Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday (8636 Views)

FG Unveils Free Health Services To 100 Million Nigerians / The Catalyst For Imminent Collapse Of The Health Sector In Nigeria / Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by ekoileee: 2:34am On Dec 12, 2013
The doctors have threatened to resume their nationwide strike.

Nigerian doctors say they would embark on a nationwide strike from December 14, the end of an ultimatum issued the government, following the federal government’s failure to comply with an agreement reached with their union, the Nigerian Medical Association.

The doctors also said the Minister of Health, Onyebuchi Chukwu, should be held responsible for any crisis that erupts from the health sector from December 14.

[b]The doctors stated their position in a notice titled “Countdown to the December 14th deadline,” and made available to PREMIUM TIMES by the President of the NMA, Osahon Enabulele. The doctors said only the re-constitution and inauguration of the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria, MDCN, has been achieved for the over five months that the NMA has been engaging the federal government in talks. They said the government ignored other parts of the agreements reached earlier in the year. The agreements ignored, according to Mr. Enabulele, are: issues bordering on workplace conditions and injustice meted out to doctors in their conditions of service, as well as funding/infrastructural and equipment upgrade of the health sector.

This is not the first time the Nigerian government would be going back on agreements reached with workers unions. Since July this year, all government owned universities have been under lock as a result of the federal government not complying with agreements reached in 2009 with the lecturers’ union, ASUU, on issues such as university funding and staff welfare.[/b]

The doctors, like the lecturers, have held series of meetings with government officials including those of the Federal Ministry of Health, Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, on issues bordering on some health sector challenges, workplace conditions, and the conditions of service of doctors.

On September 2, 2013, the association issued a 21-day ultimatum to the FG to address the issues tabled by NMA. However, based on the understanding reached following the intervention of the Minister of Labour and Productivity, Emeka Wogu, the NMA extended her ultimatum by four weeks at her emergency National Executive Council (NEC) meeting held in Abuja on September 22, 2013.

Following the expiration of the additional four weeks ultimatum, the NMA again extended twice the ultimatum on account of the government’s constitution of a Presidential Committee and promise to speedily resolve the issues contained in the requests of the NMA.

Unfortunately, since the report of the Presidential Committee was submitted to the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, only the re-constitution and inauguration of the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria has been achieved while other parts of the agreement were ignored.

The doctors, through their president, have now said it would be difficult to guarantee further extension of the grace period and industrial harmony in the health sector.

“Efforts by the NMA to engage the leadership of the Federal Ministry of Health even at this eleventh hour collapsed following the unserious approach and attitude of the leadership of the Federal Ministry of Health who seem to be less bordered about the potential crisis which may erupt in Nigeria’s health sector from Saturday, December 14, 2013.

“Therefore the Nigerian Medical Association most distressingly alerts the entire nation about the imminent collapse of health services across the entire country given the apparent levity and lack of concrete commitment so far exhibited by the Government through the Federal Ministry of Health,” Mr. Enabulele stated.

Read the content of Mr. Onabulele’s statement below.
AS COUNTDOWN TO THE EXPIRATION OF THE NMA ULTIMATUM DRAWS NEAR, THE ASSOCIATION SAYS THAT THE MINISTER OF HEALTH SHOULD BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY CRISIS THAT ERUPTS IN THE HEALTH SECTOR

For over five months now, the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA), the umbrella body for all medical and dental practitioners in Nigeria, has recurrently engaged the Federal Government through the Federal Ministry of Health, Head of the Civil Service of the Federation and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, on issues bordering on some health sector challenges, workplace conditions and the conditions of service of doctors.

On the 2nd September, 2013 the Nigerian Medical Association issued a 21day ultimatum to the Federal Government of Nigeria to address the issues tabled by NMA. However, based on the understanding reached following the intervention of the Honourable Minister of Labour and Productivity, Chief Emeka Wogu CON, the NMA decided to extend her ultimatum by four weeks at her emergency National Executive Council (NEC) meeting held in Abuja on September 22, 2013.

