Stats: 3,153,243 members, 7,818,831 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:13 AM

Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad (17586 Views)

Info For All Those Who Want To Travel To Vietnam To Buy Clothes/shoes Etc / Easiest Way To Travel Abroad / Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad (2) (3) (4)

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by sammy329(m): 3:55pm On Dec 15, 2013
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Nobody: 4:01pm On Dec 15, 2013
Are the pastures still greener over there ?
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by amiskurie(m): 4:01pm On Dec 15, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
I want to sell this space to travel to another thread.

Anyone interested to buy, contact me.
u fall.my hand sha...
can't u just teleport as a pagan9ja?
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by MrKnowitall: 4:05pm On Dec 15, 2013
ogakpatakpata: @knowitall.............always on point with your analysis.............did you major in accounting/business management?

My friend how things on your side? Am a business admin/Global business major.
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by 617aircav: 4:10pm On Dec 15, 2013
Pipsland78: Those who keep abusing and insulting Nigerians who travel abroad in pursuit of better life should just shut it. I've discovered that most of these critics hold such views only because they do not yet have the opportunity to travel.

It's much better in the developed world cos everything works and order rules. And if you are not the lazy type you will not suffer. In Nigeria, hardwork does not guarantee success like it does in the developed world.

Good points. Abroad is not for everyone. If you are doing well in nigeria, stay there. I go to nigeria a lot and I cant stand the attitude there. Just look at the airport in lagos. That tells you about nigeria right there. If water can leak from the ceiling at the international airport, what expectations does anyone have for that country.

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Nobody: 4:11pm On Dec 15, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

My friend how things on your side? Am a business admin/Global business major.

l am fine dude and doing absolutely fantastic, l guessed right, do have a wonderful day. Cheers.
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Greatihex(m): 4:22pm On Dec 15, 2013
Diamonddamsel: Its a gamble.Many are impressed by beautiful pictures of people wearing coats in the snow and want the same for themselves.Every soceity has its own challenges.If you are not a hardworking and focused person no matter where u move,it will not make a difference.Personally i love Nigeria im ok going for holidays abroad but i cant imagine living permanently.
. I love this.
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by femo86(m): 4:29pm On Dec 15, 2013
omibia: And why should someone who gets the chance not travel when a principal of a secondary school earns as low as N70, 000/month making him earn N840, 000(5, 250USD) in a year while a teacher who just got employed in September in a high school here in the US earns $50, 000 a year?
I believe the quality of life you wanna live depends on you. As for me, I am not regretting coming here.

Aiye e a dara, o ma da fun e (Meaning your life go better, it is well with you)

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by ayd91(m): 4:40pm On Dec 15, 2013
All this pessimistic comments about Nigeria and how all staying here are doomed to fail really got me depressed.
What right do you have to destroy the little faith and confidence others have in the country.
I know you believe no good can come out of Nigeria but the country made you didn't it?
I don't have the means to travel out, nor property to sell to do so. My plan is to make the best of what is around me and succeed.
If anyone has the means to leave Nigeria for better opportunities, fine do so. You aren't accountable to anyone's opinions and your kids won't have much interest in listening to why you didn't succeed. So do what you have to do.
I still believe Nigeria will get better, when we stop believing, we can be rest assured the end has come.

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by hrhobi1(m): 4:49pm On Dec 15, 2013
justwise:

You went to the UK with what type of visa?

Initially a 6 more months visiting visa and then I applied for 2 years and I got it. so where are u my Nigerian friend ?
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by king14: 4:49pm On Dec 15, 2013
ayd91: All this pessimistic comments about Nigeria and how all staying here are doomed to fail really got me depressed.
What right do you have to destroy the little faith and confidence others have in the country.
I know you believe no good can come out of Nigeria but the country made you didn't it?
I don't have the means to travel out, nor property to sell to do so. My plan is to make the best of what is around me and succeed.
If anyone has the means to leave Nigeria for better opportunities, fine do so. You aren't accountable to anyone's opinions and your kids won't have much interest in listening to why you didn't succeed. So do what you have to do.
I still believe Nigeria will get better, when we stop believing, we can be rest assured the end has come.

Nobody is downcasting Nigeria or saying everybody there is doom. Afterall even those of us in the US still have one or two family there. The point is if you have the means or opportunity to travel give it a shot if you like. Simple!

