Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,078 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad (17583 Views)

Info For All Those Who Want To Travel To Vietnam To Buy Clothes/shoes Etc / Easiest Way To Travel Abroad / Motives Behind The Constant Desire To Travel Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by hrhobi1(m): 2:06pm On Dec 15, 2013
I have been to the UK twice and I came back in less than a month on both trips, I remember my family were against my return and so was my friends but 2 years on now I have built my house and I have a nice ride.

So for me to think of selling my property and car to travel abroad is unthinkable . Whats so special about jand ? I have friends living overseas for years and they can't compare what they have to mine.

Well I believe anywhere is abroad if u make it so.

6 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by donodion(m): 2:11pm On Dec 15, 2013
funlad26:

No plan of coming back to naija niyen
no matter how abroad sweet.After long sojourn in a strange land when you "willfully" come home, your first one week is always a bliss.Unless such a person is the type that love to brag,compare and complain all the time. cool

1 Like

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by justwise(m): 2:16pm On Dec 15, 2013
hrhobi1: I have been to the UK twice and I came back in less than a month on both trips, I remember my family were against my return and so was my friends but 2 years on now I have built my house and I have a nice ride.

So for me to think of selling my property and car to travel abroad is unthinkable . Whats so special about jand ? I have friends living overseas for years and they can't compare what they have to mine.

You went to the UK with what type of visa?

10 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by ceejayluv(m): 2:16pm On Dec 15, 2013
A certain Tony Ezenna sold his Chemist stores in Aba to travel. Years later he's the CEO of Orange drugs Ltd...
No risk, no reward.

9 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by donphilopus: 2:18pm On Dec 15, 2013
My brother has sold most of his own, just to travel abroad. I wish him success!

2 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Malakh: 2:26pm On Dec 15, 2013
hrhobi1: I have been to the UK twice and I came back in less than a month on both trips, I remember my family were against my return and so was my friends but 2 years on now I have built my house and I have a nice ride.

So possession of material things makes you better and greater than others, well I don't blame you, that's how mortals think, comparing themselves amongst themselves, u don't even have a clue what makes a man prosperous

4 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Nobody: 2:48pm On Dec 15, 2013
Some people are after money while some are after happiness. You can try asking white, chinese, japanese....... expertriates what they are looking for in Naija, despite their developed economies. E.g if Einstein was not accepted into the U.S FATMAN & LITTLEBOY could have missed out on japan & the Nazi engineers would have huriedly unleash theirs & the whole planet would have bow to that beast called HITLER, but papa GOD has his unusual way of doing things.

2 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by andyzoga: 2:49pm On Dec 15, 2013
Success is not a native of any country. . . Wherever you are, be prayerful and work smart. Then, good success will be yours.

3 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by rhames(m): 2:50pm On Dec 15, 2013
Mr Knowitall: [b]Most Nigerians sell their properties to travel abroad because the rate of returns for their time, effort, investment,

education etc... is much better abroad.

Also, there are other factors you have to add to the equation: security, emergency service, stability, etc...

For example, lets say that your friends car was worth $8,000, his house was worth $80,000, and his boutique was

worth $10,000. Now lets assume your friend's boutique was bringing in about $16,000 a year, and he spent about

$15,000 to come to the United States. So your friend had a minimum of $98,000 minus the $15,000 he spent on

coming to the United States, so the moment your friend lands in the U.S he has $83,000 to invest in his future.

Because your friend was making $16,000 a year in Nigeria from his boutique, every year he Spense in the U.S,

he would have to make at least that much to at least justify why he left Nigeria. But since he had $83,000 cash

on hand, you will have to divide the $83,000 by $16,000 he was making yearly in Nigeria so this gives him a 5

year head start. Every dollar your friend makes in those five year is a surplus. If anytime within those five

years your friend gets a four year degree or some kind of technical training and starts making $44,000 a year,

your friend would be consider a brilliant investor. In fact, he could even go back to Nigeria an use his degree

to work and make more money than he would had made running the boutique. There are more variables to

the equation but this is just a break down i guess. [/b]

Did you factor in the Tax rate? Did you factor your rents which is weekly plus gas tax? Did you factor in the fact that there are Euaropeans or Americans who are out of job like everwhere else? Did you factor in the fact that other nationalities outside the aforementioned are also leaving their countries in droves for the same reason? Did he also considered that the UK immigration laws that was cancelled was actually targeted at Nigerians?

One thing I discovered about people like these in Nigeria is that they don't like to start small. They want to be rich overnight. Maybe the are not aware that even citizens of those countries don't like immigrants taking their jobs and that gave rise to extremist right wing racist groups in the Europe and America.

