Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,786 members, 7,841,047 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 07:51 PM

Fight Against Corruption: OBJ Style Versus GEJ Style - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fight Against Corruption: OBJ Style Versus GEJ Style (2162 Views)

Ibrahim Magu: Fight Against Corruption Has Just Started And Corruption Knows It. / Buhari’s Anti-corruption War: Business Slows Down For Charter Airlines (Punch) / Buhari Warns Family Members Against Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fight Against Corruption: OBJ Style Versus GEJ Style by Nobody: 11:04am On Dec 16, 2013
Pukkah:

You're just littering everywhere with meaningless posts.

You failed to address all the issues I raised. Posting should not be about quantity but quality. Oops, I forgot they use the number of posts to pay you.

Again:

1. Show me only one post where I have attacked the person of Jonathan.

2. Prove that I've never criticized Tinubu's actions or those of the ACN/APC.

3. Let's stay off posting on Nairaland Politics section for 4 weeks to see whose pay/earnings will be affected.

4. Attack some of the policies of Jonathan. Or are you saying they are all perfect?

Meanwhile, your attention is needed on this thread where you've again disgraced yourself and proved that you're a paid agent. This is why it's ridiculous that a mere paid and inconsequential agent is saying he's on top and calling for cv. This is laughable!

https://www.nairaland.com/1546944/comedy-unlimited-rochas-set-up
I do not need to prove anything to a Tinubu slave. Trying to engage a Tinubu slave in a meaningful debate is akin to talking to the dead and expecting a response.
Re: Fight Against Corruption: OBJ Style Versus GEJ Style by 99100(m): 5:00pm On Dec 16, 2013
berem: Sin.9gerian and his useless threads he opens now and then. How can you ever compare Fighting Corruption during Obasanjo's regime to that of the Retardeen? Even my 10 years old cousin knows Jonathan is Corruption Personified.
Stop opening silly threads please! You're making this section look like a juvenile centre and a place where lunatics have fun. cool
Sorry, u are actually d silly one here for ur inability to differentiate between obj so called fighting corruption and witch hunting percieved oppositions and/or their loyalist.
Re: Fight Against Corruption: OBJ Style Versus GEJ Style by AZeD1(m): 5:21pm On Dec 16, 2013
For once i have to agree with the OP

How can anyone compete with GEJ? What better way to fight corruption than to set up committees and pardon an international fugitive?
Re: Fight Against Corruption: OBJ Style Versus GEJ Style by citizenY(m): 5:45pm On Dec 16, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: People often compare anti-corruption fight in the days when OBJ held sway as president to what is happening under the current govt. Now, this thread is open for this comparison based on FACTS (not based perception or media noise).

In my opinion, the fight against corruption that we saw during the regime of OBJ was full of drama, deceit and PLAYING TO THE GALLERY. It was characterised by sack and prosecution of some senior govt officials (SOME of whom were deliberately set up by the same govt). The cases that stand out include those of the former Inspector-General of Police, Tafa Balogun; former senate president, Adolphus Wabara; former education minister, Prof. Fabian Osuji and former health minister, Nike Grange.

However, after much DRAMA and dancing in the media many of those cases of corruption could not stand judicial scrutiny. Below is the statement made by the Appeal Court while freeing the duo of Adolphus Wabara and Prof. Fabian Osuji of the allegations of corruption slammed on them by OBJ:

"the charge was bogus and failed to establish a prima facie case against the accused persons.... the prosecution failed to attach the list of witnesses and other relevant documents to the charge as required by law....the criminal charge was frivolous, baseless and had no merit and as such could not be sustained"
http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2010/06/02/n50-million-scam-court-frees-wabara-osuji-abdulazeez/

There was also so much media DRAMA around the arrest and prosecution of serving and retired governors for alleged corruption in the OBJ era but NO conviction was secured. I mean NO conviction in 8 years.

Again, what is the point in recruiting people of questionable character into ones govt only to later sack them in the name of fighting corruption? Wouldn't it have been more beneficial to Nigerians and the govt if the president had ab initio gone for people of high integrity?

Now lets subject the DRAMA and all the media shenanigans that went into fighting corruption in the OBJ era to further scrutiny. Did it lead to stable electricity, better roads, better aviation sector, restoration of rail transport system, improved infrastructural development in our schools, reduced unemployment, reduced poverty,etc?

And most importantly, did the sack of some people for alleged corruption reduce corruption in the country then? Did it stop or reduce the ghost workers syndrome? Did it stop the Halliburton and Seimens bribery scandal (linked directly to the presidency)? Did it stop electoral fraud, which is considered by many as the GREATEST form of corruption? How did it help in the alleged misappropriation of $16 billion in the NIPP power projects? How did it help in the alleged N50 million per legislator 3rd term bribery scandal that rocked the NASS? And so and so forth.

And how much really (in terms of naira and kobo) did Nigeria save as a result of the sack of those people? And where was the extra funds, if any, invested? Was it in roads, railways, Airports, hospitals, schools,etc?

Now lets compare the OBJ PLAYING TO THE GALLERY strategy of fighting corruption and the current president's SYSTEMATIC strategy of fighting corruption below:

1. The Biometric based integrated pay roll system instituted by this govt has saved the nation a whopping N120 billion annually, which was lost in the past to Ghost workers. The benefit from this alone, exceeds whatever would have been gained by playing to the gallery.

2. Transparent privatisation of PHCN. This singular measure has completely freed that sector from public sector corruption. The govt contracts,bribery, etc are gone for good.

3. Eradication of the fraudulent fertilizer subsidy scheme. The Growth Enhancement Scheme (GES) instituted by this govt eradicated DECADES of fraud in the fertilizer distribution system. Farmers registered under the scheme now receive their fertilizer via mobile phones. Govt no longer awards contract for fertilizer purchase. This system alone, saved the govt N25 billion in 2012. In the past, the N25 billion would have been lost to corruption and contracts. No wonder the agric minister was recently made FORBES MAN OF THE YEAR 2013.

4. Removal of fuel subsidy. The complete removal of fuel subsidy would have COMPLETELY eradicated the fraud in that area. Unfortunately, the protest stalled the whole thing.

5. FREE AND FAIR ELECTIONS. This for me is the greatest tool for fighting corruption. Leaders who are truely elected by the people tend to be more ACCOUNTABLE to the people. This is what this govt has done through free and fair elections.

6. Passage of Freedom of Information bill. This law further enhances transparency in govt. Past govt refused to pass this law.

And so on and so forth. These are in addition to whatever the EFCC and ICPC are doing.

Now, Nigerians should choose between PLAYING TO THE GALLERY in disguise of fighting corruption and fighting corruption using SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGY with TANGIBLE BENEFITS.

Please do us a favour, you should tell your principal to respond to OBJ or tell him to write his own letter to OBJ...FIRE FOR FIRE

SHADOW BOXING IS JUST EXERCISE, LET HIM COME OUT FOR THE TOURNAMENT

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

World Bank Releases List Of Nigerian Looters With Billions In Foreign Bank / Breaking News: Enugu PDP Selects Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi For 2015 Governorship / Peter Obi Cannot Make Ihedioha Governor In Imo – Okorocha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.