Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,177 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:33 PM

How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. (11679 Views)

Earn Money As A Freelance Writer At 15projects.com / Here’s The Quickest And Easiest Way For You To Succeed Online As A Nigerian / Why Not Make Money Online As You Wait Your Dream Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by Nobody: 4:11pm On Dec 14, 2013
The purpose of this article is to enlighten you on how to make money as a freelancer writer, I’ve gotten several emails from nairalanders, making inquires on how to become a freelance writer and how to make money from their writing skills. This write-up will guide you through the process of becoming a freelance writer. I’d be glad to answer your questions, if there is any.

WHAT DOES A FREELANCE WRITER DO?

Basically, freelance writer writes on various topics, the difference being that, you’re allowed to work for as many clients as possible compared to full time writer; bounded by a signed agreement with their employer. This write-up is targeted at being an online freelance writer.

PREREQUISITES

a. Passion: This is the most important item on the list; you must have a driving force, something that keeps you going, even when the money is not coming in as expected. It’s very important to have the right passion towards whatever it is that you’re doing. I love writing; that’s my passion, that’s the only reason why I choose to be a freelance writer, not because I need the money.

b. Perseverance: You must be ready to stick to what you’re doing, just like any other venture, it’s always frustrating to make a name for yourself, the key to being successful is to keep doing what you have passion for; sooner than later you would hit the jackpot.

c. Writing and Research skills: As a freelance writer, your research skills must be top notch, you must be able to gather facts from different sources, exercise your deductive reasoning ability and come up with a single article that discuss the topic/issue from various perspective, at the same time reaching a satisfactory conclusion.

d. SEO: Search Engine Optimization (SEO), most of your clients are blogger, online marketers, webmasters, SME, e.t.c. Since the main objective of coming online is make their company visible to online visitors, writing for them requires that you understand the way search engines work. You must be able to search for popular search terms and incorporate them into your client’s article.

e. Computer and Internet connection: You need a computer with internet connection.

f. A smartphone: You’re expected to be online for at least 18hours of the day; it’s easy to stay connected using your phone, responding to important emails, and making research on topics, even when you’re outdoor.

g. Sincerity: DON’T EVER LIE TO YOUR CLIENT!!! It’s very important to be sincere with all your clients, don’t take advantage of internet anonymity negatively. Being sincere is the right way to create value for your personality online. It’s the best way to gain their trust and ensure they come back some other time.

h. Payment method: Getting paid after doing your job is the best thing ever, there are limited payment methods available to Nigerians. PayPal is the most popular payment method, I realized that Nigerians are not allowed to operate a PayPal account after my account was blocked when I accessed it from Nigeria; I had to call their customer service desk to verify my identity. I know some Nigerians have their way around the system, but I don’t know how they do it. You can explore other payment method such as; cheque (you would need a dormiciliary account to claim cheque issued in foreign currencies), bank transfer, perfect money e.t.c.

HOW DO I GET HIRED?

Since most of your work would be done online, as you’ll be working for people you would never get to meet offline, the most important thing is good reputation. Once you’re able to achieve that as an online freelancer, the problem of getting hired is completely solved. Initially, it’s very slow but as time goes on; as you gain good reputation, your client base would increase over time and you would be required to hire junior writers in other to meet up with deadlines.

WHERE CAN I GET HIRED?

Fiverr: It’s an online outsourcing platform that allows you to offer a product/service for $5, after task completion, you’re paid $4. Check http://www.fiverr.com for more information.

Elance: Create a writing profile for yourself on http://www.elance.com it’s free!
Freelancer: http://www.freelancer.com You’re expected to take an English proficiency test to prove to your potential customer that you have a good grasp of the language.

Odesk: http://www.odesk.com

LinkedIn: Create a professional profile for yourself on http://www.linkedin.com

Twitter: Create a professional profile for yourself on http://www.twitter.com

Blog: You might want to consider blogging; writing on topics you know about, sharing ideas through your blog, and offering writing services through your blog. It’s a good way to create loyal customer base.

NB: Don’t plagiarize this article, as it is protected by Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), using it elsewhere would result into me taking legal actions against you.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by Nobody: 4:27pm On Dec 14, 2013
Hello,
@NastyDroid
@Benedict44
@Gudsyd
@Abumikey
@Chartey
@$hady¤J....e.t.c.
Please find response to you inquires here. Hopefully you will local search your name and find this.

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by femidejulius(m): 5:06pm On Dec 14, 2013
Hello! This has been most helpful. Thank you for writing this

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by drollster(m): 5:22pm On Dec 14, 2013
Thanks for this info. How do you suggest I start after registering since I don't have any previously published commercial work?