I cannot take the risk of selling my property to go abroad ins search of greener pastures. Its just not worth it. Good luck to those who do that.

6 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Shankboye(m): 2:51pm On Dec 15, 2013
Mr Knowitall: [b]Most Nigerians sell their properties to travel abroad because the rate of returns for their time, effort, investment,

Also, there are other factors you have to add to the equation: security, emergency service, stability, etc...

For example, lets say that your friends car was worth $8,000, his house was worth $80,000, and his boutique was

worth $10,000. Now lets assume your friend's boutique was bringing in about $16,000 a year, and he spent about

$15,000 to come to the United States. So your friend had a minimum of $98,000 minus the $15,000 he spent on

coming to the United States, so the moment your friend lands in the U.S he has $83,000 to invest in his future.

Because your friend was making $16,000 a year in Nigeria from his boutique, every year he Spense in the U.S,

he would have to make at least that much to at least justify why he left Nigeria. But since he had $83,000 cash

on hand, you will have to divide the $83,000 by $16,000 he was making yearly in Nigeria so this gives him a 5

year head start. Every dollar your friend makes in those five year is a surplus. If anytime within those five

years your friend gets a four year degree or some kind of technical training and starts making $44,000 a year,

your friend would be consider a brilliant investor. In fact, he could even go back to Nigeria an use his degree

to work and make more money than he would had made running the boutique. There are more variables to

bros na tales by moonlight be dis, like say na so e easy.. Mtchew..

5 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Shankboye(m): 2:56pm On Dec 15, 2013
tope3x: Hello house, I was in a friend's house last night when I met this new dude that came in on friday,he was narrating how Nigeria has been hell to his life..talking shi*ts about the country (No water,No stable electricity)and how it costed him lot of money to travel here,where he said he sold his car, his house and his boutique business that he has been managing for 3 years,but I was shaking my head within me cos I know it's not really easy to get a job here...now over to you nairalanders, Why do most Nigerians sell off their properties just to travel abroad and still work abroad to acquire same properties when they get back to Nigeria
don't sell a house to travel abroad.. Cars.. Ok, cloths good but a house mba!

1 Like

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Nobody: 2:59pm On Dec 15, 2013
If you don't sell it , before u come back ur uncle or bros had already sold it and pocket your money cheesy

Naija

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by king14: 3:10pm On Dec 15, 2013
Justwise baba long time no see. Nice answer to the guythat went to UK and said he would not think of selling anything. First of all what visa do you have, what's your skillset, educational background. I will personaly not recommend selling your property to go the UK because of the reduced oppurtunity and regulations. You can't expect to have a Nigerian degree and go to the Uk and make billions. You must be kidding me. I have git freinds that graduated from UK universities and do not have jobs. On the contrary US is so different. God bless America! It is the land of oppurtunities. There is a black race, there is an hispanic race and Asian race, an there are are several regulations that favour minorities such as the affirmative action. We Africans that come to the US just tap from such regulation not to add that hardwork pays real time. I havr no single friend that came here to study that did nit get a good job afterwards.I guess it all depends on your definiton of hardwork. Most UK laws favout citizens and not immigrants while a lot of US laws favour immigrant.and I tell you if you work hard and you have a better chance of getting a job than a US citizen. I am can testify to that. Moreover look at the long term benefits living in a developed country can have on your unborn child. That's a good gift as you open him yo different oppurtunity. So yes I will recommend sellibg properties and coming to the US if you are not coming on a visiting visa. Becausr you barely can get SSN and DL with that.

9 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by oolumide: 3:11pm On Dec 15, 2013
Dudes does this country look like is going to get better. Nigeria is at the lowest ebb than before. The only thing the shoeless one has been able to do is to throw up new set of young rich nigerians different from the sons of the past elites mainly from niger delta area. He that has ear let him hear. The country has been sold to the dogs. I am only here because I wouldnt want to go to another country in an illegit way. But ask yourself what does the future look like here where over 80% of out various salary is used to buy food, provide self generated electricity, security, pay children school fees and praying that u dont have any major health crises because their is no reliable and cheap health facility. yet each day is with pain and trouble while u are keeping ur eye open that boko haram we not strike around u. Is it going to get better no. While we are still at it the shoeless one pardon bode george all in the name of 2015. Pls if I am able to get out in a legitimate way, it is bye bye to radarada and jagbajagba.

