Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:25 AM

This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. (5819 Views)

Nigerian Parents Give Birth To White Baby (Photos) / Classic Ways African Parents Set Their Kids Straight(pics) / What Do You Do When Your Biological Parents Treat You Like A Slave (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by resurrectn(m): 11:41am On Jan 04, 2014
pweetixandy:

i doubt dat
Choi, really ??
Nawa o
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 11:44am On Jan 04, 2014
pweetixandy:

i doubt dat
He's not lying..We're very close friends..
Resurrectn na lie?
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by resurrectn(m): 11:51am On Jan 04, 2014
Elli-dude:
Awwww..I think i'm tearing a little..

*sobs* Such rare love..
Hehehe
Lol, kal it love or whatever u feel like but whenever I hook up with my sis, we usually take a trip down memory lane n laff out our brains n pray we don't end up doin the same with our kids.
The thing is some parents can really f.uck up, the kids will hv to choose to be bitter about it or b strong and get over it. I thank my parents for helping me develop a tough skin.
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Tolexander: 11:54am On Jan 04, 2014
resurrectn:
No p,I'm following u already so i'll know whenever u actually create dt thread!
alright bro!
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 11:54am On Jan 04, 2014
resurrectn:
Lol, kal it love or whatever u feel like but whenever I hook up with my sis, we usually take a trip down memory lane n laff out our brains n pray we don't end up doin the same with our kids.
The thing is some parents can really f.uck up, the kids will hv to choose to be bitter about it or b strong and get over it. I thank my parents for helping me develop a tough skin.
That's really nice
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by resurrectn(m): 11:55am On Jan 04, 2014
Elli-dude:
He's not lying..We're very close friends..
Resurrectn na lie?
Lol, Very close indeed
I think what pweetixandy doubts is missing her parents eventually shocked
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 12:07pm On Jan 04, 2014
resurrectn:
Lol, Very close indeed
Exact presumption..
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by pweetixandy: 12:16pm On Jan 04, 2014
resurrectn:
Lol, Very close indeed
i Wld miSs my sibS,not my Parents
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Tolexander: 12:16pm On Jan 04, 2014
Elli-dude:
Truly right + funny signature.
don't mind the sig bro!
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 12:19pm On Jan 04, 2014
pweetixandy:
i Wld miSs my sibS,not my Parents
You got issues with your parents?

That's not good if i'm actually right..Don't get me wrongly.
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 12:23pm On Jan 04, 2014
Tolexander: don't mind the sig bro!
Lol..I'll try not to
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by pweetixandy: 12:30pm On Jan 04, 2014
Elli-dude:
You got issues with your parents?

That's not good if i'm actually right..Don't get me wrongly.
yh...kinda
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 12:34pm On Jan 04, 2014
pweetixandy:
yh...kinda
I'm sorry anyway..Just hope you patch up things with them pretty soon..
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by bluuu: 1:17pm On Jan 04, 2014
i can laugh wt my family n discuss anything but not my love life or my friendship wt pple
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 1:19pm On Jan 04, 2014
bluuu: i can laugh wt my family n discuss anything but not my love life or my friendship wt pple
That's nice.
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by lovettefrank: 1:42pm On Jan 04, 2014
Eli dude, thanks for this thread. For the first time ever in my existence I've been able to tell a non-family member what I went through as a kid and what I'm still going through as an adult. I've been crying the weight/torture of all these years out (since I saw your thread) and the more I say out these things the better I'm feeling. So I might as well type it here. Planning on seeing a counsellor or something.

I lived in constant fear, I still live in fear. I haven't been to Nigeria in a long while because of fear of being in the same place as my parents. Each time I go back home, I get physically abused (even in the presence of my siblings) all in the name of discipline. Mind you, I'm almost 23 years old.

I stuttered as a kid( and now) so life was harder than normal, getting a syllable out was a task. My parents would laugh at me anytime I stutter, in the presence of my siblings. They would tell me I'm too slow and sluggish and I suffer from self-esteem issues. I hardly spoke in public. They made me feel like sh!t. I was always compared to someone else's child. I was hardly good at anything (to them). Anytime I was picked out to recite something at event or do something related to public-speaking, I'd keep hearing comments like this from my parents

"I no pity you , better don't bring disgrace to this family by going out there to stutter, you mates will be speaking normally, you will be acting epileptic"..... I was a child for goodness's sake. 5/6/7 yr old child!

