Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,743 members, 7,820,558 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:10 PM

Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. (3527 Views)

Ben-Bruce Buys 'Made-In-Nigeria' Car From KIA Company (Photo) / Aridolf Hotel In Bayelsa Owned By Patience Jonathan (photo) / Oshiomole Buys Chips From Child Who Should Be In School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by adamsy07: 8:42pm On Jul 29, 2008
LAGOS STATE HAS JUST BOUGHT AN HOTEL CALLED FLOWING HOTEL(YACHT SUN BORNNE) IN UK.
ME AND SOME OTHER NIGERIANS STAYING ABROAD ARE THINKING IT'S A WHOLE LOTS OF WASTE OF MONEY AND THAT IT'S A WAY THEY HAVE DECIDED TO WASTE THE CITIZENS MONEY.
COS WE THINK THESE AS NO BENEFICT FOR THE LAGOS STATE CITIZENS AND THAT THE CITIZENS WOULD HAVE ENJOYED IT BETTER IF THEY BUILDED AN HOTEL IN LAGOS,WHICH WOULD CREATE AVENUE FOR THEM TO BE EMPLOYED.
FELLOW NIGERIANS WHAT DO YOU THINK??

Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by bluehorizo(m): 8:51pm On Jul 29, 2008
Link pls.
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by manmustwac(m): 8:53pm On Jul 29, 2008
So whats the main purpose of lagos state buying a Hotel? Dose the President and all his entourage plan to stay there to cut down on hotel bills whenever their on official business in the UK?
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by tboy1(m): 8:54pm On Jul 29, 2008
Lagos state govt might have bought this as an investment, probably bought it as a way of generating money in lagos (to start hotel business in lagos) and it would probably start sailing to lagos soon. If its what they bought it for then i think its a good move . . . lets wait and see
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by bluehorizo(m): 8:58pm On Jul 29, 2008
tboy1:

Lagos state govt might have bought this as an investment, probably bought it as a way of generating money in lagos (to start hotel business in lagos) and it would probably start sailing to lagos soon. If its what they bought it for then i think its a good move . . . lets wait and see

makes no sense wasting the tax payers' money. Absolutely senseless.
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by adamsy07: 8:59pm On Jul 29, 2008
BLUEHORIZO,
I SAW IT ON AIT PRESICLY ON A BISI OLATILO SHOW YESTERDAY NIGHT
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by manmustwac(m): 9:01pm On Jul 29, 2008
bluehorizo:

Link please.

I just found the link

http://saharareporters.com/www/news/detail/?id=665
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by adamsy07: 9:06pm On Jul 29, 2008
TIBOY1,
HI,
THE YACHT CANNEVER SAIL TO LAGOS FROM EUROPE COS OF THE DISTANCE,NOBODY WOULD RISK TRAVELLING THAT FAR ON A YACHT.
NOTE:
THE SHIP IS ONLY ALLOWED TO MOVE TO 3 DIFFERENT COUNTRIES IN EUROPE FOR TOURISTS NAMELY
LONDON,PARIS AND BELGIUM.
SO I DON'T SEE ANY WISDOM IN THEIR MOVE.
TALK ABOUT TOURISM,TO DO WELL IN TOURISM YOU HAVE TO IMPROVE ON YOUR COUNTRIES HOTELS,NATURAL PLACES,SECUIRITY AND OTHER FACTORS.
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by manmustwac(m): 9:08pm On Jul 29, 2008
Former Lagos State governor, Bola Tinubu Named in Floating Hotel Buy For Lagos.

Last View on Tue 29th July, 2008
Last Modified on Thu 24th July, 2008 2:47:26 pm
Author: Posted by Admin Sahara
Saharareporters, New York.

