the fact that Barbieland wasn't just resolved into an Utopia of equality but instead a steady progression into equality which I believe our World has been moving towards.

The fact that I watched it in our family house with my mum and sister present in the final scene where Barbie touches Ruth and sees the various experiences of girls coupled with that sirene like voice of Billie eilish adding more dimensions to the emotional weight
was the icing on the cake.

I guess my only problem were with some aspects of the writing that I felt were too on the nose..

Other than that a pretty great movie in my opinion.

Nice review. Now I just might have to watch it too.
America Ferrera cheesy cool
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by denzel231: 8:12am On Jan 02
Ishilove:

no it's not. Just normal
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by denzel231: 8:13am On Jan 02
TopeQs:

Kat Williams the coke head lmao.. kat williams has no balls , just sweaty on stage and all that. from this ur tall, kelvin hart is bettrt than dave Chappelle lol.. isbeberh

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Ishilove: 8:26am On Jan 02
abduleez1:
Saltburn......9.5/10

It's a pretty dark movie. Some comedy was thrown in. An erotic thriller of some sort with some fine bit of sexual depravity sprinkled in. Chronicles the lengths an opportunistic gold-digger would go to set his future up in riches. Pretty wild how the ending went. Not so surprised as I guessed it but shït was still brutal, gritty, dark and shocking still. Quite a fvvking effect.

Might be offensive if not overly for peeps with a lower tolerance for the LGTV community for of course it's filled with homoerotiç themes or undertones.
But I won't deny it's a darn good movie towing the fine line between edgy and offensive. So it surely has controversial themes. And of course the most pressing annoyance being a film that might come off as "painting the rich and opulent in bad light".

Barry Keoghan, what can I say? I always doubted the guy and thought he was overrated especially with last year's Oscars nomination. But my God, was I wrong? Barry shocked me on this and I didn't knew he had it in him. This is definitely deserved of a Best Actor nomination. Damn, bro. Gotta give it to this guy. He killed his role. Barry put on a mighty show. I ain't slandering this guy henceforth.

And Fennel got her entire cast right. They all put in a mighty darn good performance. Especially Jacob Elordi who I ain't surprised by his talent or craft. He's good and I've wanted his rise in the industry and it seems 2023 was a mighty fruitful year for him. Rosamund Pike is sure to deliver memorable performance as always. The few times Richard Grant and Carey Mulligan was onscreen they delivered. Archie Madekwe was also a scene stealer. Because of this, I'll just try and see his film "Gran Turismo". Holds so much promise.

Very good cinematography and top tier music score which drives each scene with to give you the perfect emotion. Well written, well paced. Seemed as if it ain't sure or going nowhere at the middle but the third act was a huge pay off.

This movie also goes on as a strong competitor for Best Original Screenplay if it manages not to nick Best Picture noms. Screenplay is also a strong point for Fennel.

Always knew I was gonna enjoy this movie just from five trailer alone and the assurance from a film written and directed by Emerald Fennel. It's definitely the best movie I've seen this year and a great way to open my film watching this year.

Many have said it's very similar to "The Talented Mr Ripley" and I'm definitely downloading this movie tonight just to compare and contrast how big of an inspiration and how good or novel Emerald Fennel did with her work.
The movie was so dark, and that ending was ... Totally unexpected. Barry deserves at least an Oscar nomination for this role because he put everything out there. Literally. Dude was 'swinging' 😁😁😁😁
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:28am On Jan 02
Ishilove:

The movie was so dark, and that ending was ... Totally unexpected. Barry deserves at least an Oscar nomination for this role because he put everything out there. Literally. Dude was 'swinging' 😁😁😁😁

Barry Keoghan not getting an Oscar nom for his performance would be a travesty. No actor so far for a 2023 movie have put up a more showy performance. Still yet to see the others like The Holdovers or Maestro which is also said to have similar performance.
What I loved about the movie was that most things I expected it still gave me a dark twisted version of my expectations.

I no see anything sha o, but e be like say you liked what dude was 'swinging'. 👀👀
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Ishilove: 12:02pm On Jan 02
abduleez1:

Barry Keoghan not getting an Oscar nom for his performance would be a travesty. No actor so far for a 2023 movie have put up a more showy performance. Still yet to see the others like The Holdovers or Maestro which is also said to have similar performance.
What I loved about the movie was that most things I expected it still gave me a dark twisted version of my expectations.

I no see anything sha o, but e be like say you liked what dude was 'swinging'. 👀👀
Although I was indifferent to it, my eyes followed it grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by GloriousGbola: 12:12pm On Jan 02
Ishilove:

Although I was indifferent to it, my eyes followed it grin

Gonna have to check out what is swinging

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Ishilove: 12:25pm On Jan 02
GloriousGbola:

Go ahead, but Barry swings at the very end of the movie grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Spicyneedle: 2:07pm On Jan 02
Hunting Games

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Illusioneffect(m): 4:32pm On Jan 02
GloriousGbola:

Glorious gbola was swinging literally😅😅
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Loud99: 5:14pm On Jan 02
Download and enjoy Aquaman 2 the lost kingdom movie
Mad blockbuster
https://filmbud.online/aquaman-and-the-lost-kingdom/
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Chibudollar: 6:34pm On Jan 02
Watched Oppenheimer few weeks ago and I just saw one tweet about it , about how 78000 people died when the US dropped a bomb on them, imagine the innocent people that had nothing to do with these decisions dying because of their leaders. And another funny thing is that these leaders never die. Russia vs Ukraine 1 billion billion dead, but Putin and zinoleeksy or what's his name are never dying.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 9:05pm On Jan 02
Chibudollar:
Watched Oppenheimer few weeks ago and I just saw one tweet about it , about how 78000 people died when the US dropped a bomb on them, imagine the innocent people that had nothing to do with these decisions dying because of their leaders. And another funny thing is that these leaders never die. Russia vs Ukraine 1 billion billion dead, but Putin and zinoleeksy or what's his name are never dying.

1 billion ke? Abi how many be their population? Unless na typo.

Even both the wounded and total casualties of the war between both countries never too pass 500k sef talkless of 1 million.
Civilians dead so far is estimated at around 10,000.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Chibudollar: 9:28pm On Jan 02
abduleez1:

1 billion ke? Abi how many be their population? Unless na typo.

Even both the wounded and total casualties of the war between both countries never too pass 500k sef talkless of 1 million.
Civilians dead so far is estimated at around 10,000.
Haba nau, the 1 billion na just exaggeration. How many people dey world grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (3766) (3767) (3768) (3769) (3770) (3771) (3772) ... (3835) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: Strugglingman, samistry(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.