When I get beaten, it's usually with heels, belts, koboko, Cain, sticks etc. It always lasted for hours. And by the time the section is done, I'll be half naked/or totally naked with marks on my body still pleading for forgiveness. Each time I stop to plead, that means I get another round of beating. I would go to school the next day with blood sticking to my uniform.

I get accused wrongly all the time and I get severely (understatement) punished for it.

They would justify these barbaric acts by saying children are full of demons that should be casted out with beatings, and I'd appreciate these sessions of torture in the future.

This is the future, I'm still has fücked up as anyone else in the world. I can't talk in public. I have a very low self esteem. I'm very clingy and this is even affecting my current relationship with my boyfriend. They raised a low-confidence girl. I wasn't allowed to interact with kids my age, not even my cousins.

Sometimes, thinking back, I wish I could stab them, hurt them. I don't even have a normal relationship with my siblings.

African parents are devils when it comes to raising kids. They suck!!!!! Beating a 5 year old for 5 hours is animalistic.

So much to say......

I want to leave all these behind but I can't, I still get abused anytime I see them, even though I'm 22. They'll be coming over later this year, and I'm not looking forward to it.....
they're still sponsoring my education, so they have a hold on me..
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 1:59pm On Jan 04, 2014
@Lovette...You don't know how sad i am..I feel like hugging you just to say a big SORRY..

It's truly appalling how your parents would treat you like an animal..Believe me you, you tried in terms of perseverance..

Trust me, there's something unique about you..ITS WHO YOU ARE..You may be a stammerer but i sense this dying urge in your statement..The urge to pour out your anger..

One word for you, Never let anyone make you feel like you're worthless..Pretend like you don't listen to them..

more to come..

Hope its helping someone?

1 Like

Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 2:06pm On Jan 04, 2014
I wasn't treated the way you were treated@Lovette so i wouldn't know how you feel...But one thing is certain they made you feel bad..Its as worse as child trafficking..

For now, what you truly need is to believe and look to the future..See where you're going to..Make it your only focus and trust me, nothing would pull your zeal down..

I must confess you're a good writer..Get a diary, write your good moments and anytime you feel sad, read those happy moments..Try to be free with your parents for- They are the reason you're existing..

In all, don't get blinded by hatred..

Learn to love those who hate you and make sure you don't do thesame to your kids..Teach them what's best so this barbaric act of Nigerian Parents would be extincted from our country..

Thanks..

1 Like

Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by lovettefrank: 2:14pm On Jan 04, 2014
Thank you Eli_dude. Thank you.

This isn't in the past yet. They still do it. Anytime I'm in the same place as them, I'll get beaten for my so-called "offense" all in the name of discipline. And I dare not talk back.

I wish I could just go into a coma (pass out) when they're beating me one day and scared the sh!t out of them!

I can never genuinely love or respect them. The only relationship we can have will be similar to the one between the Jews and Hitler, fear and tolerance.

Sooner or later, the fear will wear out and I'll only tolerate them. Devils!
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 2:21pm On Jan 04, 2014
lovette_frank: Thank you Eli_dude. Thank you.

This isn't in the past yet. They still do it. Anytime I'm in the same place as them, I'll get beaten for my so-called "offense" all in the name of discipline. And I dare not talk back.

I wish I could just go into a coma (pass out) when they're beating me one day and scared the shît out them!

I can never genuinely love or respect them. The only relationship we can have will be similar to the one between the Jews and Hitler, fear and tolerance
I get the picture..Are you a christian?
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by lovettefrank: 2:23pm On Jan 04, 2014
Elli-dude:
I get the picture..Are you a christian?

Yes.
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 2:29pm On Jan 04, 2014
Lovette, If your parents still beat you in public, permit me to say this, THEY ARE AS GOOD AS BEEN CALLED TROLLS..

Jeez!! This is so annoying..For crying out loud you're too grown for that..

I wish i could do something more than just words..I'm feeling so bad like it was happening to me..Trust me when i say that i can't persevere if it was really happening to me..I'm still happy you never did something stupid..Say- Suicide..

Just stay alive ok?