Former governor of Lagos State, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu appears to have pocketed the state as he has his hands in many pies concerning the affairs of the state he ruled for eight years. Saharareporters investigations reveals that apart from several other projects in which he is either a direct or indirect beneficiary, the former governor has recently been named in a floating hotel purchase that was concluded few days ago in the United Kingdom. Sources told Saharareporters that the former governor, who has been acting on behalf of the notorious Chagourys (late Gen. Sanni Abacha's partners) to corner juicy construction jobs from the Lagos State government, is directly involved in this deal.

Saharareporters investigations further revealed that the erstwhile Governor of Lagos State, a former chieftain of the National Democratic Coalition (NADECO), arrived London on Sunday (July 20 2008) night leading a retinue of Lagos State officials, traditional rulers and federal officials that included the state commissioner for Tourism, former Senator Tokunbo Afikuyomi, and his Federal counterpart, Ademola Kayode (SAN), as well as a plane load of public relations practitioners and avalanche of reporters of print and electronic media, including 5 staff members of the federally-funded Nigerian Television Authority (NTA).

Tinubu, who is said to be the beneficiary of major juicy contracts from Lagos state since he installed his crony, Babatunde Fashola, as his successor last year, personally handled the hotel deal said to be worth about $40 Million. The deal, which was initially disguised as a public –private partnership between the Lagos State government and some private entities including a commercial bank, is a bona fide contract between Tinubu and the state government according to the latest information available to Saharareporters. The floating hotel, which was based in the UK before its sale, was owned by a Finnish businessman.

When Saharareporters contacted the Lagos State Commissioner for Tourism, Senator Tokunbo Afikuyomi in London, he explained that the Lagos State government bought into the “Floating Hotel” idea because of shortage of hotel rooms in the Lagos metropolis. Further, he denied that the Chagourys were involved in the present deal; instead he claimed that the entire transaction was a Private Public Partnership (PPP) between the Lagos State government and Diamond bank, a Lagos–based commercial bank. He admitted to Saharareporters that the deal was worth 22 million Euros but curiously stated that the government of Lagos will not be spending a dime on the project, not even a loan guarantee for the project.

As Saharareporters reminded Senator Afikuyomi that it will cost the state money to prepare the Marina for the permanent anchorage of the boat, he shot back saying he had stayed in the Sunborn Yacht at its UK base on several occasions and that the floating hotel requires no further work either on the ground or in the Marina. Asked if that includes the cost of towing the Yacht hotel to Lagos, he answered in the negative.

Afikuyomi also denied that Tinubu was involved in the deal in anyway. He also feigned ignorance of Tinubu's presence in London since last Sunday until yesterday. Sources told Saharareporters that Tinubu deliberately stayed away from the handing over ceremony to avoid being seen as the anchorman for the deal, especially in light of recent revelations by THISDAY newspapers of his questionable fiduciary engagement with the Chagourys.

However, sources familiar with the negotiations leading to the purchase of the four-star Sunborn Yacht Hotel located at No. 1 Royal Victoria in the Docklands of London told Saharareporters that the 102-room hotel would cost a lot more than is currently disclosed to the public by the Lagos State government: "there are a whole lot of hidden charges" said a source who did not want to be named. The source drew attention to the fact that the 10 year-old Sunborn Yacht hotel, which was originally brought from Finland to the UK and commenced operations in 2002, does not have an engine of its own.

This means that the Lagos State government would have to pay exorbitant charges for powerful tug boats to tow the Sunborn from the Docklands near London in the United Kingdom to the Marina water fronts of Lagos, Nigeria - a journey that is bound to be long, delicate and potentially intensive. For instance, it took nine days for the Yacht hotel to be brought to London from Finland via Germany. Marine experts say that apart from the potential dangers, with high cost of fuel in the international market, it will be costly to tow the floating hotel to Lagos. Already, Saharareporters has been reliably informed that the contract for the towing of the floating hotel to Lagos, Nigeria using a submersible vessel, has been secretly awarded to the Chagourys for a whopping sum of $5million, a price which is adjustable depending on the prevailing cost of fuel in the international market.

