Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,386 members, 7,815,823 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

Massive Protest By Ogoni People In Port Harcourt - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Massive Protest By Ogoni People In Port Harcourt (2769 Views)

Ogoni People Hold Massive Protest In Rivers State Over Killings.Photos / Ongoing Protest By Dismissed Immigration Personnels Recruited Under GEJ / Breaking News! Rivers State Government House Is Being Attacked By Ogoni Youths! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Massive Protest By Ogoni People In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 1:39pm On Dec 10, 2013
Demdem:

Govt house is far away from there. Their aim was to disrupt economic activities within this region which will affect FG income. Primarily, they blocked the way going to Onne. Refinery and petrochemical is also within this area.
Am not aware of any audience from govt, what I saw though were Soldiers shooting. Obviously their C-in-C sent them undecided
this kind of protests gives Jonathan high blood pressure. Probably he didn't see this coming. grin
Thanks for the info. cool
Re: Massive Protest By Ogoni People In Port Harcourt by talk4free: 2:21pm On Dec 10, 2013
Demdem:

This ongoing protest has nothing to do with local Rivers politics. its strictly about the refusal of Jonathan to commence the implementation of the UNEP report.

The protest has nothing to do with local politics just as you said. I was there for two hours as my car was caught right in the middle. There was nothing said about APC or PDP, it was purely a human rights rally. There was no political figure on ground at any point. Neither from PDP or APC.

However, looking at the political angle of happenings in the country. I think the PDP made a mistake when they allowed Ameachi and kwankwanso to decamp to the APC. Reason being you don't allow the opposition to control your biggest cities. With APC holding power in Lagos, Kano and Port Harcourt now, any rally that is not in support of the federal Govt will not be resisted by the state machinery. What happens when you have protests in states like lagos, Kano and Rivers? They get media coverage, and that puts the Fed Govt under pressure.

In as much as i don't like either of them (PDP or APC) as i think they are not formed for the good of the common man on the street, i still think its a masterstroke by the APC to get Kano and Rivers under its fold. Wait till we have another fuel subsidy kind of protest and you'll see what i'm talking about.
Re: Massive Protest By Ogoni People In Port Harcourt by Akanbiedu(m): 3:04pm On Dec 10, 2013
talk4free:

The protest has nothing to do with local politics just as you said. I was there for two hours as my car was caught right in the middle. There was nothing said about APC or PDP, it was purely a human rights rally. There was no political figure on ground at any point. Neither from PDP or APC.

However, looking at the political angle of happenings in the country. I think the PDP made a mistake when they allowed Ameachi and kwankwanso to decamp to the APC. Reason being you don't allow the opposition to control your biggest cities. With APC holding power in Lagos, Kano and Port Harcourt now, any rally that is not in support of the federal Govt will not be resisted by the state machinery. What happens when you have protests in states like lagos, Kano and Rivers? They get media coverage, and that puts the Fed Govt under pressure.

In as much as i don't like either of them (PDP or APC) as i think they are not formed for the good of the common man on the street, i still think its a masterstroke by the APC to get Kano and Rivers under its fold. Wait till we have another fuel subsidy kind of protest and you'll see what i'm talking about.

Great post.

On the bolded, I would like to say that its a process, we have to continue working on it till we get close to ideal. Since you don't like the two, you can form your own at any point in time, nothing do you.
Re: Massive Protest By Ogoni People In Port Harcourt by nairaarea: 3:10pm On Dec 10, 2013
I still dont know why GEJ is insensitive to the plight of the Ogoni people. He should please start the clean up of their land. The pollution has rendered there farms and rivers useless thus causing untold hardship to the people. If 300000 ogoni people protested in the military era then the FG should expect a mega protest that will be covered by international media. Ogoni are supported by the UNITED NATIONS.
Re: Massive Protest By Ogoni People In Port Harcourt by DerideGull(m): 3:24pm On Dec 10, 2013
hardywaltz:
Ogoni + Ikwerre alone can vote in any Gov. That's why Ameachi holds them dear. Nyesom Wike can keep fooling himself with Minority tribes on election day we will see if Riverine + 50% of Obio Akpor + Etche votes are enuff to make him Governor.
We dey watch.

I must say your assumption is a wild goose chase. Ogoni and Ikwerre can not elect governor in Rivers State.
Re: Massive Protest By Ogoni People In Port Harcourt by DerideGull(m): 3:29pm On Dec 10, 2013
nairaarea: I still dont know why GEJ is insensitive to the plight of the Ogoni people. He should please start the clean up of their land. The pollution has rendered there farms and rivers useless thus causing untold hardship to the people. If 300000 ogoni people protested in the military era then the FG should expect a mega protest that will be covered by international media. Ogoni are supported by the UNITED NATIONS.

Are the Ogoni people willing to pay back all the gains accrued due to crude oil exploration? Nigerians must stop towing the way of sentiments in order to achieve a cheap political point. United Nation is not part of Nigeria and one wonders where the idiotic United Nation stood when Bakassi was ceded to Cameroon.
Re: Massive Protest By Ogoni People In Port Harcourt by nairaarea: 3:43pm On Dec 10, 2013
DerideGull:

Are the Ogoni people willing to pay back all the gains accrued due to crude oil exploration? Nigerians must stop towing the way of sentiments in order to achieve a cheap political point. United Nation is not part of Nigeria and one wonders where the idiotic United Nation stood when Bakassi was ceded to Cameroon.

this is an inhuman post. OGONI gained virtually nothing from SHELL AND THE FG during the 30 years of oil exploration. Read history or google Ogoni or visit Ogoni to understand the marginalisation of this tribe. This is not a matter of sentiment. People are dying. Water in some villages have more than 900 times normal level of benzene which causes cancer.

Let us have conscience
Re: Massive Protest By Ogoni People In Port Harcourt by hardywaltz(m): 12:37am On Dec 11, 2013
DerideGull:

I must say your assumption is a wild goose chase. Ogoni and Ikwerre can not elect governor in Rivers State.
According to Nyesom Wike and i quote "Obio Akpor votes alone are more than the total votes of Bayelsa State"
Obio Akpor, PHALGA and Eleme LGA alone accounts for 75% Rivers State voting strength (you can verify this from INEC or NPC)
I leave you to draw you own conclusion.
Re: Massive Protest By Ogoni People In Port Harcourt by peleson: 8:12am On Dec 11, 2013
kel4soft:

Amaechi replacement that's what we are interested in and it should not be Wike and or any of his devilish click.
As for GEJ, I wish him all the best in other region election.

What APC (Rivers) may do on that Presidential election is to stay at home to reduce PDP figures. Then, they can do catch up in other zones.
My brother, APC will deliver Governorship and leave the presidency open. Ofcos Rivers South East senatorial zone will produce the governor. Also note that the issue of Riverine n upland is on ground. In this zone we have Ogoni, Opobo , Andoni etc So considering the Riverine, the Slot is likely going to Opobo since they are the Strongest Contenders

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jonathan Under Hostage, Can’t Fight Corruption - David-west / Exposed!!! This Is The Documentary Pdp Does Not Want You To Watch!!!! / Breaking From USA Nnamdi Kanu And IPOB Delegates To USA Release Official Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.