Following the expiration of the additional four (4) weeks grace granted to the Federal Government, the NMA again magnanimously extended twice the ultimatum on account of the Government’s constitution of a Presidential Committee and promise to speedily resolve the issues contained in the requests of the NMA. Sadly, since the report of the Presidential Committee was submitted to the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, only the re-constitution and inauguration of the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria has been achieved. The attention of the government to other issues bordering on workplace conditions and injustice meted out to doctors in their conditions of service and funding/ infrastructural and equipment upgrade of the health sector have not received any significant attention.

On account of the foregoing, it may be difficult to guarantee further extension of the grace period and consequently, industrial harmony in the health sector, especially as the December 14, 2013 deadline issued to the Federal Government to concretely resolve the demands of the NMA draws closer.

Efforts by the NMA to engage the leadership of the Federal Ministry of Health even at this eleventh hour collapsed following the unserious approach and attitude of the leadership of the Federal Ministry of Health who seem to be less bordered about the potential crisis which may erupt in Nigeria’s health sector from Saturday, December 14, 2013.

Therefore the Nigerian Medical Association most distressingly alerts the entire nation about the imminent collapse of health services across the entire country given the apparent levity and lack of concrete commitment so far exhibited by the Government through the Federal Ministry of Health.

Dr Osahon Enabulele

NMA President
Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by ekoileee: 2:35am On Dec 12, 2013
After ASUU, what's next? Medical doctors..

A Nation on the brink............
Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by CircleOfWilis: 4:44am On Dec 12, 2013
strike,strike...this is the rizin we r on stike

people dnt undstnd us anymore, we shld spell out our demands in such a way people wil see and support us,

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by DrOBD(m): 7:36am On Dec 12, 2013
From one strike to the other, God help Nigeria.

Wow, I made FP, 3rd to comment.
I dedicate this achievement to, Seun, all APC and PDP e-warriors, love u guys.
Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by gerald09(m): 8:43am On Dec 12, 2013
Hug wash! That all I gasto say
Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by suolboy(m): 9:13am On Dec 12, 2013
All I can is, THERE WAS A COUNTRY.
Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by Nobody: 10:03am On Dec 12, 2013
The last two times I was sick was in 1998, then last time was 2010.

Thank God. I don't need a doctor.
Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by OgologoDimkpa: 10:04am On Dec 12, 2013
I can see sabotage in the whole thing.... angry
Few people cannot this country to ransome.
That I know for sure...

4 Likes

Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by Adesam09(m): 10:08am On Dec 12, 2013
Ok
Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by Nobody: 10:09am On Dec 12, 2013
the ASUU members will b like "oooo! this ppl wan spoil show for us, they for wait make them settle us first! "
Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by slimpoppa(m): 10:10am On Dec 12, 2013
the whole nation will soon go on strike.
Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by Dygeasy(m): 10:11am On Dec 12, 2013
Lol..

God Help This Country
Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by dridowu: 10:11am On Dec 12, 2013
Instead of FG to do the right thing, they will be beating around the bush , when it now get out of hand they will blame the opposition of hijacking the strike and some pple will now come here to defend the FG. What a country called Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by guy1234: 10:13am On Dec 12, 2013
Let's forget apc For once. This govt definitely is not serious and forthright.That is why everyone is demanding For his or her rights,wrt how the govt had treated looters and militants by enriching them.

1 Like

Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by vicoloni(m): 10:13am On Dec 12, 2013
A word is playing on my mind. INEPTITUDE.
Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by mikolo80: 10:17am On Dec 12, 2013
White men don chop dia own.soldier don chop.politician de chop.lecturers don wise up fight for dia right.now doctors are learning.WHEN WILL MASSES realize that sidedon look doesn't work.only force does.na to hold govt by the balls

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by Lilimax(f): 10:20am On Dec 12, 2013
Why nowangry?
Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by Hearme(m): 10:31am On Dec 12, 2013
GEJ fans will soon come and tell us APC is responsible for the incessant strike action or is it Amaechi again sure. Patiently waiting for Medical Doctor Okupe to comment on this. We live in a country were promises are never fulfill until after a strike action. If only we know since when pensioners have been crying for their pension upgrades long approved by government. Its a pity their strike if there can be any wll fall on deaf ears.
Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by satowind(m): 10:37am On Dec 12, 2013
Nigeria self. Our leaders have killed us later we will complain of not being recognized after our effort in apartheid fight.
Gud luck wen this happens don't go on blaming it on other parties cause this one is on you.