Hoteliers and experts knowledgeable about the age of the boat and its general condition said that they doubt if the cost of buying the Yacht hotel would really worth it in the final analysis, particularly in view of the unending recurrent expenses that would be required to run the hotel. They listed some incidental or additional operating costs to include the cost of anchoring the Yacht to the quay, refurbishing and maintenance that will involve expatriate attention from time to time. Also, the floating hotel has to be attached to the dockside with hydraulic metal rods in order to ensure customers’ safety and stability, especially if the water surrounding it becomes restless in bad weather conditions. These requirements, which are not yet in place, will cost a fortune; a hidden cost which critics say will drive the Lagos State government deeper into the hands of Tinubu and the Lebanese family who run HITECH Construction Company formerly known as C&C (Chagoury and Chagoury) Constructions.

Critics of the project also wonder how many citizens of Lagos can afford a night in the floating hotel; in Docklands where it has been officially operating since 2002; a night out in the hotel average 350 British pounds equivalent of N80, 000 when exchanged to the Nigerian currency, according to the hotel's general manager, a Nigerian, Andrew Mabinuori who disclosed to Saharareporters that the cheapest rooms cost at least 215 pounds per night while the suite cost 500 pounds. He also disclosed that the hotel is scheduled to stop operating in the Docklands on August 3 2008. “I just don't see how this will benefit Lagosians"; echoed a high school teacher, who simply gave his name as Olayeni.

It would be recalled that THISDAY, a Lagos based newspaper, had reported in its July 20, 2008 edition that the Chagoury family, best known for its business relationship with the late dictator, Gen. Sani Abacha, is now the favored contractor to the Lagos State government. According to THISDAY, the Lebanese, operating through HITECH Construction Company Limited, are currently handling construction contracts running into billions of naira in the state. THISDAY learnt that former governor Tinubu who made his name as an anti-Abacha activist, is promoting their businesses before the Lagos State government.

THISDAY further reported that the ex-governor, who traveled to Beirut, Lebanon, a fortnight ago in a Gilbert Chagoury-owned Falcon 7X jet to seal more deals with the family, is also said to own beneficial interest in HITECH Construction Company Limited formerly known as C & C (Chagoury & Chagoury) Construction. HITECH, it would be further recalled, was the company whose earth-moving equipment criminally broke a petroleum product pipeline in Ijegun, Lagos State, on May 15, 2008, leading to the tragic deaths of scores of people, including school children, who were burnt to ashes.

THIS DAY reported also that instead of launching a criminal investigation, the Lagos State government is involved in a cover-up of mass murder shifting blame to the local government or unusual water movement, although civil construction experts blamed the incident on the company, without proper mapping of the area before embarking on the construction job as required by law.

The fire incident in the Ijegun area of Lagos further exposes another shady enterprise of the former governor engaged in while in office. Whilst he was the governor of Lagos State, Tinubu purchased 60 fire-fighting engines from the United Kingdom as part of his administration's fire aid package to enhance the operational capability of the fire service in Lagos. The fire engines, popularly called the "Green Goddess" were described by the BBC as "hopelessly outdated" having been manufactured over fifty years ago.

According to the British Broadcasting Corporation, (BBC), the fire engines were "designed to cope with the aftermath of a nuclear strike, and came to be seen as hopelessly outdated. But now the Green Goddess fire engines have found a new mission - on the streets of Lagos and other African cities". Tinubu purchased them in 2005 in a deal that ran into several billions of Naira. It is however, ironic that the fire engines were no where to be found in several fire incidents and pipeline explosions that incinerated thousands of people, including school children in the state.

Nevertheless, Saharareporters has reliably gathered that some family members of the people who lost their lives in the recent blaze at Ijegun, a Lagos suburb, are planning a major class action lawsuit against the Lagos State government.
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by tboy1(m): 9:11pm On Jul 29, 2008
bluehorizo:

makes no sense wasting the tax payers' money. Absolutely senseless.