1 Like

Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by Nobody: 7:09pm On Dec 14, 2013
drollster: Thanks for this info. How do you suggest I start after registering since I don't have any previously published commercial work?

Thanks for reading, The best way to start is to create a blog (it's free) for your service(s), then write 6-10 quality articles on different topics, search for popular blogs that fits each topic, then submit your articles to them as a guest post. It's a good starter.
Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by Benedict44(m): 8:00pm On Dec 14, 2013
Tanx 4 d info. Pls is it a must dat i should hav a laptop or computer. Or can phone do it

1 Like

Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by Nobody: 8:23pm On Dec 14, 2013
Benedict44: Tanx 4 d info. Pls is it a must dat i should hav a laptop or computer. Or can phone do it
You're welcome,
No, you can't write with your phone.
Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by Benedict44(m): 8:50pm On Dec 14, 2013
Pls i dont hav a laptop or computer but i want to write. Pls is dear any oda way or help. Even if 4 free i just want to develop d more becos i intend to be a writer in future although dat am a student.
Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by drollster(m): 9:27pm On Dec 14, 2013
Phder:

Thanks for reading, The best way to start is to create a blog (it's free) for your service(s), then write 6-10 quality articles on different topics, search for popular blogs that fits each topic, then submit your articles to them as a guest post. It's a good starter.

Thanks.
Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by Nobody: 1:19am On Dec 15, 2013
Benedict44: Pls i dont hav a laptop or computer but i want to write. Pls is dear any oda way or help. Even if 4 free i just want to develop d more becos i intend to be a writer in future although dat am an engineering student. 200L
Sorry about that, I don't know how I can be of help. Maybe you should consider borrowing a laptop computer from your school ICT unit? Atleast you can get to use it for a semester, excluding the exam week.
Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by Nastydroid(m): 2:38am On Dec 15, 2013
Phder: Hello,
@NastyDroid
@Benedict44
@Gudsyd
@Abumikey
@Chartey
@$hady¤J....e.t.c.
Please find response to you inquires here. Hopefully you will local search your name and find this.
thanks bro,when i saw this topic i just started smiling.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by legalwealth(m): 8:43am On Dec 15, 2013
Great and people can also make do on www.peopleperhour.com and iwriter.com
Aside that,you must be highly equipped with content writing skills and there are different resources for that.

I will try as much as possible to give you all access to a comprehensive course on this to learn more about content/article writing when I come back from church service.
Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by Nobody: 8:57am On Dec 15, 2013
Loving This
Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by legalwealth(m): 9:05am On Dec 15, 2013
Phder: The purpose of this article is to enlighten you on how to make money as a freelancer writer, I’ve gotten several emails from nairalanders, making inquires on how to become a freelance writer and how to make money from their writing skills. This write-up will guide you through the process of becoming a freelance writer. I’d be glad to answer your questions, if there is any.

WHAT DOES A FREELANCE WRITER DO?

Basically, freelance writer writes on various topics, the difference being that, you’re allowed to work for as many clients as possible compared to full time writer; bounded by a signed agreement with their employer. This write-up is targeted at being an online freelance writer.

PREREQUISITES

a. Passion: This is the most important item on the list; you must have a driving force, something that keeps you going, even when the money is not coming in as expected. It’s very important to have the right passion towards whatever it is that you’re doing. I love writing; that’s my passion, that’s the only reason why I choose to be a freelance writer, not because I need the money.

b. Perseverance: You must be ready to stick to what you’re doing, just like any other venture, it’s always frustrating to make a name for yourself, the key to being successful is to keep doing what you have passion for; sooner than later you would hit the jackpot.

c. Writing and Research skills: As a freelance writer, your research skills must be top notch, you must be able to gather facts from different sources, exercise your deductive reasoning ability and come up with a single article that discuss the topic/issue from various perspective, at the same time reaching a satisfactory conclusion.

d. SEO: Search Engine Optimization (SEO), most of your clients are blogger, online marketers, webmasters, SME, e.t.c. Since the main objective of coming online is make their company visible to online visitors, writing for them requires that you understand the way search engines work. You must be able to search for popular search terms and incorporate them into your client’s article.

e. Computer and Internet connection: You need a computer with internet connection.

f. A smartphone: You’re expected to be online for at least 18hours of the day; it’s easy to stay connected using your phone, responding to important emails, and making research on topics, even when you’re outdoor.

g. Sincerity: DON’T EVER LIE TO YOUR CLIENT!!! It’s very important to be sincere with all your clients, don’t take advantage of internet anonymity negatively. Being sincere is the right way to create value for your personality online. It’s the best way to gain their trust and ensure they come back some other time.

h. Payment method: Getting paid after doing your job is the best thing ever, there are limited payment methods available to Nigerians. PayPal is the most popular payment method, I realized that Nigerians are not allowed to operate a PayPal account after my account was blocked when I accessed it from Nigeria; I had to call their customer service desk to verify my identity. I know some Nigerians have their way around the system, but I don’t know how they do it. You can explore other payment method such as; cheque (you would need a dormiciliary account to claim cheque issued in foreign currencies), bank transfer, perfect money e.t.c.

