Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,013 members, 7,838,543 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! (2023 Views)

Buhari, Obama, Ban Ki-Moon At UN General Meeting (Photos) / Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan / Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by Nobody: 4:11pm On Dec 14, 2013
First soft landing since 1976 puts China alongside US and former Soviet Union in accomplishing such a feat

A Chinese spacecraft has landed on the moon in the first "soft landing" since 1976.

The event, broadcast live on Chinese TV, means the country has joined the United States and the former Soviet Union in managing to accomplish such a feat.

The Chang'e 3, a probe named after a lunar goddess in traditional Chinese mythology, is carrying the solar-powered Yutu, or Jade Rabbit rover, which will dig and conduct geological surveys. The mission is expected to last three months.

In China's most recent manned space mission in June, three astronauts spent 15 days in orbit and docked with an experimental space laboratory, part of Beijing's quest to build a working space station by 2020.
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/dec/14/chinese-spacecraft-lands-moon-china

1 Like

Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by Nobody: 4:13pm On Dec 14, 2013
China is about to dominate the moon. Iran also just sent another monkey into the orbit and returned it back to earth. Yet Africa is ravaged with poverty, corruption, hunger and pseudo-intellectuals.

Darn!! The black race is doomed! angry
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by Nobody: 4:17pm On Dec 14, 2013
shymexx: China is about to dominate the moon. Iran also just sent another monkey into the orbit and returned it back to earth. Yet Africa is ravaged with poverty, corruption, hunger and pseudo-intellectuals.

Africans are only fascinated by toys. Armoured BMW's, presidential fleet bigger than most airlines.
Education? Not that important.

3 Likes

Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by Nobody: 4:32pm On Dec 14, 2013
Aigbofa:

Africans are only fascinated by toys. Armoured BMW's, presidential fleet bigger than most airlines.
Education? Not that important.

Is it just education or Africans are just superficial and innately stupid?

Add low self-esteem and inferiority complex to the equation.
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by originalking1(m): 4:33pm On Dec 14, 2013
Nigeria no d carry last cos we hav been going over d moon since. Even some of us was concieved during d moon stay. Be rest assured dat u will get over d moon somday.
#Teamhoneymoon#
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by tsleazy(m): 5:02pm On Dec 14, 2013
hows that possible with their "made in china space craft "
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by Nobody: 5:12pm On Dec 14, 2013
shymexx: China is about to dominate the moon. Iran also just sent another monkey into the orbit and returned it back to earth. Yet Africa is ravaged with poverty, corruption, hunger and pseudo-intellectuals

The black race is badly in need of a reality check.

Here is an excerpt from an article which featured on NL back in 2008.

As I glanced through the jottings, that particular word “You people over-celebrate, but underachieve” sent me on a reflection. The Chinese might have interpreted Nigeria from a narrow prism, but there was some home truth in his conclusion. He was probably talking about 15 years ago, but what has really changed since then from our attitude to life, conduct and way of life. Don’t we really over celebrate and underachieve?

I believe it is one honest truth we must face. You only need to take a look at Nigerian newspapers daily to see an avalanche of birthday, burial, chieftaincy or Iwuye ceremonies, awards both genuine and fake, notices of celebrations. When you see some of them particularly the awards or honourary degree conferments, you wonder on what basis?; particularly for some people who had helped to plunder the country.
-- Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by Nobody: 5:15pm On Dec 14, 2013
And most of the raw materials that are used to build those things are from Africa....
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by Nobody: 5:36pm On Dec 14, 2013
eGuerrilla:
The black race is badly in need of a reality check.

Here is an excerpt from an article which featured on NL back in 2008.

-- Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve

That sums it up...with the religious Stockholm syndrome that's the bane of Africa/Africans. Always praying for miracles without actually getting up to get dirty and work hard. I believe we're the laziest race on this planet. We honestly have no excuse whatsoever anymore. The opium epidemic in China was just as devastating as what colonisation did to Africa. However, the Chinese have moved on from that - to greatness. And to even think that almost everything that metamorphosed into modern-day science and astronomy started on the same dark continent, just makes the whole thing more painful.