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by hrhobi1(m): 4:53pm On Dec 15, 2013
Malakh: So possession of material things makes you better and greater than others, well I don't blame you, that's how mortals think, comparing themselves amongst themselves, u don't even have a clue what makes a man prosperous

My friend if u think having a house and a good car at a young age is not prosperity please in Adams oshiomoles voice go and dieeee.

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Niseamaka(m): 4:54pm On Dec 15, 2013
hrhobi1: I have been to the UK twice and I came back in less than a month on both trips, I remember my family were against my return and so was my friends but 2 years on now I have built my house and I have a nice ride.

So for me to think of selling my property and car to travel abroad is unthinkable . Whats so special about jand ? I have friends living overseas for years and they can't compare what they have to mine.

Well I believe anywhere is abroad if u make it so.

Making money is not the only reason why folks elope from Nigeria. Insecurity of lives and properties as well as epileptic nature of social amenities is a contributory factor. A relatively wealthy close friend of mine relocated due to a near death experience in the hands of hoodlums.

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Greatihex(m): 4:56pm On Dec 15, 2013
ayd91: All this pessimistic comments about Nigeria and how all staying here are doomed to fail really got me depressed.
. This is wonderful.

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Nobody: 4:57pm On Dec 15, 2013
Nobody is condemning someone relocating abroad.. Better environment, education. Roads, light and all but

Why would u want to sell a property u ve acquired to migrate? What type of visa will be using to migrate

Do u know most ppl dat sell their properties to migrate abroad are naïve and don't know how the system works.

Abroad if you have got no right or eligibility to work then u are finished because this is the key to your success. You need a work permit/citizen.

This are kind of folks in abroad that makes it easily and makes it looks like it easy.

How would u get a citizenship? Gone are those days arrange marriage are easy to do unlike this ways. Or u might be forced to marry someone u don't like in d name of paper.

Note: if u don't ve paper or working permit then u can only do some menial jobs and dey pay u peanut and not standard pay scale salary

Then folks used to forge paper to work but now everything has been computerized and its very hard for folks to use dat means again.

If you want to migrate abroad fine, don't ever sell ur property u ve acquired just because u are seeking a greener pasture.

You can sell a car, u can always buy another one not a home

Abroad favours those who have citizenship and work permit cos it makes life much easier unlike you that sold properties getting there u will be informed no paper no work, u will start battling to get papers....

Be wise, don't be deceive

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Originalsly: 4:59pm On Dec 15, 2013
Mr Knowitall: [b]Most Nigerians sell their properties to travel abroad because the rate of returns for their time, effort, investment,

education etc... is much better abroad.

Also, there are other factors you have to add to the equation: security, emergency service, stability, etc...

For example, lets say that your friends car was worth $8,000, his house was worth $80,000, and his boutique was

worth $10,000. Now lets assume your friend's boutique was bringing in about $16,000 a year, and he spent about

$15,000 to come to the United States. So your friend had a minimum of $98,000 minus the $15,000 he spent on

coming to the United States, so the moment your friend lands in the U.S he has $83,000 to invest in his future.

Because your friend was making $16,000 a year in Nigeria from his boutique, every year he Spense in the U.S,

he would have to make at least that much to at least justify why he left Nigeria. But since he had $83,000 cash

on hand, you will have to divide the $83,000 by $16,000 he was making yearly in Nigeria so this gives him a 5

year head start. Every dollar your friend makes in those five year is a surplus. If anytime within those five

years your friend gets a four year degree or some kind of technical training and starts making $44,000 a year,

your friend would be consider a brilliant investor. In fact, he could even go back to Nigeria an use his degree

to work and make more money than he would had made running the boutique. There are more variables to

the equation but this is just a break down i guess. [/b]
Ha!...you got jokes! $16 k is officially below the poverty line in the US...and you are talking about a 5 year headstart!...headstart to poverty and misery? It would be wayyy better and wiser for him to travel back and forth and boost his boutique. So many like him have leaped without looking....and are left exiled in the US...struggling, punishing, separated from family for years and years...cannot return either because if circumstances or pride....all because they leaped first and looked later. Like someone said earlier...know what you want to do...go visit and evaluate. For a person in his position I will not sell. Kids are the ones thay shojld go with education being the priority.
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by hrhobi1(m): 5:01pm On Dec 15, 2013
Niseamaka:

Making money is not the only reason why folks elope from Nigeria. Insecurity of lives and properties as well as epileptic nature of social amenities is a contributory factor. A relatively wealthy close friend of mine relocated due to a near death experience in the hands of hoodlums.