If lagos state govt's intentions are clean and they carry it out the business plan successfully without any fund mishandling - i.e most of the funds going into the lagos govt's pocket and the funds to be used for other state development e.g road and security, then i see no reason why this would not work
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by tboy1(m): 9:19pm On Jul 29, 2008
adamsy07:

TIBOY1,
HI,
THE YACHT CANNEVER SAIL TO LAGOS FROM EUROPE COS OF THE DISTANCE,NOBODY WOULD RISK TRAVELLING THAT FAR ON A YACHT.
NOTE:
THE SHIP IS ONLY ALLOWED TO MOVE TO 3 DIFFERENT COUNTRIES IN EUROPE FOR TOURISTS NAMELY
LONDON,PARIS AND BELGIUM.
SO I DON'T SEE ANY WISDOM IN THEIR MOVE.
TALK ABOUT TOURISM,TO DO WELL IN TOURISM YOU HAVE TO IMPROVE ON YOUR COUNTRIES HOTELS,NATURAL PLACES,SECUIRITY AND OTHER FACTORS.

ohh sorry just saw this, if it cant sail outta europe then they probably need some where lagos state officials can come and relax cheesy grin cheesy
just when u think they're doing something positive . . . na wa o

but u never know, the plan could be to generate the funds from europe undecided
they could also make more profit from the currency exchange if the business is in europe, i no even know y i dey defend dis lagos state govt sha cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by Ibime(m): 9:20pm On Jul 29, 2008
Yeah. . . . this yacht is near my house. . . I read the story a few days ago. . . . apparently the Nigerian Tourist whatever wants to use it as a floating hotel.
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by adamsy07: 9:26pm On Jul 29, 2008
@TBOY1,
If lagos state govt's intentions are clean and they carry it out the business plan successfully without any fund mishandling - i.e most of the funds going into the lagos govt's pocket and the funds to be used for other state development e.g road and security, then i see no reason why this would
CAN U PLS READ THE WHOLE NEWS MANMUSTWAC POSTED FROM THE SAHARA NEWS.
ABOUT THE HIDEN THINGS THEY DID NOT EXPOSE ABOUT IT TO LAGOSIANS,
THE TRUE AMOUNT,
THAT THEY AVE TO STILL SPEND MORE ON THE YATCHT TO MAKE IT MOVE,
THAT IT HAS NO ENGINE OF IT'S OWN
THE SOLE MAN BEHIND THE BUYING DECIDED TO HIDE ON THE DAY THEY PURCHASED IT(GOV.TINUBU)
THAT THE YATCHT IS ALREADY VERY OLD AND THERE IS DOUBT THAT IT CAN STILL WORK FOR MANY YEARS TO RECOVER WAT THEY SPENT ON IT.
THE THINGS AFINKUYOMI DENIED ABOUT THE YATCHT.
THAT EVEN AN AVERAGE NIGERIAN CAN NOT EVEN SLEEP IN IT IT COST 80,000 NAIRA PER NIGHT.
MEN THESE PEOPLE AVE STARTED AGAIN.
TINUBU BUT FIRE EXTINGUISHERS THAT WERE 50 YEARS OUTDATED WITH BILLION OF DOLLARS IN HIS DAYS AND BBC SAID IT THAT IT WAS WORTHLESS SO DID THE EXTINGUISHERS AVAILABLE TO WORK AT THE IJEGUN FIRE CRISIS.
THEY ARE THIEFS AND THEY DECIDE TO BUY TOKUNBO PRODUCT IN ACCLAIMED MILLION OF DOLLARS.
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by lucabrasi(m): 9:41pm On Jul 29, 2008
as much as i admire sahara reports,i think they do more of sensationalism in their reports more than anything really,
of course some people will have pocketed money in the deal but its absurd linking tinubu directly to the deal without any concrete proof,just because he is in london same time as the deal was going down,does that make any sense?