Last week, I saw the average ranking of students from all countries in science and mathematics in one of the UK dailies (it should be either Daily Express, Sun or Mirror - can't remember) - and Asian countries dominated the top-10 in both categories. I was shocked to see Poland ranked far higher than the UK. However, no African country made the top 30. I believe the best African country would probably be at the bottom, with the rest leading from behind. That's how messed up we're as a people. While others are advancing and planning for the future, we're busy celebrating owanbe-ism and building Churches everywhere to rip other gullible African sheeple off. Very sad!
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by Nobody: 5:48pm On Dec 14, 2013
shymexx:

That sums it up...with the religious Stockholm syndrome that's the bane of Africa/Africans. Always praying for miracles without actually getting up to get dirty and work hard. I believe we're the laziest race on this planet. We honestly have no excuse whatsoever anymore. The opium epidemic in China was just as devastating as what colonisation did to Africa. However, the Chinese have moved on from that - to greatness. And to even think that almost everything that metamorphosed into modern-day science and astronomy started on the same dark continent, just makes the whole thing more painful.

Last week, I saw the average ranking of students from all countries in science and mathematics in one of the UK dailies (it should be either Daily Express, Sun or Mirror - can't remember) - and Asian countries dominated the top-10 in both categories. I was shocked to see Poland ranked far higher than the UK. However, no African country made the top 30. I believe the best African country would probably be at the bottom, with the rest leading from behind. That's how messed up we're as a people. While others are advancing and planning for the future, we're busy celebrating owanbe-ism and building Churches everywhere to rip other gullible African sheeple off. Very sad!

Word!

You know, sometimes when I "ground" with the brethren (to borrow a descriptor from Walter Rodney), I posit that the strange-hold religiosity currently has on the African mind is doing more damage now than at any point in our history over the last 400 years. Although the proof of this terminal decline on our collective psyche is evident everywhere you look, we'd sooner deny its existence and point to ephemeral trappings of prosperity - where available - to console ourselves. Simply sad. cry
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by Smuthx(m): 5:57pm On Dec 14, 2013
This thread should be moved to foreign section. A Nigerian/ Africa bashing tread. Discuss on China's achievements and importance to the wider world not on Nigerian/Africa
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by Nobody: 6:12pm On Dec 14, 2013
Vote GEJ 2015 cos he wil take us to the sun.
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by Nobody: 6:17pm On Dec 14, 2013
Smuthx: This thread should be moved to foreign section. A Nigerian/ Africa bashing tread. Discuss on China's achievements and importance to the wider world not on Nigerian/Africa

Importance to the world or importance to China? Thank God we are no longer in the age where nations and races forcefully enslave each other, African will be easily conquered today as they were 500 years ago.
If they are doing it for the world, the Americans and the Russians already did. Why are the Chinese doing it again?
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by MrKnowitall: 6:30pm On Dec 14, 2013
China has arrived? Arrived where to the 1950s? The first unmanned mission to land on the moon was done by the Soviet union in 1959. The first manned mission to land on the moon was done by the United States In 1969. China is more than 50 years behind and you are saying they have arrived? Don't be silly. The United states left the moon 40 years ago and are now on Mars and planning how to put a man on Mars. China is still very much a developing country the vast majority of it's citizens live well below poverty line.
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by Nobody: 6:53pm On Dec 14, 2013
[quote author=shymexx][/quote]
this is raw!
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by Nobody: 6:56pm On Dec 14, 2013
@MrDumbItAll

^^^Plonker, quoting you would stain my handle because your stupidity is contagious. Can you see the league of three? -where is your country on the list? Can you lot even build a bike? Your country is stuck in the stone age, yet you can talk down on other people's achievements, you irredeemable psychotic git.

MrDumbItAll the crude lout! undecided
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by MrKnowitall: 7:02pm On Dec 14, 2013
shymexx: @MrDumbItAll

^^^Plonker, quoting you would stain my handle because your stupidity is contagious. Can you see the league of three? -where is your country on the list? Can you lot even build a bike? Your country is stuck in the stone age, yet you can talk down on other people's achievements, you irredeemable psychotic git.

MrDumbItAll the crude lout! undecided

People with very little intelligent have to resort to insults when having an argument. Relax my friend and try and educate

yourself a little more.
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by Horus(m): 7:05pm On Dec 14, 2013
Mr Knowitall: China as arrived? Arrived where to the 1950's? The first unmanned mission to land on the moon was done by the Soviet union in 1959. The first manned mission to land on the moon was done by the United States In 1969. China is more than 50 years behind and you are saying they have arrived? Don't be silly. The United states left the moon 40 years ago and are now on Mars and planning how to put a man on Mars. China is still very much a developing country the vast majority of it's citizens live well below poverty line.

