Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,142 members, 7,815,002 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

Uruguay Becomes First Country In The World To Legalize Marijuana - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uruguay Becomes First Country In The World To Legalize Marijuana (767 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: FG Should Legalize Illegal Refineries - Murray-Bruce / DEAL: Buhari to legalize gay marriage if US helps him win, / Angola Becomes First Country To “BAN” Islam – Destroys Mosques (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Uruguay Becomes First Country In The World To Legalize Marijuana by prymesolution: 3:40am On Dec 11, 2013
Uruguay has become the first country in the world to legalize both the sale and production of marijuana. President Jose Mujica has championed the measure as a way of combating the illegal drug industry that has decimated parts of Uruguay.

The country’s parliament passed the bill by a vote of 16 to 13 on Tuesday evening. Senator Alberto Couriel, a member of the ruling Broad Front left-wing coalition, called the passing of the bill "a historic day" for Uruguay.

Under the new legislation, the price of marijuana will be set at one dollar per gram, aiming to undercut the current price of $1.40 on the illegal market. The sale and production of the drug will be regulated by a specially-set-up government body which will administer a database of adult citizens registered to consume marijuana.

“This is an attempt to bring an end to the illegal drugs trade by identifying the market and bringing it into the light of day,” said President Mujica in a statement. Mujica added that the law does not promote the consumption of the drug; it merely identifies the consumer so that authorities may “intervene if [the consumer] overdoes it.”

Before the new legislation was passed, the consumption of marijuana in Uruguay was not penalized, but the sale and production of the drug was considered a criminal offense.

The legislators must be high on weed - pun intended...lol.

http://www.infonubia.com/2013/12/caught-smoking-weed-in-uruguay-no.html
Re: Uruguay Becomes First Country In The World To Legalize Marijuana by Nobody: 4:27am On Dec 11, 2013
Some Nairalanders will begin to consider migrating ASAP.
Re: Uruguay Becomes First Country In The World To Legalize Marijuana by Brimmie(m): 4:36am On Dec 11, 2013
Make my Suarez dey smoke tree na hin remain!! grin E go chop all of una ear comot for World Cup! cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Uruguay Becomes First Country In The World To Legalize Marijuana by prymesolution: 4:42am On Dec 11, 2013
Rudebwoy: Some Nairalanders will begin to consider migrating ASAP.

Lol...sharp migration.
Re: Uruguay Becomes First Country In The World To Legalize Marijuana by prymesolution: 4:43am On Dec 11, 2013
Brimmie: Make my Suarez dey smoke tree na hin remain!! grin E go chop all of una ear comot for World Cup! cheesy grin

Hahaha....see wickedness in high places..lol

1 Like

Re: Uruguay Becomes First Country In The World To Legalize Marijuana by jaiykem: 5:39am On Dec 11, 2013
Majica marijuna. Watch forlan falcao and d liverpool man do d thing in world cup.
Re: Uruguay Becomes First Country In The World To Legalize Marijuana by Nobody: 6:16am On Dec 11, 2013
If only our House of Assembly can be this proactive, I for don run commot this country since..

Imagine Mighty the Cat wey dey smoke week just once a while dey threaten to beat me up if en catch me with Kachi wey no like am, by the time it becomes legal na Kill e go dey take threaten me undecided
Re: Uruguay Becomes First Country In The World To Legalize Marijuana by ichidodo: 7:46am On Dec 11, 2013
If they try this in Mexico, the drug cartels will overthrow the Government.Who wan spoil market?!!?!
Re: Uruguay Becomes First Country In The World To Legalize Marijuana by 9jii(m): 7:56am On Dec 11, 2013
Nigeria should do the same.
Weed people are cool people.
They don't tribal things.they reason too.

1 Like

Re: Uruguay Becomes First Country In The World To Legalize Marijuana by Nobody: 8:20am On Dec 11, 2013
ichidodo: If they try this in Mexico, the drug cartels will overthrow the Government.Who wan spoil market?!!?!
hmmm. I like the way you think.
Re: Uruguay Becomes First Country In The World To Legalize Marijuana by kolubo(m): 10:10am On Dec 11, 2013
9jii.:
Nigeria should do the same.
Weed people are cool people.
They don't tribal things.they reason too.
If Nigeria govt legalised it that means our leaders are high on weed.
Re: Uruguay Becomes First Country In The World To Legalize Marijuana by alaoeri: 10:41am On Dec 11, 2013
jaiykem: Majica marijuna. Watch forlan falcao and d liverpool man do d thing in world cup.
Falcao na Columbia not Uruguay maybe you referring to Cavani.
Re: Uruguay Becomes First Country In The World To Legalize Marijuana by prymesolution: 4:26pm On Dec 11, 2013
Nairaland Ojoro!
Re: Uruguay Becomes First Country In The World To Legalize Marijuana by rash47(m): 4:51pm On Dec 11, 2013
Ok, we will get there...

Re: Uruguay Becomes First Country In The World To Legalize Marijuana by Afam4eva(m): 5:36pm On Dec 11, 2013

(1)

Chie no pant pics18+ / Breaking News: Ebonyi State House Of Assembly Speaker Impeached / Chime: Why My Deputy Must Go

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.