12 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Nobody: 3:12pm On Dec 15, 2013
My opinion is that if you are very SURE of success, then you can give up anything just to make sure it comes to manifest.Or what do you say about those who intentionally drop-out of school in order to achieve their dream? oh, so you now understand. Well, I don`t know why some nigerians abroad somehow try to discourage others from migrating while they themselves do not have any intention of coming back to nigeria. I beg you all, enough of dishing out silly motivational quotes all aimed at discouraging those aspiring to travel abroad or fake assurance of hope like vision 2010...2015... 2020. If you`re still there, then let`s go there too or Go And Die.

3 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by oolumide: 3:15pm On Dec 15, 2013
And remember dude it is not always about you. It is about your children both the born and unborn. The education you pay tooth and nail for here is basic in most developed countries.

3 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by fittty(m): 3:19pm On Dec 15, 2013
justwise:

You went to the UK with what type of visa?
Good question!
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by oolumide: 3:23pm On Dec 15, 2013
@rhames I was once like you. Wake up bro and smell the coffee. It is about quality of life. Ask urself can life be worse than it is in present day nigeria compare to any of these countries we are talking about. I earn quite jointly with my wife but we are scratching to make ends meet. Think bro before it is too late.

1 Like

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Nobody: 3:24pm On Dec 15, 2013
Reproduced..

Sound argument all the way. As for me, i thank God that finally after being unemployed for 6 years, i finally gathered myself and staggered out of the country. I am enjoying London like fresh air. They keep saying it is hard, it is difficult, there are no jobs and all sort of things, but so far for me it has never been more simpler. The quality of life is so high. Everything works. I transited through Doha, Qatar and when i looked down on Doha from the airplane, i just wept. See country.... Speechless...... In fact, Nigeria has not even begun. How can Nigeria at this age still can not provide good roads at the very least? How can we not have good hospitals? Light? I think clearly here because when i sleep do not hear generators humming till day break and i do not hear vigilantes going around hourly hitting the bell. Gunshot? Last one i heard was in a movie... Roadblock? C'mon... Soldiers.. Nada... In fact Nigeria is a war zone.. I nor fit talk i beg. Finally it is just good to travel, even if na to see something for life then go back. No pastor don even threaten me with hell fire here say i nor pay offering cheesy. Everything is different here i beg, who talk say Nigeria better pass UK or US, make e dey there dey fool himself. After all people still dey stay Somalia. grin

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by hardbody: 3:26pm On Dec 15, 2013

Ever heard the cliche building castles in the air? That is what both the guy that sold and your good self are engaging in. So easy to think of one way events, you have forgotten the what ifs. I wish him luck but I am also aware that lizard will never become a croc just because of change in environment. Speaking for.myself, I will never do it,.NEVER.

1 Like

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Ishilove: 3:32pm On Dec 15, 2013

What tha freck is this? I HATE maths! angry sad

1 Like

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by tellwisdom: 3:33pm On Dec 15, 2013
calebo101: Reproduced..

Sound argument all the way. As for me, i thank God that finally after being unemployed for 6 years, i finally gathered myself and staggered out of the country. I am enjoying London like fresh air. They keep saying it is hard, it is difficult, there are no jobs and all sort of things, but so far for me it has never been more simpler. The quality of life is so high. Everything works. I transited through Doha, Qatar and when i looked down on Doha from the airplane, i just wept. See country.... Speechless...... In fact, Nigeria has not even begun. How can Nigeria at this age still can not provide good roads at the very least? How can we not have good hospitals? Light? I think clearly here because when i sleep do not hear generators humming till day break and i do not hear vigilantes going around hourly hitting the bell. Gunshot? Last one i heard was in a movie... Roadblock? C'mon... Soldiers.. Nada... In fact Nigeria is a war zone.. I nor fit talk i beg. Finally it is just good to travel, even if na to see something for life then go back. No pastor don even threaten me with hell fire here say i nor pay offering cheesy. Everything is different here i beg, who talk say Nigeria better pass UK or US, make e dey there dey fool himself. After all people still dey stay Somalia. grin

[img]http://.net/i/1126.gif[/img]

3 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by oneliner(m): 3:39pm On Dec 15, 2013
Nothing ventured nothing gained
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by blackmale500: 3:44pm On Dec 15, 2013

. i got your point but it doesn't work for everybody like you....you know...some came back and regret.
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by king14: 3:48pm On Dec 15, 2013
hardbody:

Ever heard the cliche building castles in the air? That is what both the guy that sold and your good self are engaging in. So easy to think of one way events, you have forgotten the what ifs. I wish him luck but I am also aware that lizard will never become a croc just because of change in environment. Speaking for.myself, I will never do it,.NEVER.

Dude you must be joking if you believe environment has no impact in defining success!