And where is your country?
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by Nobody: 7:06pm On Dec 14, 2013
eGuerrilla:
Word!

You know, sometimes when I "ground" with the brethren (to borrow a descriptor from Walter Rodney), I posit that the strange-hold religiosity currently has on the African mind is doing more damage now than at any point in our history over the last 400 years. Although the proof of this terminal decline on our collective psyche is evident everywhere you look, we'd sooner deny its existence and point to ephemeral trappings of prosperity - where available - to console ourselves. Simply sad. cry

And the pseudo-prosperity we judge based on superficial materialism is our biggest problem. It seems our thought process defies logic. I guess that's why others throw the superficial materialism bait at us - and take the real prosperity in return. I'd wager that we were better 400 years ago than we're today, if we analyse our achievement back then critically in comparison with the rest of the world - and juxtaposition it against where we're today in comparison with the rest of the world. At least we built things that could compete with our contemporaries back then. However, today, we're a consuming race of people - and we can't even build the simplest things to save our lives. Everything we do is a terrible bad copy from somewhere else - including how we govern ourselves.
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by Nobody: 7:07pm On Dec 14, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

People with very little intelligent have to result to insults when have an argument. Relax my friend and try and educate

yourself a little more.

Fam, shut the fvck up and go fvck yourself.
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by MrKnowitall: 7:10pm On Dec 14, 2013
Horus:

And where is your country?

my country i a great county my friend.
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by MrKnowitall: 7:11pm On Dec 14, 2013
shymexx:

Fam, shut the fvck up and go fvck yourself.

relax my friend.
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by juman(m): 7:50pm On Dec 14, 2013
One nigeria cannot do that.
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by osystein(m): 8:13pm On Dec 14, 2013
Nigeria has two satellites in orbit, and will be launching a third very soon, the third one is locally built.

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by Horus(m): 9:19pm On Dec 14, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPBLFvQfpgw

China's Lunar Rover lands on Moon
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by Peinstein: 9:25pm On Dec 14, 2013
osystein: Nigeria has two satellites in orbit, and will be launching a third very soon, the third one is locally built.

Locally built? Really! Can you give us more information on where in Nigeria it is being built
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by osystein(m): 9:44pm On Dec 14, 2013
^^^^

It's Not Just Spam Scams And Petro-Terrorists; The West African Nation Also Has A Viable Space Program Aimed At Improving Lives

The historic Aug. 23, 1963, call between two inspirational leaders whose lives ended at the hands of assassins heralded the beginning of a new telecommunications era. But it also marked Nigeria’s first taste of “the peaceful use of space,” as Kennedy termed it during the two-minute conversation.

Today Nigeria has a growing space program of its own, with five satellites orbiting the globe. The devices have a range of purposes, and though there is ongoing controversy surrounding the high cost of funding their manufacture and launch, the program’s supporters cite benefits in areas as diverse as politics, natural disasters and business.

The agency’s vast campus in Nigeria’s capital is a physical testament to the many millions of dollars its federal government has poured into the program. For an idea of the scale of the program, NASRDA spent $13 million on its first satellite, Nigeria Sat-1, which was manufactured at Surrey Space Technologies in the U.K. and launched from a spaceport in Russia. Nig Sat-1 has been a resounding success, and it is still in use 10 years after it left the ground.

NASRDA has made significant strides since that first successful launch, and Ale says the agency is on track to meet its goal to design, build and launch a satellite of its own from a Nigerian launch site by 2020. That will mark many milestones, including the launch of a rocket that's neither a mortar nor an RPG from a Western African nation.

Unlike last century’s space race between the U.S. and the Soviet Union, which was as much about establishing supremacy in the final frontier as it was about providing real benefits to citizens, Nigeria’s space program is aimed squarely at improving people’s lives.

“The focus of our space program is on the socio-economic development of the country,” Ale told IBTimes in his airy office at the Abuja campus. “The best way to fast-track development in any part of the world today is through the application of space science and technology, and that informed the decision of the federal government of Nigeria to come up with the space program.

