Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,788 members, 7,827,908 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:00 PM

ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday (16825 Views)

ASUU Strike Suspended, NEC To Officially Inform Members On Wednesday / ASUU/NEC Meeting Postponed Till SATURDAY / Breaking News! ASUU Suspends Strike. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by Sodiq33(m): 2:03pm On Dec 17, 2013
How can you tweet about ASUU strike when
you're in a College of Education? Wetin
concern Jose Mourinho with Bayelsa
United?

1 Like

Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by otijah(m): 2:04pm On Dec 17, 2013
Oduntan Gabriel:
ASUU strike will be called off SOON,that SOON is similar
to the one in "Jesus is coming SOON"
we even knw Jesus must come but ASUU we don't knw yet

1 Like

Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by Abbeylincson(m): 2:04pm On Dec 17, 2013
The President of the Academic Staff Union of Nigerian Universities (ASUU), Dr. Nasir Fagge, told Saharareporters about the decision to suspend 5-month industrial action.
The ASUU leader also held a press conference in Minna, after the marathon National Executive Council meeting was over at about 12.50 a.m. on December 17, 2013, Tuesday. In attendance at the meeting were all the ASUU branch chairmen and secretaries, the national executive members of the body, coordinators and past leaders, including 56 members from 52 universities.
The decision should take effect starting from today.
Another confirmation came from ASUU Chairman, University of Lagos Chapter, Dr. Karo Ogbinaka, who also confirmed in an interview to Channels Television that the union decided to suspend the strike.
Dr. Ogbinaka said that, in line with procedures, the different chapters of ASUU would hold congress meetings on Wednesday to inform members and managements of the institutions of the latest development.
"We expect the students to resume and expect their members to go back to class immediately after the congress meeting and we expect the government to keep to the terms of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)," he stated.
It would be noted that the decision to end the protracted industrial action was taken after ASUU signed a new agreement with the Federal Government on December 11, 2013.
http://m.naij.com/news/54483.html
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by Davicjoe(m): 2:05pm On Dec 17, 2013
it is well. skul no be by force. tank God say i get hand work.
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by god2baski(m): 2:05pm On Dec 17, 2013
I guess they are hoping that they will receive their 5month salary for xmas celebration, that's why they suspended it
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by emmahoney(m): 2:05pm On Dec 17, 2013
codedflowz: angry
suspension means nothing but to be continued!!
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by felzylix(m): 2:09pm On Dec 17, 2013
Doesn't sound like good news, now that the strike is less effective. mtcheeeewww!
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by merbenko: 2:09pm On Dec 17, 2013
Ok i hear
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by JideTheBlogger(m): 2:18pm On Dec 17, 2013
Nice
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by ITbomb(m): 2:23pm On Dec 17, 2013
In the history of ASUU strike, I believe this is the only government that has holistically tackle ASUU and commit themselves to funding tertiary education .
Whereas others would have been busy looking for few gullible Union members to bribe and call off the strike (BABA) or use/threaten to use force against Union members (Buhari)
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by affigurl5(f): 2:24pm On Dec 17, 2013
kufre james: assu suspends strike to go for xmass,....strike resumz january 6th
LOL.
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by ayusco85(m): 2:25pm On Dec 17, 2013
Old news. ur so behind in happenings. Students have celebrated the calling off yesterday, so this not news. Tell us something new jare. Somethin new like "Goodluck Jonathan postpones christmas to january 25th" shocked
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by Cuteclem: 2:35pm On Dec 17, 2013
Which dumb members are they informing on wednsday dont this members have tv in their homes, newspapers
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by Eseose9(f): 2:37pm On Dec 17, 2013
Sermwell: Who cares??
NFCS does!!
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by Nocojp: 2:38pm On Dec 17, 2013
PS3 FOR SALE, with all accessories, pes 2013, 2pad, 3plates, HDMI CABLE and 80GB. Just 40k reach me if you're interested. 7982CA5E 08068108778, am in Asaba
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by packman: 2:38pm On Dec 17, 2013
[size=20pt]NO MORE COMMENT

TO HELL WITH ASUU[/size]

Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by Sec5(m): 2:40pm On Dec 17, 2013
stan4b: Tank God.
Make Oluchi go kill d fattest cow,cos dis is good news.

I'm sure u are not referring to my own Oluchi?
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by Nobody: 2:43pm On Dec 17, 2013
at last! ASUU won!
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by yungryce: 2:52pm On Dec 17, 2013
T-smooth:
They have suspended it since yesterday. This is good news. All this 16yrs old boys/girls can go back to school and stop disturbing us with thirty trash on NL. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
this is already old. Try smthg new
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by steadynana: 2:53pm On Dec 17, 2013
..and wat are dey meetin for again...cant they just say it and they know...if sth happens on d way to d meetin now its going to br another story
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by Nobody: 2:56pm On Dec 17, 2013
Back to citadel of Knowledge.....I MISS SCHOOL JAWIE.
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by ITbomb(m): 3:05pm On Dec 17, 2013
Cuteclem: Which dumb members are they informing on wednsday dont this members have tv in their homes, newspapers
There is what we call 'Official Communique' kiddo.
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by Nobody: 3:09pm On Dec 17, 2013
steadynana: ..and wat are dey meetin for again...cant they just say it and they know...if sth happens on d way to d meetin now its going to br another story
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by Nobody: 3:11pm On Dec 17, 2013
ITbomb:
There is what we call 'Official Communique' kiddo.
now i know.TANX

1 Like

Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by itoldu: 3:14pm On Dec 17, 2013
ITbomb: In the history of ASUU strike, I believe this is the only government that has holistically tackle ASUU and commit themselves to funding tertiary education .
Whereas others would have been busy looking for few gullible Union members to bribe and call off the strike (BABA) or use/threaten to use force against Union members (Buhari)

Sincerely, i could have regarded you as an incubating misdirected person but i refuse to. So therefore, i decide to laugh. Please could you kindly mention the various parties that have been in power since democracy? I believe you had a point when you thought of "THE ONLY GOVERNMENT" and i'm sure "CRAP" wasn't on your mind. Unfortunately, it is what you dispensed. So you are saying Jonathan and the crew didn't threaten? This might be hard for you to take-in but i can't feel your pain.
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by texazzpete(m): 3:20pm On Dec 17, 2013
alotofgrace: suspended to continue later or what?