6 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by blackmale500: 3:49pm On Dec 15, 2013
andyzoga: Success is not a native of any country. . . Wherever you are, be prayerful and work smart. Then, good success will be yours.
. i get your point...but in naija,s case..you can do all the above and still be poor.

1 Like

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by Nobody: 3:51pm On Dec 15, 2013
sell properties to go abroad? shocked especially a home

you think abroad is where they pick money on the ground.

lot of folks have done it and regretted.... cry

Mr Knowitall: Most Nigerians sell their properties to travel abroad because the rate of returns for their time, effort, investment,

the equation but this is just a break down i guess.

this is total bullsshiiiit u analyzed here.. what's the guarantee is going to get a job worth that amount? is that easy over there? how will the person get paper to work? have you considered that? so many etc....

Don't ever I repeat sell properties to go abroad if you haven't visit there before... cos when you get there your eyes will open shocked cool

2 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by femo86(m): 3:51pm On Dec 15, 2013
Bookmarked.....1985, IBB was the president of Nigeria and our
teachers told us that Buhari was the former Head of
state. Our teacher also called us "the leaders of
tomorrow" 27 years later, IBB and Buhari are still
contesting for Presidency.Its either our teacher lied
to us about being the leaders of tomorrow. Or tomorrow is yet to come. Who's fooling who?In
1983, Bamanga Tukur was the Governor of the
defunct Gongola State (now Adamawa & Taraba)
and 30 years later, he is today the Chairman of the
ruling Party, The PDP;Dr. Bello Halliru was
commissioner in the Old Sokoto State (now Sokoto, Kebbi & Zamfara) and 33 years after was the
Minister of Defence;Major General David Mark(rtd)
was the military governor of Niger State in 1984
and 28years later he is today the Senate President;
Gov. Murtala Nyako was the governor of Niger State
in 1976 and 36years later he is today the Governor of Adamawa State; Ogbonnaya Onu was governor
of Abia State in 1992 and 20years after he is today
the National Chairman of ANPP;Gov. David Jonah
Jang was the governor of Benue State in 1985 and
27years after he is today the governor of plateau
state; and Martins Elechi the Ebonyi State Governor is over 80 years old!Only in Nigeria is this possible,
where the youth of today have no hope into the
future!From strike in health sector, to the labour, to
judiciary, to Education and today our students are
home lavishing!

I go soon comot dis yeye Naija IJN...

9 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by DgRaNdShErifF(m): 3:52pm On Dec 15, 2013
king1_00: Justwise baba long time no see. Nice answer to the guythat went to UK and said he would not think of selling anything. First of all what visa do you have, what's your skillset, educational background. I will personaly not recommend selling your property to go the UK because of the reduced oppurtunity and regulations. You can't expect to have a Nigerian degree and go to the Uk and make billions. You must be kidding me. I have git freinds that graduated from UK universities and do not have jobs. On the contrary US is so different. God bless America! It is the land of oppurtunities. There is a black race, there is an hispanic race and Asian race, an there are are several regulations that favour minorities such as the affirmative action. We Africans that come to the US just tap from such regulation not to add that hardwork pays real time. I havr no single friend that came here to study that did nit get a good job afterwards.I guess it all depends on your definiton of hardwork. Most UK laws favout citizens and not immigrants while a lot of US laws favour immigrant.and I tell you if you work hard and you have a better chance of getting a job than a US citizen. I am can testify to that. Moreover look at the long term benefits living in a developed country can have on your unborn child. That's a good gift as you open him yo different oppurtunity. So yes I will recommend sellibg properties and coming to the US if you are not coming on a visiting visa. Becausr you barely can get SSN and DL with that.
God bless The United State of America joor

kai, this visa lottery wey no favour naija this year realy pain me. God will surely provide a way.

2 Likes

Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by king14: 3:54pm On Dec 15, 2013
andyzoga: Success is not a native of any country. . . Wherever you are, be prayerful and work smart. Then, good success will be yours.

Why strive to buy a 2013 car when a 1995 car works perfectly. Wake up to the reality dude. If an oppurtunity is given then it should be taken if the oppurtunity cost is lower.
Re: Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad by omibia(m): 3:55pm On Dec 15, 2013
And why should someone who gets the chance not travel when a principal of a secondary school earns as low as N70, 000/month making him earn N840, 000(5, 250USD) in a year while a teacher who just got employed in September in a high school here in the US earns $50, 000 a year?
I believe the quality of life you wanna live depends on you. As for me, I am not regretting coming here.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Traffic Advisory: Eko Youth Walk For Tinubu Today. / Which Country Can I Relocate To With 500k? / Lady Narrates Near Crash Experience Onboard An Arik Flight From Lagos To Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.