also they are on about the hydraulics and other hidden expenses,lets be honest,the nigerian commissioner,diamond bank representatives and others might be corrupt but they are not illiterates so they know and will have discussed all these salient issues and how it will factor in the contract,thats the purpose of negotiations,and from what i heard of it all the ship will be going for upgrade to the required status of a 5 star floating hotel in europe and onwars to nigeria,to now conclude that the ship is not up to standard and all that isnt stating the facts but conjecture at best.
part of fashola's reforms is tourism with a focus on aquatics e.t.c and thas what he is doing unless we want him to build wooden canoes and join them together in his bid to save money
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by Ibime(m): 9:48pm On Jul 29, 2008
Well according to the Canary Wharf newspaper, the ship is leaving for Nigeria next week, so I don't know what you guys are saying about the ship not having engine etc.

And by the way, they only paid £20m for it.

BTW, Are the Choughary brothers still in Nigeria? I thought OBJ kicked them out. Those guys are crooks. Nigerians must make them pay for the money they stole during Abacha period.
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by lucabrasi(m): 10:09pm On Jul 29, 2008
the ship is going to europe for fittings and getting it to the standard of a 5 star hotel that it s meant for and then getting to nigeria sometime in september,i dont know what the fuss is about,tinubu stole from government and he is investing the same money back,that is if the tinubu connection is to be believed
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by adamsy07: 10:16pm On Jul 29, 2008
@IBIME,
Well according to the Canary Wharf newspaper, the ship is leaving for Nigeria next week, so I don't know what you guys are saying about the ship not having engine etc.

And by the way, they only paid £20m for it.

BTW, Are the Choughary brothers still in Nigeria? I thought OBJ kicked them out. Those guys are crooks. Nigerians must make them pay for the money they stole during Abacha period.

WATEVER THE PAYMENT IS IT,S NOT ABOUT THAT ABOUT THE TRUE STORY OF THINGS GO TO SAHARA NEWS.
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by adamsy07: 10:19pm On Jul 29, 2008
LUCABRISI,
the ship is going to europe for fittings and getting it to the standard of a 5 star hotel that it s meant for and then getting to nigeria sometime in september,i don't know what the fuss is about,tinubu stole from government and he is investing the same money back,that is if the tinubu connection is to be believed
THEY MADE IT KNOWN TO PEOPLE THAT IT'S FROM LAGOS STATE NOT FROM TINUBU'S PURSE ANYWAY 20 MILLION DOLLARS CAN BUILD SOME FACTORIES TO HELP EMPLOYMENT.
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by lucabrasi(m): 10:31pm On Jul 29, 2008
adamsy07:

LUCABRISI,

THEY MADE IT KNOWN TO PEOPLE THAT IT'S FROM LAGOS STATE NOT FROM TINUBU'S PURSE ANYWAY 20 MILLION DOLLARS CAN BUILD SOME FACTORIES TO HELP EMPLOYMENT.
according to the article you posted,it said the commissioner said the purchase is beng funded by diamond bank as a sort of government/private partnership and they now went on to say tinubu is involved,well
1)the bank may not be interested in building factories in lagos but in tourism?
2)the financial commitment that will arise long term in running a factory you built with 20million pounds will be considerably more than running the ship
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by adamsy07: 10:48pm On Jul 29, 2008
@LUCABRISI
according to the article you posted,it said the commissioner said the purchase is beng funded by diamond bank as a sort of government/private partnership and they now went on to say tinubu is involved,well
1)the bank may not be interested in building factories in lagos but in tourism?
2)the financial commitment that will arise long term in running a factory you built with 20million pounds will be considerably more than running the shi
p
WE ALL KNOW THAT IT IS BLABLA IN NIGERIAN WAY OF ARMEDROBBERY BY GOVERMENT AND YOU SHOULD ALSO READ THE OTHER PLACES SOME THJINGS WHERE REVEALED.
THEY WILL HAVE TO BUILD A NEW DECK,EVEN THOU THEY WILL LIE ABOUT IT,AND ALSO THERE ARE SMALL SCALE INDUSTRIES THEY CAN USE THESE KIND OF MONEY TO INVEST IN FOR LAGOSIANS.
THEY ARE HIDING UNDER D NAME TOURISM,WAT ARE U BUYING WHEN UR DECK IS BAD,ROADS ARE BAD,NO ADEQUTE LIGHT AND WATER AND U ARE SHOUTING TOURISM DON'T FORGET NO SECUIRITY FOR FORIENGNERS.
THEY ONLY WANT TO ALLOW THESE WHITE TALK NONSENSE ABOUT NIGERIA,WITH THIS PROGRAM.
WE ALL KNOW IT,SOME OF US LIV ABROAD AND WE KNOW WAT THE EFFECT IS IF A FORIEGNERS IS HARMED IN OUR COUNTRY.
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by landis(m): 7:10am On Jul 30, 2008
Good Idea but wrong place and time.