Suspended in case this useless FG once again does not live up to their words.

If the FG lives up to the terms of the agreement, there will be no further ASUU strikes for many years to come.
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by itoldu: 3:24pm On Dec 17, 2013
Moreover, is it because no one has come up to say they refused to collect bribe? This is nigeria and i love my country but until AMAECHI's theory is put into practice, bribery and corruption won't minimise. You can wait till the end of Jonathan's tenure to know about those who refused bribes during this strike palava. I won't be surprised if Doyin Okupe's name is .... let's leave it there.
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by otunnejustice(m): 3:53pm On Dec 17, 2013
Now it's d turn of students 2 hold ASUU by d balls.U av d rit 2 go on strike if u do nt see any significnt change in ur sch,quality of teachin,improved learnin environment etc.It's not d prerogative of ASUU 2 hold a grp down,dey 2 can b held dwn.Infact I tink d best way 2 get wt u wnt in dis clime is 2 hold dwn d one holdn ur 'tin' up.ASUU holds dwnn FG,students hold dwn ASUU,parents hold dwn students,,ermmm,ehem,,,God holds dwn parents! *sings*, 'evrybody hold ur own tin,parararararara,hold ur own tin,parararara,evrybdy run ur own show,parararararara,run ur package,parararara'
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by chiboy429(m): 4:05pm On Dec 17, 2013
It is high time ASUU and other union in the sector device more distinctive strategies to address inadequecies other than striking.

Standard of Education in Nigeria over the years since independence has being on the plummet till date. Government on their part has played major role to revitalise the system . But because of shift in paradigm of power from one administration to another,Education in the country has suffered greatly in the hands of our past leaders. Though,there were past leaders who took holistic measures to revamp and improve the system ,likewise one’s that paid lip services to the standard of education in our beloved country.
However,since the establishment of tertiary institution of learning in Nigeria,industrial action by various unions in the educational sector has being a tool to drive their demands to and from the public and the stake holders of the sector in question. This actions sometimes is in the interest ,for improvement in the sector.
Various unions such as Academic Staff Union Of universities (ASUU),Non Academic staff Union Of Universities (NASUU),Senior Staff Association Of Universities (SSANU),Nigeria Union Of Teachers(NUT),Nigeria Association Of Technologists (NAT) et al has embarked on national strike for one reason or the other ,ranging from salary structure,conducive working environment, improvement of standard in the system,structural development.
Consequentially, Proper analysis of the period of strike in the Educational sector,taking the university sector as a case study, is able to graduate a student offering a four years course. But this precious years is being wasted on strike.
It is now imperative for lecturers and teachers to resort to more proficient measures as alternative to address their issues other than using incessant strikes to halt Academic activities in our citadel of learning.
Practically,we must be able to identify the problems that militates our standard of Education. Which includes inadequate funding,infrastructural deficit,poor learning environment,poorly equiped laboratories and insufficient research materials and tools.
Further more,having known those afore-mentioned inadequacies,the Government have a major role to play because lesson learnt from the nearly six months old ASUU strike that started on july 1 2013 shows that our universities,in short our tertiary institutions are all poorly funded.
For us to standardise our Educational system, we must invest reasonable amount of our annual budgetary fund into the system.
First and foremost,the Government must invent feasible and indigienous strategies that will enhance revamp of the sector.
Firstly,the government should impose a 1 percent Educational tax on every import to the country.
Secondly,every worker in the country should invest 0.5 percent of their salary into Education.
Thirdly,the salaries of senators,Governors,Chairmen,lawmakers, and ministers should be pruned by 50 percent and aftermath be invested into Education.
Fourthly,it is not enough to make,implement this measures but a body should be set up that will oversee the proper flow of those implemented strategies.
In Addition,policy must be made to checkmate the body or agency in charge of the Educational fund. And no immunity clause should be attached to it regardless of status,achievement or social class of anybody.
Subsequently,as the fund is realised,it must be used to settle the various problems lingering on in the sector that has resulted to concurrent strikes since past years.
More also,this fund must be disbursed equitably across the institution using a well strategised master plan. Also frequent monitoring must be practised by Agencies such as NUC ,NPC and Other similar bodies incharge of Education in the country with the federal Government being the final superviser.
We must make the sacrifice that is involved if we want a competitive and standard Education in Nigeria,all the loads are not totally bestowed on the federal or state Government. We have our own individual role to play as citizens of this great nation.
Lastly,promising investors should not shy away but encouraged to invest into the system and collaborate with Government on this subject matter.
Source
Http://enews.com.ng
Re: ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday by myola777(m): 4:15pm On Dec 17, 2013
he! he! he! see gobe, what else can i say?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

University Of Benin Art Exhibition (pics) / Adeyemi College Of Education, Ondo Is On Fire (Photos) / FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.