My God provides,protects, And I can always travel @ anytime.
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by InvertedHammer: 5:12pm On Dec 15, 2013
Mr Knowitall: [b]Most Nigerians sell their properties to travel abroad because the rate of returns for their time, effort, investment,

education etc... is much better abroad.

Also, there are other factors you have to add to the equation: security, emergency service, stability, etc...

For example, lets say that your friends car was worth $8,000, his house was worth $80,000, and his boutique was

worth $10,000. Now lets assume your friend's boutique was bringing in about $16,000 a year, and he spent about

$15,000 to come to the United States. So your friend had a minimum of $98,000 minus the $15,000 he spent on

coming to the United States, so the moment your friend lands in the U.S he has $83,000 to invest in his future.

Because your friend was making $16,000 a year in Nigeria from his boutique, every year he Spense in the U.S,

he would have to make at least that much to at least justify why he left Nigeria. But since he had $83,000 cash

on hand, you will have to divide the $83,000 by $16,000 he was making yearly in Nigeria so this gives him a 5

year head start. Every dollar your friend makes in those five year is a surplus. If anytime within those five

years your friend gets a four year degree or some kind of technical training and starts making $44,000 a year,

your friend would be consider a brilliant investor. In fact, he could even go back to Nigeria an use his degree

to work and make more money than he would had made running the boutique. There are more variables to

the equation but this is just a break down i guess. [/b]

You got it all wrong.

He has made the biggest mistake of his life.

For one, to even get fully acclimatized to the system takes a minimum of 3 years.

A better option would have been to sell his car only and go outside to hustle.

It is always good to have something to fall back on.

Of course, if his people in USA are aware that he is coming with $83,000 cash to stay.

There will be all kinds of ploy to separate the man from his money.

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by 735i(m): 5:15pm On Dec 15, 2013
This same abroad when we dey na hin dey shack people so?
If you wish to migrate; by all means; please do so, But be ready to face the following challenges;

1.) You are Black; That alone is enough reason for whites to discriminate
2.) You don't have a European degree or a specific skill in which your expertise can be evaluated
3.) You don't have a red or blue passport.
4.) You come get one mumu accent (what my brother calls it)

If you firmly belive that you can successively overcome the challenges that wil come with the above listed; then by all means (excluding selling property) please come!!!
The standard of living cannot be compared. Reason being; Naija has no standard of living......so there is nothing to compare...

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by justwise(m): 5:28pm On Dec 15, 2013
hrhobi1:

Initially a 6 more months visiting visa and then I applied for 2 years and I got it. so where are u my Nigerian friend ?

And u wanted to stay back in the UK to do what with visiting visa?

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by king14: 5:53pm On Dec 15, 2013
735 i:
This same abroad when we dey na hin dey shack people so?
If you wish to migrate; by all means; please do so, But be ready to face the following challenges;

1.) You are Black; That alone is enough reason for whites to discriminate
2.) You don't have a European degree or a specific skill in which your expertise can be evaluated
3.) You don't have a red or blue passport.
4.) You come get one mumu accent (what my brother calls it)

If you firmly belive that you can successively overcome the challenges that wil come with the above listed; then by all means (excluding selling property) please come!!!
The standard of living cannot be compared. Reason being; Naija has no standard of living......so there is nothing to compare...

You have spoken well, but all you have mentioned might be a barrier to migrating, but if you are useful to an organization, no corporation will use the above mentioned as an excuse to maximize shareholders wealth. If you are valuable the rest is history. HR in the US is nothing close to HR in Nigeria. when they see a talent they recognize it, doesn't matter if you are yellow green or orange. Companies can be sued and pay high fine if they do such. And trust me the least thing you want to do as a firm is get on the bad side of the government. i presently intern for the No 1 fortune 500 company and you will be amazed how many africans, Chinese and indians work with me and all earn above 65k. They have all have the qualities you mentioned. I am talking from a professional stand point of view not menial jobs. The one area that i know most companies are deviating from is hiring people that would require sponsorship not basically because of the cost but other resources that are tied up to this process with HR. Please i am referring to professional jobs here not menial hourly jobs. I am not saying this factors do not decrease ones chances, but Just add value and know what you are doing you will definitely get a good job. Although my accent is not that strong, but i was interviewed with other white american student at least 6 that i know of and i got the internship position.

