Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan (14362 Views)

Diezani’s 14yr-old ONLY Son Asks: Is My Mum Going To Die? As Husband Breaks Down / Gunmen Kill Eight Traders In Enugu Market / PHCN High Tension Wire Killed A Man In Aguda Just Yesterday (a Pedestrian) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jun 25, 2012
Eight persons have died in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital after a distribution cable belonging to Power Holding Company of Nigeria snapped and landed on traders at the Apata Market.
The busy market is located in Ibadan South-West Local Government Area.
The cable snapped and fell on some vegetable sellers at the Agbekoja section of the popular market around 7a.m on Monday.
Among the victims is a pregnant woman simply identified as Tawa, said to be the only child of her mother.
Another female casualty was a nursing mother who was electrocuted while her one-year-old son survived.
The spokesperson for the state police command, Mrs. Olabisi Ilobanafor, confirmed the incident, saying only five people died while the survivors were rushed to the hospital for treatment.
http://www.punchng.com/news/eight-die-as-high-tension-cable-lands-on-traders-in-ibadan/
Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jun 25, 2012
Tragedy!! May there soul RIP
Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by Arosa(m): 6:45pm On Jun 25, 2012
Why would a sane person trade under a high tension cable line? RIP. angry

3 Likes

Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by Pataki: 6:54pm On Jun 25, 2012
In a sane environment, PHCN would be sued and fined heavily.

Unfortunately, the only thing Nigerians know how to do is to say: RIP, omase oh, etc.

Only in an insane country.

3 Likes

Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by Adedayo516(m): 7:00pm On Jun 25, 2012
Pataki: In a sane environment, PHCN would be sued and fined heavily.

Unfortunately, the only thing Nigerians know how to do is to say: RIP, omase oh, etc.

Fined for what?!...these people have no value for their lives...why trade under a high tension wire?!

Rip

4 Likes

Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by Obijulius: 7:02pm On Jun 25, 2012
Wait for it:::the blame Goodluck/PDP/Govt guys are just getting on board... grin grin

1 Like

Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by ballabriggs: 7:03pm On Jun 25, 2012
No thanks to a useless leadership, health and safety is not a priority.

2 Likes

Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by 2good(m): 7:04pm On Jun 25, 2012

You cannot sue PHCN. It is illegal to have any structure below a high tension wire. The market women already committed a crime trading under live current so how do you sue PHCN for such? In Lagos houses are build indiscriminably under high tension wire and the occupant of such houses knows the consequence of their action yet they hope nothing bad will happen either in Jesus name or Insha Allah. I am not trying to exonerate PHCN but for this very case, you cannot sue PHCN.

6 Likes

Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by Jungleprince1(m): 7:04pm On Jun 25, 2012
R I P
Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by ozoebuka1(m): 7:07pm On Jun 25, 2012
Arosa: Why would a sane person trade under a high tension cable line? RIP. angry
damn you man, how could u say that? would u give them money for shops, huh? because u live fine dont think that others live the same way!! requiscant in pace for the dead souls.

4 Likes

Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by primzi: 7:07pm On Jun 25, 2012
Really its very unfortunate. Poverty mentality and disregard for anything short of money has robbed the populace of their ability to think straight.
Its tragic honestly.
I was at the Aleshinloye market (very big and popular market where even elites shop and own shops) and was dumbfounded when i saw that high tension cables were right above the market, yet many thousands of people own shops there and transact business daily, i really think the government should be sued for approving a market in a place like that.

1 Like

Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by Skywalker5(m): 7:08pm On Jun 25, 2012
2good:

You cannot sue PHCN. It is illegal to have any structure below a high tension wire. The market women already committed a crime trading under live current so how do you sue PHCN for such? In Lagos houses are build indiscriminably under high tension wire and the occupant of such houses knows the consequence of their action yet they hope nothing bad will happen either in Jesus name or Insha Allah. I am not trying to exonerate PHCN but for this very case, you cannot sue PHCN.

Its PHCN responsibility to ensure such places was never used for business activities in the first place. It was their job to either fine or arrest people who use such places.

Well PHCN cant be fined with all the stupid cables they have kept all over the country. they will be bankrupt if such policies hold.
Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by willyfiyin: 7:09pm On Jun 25, 2012
RIP.
Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by Zil1(m): 7:11pm On Jun 25, 2012

Its that same insanity that made people go under the high tension to sell.. Dividends of corruption.
Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by ozoebuka1(m): 7:14pm On Jun 25, 2012
p. rimzi:
Really its very unfortunate. Poverty mentality and disregard for anything short of money has robbed the populace of their ability to think straight.
Its tragic honestly.
I was at the Aleshinloye market (very big and popular market where even elites shop and own shops) and was dumbfounded when i saw that high tension cables were right above the market, yet many thousands of people own shops there and transact business daily, i really think the government should be sued for approving a market in a place like that.
please dont even go there, because nothing good will come out of that. they will just use the opportunity to steal more money and the lawyers will continue adjorning the hearing until u even forget about da case! i trust naija government and lawyers and i know what they are capable of, believe me.
Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by 2good(m): 7:14pm On Jun 25, 2012
Sky-walker:

Its PHCN responsibility to ensure such places was never used for business activities in the first place. It was their job to either fine or arrest people who use such places.