HOW DO I GET HIRED?

Since most of your work would be done online, as you’ll be working for people you would never get to meet offline, the most important thing is good reputation. Once you’re able to achieve that as an online freelancer, the problem of getting hired is completely solved. Initially, it’s very slow but as time goes on; as you gain good reputation, your client base would increase over time and you would be required to hire junior writers in other to meet up with deadlines.

WHERE CAN I GET HIRED?

Fiverr: It’s an online outsourcing platform that allows you to offer a product/service for $5, after task completion, you’re paid $4. Check http://www.fiverr.com for more information.

Elance: Create a writing profile for yourself on http://www.elance.com it’s free!
Freelancer: http://www.freelancer.com You’re expected to take an English proficiency test to prove to your potential customer that you have a good grasp of the language.

Odesk: http://www.odesk.com

LinkedIn: Create a professional profile for yourself on http://www.linkedin.com

Twitter: Create a professional profile for yourself on http://www.twitter.com

Blog: You might want to consider blogging; writing on topics you know about, sharing ideas through your blog, and offering writing services through your blog. It’s a good way to create loyal customer base.

NB: Don’t plagiarize this article, as it is protected by Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), using it elsewhere would result into me taking legal actions against you.

OP!You are right.

Concerning the payment method especially PayPal which has been giving most Nigerians headache is so easy to operate following some simple guides along with some tools that we have in stock.

Aside that,we do help some Nigerians to collect their PayPal payment from those merchants be it fiverr,mylikes,peopleperhour,freelancer,iwriter,odesk and many more with our super-active PayPal while we pay naira into their Nigerian bank account at N150/$ for those that do love to use ours.
Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by Nobody: 9:13am On Dec 15, 2013
Just what I needed!
Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by Kelvin0(m): 9:22am On Dec 15, 2013
Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by Nobody: 9:33am On Dec 15, 2013
great!
Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by Nobody: 9:36am On Dec 15, 2013
Benedict44: Pls i dont hav a laptop or computer but i want to write. Pls is dear any oda way or help. Even if 4 free i just want to develop d more becos i intend to be a writer in future although dat am an engineering student. 200L

My young friend, writing is not for everyone. Your post clearly indicates that you should focus more on the technical skills you might acquire as an engineering student, and apply those skills in a suitable profession in the future. You can always hire a competent writer when you need one as a successful engineer.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by topestmodel(m): 9:40am On Dec 15, 2013
*Runs to repair laptop* Oya,whr do i start from?

1 Like

Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by emilyw3m: 9:42am On Dec 15, 2013
#reading
Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by Sylvarresta(m): 9:43am On Dec 15, 2013
Well dis is gud, buh I neva finish my Engineering Mathematics, hw I go stay online 4 18hrs...... Abeg give me anoda charm

1 Like

Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by amiskurie(m): 9:48am On Dec 15, 2013
if anyone is interested in writing for www.abocww.com kindly contact me

note: its what we do for as a passion.this is not a paying job.
Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by PrinceIkye: 9:51am On Dec 15, 2013
Thanks Op for creating this thread.. de few questions i have for u r, what r de procedures involve in creating a blog? How does one negotiate the price to be paid when writing the article? How do we know the words that have high search result to include in our article? Who will pay for the article and how will the transaction be done. Thanks for ur respond in advance.
Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by Jeel: 10:00am On Dec 15, 2013
Can you write for us?
Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by Nobody: 10:04am On Dec 15, 2013
Op how much have you made? undecided
Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by Nobody: 10:17am On Dec 15, 2013
If I. Hear....don't have Mb to waste...
Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by Nobody: 10:24am On Dec 15, 2013
Following
Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by infoman007(m): 10:49am On Dec 15, 2013
Hello! This has been most helpful. Thank you for writing this,but how can one collect his money here especially with paypal
Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by Nobody: 10:57am On Dec 15, 2013
An established researcher of international repute. Join me @ wikinut
Re: How To Make Money Online As A Freelance Writer. by PNN: 10:59am On Dec 15, 2013
I need writers for www.proudlynigerian.net its a blog about the best of Nigeria

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

IFFCO Group Fresh Job Recruitment May 2018 (6 Positions) / Which Would You Advise Going For: A 130k Job In Ibadan Or A 200k Job In Lagos? / How To Apply For Recent Job Vacancies At Stanbic IBTC Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.