Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,457 members, 7,954,787 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:22 AM

This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. (5960 Views)

Nigerian Parents Give Birth To White Baby (Photos) / Classic Ways African Parents Set Their Kids Straight(pics) / What Do You Do When Your Biological Parents Treat You Like A Slave (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jan 04, 2014
Thank you Elli. I'm learning as a parent on this thread.

You see,I don't get the logic behind hitting kids among Nigerians. What they don't know is, once it's adopted , it's never easy to cub and then escalates .
Y'all will be surprised that my generation ( parents) flaunt this bullish act all in name of discipline. Shame on them.

Lovette I'm sorry bout what you're going thru. I'm speechless and the thought of your experience makes me sick to my stomach. I don't know what to say.

You touch my kid, you're good as dead AND you better not have a visitor visa or your aśš is on the line with immigration. Because I will hunt you down till you're out of the country.

I'm pissed off angry
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 9:39pm On Jan 04, 2014
@Ewuro...I'm elated i'm actually helping out...Thanks for your comment and contribution..
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Chinwem(f): 9:46pm On Jan 04, 2014
lovette_frank: Eli dude, thanks for this thread. For the first time ever in my existence I've been able to tell a non-family member what I went through as a kid and what I'm still going through as an adult. I've been crying the weight/torture of all these years out (since I saw your thread) and the more I say out these things the better I'm feeling. So I might as well type it here. Planning on seeing a counsellor or something.

I lived in constant fear, I still live in fear. I haven't been to Nigeria in a long while because of fear of being in the same place as my parents. Each time I go back home, I get physically abused (even in the presence of my siblings) all in the name of discipline. Mind you, I'm almost 23 years old.

I stuttered as a kid( and now) so life was harder than normal, getting a syllable out was a task. My parents would laugh at me anytime I stutter, in the presence of my siblings. They would tell me I'm too slow and sluggish and I suffer from self-esteem issues. I hardly spoke in public. They made me feel like sh!t. I was always compared to someone else's child. I was hardly good at anything (to them). Anytime I was picked out to recite something at event or do something related to public-speaking, I'd keep hearing comments like this from my parents

"I no pity you , better don't bring disgrace to this family by going out there to stutter, you mates will be speaking normally, you will be acting epileptic"..... I was a child for goodness's sake. 5/6/7 yr old child!

When I get beaten, it's usually with heels, belts, koboko, Cain, sticks etc. It always lasted for hours. And by the time the section is done, I'll be half naked/or totally naked with marks on my body still pleading for forgiveness. Each time I stop to plead, that means I get another round of beating. I would go to school the next day with blood sticking to my uniform.

I get accused wrongly all the time and I get severely (understatement) punished for it.

They would justify these barbaric acts by saying children are full of demons that should be casted out with beatings, and I'd appreciate these sessions of torture in the future.

This is the future, I'm still has fücked up as anyone else in the world. I can't talk in public. I have a very low self esteem. I'm very clingy and this is even affecting my current relationship with my boyfriend. They raised a low-confidence girl. I wasn't allowed to interact with kids my age, not even my cousins.

Sometimes, thinking back, I wish I could stab them, hurt them. I don't even have a normal relationship with my siblings.

African parents are devils when it comes to raising kids. They suck!!!!! Beating a 5 year old for 5 hours is animalistic.

So much to say......

I want to leave all these behind but I can't, I still get abused anytime I see them, even though I'm 22. They'll be coming over later this year, and I'm not looking forward to it.....
they're still sponsoring my education, so they have a hold on me..

I am so pissed and so pained on your behalf

NOBODY has a hold on you
You are 22 , you don't have to put up with this
Talk to your boyfriend
I am soooooo pissed off........
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 9:51pm On Jan 04, 2014
Chinwem:

I am so pissed and so pained on your behalf

NOBODY has a hold on you
You are 22 , you don't have to put up with this
Talk to your boyfriend
I am soooooo pissed off........