If UK is rejecting(sold to lagos) this yatch hotel for whatever reason, then it does not make sense for Lagos to buy it.

UK get about 9million tourists every year while Lagos get less than 50,000 tourists.

Nigerians abroad will also not stay here as they have family to stay with, so we are left with Govt people to use the hotel.

Given the state of Nigeria: It would be a rave for 6months after which it falls into mis-use and have they thought about the 'dirty water' of Lagos Lagoon. This boat will not survive 5yrs.

However, I do believe Lagos needs clean and affordable hotel. Hope the new RADDISON can do that.
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by Mustay(m): 12:03pm On Jul 30, 2008
Thursday, July 24, 2008

[url=http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/business/article02//indexn3_html?pdate=240708&ptitle=Mixed%20feelings%20as%20Sunborn%20Yacht%20Hotel%20begins%20final%20journey%20to%20Lagos&cpdate=260708]Mixed feelings as Sunborn Yacht Hotel begins final journey to Lagos
London, England.[/url]

JOY and sadness abound in equal measures, as the pride of London and Great Britain, the Sunborn Yascht Hotel, begins its journey to Lagos.

After months of negotiations between the new owners-- Lagos State Government and the management of the hotel, the ship was formally handed over to the Lagos State government on Tuesday.

For Culture and Tourism Minister, Tokunbo Kayode; Lagos State Commissioner of Tourism Tokunboh Afikuyomi, who brokered the deal; and the Managing Director, Diamond Bank, Emeka Onwuka, whose bank financed the multi-millions naira deal; it was a thing of joy that Sunborn Yacht Hotel - the world's first custom-built Yacht Hotel - in Royal Victoria Dock, near Canary Wharf, which combines contemporary class and comfort, will not only land in Lagos in a few weeks, but will boost tourism and new employment opportunities.

But for the staff of the hotel and Londoners, it was a day of sadness, as many of them will be thrown into the labour market.

As early as 10.00 am on Tuesday morning, any black face seen around Excell and Royal Dutch was percieved to be a Nigerian, who must have come to witness the formal farewell ceremony of the Yacht Hotel to Lagos.

Many of the hotel employees had started looking for jobs while a few others were planning a short holiday as they finally realised that their beloved Yacht Hotel has been exported out of their reach. It was the only one of such hotel in the whole of Great Britain.

But for Afikuyomi, the purchase of the pride of London by Lagos State government shows that Nigerians can do anything if they set their mind to do it.

Said Afikuyomi: "It was a serious challenge but at the end of the day, we achieved what many thought would be impossible. The cost is enormous. Infact, when we started the purchase, the cost of shipping it to Lagos was estimated to be around $1 million, but now with the new price of petroleum, it could cost up to $3 million."

Though owned by the Lagos State government, Afikuyomi doused any fear that the hotel being mismanaged by civil servants, as he revealed that managemant will be totally privatised.

He also revealed that it cost the government virtually nothing to purchase the Yacht, as the funding came from the private sector. He said the Yacht will berth somewhere between Marina and Lagos Boat Club.

