Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,135 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

Webmasters, Please What Are The Best Security Measures For SMF? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Webmasters, Please What Are The Best Security Measures For SMF? (732 Views)

My Nairaland Frontpage "Mod" For SMF / How Can I Embed Google Ads In My Smf Forum / Wordpress Blog With Smf Forum Integrated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Webmasters, Please What Are The Best Security Measures For SMF? by realugee: 10:55am On Dec 16, 2013
I just launched this SMF site (http://forum..net), and I discovered that unlike Wordpress, SMF doesn't have any automatic backup MOD...

Please what security measures do I have to carry out to avoid hacking, or any form of loss? Feel free to drop ur comments on the site.. Whether Good or Bad. Thanks

Once again the site is http://forum..net
Re: Webmasters, Please What Are The Best Security Measures For SMF? by Afam4eva(m): 11:08am On Dec 16, 2013
I'm not aware of any auto backup mod for smf. I'll suggest you backup manually like every week or several times a week. That's what i do for my forum.

I must also commend you for the forum you have there. I like the simplicity.
Re: Webmasters, Please What Are The Best Security Measures For SMF? by realugee: 11:19am On Dec 16, 2013
Afam4eva: I'm not aware of any auto backup mod for smf. I'll suggest you backup manually like every week or several times a week. That's what i do for my forum.

I must also commend you for the forum you have there. I like the simplicity.
Thanks a lot... Wow! Manual backup is going to be some work though.
Re: Webmasters, Please What Are The Best Security Measures For SMF? by sunday478(m): 3:08pm On Dec 16, 2013
real_ugee:
Thanks a lot... Wow! Manual backup is going to be some work though.
men! That your forum was cool.
Re: Webmasters, Please What Are The Best Security Measures For SMF? by realugee: 3:59pm On Dec 16, 2013
sunday478: men! That your forum was cool.
Thanks a lot bro...
Re: Webmasters, Please What Are The Best Security Measures For SMF? by LoveDecay(m): 12:31pm On Dec 17, 2013
real_ugee:
Thanks a lot bro...

Hard to read !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 cry
Re: Webmasters, Please What Are The Best Security Measures For SMF? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Dec 17, 2013
Love_Decay:

??
Re: Webmasters, Please What Are The Best Security Measures For SMF? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Dec 17, 2013
Love_Decay:

??
Love_Decay:

Love_Decay:

??
Re: Webmasters, Please What Are The Best Security Measures For SMF? by CALEB65(m): 5:05pm On Dec 17, 2013
that's a great site u hv there... cool... Hw did u make it responsive
Re: Webmasters, Please What Are The Best Security Measures For SMF? by realugee: 5:36pm On Dec 17, 2013
CALEB65: that's a great site u hv there... cool... Hw did u make it responsive
Hmmmm... I don't know if some of these tricks should be exposed here but I'll do it anyway... I just set a minimum and maximum width for the sites body, and some other contents like images, search boxes etc. so that it changes depending on the users device-width.

I also did some work on my "viewport". Please forgive me for any wrong terms used... I'm still a learner. Feel free to ask any more questions and also drop your suggestions. Thanks
Re: Webmasters, Please What Are The Best Security Measures For SMF? by winexviv: 8:39pm On Dec 22, 2013
Send your number. We need to talk.
Re: Webmasters, Please What Are The Best Security Measures For SMF? by LoveDecay(m): 10:16am On Dec 23, 2013
Love_Decay:

I meant ur text is hard to read. On security, there little you can do besides hard password see keepass , hard database names and passwords see keepass again.

Most of ur security would be the host responsibility cos they have full access rights and can modify necessary files and settings. On Wordpress there are a few plugins that help harden not sure about the forums.

But if your managed ur vps/server like some of us do, you should be looking at csf for the server and for managing blacklists and mod security on apache or naxsi for nginx.

Note: for a good measure of security you need protection on the kernel level (Ubuntu , cent os, Debian , Rhel) , web server level (apache,nginx,lighttpd,Cherokee lite speed) and on the application level (Wordpress, smf, vbulletin, magneto, Drupal e.t.c ).

You need to contact your host for proper information .
Re: Webmasters, Please What Are The Best Security Measures For SMF? by realugee: 1:57pm On Dec 23, 2013
Love_Decay:

I meant ur text is hard to read. On security, there little you can do besides hard password see keepass , hard database names and passwords see keepass again.

Most of ur security would be the host responsibility cos they have full access rights and can modify necessary files and settings. On Wordpress there are a few plugins that help harden not sure about the forums.

But if your managed ur vps/server like some of us do, you should be looking at csf for the server and for managing blacklists and mod security on apache or naxsi for nginx.

Note: for a good measure of security you need protection on the kernel level (Ubuntu , cent os, Debian , Rhel) , web server level (apache,nginx,lighttpd,Cherokee lite speed) and on the application level (Wordpress, smf, vbulletin, magneto, Drupal e.t.c ).

You need to contact your host for proper information .

Thanks a lot for this useful reply.

(1) (Reply)

Help: Sn.dll Missing On My Pc / Monthly Or Yearly Fee For Web Design Clients? Which Do You Charge? / Get Free Standard Website Of Any Kind Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.