Calm down pls...Her dad sponsors her education..If she decides to go with her B.f, consider the consequences except maybe he's rich and can cover up the payment of her school fees..Like till she graduates..
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by lovettefrank: 10:09pm On Jan 04, 2014
Imagine how I feel when people reading my posts feel so much anger.

Like Eli said, I'm still stuck with them till I complete my education (which is very very very soon).

Is there a platform where one can raise this kind of awareness coz I'm sure a good number of African kids are raised by half-baked and frustrated parents too.

The fact that they provide my needs financially (which is their job as parents) makes them think I'm their slave and I have no right to an opinion or even an apology when they're wrong.

Anytime I hear words like " we love you" from them, I just chuckle internally. They're so twisted. The scariest part is they think what they're doing is perfectly normal.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 10:15pm On Jan 04, 2014
Lovette pls suggest this to the mods...People may think i have other motives in mind..They'll say i'm seeking popularity but i feel bad seeing Parents treating their kids in such rude manners..

I'll be excited if this actually makes the front page..
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by lovettefrank: 10:22pm On Jan 04, 2014
Ok I'll suggest it
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 10:29pm On Jan 04, 2014
lovette_frank: Ok I'll suggest it
Thank you very much..
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by bukatyne(f): 11:03pm On Jan 04, 2014
This 'endure things will so change' mentality is the reason why most adults are frustrated.

Especially when they findout that they may have to endure till forever

n
teeo: That's how parents are oo they feel it's their place to do the correction and not the reverse.
My mum used to tell me that until the day I start feeding her, her word is law in the house.

Her word isn't law anymore but advice that I choose to obey or not. Boys are now men. grin.

just tell the children to endure soon things would change. grin
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 11:12pm On Jan 04, 2014
bukatyne: This 'endure things will so change' mentality is the reason why most adults are frustrated.

Especially when they findout that they may have to endure till forever

n
So true!!
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Chinwem(f): 12:21am On Jan 05, 2014
Elli-dude:

Calm down pls...Her dad sponsors her education..If she decides to go with her B.f, consider the consequences except maybe he's rich and can cover up the payment of her school fees..Like till she graduates..

Don't tell me to calm down!!
Don't go there
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 5:42am On Jan 05, 2014
Chinwem:

Don't tell me to calm down!!
Don't go there
Its alright..I'll keep calm.
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by pickabeau1: 6:50am On Jan 05, 2014
lPlease dont go to front page
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 7:12am On Jan 05, 2014
pickabeau1: lPlease dont go to front page
Why?
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by bellong: 11:00am On Jan 05, 2014
lovette_frank:

This isn't in the past yet. They still do it. Anytime I'm in the same place as them, I'll get beaten for my so-called "offense" all in the name of discipline. And I dare not talk back.

Miss, they still beat you at your age because you have not found courage to stand up to them. When next they raise their hand to beat you, stand up to them. It will take them by surprise.

You will be threatened with discontinuity of your school fees, do not bother, only statement born out of shock. You are at a stage where you have to confront your demon. Overcome your fear, stand up to their aggression and torture. I wish you could be as stubborn as I was in your age to deliver myself from parental ignorance of suppression. It should get to a point where you need to ask if they are truly your parents.

Sis, this battle can be won before leaving their house finally. No parents have the right to become a dictator over their children. Their duty is to lead their children in the right path to follow while children chart their own course.

If they quote you bible to honour your parents, show them the part that instructed parents not to provoke their children to anger. The right time to confront your demon is now.
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 11:07am On Jan 05, 2014
Bellong..God bless ya..You are sagacious
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Arialbold: 5:08am On Jan 07, 2014
this is so true!!!
there are school teachers who beat the children like they are beating goats.
many parents do the same which is even more sad.
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 7:32am On Jan 07, 2014
Arial.bold:
this is so true!!!
there are school teachers who beat the children like they are beating goats.
many parents do the same which is even more sad.
Sometimes these teachers are urged to do so by Parents..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

is Breastfeeding sexually arousing ? / A Nairalander Just Killed Herself....IvyBlue / My Wife And Her Ex Issue.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.