Afikuyomi also revealed that logistics have been put in place to ensure adequate security and other infrastructure are provided for the Yacht and it would-be patrons.

The Yacht boast of spacious suites and executive bedrooms, with the majority enjoying balconies, elegant lounges on various decks, first class restaurant and relaxing bar, all conspiring to make a patron's stay a memorable one.

Kayode commended the Lagos State for its bold step in buying the facility, saying that it will not only boost tourism but provide employment for thousands of Nigerians.

The Yahct, which is expected in Lagos by September, will not come cheap. Presently its double bedroom cost 215 pounds, executive room 235 pounds and royal suite 500 pounds.
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by Mustay(m): 12:05pm On Jul 30, 2008
Lagos State government said it has acquired the London-based 105-bedroom Sunborn Yachts Hotel at a cost of 24 million euros (about 4.4 billion naira).

Commissioner for Tourism and Inter-Governmental Relations, Mr. Tokunbo Afikuyomi, said in Lagos on Wednesday that the money spent on the acquisition of the hotel was sourced from a local bank, according to News Agency of Nigeria.

"We defied the odds and won the highly competitive bid to make this history for Lagos by buying the first yacht hotel in Africa and Middle East," he said.

He explained that part of the 4.4 billion naira paid for the boat would be used to upgrade it to the specified standard.

Afikuyomi said that the hotel would be formally inaugurated at the end of August this year.

He said that the presence of the boat in the country, would enhance the chances of Nigeria, hosting major international sports events and conferences.

According to the Commissioner, the state government decided to acquire the hotel to bridge the gap in the number of hotel rooms in the state.

He said that the hotel would also put Lagos in the league of world’s big cities with five-star hotels of global standards.

Afikuyomi said that the hospitality industry was very critical to the resuscitation of the Nigerian economy as it would encourage the influx of foreign tourists.

He cited the experience of South Africa, which he said, recorded increase in its tourism revenue from 47.8 billion rand in 2004 to 55.9 billion rand in 2005, rising by 17 per cent.

Afikuyomi listed Dubai, Kenya and Ghana as some of the countries that are already reaping the benefits of tourism.

He said that the state would continue to initiate Private Public Partnership (PPP) to fund tourism projects as and when necessary.
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by Blatant: 1:25pm On Jul 30, 2008
I'm suprised that Lagos State has a Tourism commissioner when even Nigerians are scared of going on holidays to Lagos because of security concerns and the incidence of NEPA.

What exactly is the brief of Toks Afikuyomi?
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by Mustay(m): 1:27pm On Jul 30, 2008
You may as well be surprised Nigeria has a Minister of Culture and tourism tongue tongue
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by Blatant: 1:33pm On Jul 30, 2008
I was just suprised to read that. i thought Mr Afikuyomi resigned after making millions in the House. I was also shocked to read that Lagos has a tourism commissioner when he will have nothing to do.
No tourist will sensibly chose to go to Lagos when they can easily chose Acrra or even Gambia.

What then does Toks' job entail? does anyone have an email address for him? I'd like to ask him what his brief is
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by landis(m): 1:41pm On Jul 30, 2008
What exactly is the brief of Toks Afikuyomi?

remove dead bodies from the express roads.

clean-up bar beach from the shits that littered the whole place.

remove area boys from lagos island

wipe-out armed robbers.

alas, he is buying a 'hotel-ship' for Lagos

dont we just love Bogus Projects
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by tpia: 6:58pm On Jul 30, 2008
If the ship is meant for cruises and tourism, then what's the big deal here?

Dont people go on cruises abroad? Or is it written somewhere that only foreigners can own cruise ships?

Am even surprised Nigerians waited so late to start this kind of venture. Am also sure the churches will soon follow suit if people notice its successful.
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by madamkoko: 7:25pm On Jul 30, 2008
churches will soon follow suit if people notice its successful.