Well PHCN cant be fined with all the stupid cables they have kept all over the country. they will be bankrupt if such policies hold.
First, it is not PHCN's responsibility to prevent people from selling under high tension wire as there are other government agencies like Kick Against Indiscipline(KAI) etc. responsible for that.

You speak like you are not in Nigeria where government agency like KAI regularly arrest these people, seize their goods and immediately the KAI official leave, people come back. Infact the KAI officials are insulted and labelled wicked for seizing the goods of these people. What else do you want government to do?

2 Likes

Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jun 25, 2012
Fucking sue PHCN's arses off. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: high tension wires have got no business in a populated area. They should be underground. As should any electric wire.
On another note, do you know that just a glass of water can power Lagos for 1 year? https://www.nairaland.com/973294/theres-enough-energy-glass-water
Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by bisi16(m): 7:17pm On Jun 25, 2012
ballabriggs: No thanks to a useless leadership, health and safety is not a priority.
Sadly, Nigerians dnt value those kinda things..
Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by PRESERVER(m): 7:19pm On Jun 25, 2012
May their soul rest in perfect peace.
Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by medotorres(m): 7:21pm On Jun 25, 2012
nawa for phcn oh ,light no they dey d little one way dem bring na kill in kill person abeg make inner tell federal government say we no need der light again ohh i better pass my neibour don full every where now,well sha the affected people may der soul rest in peace sha, see dat woman wey get belle just imagine and dat one way dey nurse dat small child just die like dat sha, so people at least dat one go make us know say to dey stay under high cable no good oh,phcn pls no bring light again oh make una no kon dey use dat one as another means of electrocute haram.
Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by PRESERVER(m): 7:21pm On Jun 25, 2012
Have mercy oh God....
Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by DisGuy: 7:27pm On Jun 25, 2012
2good:
First, it is not PHCN's responsibility to prevent people from selling under high tension wire as there are other government agencies like Kick Against Indiscipline(KAI) etc. responsible for that.

You speak like you are not in Nigeria where government agency like KAI regularly arrest these people, seize their goods and immediately the KAI official leave, people come back. Infact the KAI officials are insulted and labelled wicked for seizing the goods of these people. What else do you want government to do?

it's PCHN responsibility to ensure their cables/sites are cordoned off so people cant trade under them! juts like train companies would get the blame for not blocking off acess to their train tracks, you build things with safety in mind not the other way round expecting people not to go there
Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by armyofone(m): 7:32pm On Jun 25, 2012
oh! what a tragedy!!
it is time traders are made to sell their stuff in a store/plaza/ etc

everywhere in Ibadan is a market place. what a long stretch of markets from dugbe/sango/ui/ etc
Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by armyofone(m): 7:34pm On Jun 25, 2012

umm se oju e ni yi?

Pataki, longest of time.

sisi don seize you ni.
Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by Arosa(m): 7:36pm On Jun 25, 2012
I'am very sure that after this incident other traders will take the place of the dead traders under the high tension cables hoping that God will save them from another calamity. angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by oye1212(m): 7:38pm On Jun 25, 2012
Oh my God phcn don't turn to BH in south west, BH using bomb while phcn using power
Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jun 25, 2012
Its illegal to build under high tension cable, RIP souls, afterlife is fun.
Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by mallorca(m): 7:48pm On Jun 25, 2012
may thier soul rest in perfect peace
Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by Afam4eva(m): 7:50pm On Jun 25, 2012
What doesn't kill in this county. Bokoharam go kill, plane go kill, cable sef go kill. Wetin come remain? Very soon people will start dying from goat bites.

3 Likes

Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by moremi2008(m): 7:54pm On Jun 25, 2012
Chaos rains in dysfunctional countries! So much unnecessary tragedy everywhere!
Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by DuduNegro: 7:56pm On Jun 25, 2012
May their souls rest in peace, Amen.

Power companies, railroad companies, oil companies, telecommunication companies, gas companies and other such utility companies and so on. . . usually have an easement area called "right of way". The utility is expected to post notice in its right of way to advise of property rights, danger and hazards around installations and to warn people to stay off the vicinity or immediate environs of such installations. Part of this notice will include notice to trespassers with warning of legal action and liabilities.

Can anyone confirm that a post similar to this exist where this incident occurred? If no post exist, the electrical company is guilty of endangerement to the public and can be sued to recover damages and penalties, even in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Eight Die As High Tension Cable Lands On Traders In Ibadan by newmaonza: 8:04pm On Jun 25, 2012
As tragidies like dis befall d poor, we have Plane crash for the rich folks. . . We NIGERIANS should stop pointing fingers and solve our problems. . . E fit be u tomorrow

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dangote Vies With China Over Tomato Market / Sagay On Magu's Trial: PDP Is Rejoicing Because Their Tormentor Is Out Of Office / We Will Use Pension Funds For Infrastructure - FG..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.