Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,807 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

What Do You Know About Mental Illness? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Do You Know About Mental Illness? (966 Views)

My Phobia For People With Mental Illness: Reply To Adebola Rayo / Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience / Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Know About Mental Illness? by morpheus24: 2:30pm On Jul 28, 2008
I am very curious to know how much knowledge my fellow nigerians know about mental illness both in Nigeria and outside of it. I have coemt o understand that there are lot of ignorant people out there who are misinformed about this subject matter and many attribute it to Demon possession and so on.

Do you know anyone who is suffering from such ailment and do you believe it is a brain disorder or some sort of which craft or possession?
Re: What Do You Know About Mental Illness? by Feministic(f): 1:48am On Aug 01, 2008
My sister was diagnosed with Autism around the age of 4 and i was diagnosed with ADD around the age of 12.
I have always noticed that people, especially Nigerians, do not and are not willing to put aside their little knowledge on this subject in order to really understand and accept it, but what used to be anger in me has now turned to pity cry
Re: What Do You Know About Mental Illness? by HCH3COO: 1:53am On Aug 01, 2008
Feministic:

My sister was diagnosed with Autism around the age of 4 and i was diagnosed with ADD around the age of 12.
I have always noticed that people, especially Nigerians, do not and are not willing to put aside their little knowledge on this subject in order to really understand and accept it, but what used to be anger in me has now turned to pity cry
Ahh how cute! How did you deal with it?
Re: What Do You Know About Mental Illness? by Gonorrhea(m): 3:18pm On Aug 01, 2008
Mental Illness?! quietly walks out of this thread!!
Re: What Do You Know About Mental Illness? by ifyalways(f): 3:34pm On Aug 01, 2008
Mental illness to me is nothing but a health/brain disorder.it might come either tru our thoughts,our fears,deficiencies,living conditions or simply in the blood/gene.
Re: What Do You Know About Mental Illness? by Feministic(f): 3:46pm On Aug 01, 2008
Ahh how cute! How did you deal with it?

Lol, cute? Uhm, ok,

Well, I have to admit; my first thought when everyone shied away from or laughed at my sister was "Assholes!, I can't believe [/i]this shit!, "
But then I actually talked to them, some of their answers were so, [i]pathetic
Bringing up possible native doctors and pastors we could see to "cure" her, accusing jealous enemies, wondering if she would rip off all her clothes in the heat of "madness", and I just, couldn't be angry anymore, it was so sad. Not only could they not accept her as a person, but they couldn't accept that she would always be autistic, it wasn't a matter of arguing or fingerpointing, unless something happens in the medical world soon (which I doubt, since they are still debating the cause of autism) then this is how she will live and die and all we have to do as her family is love her and make sure she lives her life to the fullest. But even that seems to be hard for them, but I know they love her somewhat, and the closer we let them get to her and try to get to know her, the more they try to understand. That is something I hope Africans never let go: family unity. I hate to see it ever compromised.
Re: What Do You Know About Mental Illness? by iice(f): 5:28pm On Aug 01, 2008
The whole demon thing is just undecided

ifyalways:

Mental illness to me is nothing but a health/brain disorder.it might come either tru our thoughts,our fears,deficiencies,living conditions or simply in the blood/gene.

pretty much on par with my thinking.
Re: What Do You Know About Mental Illness? by HCH3COO: 3:39am On Aug 02, 2008
Feministic:

Lol, cute? Uhm, ok,

Well, I have to admit; my first thought when everyone shied away from or laughed at my sister was "Assholes!, I can't believe [/i]this shit!, "
But then I actually talked to them, some of their answers were so, [i]pathetic
Bringing up possible native doctors and pastors we could see to "cure" her, accusing jealous enemies, wondering if she would rip off all her clothes in the heat of "madness", and I just, couldn't be angry anymore, it was so sad. Not only could they not accept her as a person, but they couldn't accept that she would always be autistic, it wasn't a matter of arguing or fingerpointing, unless something happens in the medical world soon (which I doubt, since they are still debating the cause of autism) then this is how she will live and die and all we have to do as her family is love her and make sure she lives her life to the fullest. But even that seems to be hard for them, but I know they love her somewhat, and the closer we let them get to her and try to get to know her, the more they try to understand. That is something I hope Africans never let go: family unity. I hate to see it ever compromised.

Eyaaa!!!! AWWWWWW  cry  cry  kiss  kiss
When comes the day that family unity is your number one priority, you will be willing to do all it takes to secure the bond of your family.  If there is love in your marriage, submission by the wife is easily achieved.  It does not equate to domination, so please keep that in mind.  A man who loves you will cherish your every being.

Your sister's situation is really touching.  i haven't been around too many autistic people, maybe I have, but I'm sure it must be hard dealing with some of the obsessive behaviors caused by her autism.  I wish your family the very best and goodluck in everything.  I would say be prayerful in all you do but I know you don't take too kindly to religion.  But all the best!
Re: What Do You Know About Mental Illness? by Feministic(f): 3:59pm On Aug 04, 2008
@ HC : thanks smiley
Re: What Do You Know About Mental Illness? by morpheus24: 6:33pm On Aug 04, 2008
Feministic:

I have a relative who while growing up I was conviced back then was possesed as so I was told. I was afraid of him and kept away, thinking he truly was possessed. It wasn't until after my studies and close experience with patients that suffer from this ailment did I realize what it really was and I felt very guilty for not understanding what was going. Because of the wild superstitious beliefs in African culture the stigma for people who suffer from mental illnesses is exacerbated. I too used to get very upset at the ignorance of the vast majority of nigerians on this subject matter and have made it a point to correct such stupidity where ever I encounter it. Why

Cause Ignorance truly is the worst disease that exists!
Re: What Do You Know About Mental Illness? by LASIEFAIRE(m): 6:44pm On Aug 04, 2008
@ feministic. . .
There is an ongoing research on the use of Oxytocin as a possible treatment for autism. Although the research is still in it's preliminary stage, it's is showing promising results. Hopefully, the result of the research will be favorable to people with autism.

(1) (Reply)

Guys A Brother Is In Deep Pain! / Genotyp Of A S And A S Getting Married, Wat Are Their Chances. / I Have Measles Guys. Pls Help Me!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.