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Bonga4: 6:02pm On Dec 15, 2013
Beats me why anyone would choose to slave away in a foreign land just to enjoy the amenities of light, water,etc. I know it's a challenge living in Nigeria but those who are living abroad are not finding it easy either
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 15, 2013
hrhobi1: I have been to the UK twice and I came back in less than a month on both trips, I remember my family were against my return and so was my friends but 2 years on now I have built my house and I have a nice ride.

So for me to think of selling my property and car to travel abroad is unthinkable . Whats so special about jand ? I have friends living overseas for years and they can't compare what they have to mine.

unfortunately you're comparing yourself to jobless people in the UK who are dependent on benefits. Most people in business or working in the the UK are doing quite alright

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by justwise(m): 6:03pm On Dec 15, 2013
Bonga4: Beats me why anyone would choose to slave away in a foreign land just to enjoy the amenities of light, water,etc. I know it's a challenge living in Nigeria but those who are living abroad are not finding it easy either

Why did you call it slavery?
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by king14: 6:08pm On Dec 15, 2013
Bonga4: Beats me why anyone would choose to slave away in a foreign land just to enjoy the amenities of light, water,etc. I know it's a challenge living in Nigeria but those who are living abroad are not finding it easy either

Please define slavery, the last time i checked someone making 70k annually and does not pay rent but owns is house, pays all his bill on time, lives and feeds comfortably, and can be anywhere an American citizen can be was not part of the content of slavery. t
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by king14: 6:12pm On Dec 15, 2013

Please define slavery, the last time i checked someone making 70k annually and does not pay rent but owns is house, pays all his bill on time, lives and feeds comfortably, and is not subject to any form or torture or excessive hard work was not part of the content of slavery. The main problem with blacks is that we are so inferior and feel uncomfortable, and as a result blame the white people for their misfortune. Come on you have got yo move ahead men.

slav·er·ies
1. The state of one bound in servitude as the property of a slaveholder or household.
a. The practice of owning slaves.
b. A mode of production in which slaves constitute the principal work force.
3. The condition of being subject or addicted to a specified influence.
4. A condition of hard work and subjection

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by solomon111(m): 6:17pm On Dec 15, 2013
Who cares?
It's their choice.
I hope it's worth it.
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by king14: 6:19pm On Dec 15, 2013
solomon111: Who cares?
It's their choice.
I hope it's worth it.

Right freedom of choice. Its a free world!
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Don1Dee(m): 6:25pm On Dec 15, 2013

What do u do for a living & how long have you been doing it, to have built a house and buy a good car in d two years-being a young man, as claimed. This a major determinant!

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by otiigba1(m): 6:25pm On Dec 15, 2013
faakay: Nobody is condemning someone relocating abroad.. Better environment, education. Roads, light and all but

Why would u want to sell a property u ve acquired to migrate? What type of visa will be using to migrate

Do u know most ppl dat sell their properties to migrate abroad are naïve and don't know how the system works.

Abroad if you have got no right or eligibility to work then u are finished because this is the key to your success. You need a work permit/citizen.

This are kind of folks in abroad that makes it easily and makes it looks like it easy.

How would u get a citizenship? Gone are those days arrange marriage are easy to do unlike this ways. Or u might be forced to marry someone u don't like in d name of paper.

Note: if u don't ve paper or working permit then u can only do some menial jobs and dey pay u peanut and not standard pay scale salary

Then folks used to forge paper to work but now everything has been computerized and its very hard for folks to use dat means again.

If you want to migrate abroad fine, don't ever sell ur property u ve acquired just because u are seeking a greener pasture.

You can sell a car, u can always buy another one not a home

Abroad favours those who have citizenship and work permit cos it makes life much easier unlike you that sold properties getting there u will be informed no paper no work, u will start battling to get papers....

Be wise, don't be deceive

true talk, and very honestly put
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by otiigba1(m): 6:28pm On Dec 15, 2013
Billyonaire: Are the pastures still greener over there ?
smiley smiley good question, no! not any more!
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by otiigba1(m): 6:35pm On Dec 15, 2013
king1_00:

Please define slavery, the last time i checked someone making 70k annually and does not pay rent but owns is house, pays all his bill on time, lives and feeds comfortably, and can be anywhere an American citizen can be was not part of the content of slavery. t
dont mind him, he is an ignorant, he has no idea what having an amercian passport means

Traffic Advisory: Eko Youth Walk For Tinubu Today. / Which Country Can I Relocate To With 500k? / Lady Narrates Near Crash Experience Onboard An Arik Flight From Lagos To Ghana

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90