Happy birthday to me

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by fkaz(m): 10:41am On Dec 12, 2013
change of baton, from education to health. this relay is not easy. Make the next organisation they prepare, b4 the finance minister will tell you the country is broke grin
Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by skullbaba: 10:48am On Dec 12, 2013
Everybody is going on strike because of three things : 1. GEJ is weak 2. GEJ is corrupt and 3. The opposition is strongest in recent time
Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by Profayo: 10:51am On Dec 12, 2013
Soon,d national assembly will go on strike
Reason:Wage cut
Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by skullbaba: 10:52am On Dec 12, 2013
My advice to Gej. He needs to man-up. You are the leader of your even when you wear wrapper and postrate to your wives at night. He need to be brave just like thatcher, lincon and other democrat. Democracy did not mean the leaders to be serene
Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by lexrichy(m): 11:05am On Dec 12, 2013
Rudebwoy: The last two times I was sick was in 1998, then last time was 2010.

Thank God. I don't need a doctor.
but u go to the chemist to buy condoms.

1 Like

Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by heykims(m): 11:11am On Dec 12, 2013
OMG, ds is my 8th year in medical school already....
Every disappointment will by God's grace turn blessing. hmm...

1 Like

Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by vanguard1(m): 11:25am On Dec 12, 2013
......And they want ASUU to call of their strike without proper documentation of their agreement. Government is always insincere.
Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by Ayomax(m): 11:47am On Dec 12, 2013
if i tell u say nig neva tire me, then i lie pass devil
Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by Nobody: 12:10pm On Dec 12, 2013
ogologodimkpa: I can see sabotage in the whole thing.... angry
Few people cannot this country to ransome.
That I know for sure...

[b]Sorry to say you are brainless. What sabotage? who is sabotaging who?
I dont even think you people know the meaning of written and signed agreements between parties involved. You are so biased and brainwashed just because of your evil sentiments to protect/defend your so called son.
Even if late yaradua is still the president, and he doesnt fulfill the agreement, It will still be the same story now.
I hate it when sentiments and delusions have taken charge of some brains.
If your biological papa promise you and sign agreement with you to buy you Christmas cloth in the presence of your mother (because i know you are still a kid) , and you know he has the money because you see him always going to beer parlor every day to squander a lot of money, and after New year you never get your xmas gift, Telling you that he was drunk when he signed the agreement.
Will you ever still trust him again? Wont you take the every available opportunity to get your gift? It is food for thought not an insult.
[/b]

9 Likes

Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by Nobody: 12:12pm On Dec 12, 2013
Do they take turns now or what?
Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by Nobody: 12:37pm On Dec 12, 2013
Fresh Air
Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by Christmasdon(m): 12:42pm On Dec 12, 2013
satowind: .
.hey guy happy birthday. Today 12 dec.
To the topic. Who is this FG we are talking about. If it is the president. Let him do something now.
Re: Doctors Warn Of ‘imminent Collapse Of Health Services’ From Saturday by OgologoDimkpa: 12:44pm On Dec 12, 2013
4bobo:

[b]Sorry to say you are brainless. What sabotage? who is sabotaging who?
I dont even think you people know the meaning of written and signed agreements between parties involved. You are so biased and brainwashed just because of your evil sentiments to protect/defend your so called son.
Even if late yaradua is still the president, and he doesnt fulfill the agreement, It will still be the same story now.
I hate it when sentiments and delusions have taken charge of some brains.
If your biological papa promise you and sign agreement with you to buy you Christmas cloth in the presence of your mother (because i know you are still a kid) , and you know he has the money because you see him always going to beer parlor every day to squander a lot of money, and after New year you never get your xmas gift, Telling you that he was drunk when he signed the agreement.
Will you ever still trust him again? Wont you take the every available opportunity to get your gift? It is food for thought not an insult.
[/b]
Are you very stuupi!d for quoting me only to write this bullshi!t.
Next time, face your front angry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Common Stds And Their Symptoms And The Best HERBAL Cure In Nigeria. / Jiangang / Semen Dropping During Excretion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.