Definitely, Church WILL follow suit if its sucessful. They're corporations anyways and will need to make more profit in addition, to tithes members already pay.
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by tpia: 8:27pm On Jul 30, 2008
madamkoko:

Definitely, Church WILL follow suit if its sucessful. They're corporations anyways and will need to make more profit in addition, to tithes members already pay.

Some Nigerians abroad go on cruises like nobody's business. The Nigerian Christians/churches arent left out either. Who no sabi good thing?

Even over a decade ago, there were some overseas based Nigerian cultural organizations arranging and booking annual cruises for the members.
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by adamsy07: 9:48pm On Jul 30, 2008
@TPIA,
If the ship is meant for cruises and tourism, then what's the big deal here?

Dont people go on cruises abroad? Or is it written somewhere that only foreigners can own cruise ships?

THAT IS NOT THE POINT THE POINT IS THAT EXPERT SAYS THE SHIP IS AN OLD SHIP AND THAT THEY MIGHT NOT MAKE THE MONEY WHICH THEY USED IN INVESTING IN IT BACK.
IF TOURISM MUST BE A TASK FOR THE STATE THEY SHOULD ATTEND TO THE ROADS FIRST,LIGHT,ENVIROMENTAL SANITATION AND ALL OTHER ISSUES AND DON'T FORGET SECUIRITY.
WITHOUT ALL THESE THINGS IN PLACE THEN IT SHOULD BE KNOWN THAT IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY.
THEN BEGING TO CHECK THE PETROL ISSUE WHICH MAKES THE MOVING OF THE SHIP VERY EXPENSIVE AND ALSO THE CHARGES OF TURNING THE BOAT TO A 5 STAR HOTEL.
TALK ABOUT THE CONDITION OF THE DUCK IT WOULD BE HANGED AND ALSO THE SMELL OF THE LAGOS POLLUTED WATER,WHERE YOU THINK THE TOURIST WILL BE LODGING.
THE TRUTH IS THE IDEA IS GOOD EVEN THOU IT WAS AN AVENUE FOR THEM TO SWALLOW MONEY AGAIN BUT LET THEM DO THE RIGHT THING AT THE RIGHT TIME.
Re: Lagos State Buys An Hotel In Uk. by adamsy07: 9:59pm On Jul 30, 2008
@PUSSY FULL,
poster - they are bringing it to Lagos - what do you mean by waste of money - i have no word for you.
MR.REPLIER,
MAY I ASK WHERE U LIVE ABROAD OR NIGERIA,
IF YOU LIVE IN NIGERIA YOU MIGHT THINK WAT AM SAYING IS STUPID,BUT IF U STAY ABROAD YOU WILL REASON WITH ME.
LET ME ASK YOU SOMETHING,IS THERE STABLE LIGHT FOR TOURIST TO WALK AROUND LAGOS AT ANY TIME THEY WANT?
SECUIRITY,CLEAN ENVIROMENT,PROPER TRANSPORTATION AND OTHER THINGS?
IF THE ANSWER IS NO,THEN BELIVE ME IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY.
REPLIER,
AND IF YOU THINK THAT IT WOULD WORK EVEN IF TOURIST DON;T COME COS OF THE HAZARDNESS AVE MENTIONED THAT MAYBE LAGOSIAN AND CHURCHES WOULD USE IT FOR CRUISE THEN I WOULD BE HAPPY TO TELL YOU THAT THE BOAT COST 350 POUNDS PER NIGHT AND AFTER THE TRANSFORMATION TO A 5 STAR YOU CAN IMAGINE HOW MUCH PER NIGHT IT WOULD COST.
SO MY DEAR FRIEND PLS ACCEPT IT THAT THEY JUST USED IT AS AN AVENUE TO STILL MONEY UNDER FALSE PRETENDS.
LET THEM DO THE RIGHT THING AT THE RIGHT TIME.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fg Terminates N64bn Abuja Runway Contract / Soludo With APGA Membership Card (picture) / AREGBESOLA Caricature

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.