The agency, created in 1995, has six “centers of excellence” throughout Nigeria, which provide vital support to the Abuja headquarters. The Abuja campus is still where most of the real work on the country’s space program is done, and it is a strange sight to behold in a country better known for its urban slums and rural villages than for its aerospace adventures.

Spread over dozens of flat acres and about a 20-minute drive from central Abuja, the NASRDA campus greets visitors with a large cement gateway emblazoned with the name and symbol of the agency. It’s an imposing structure that guards the long driveway leading to the futuristic structures that comprise the agency’s nerve center.

The main NASRDA building looks like an architectural interpretation of an interstellar spacecraft, with tall, slanted concrete booms laid across a blue glass pyramid that evokes a space-age greenhouse. In the foyer, display models of satellites and rockets are bathed in a bluish light as the hot African sun pours in through tinted windows. The satellites are actual-size replicas of the ones on which Nigeria has spent millions of dollars to make a reality, and they are surprisingly diminutive considering their extensive capabilities.

The ground communications hub, a massive off-white stucco box topped with one of the programs’ many satellite dishes, is a few minutes’ walk from the main edifice, and it's where the bulk of NASRDA’s communications with its satellites begin.

A number of administrative and engineering buildings are strewn haphazardly across the rest of the grassy campus, and Ale mentioned that America’s NASA space agency has lent the program further legitimacy by installing its only observatory equipment based in Africa at the agency’s outpost in Toro, Nigeria.

Though NASRDA is a hive of ground-based activity, its most vital work takes place via five satellites orbiting thousands of miles above the Earth.

read more

http://www.ibtimes.com/nigeria-its-not-just-spam-scams-petro-terrorists-west-african-nation-also-has-viable-space-program

1 Like

Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by osystein(m): 9:52pm On Dec 14, 2013
Nigeria launches first satellite built by Africans

Emeka Johnkingsley
19/08/11
[ABUJA] Nigeria successfully launched NigeriaSat-X, the first satellite to be designed and built by Africans, into orbit this week (17 August).
NigeriaSat-X was launched along with another small satellite, NigeriaSat-2, from Yasny in southern Russia.

continue reading....

http://scidev.net/global/earth-science/news/nigeria-launches-first-satellite-built-by-africans.html

1 Like

Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by osystein(m): 9:55pm On Dec 14, 2013
Nigeria’s CSTD Center to Build New
Satellite by 2018

The Nigerian Center for Satellite Technology Development (CSTD) is launching an initiative to train Nigerian engineers to design, test and build a satellite by 2018,
CSTD Director Spencer Onuh confirmed Jan. 4.
Onuh said the center would work towards building a human capacity that would enable the country to meet the target build date. “Capacity building was a core module in the manufacture and launch of NigeriaSat-1, NigeriaSat-2, NigeriaSat-X and NigComSat-1-R, which are owned by Nigeria,” said Onuh.
Overall, the CSTD center has trained more than 50 Nigerian scientists, who were involved in the design, testing and launch of NigcomSat-1 and its replacement. The center trained 15 scientists for the NigeriaSat-1 program and 27 engineers for the NigeriaSat-2 and NigeriaSat-X programs.

http://satellitetoday.com/telecom/2013/01/04/nigerias-cstd-center-to-build-new-satellite-by-2018/
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by Peinstein: 10:55pm On Dec 14, 2013
Thanks for the info Osystein. We still have a long way though
Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by fr3do(m): 11:05pm On Dec 14, 2013
And how does cursing the black race change anything positively?
Save your emotional energies

1 Like

Re: Chinese Spacecraft Lands On Moon - China Has Arrived! by DerideGull(m): 11:29pm On Dec 14, 2013
A country such as Nigeria that has people with no brains, no ordinary roads, can not supply electricity for 24 hours, imports any form of steel, does not fabricate, can not assemble, no clean drinking water, no good educational system, lacks trust among themselves and can not feed itself is not a player in space exploration. Nigeria should focus on humanly endeavors for now. Nigerians have been unable to understand that the “One-Nigeria” crap is a show stopper.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News!!! US Gov Re-admits Nigeria Back Into The Diversity Visa Lottery / Who Blinded Prof. Ambrose Ali And Ayo Ojewumi? / A Thief Will Not Be Our Governor —amaechi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.