Someone out there watches you!!
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by bluuu: 2:32pm On Jan 04, 2014
@lovette,i understand to some extent.im sorry.inasmuch as i discuss welll wt my family,they never tot me some tns esp boys n sex,i had to learn ds outside.i tnk God it ws not too late for me to retrace my steps n it has made me strong.dear take it as a challenge n b strong.believe no 1 owes u anything,never put ur happiness in people.at times u feel lik crying in ur privacy,let it out,dont hide it.it helped me in becoming strong.be independent in ur tots.its well,u r never alone
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by lovettefrank: 2:50pm On Jan 04, 2014
@eli, trolls is such an euphemism cheesy. They used to beat me in public when I was younger, but not anymore. Now They make sure it's just them and my siblings present. Bullies!

I feel much better letting this all out. Thank you for your kind words.

@ blu, thank you.
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 2:53pm On Jan 04, 2014
lovette_frank: @eli, trolls is such an euphemism cheesy. They used to beat me in public when I was younger, but not anymore. Now They make sure it's just them and my siblings present. Bullies!

I feel much better letting this all out. Thank you for your kind words.

@ blu, thank you.
*Smiles*

I love it when people feel better..I'm glad i could help ya..

Wow!! You registered newly..Some hours ago..Quite happy your first 4 comments were on this..
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by pweetixandy: 3:04pm On Jan 04, 2014
bh
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 3:12pm On Jan 04, 2014
pweetixandy: loVette...M so hurt by ur Story.
My folkS r mean wit wordS,d thns dey say made Me SeeK refuge by attemPting early Marriage..
i desPerately wanted my freedom bt it failed.
My folks wld call u an idiot,fool,animal.
Mtchew
I keep asking myself this question, WHAT ARE PARENTS FEELING LIKE?

THEY OWN YOU COMPLETELY?

DO TO YOU WHAT THEY PLEASE?

If these actually happened to me? I would have lost my respect for them..
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by pweetixandy: 3:20pm On Jan 04, 2014
Elli-dude:
I keep asking myself this question, WHAT ARE PARENTS FEELING LIKE?

THEY OWN YOU COMPLETELY?

DO TO YOU WHAT THEY PLEASE?

If these actually happened to me? I would have lost my respect for them..

dey Pay d bills bt dat wld change soon
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 3:26pm On Jan 04, 2014
pweetixandy:

dey Pay d bills bt dat wld change soon
I pray so
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by resurrectn(m): 3:49pm On Jan 04, 2014
@lovette frank ; Im sorry to hear about ur case.....it really is sad. Try to hold on, stay strong but how come ur siblings don't help? Dt is wat baffles me d most! Try to focus ur anger on ur studies n career. Remember u re not alone n seeing a professional is not a bad idea.
@pweetyxandi ; U ll need a lot of mental strength to escape those insults, u just hv to look within. If ur parents feel their words hurt u, they ll continue to use it against u!!! U must act lyk u didn't hear wat they said at all even if it really hurts.
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by troy20(m): 9:08pm On Jan 04, 2014
i wish the National assembly could pursue laws regarding children and parenting...maybe issue licenses to intending parents.African children are the least protected.The abuse and all.they are like slaves.any raggamuffin with a joystice can wip it out at will and make a human with no rights.from the poor fucknizer with over 18 kids in my street to the famous almajiris of the north.....child rearing shouldnt be a poultry farm.
Re: This is how most Nigerian parents treat their kids.. Its a lil unfair.. by Ellidude(m): 9:16pm On Jan 04, 2014
troy20: i wish the National assembly could pursue laws regarding children and parenting...maybe issue licenses to intending parents.African children are the least protected.The abuse and all.they are like slaves.any raggamuffin with a joystice can wip it out at will and make a human with no rights.from the poor fucknizer with over 18 kids in my street to the famous almajiris of the north.....child rearing shouldnt be a poultry farm.
Uhm..I think its high time we put an end to this..I've suggested this for the front page but no reply..I'd love the whole of Nairaland to consider this for i know there are many parents present on this website who do exactly as the SUBJECT says and many nairalanders suffering as victims..

If you think its necessary i'll like you to pls help suggest..Thats if you wish..Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lady Gets 9 Stitches On Her Head After Being Married To Hubby For One Month / Is Abortion The Same As Murder? Is Abortion Forgivable? / Advise Me Like Your Younger Brother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.