Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,442 members, 7,812,322 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:36 AM

FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years (16816 Views)

FG Probes 10 Varsities Over Fraud, Sex Scandals(see List)-daily Trust / FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years / FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by kglamour(m): 1:48am On Nov 06, 2013
The PUNCH gathered on Tuesday evening that a key component of the agreement reached by the parties was that the Federal Government would inject N1.1tn into public universities in the next five years.

A reliable source, who made this known, also hinted that the strike would be called off anytime next week.

He said the government team which was led by President Goodluck Jonathan would release N220bn yearly into the sector beginning from 2014.

The source added, “The meeting should be the longest that we have ever had on this crisis but I can tell you that both parties were frank all through the discussions.

“The parties also showed commitment towards ending the crisis. The President in particular showed that he was serious about ending the strike and that was why he offered to release over N1tn to the universities in the next five years.

“The money will be released on a yearly basis at N220bn per annum beginning from 2014. For the outgoing year, the government will only release N100bn and this has been processed.”

He said that the government, in order to show its commitment to a fresh pact, accepted that “the fund(N1.1tn) should domiciled at the Central Bank of Nigeria”

“The money will be released on a quarterly basis to the universities. So, there won’t be any problem about funding the deal,” the source said.

The National Universities Commission and the Trade Union Congress, according to him, will be the joint guarantors of the agreement while the Minister of Education will be the implementation officer.

The source also said that the government agreed among other things, to revamp the public universities by ensuring that all those issues that always led to strike were dealt with once and for all.

It was learnt that the negotiating team of ASUU led by Dr. Nassir Faggae met on Tuesday night to further deliberate on the deal.

Though the details of the meeting were not known as of 11.22pm on Tuesday, it was gathered that ASUU might call a National Executive Council meeting on or before Saturday where the deal would be tabled before all its branch executives.

Jonathan had while shaking hands with Fagge after the marathon meeting in the Presidential Villa, Abuja said, “My President, I hope it (strike) will end today(Tuesday). Our children have suffered enough. We must find a solution.”

All those in attendance responded with a loud “Amen.”

When greeting Omar, he said, “My President with you around, there will be no problem; our agreement is signed, sealed and delivered.”.

Faggae told State House correspondent on his way out of the Villa, that his team would take back a message to varsity teachers before a decision would be taken on the next line of action.

“We had a lengthy meeting with Mr. President, and we looked into how best to address the problem of university education in this country. We now have a message from Mr. President that we are going to take to our members and we are expecting that our members will respond appropriately to his message,” he said.

Fagge added that since the message was meant for members, he would not divulge it to the press.

When asked whether university teachers would be called upon to return to the classrooms, he said that the decision was left for them to take.

When further asked if he was impressed by the President’s message, Faggae cautioned journalists against putting words in his mouth, insisting that only ASUU members would determine that.

The Minister of Labour, Chief Emeka Wogu, who listened to Faggae’s encounter with journalists, later said progress was made during the discussion.

He said, “We made progress. The President of ASUU told you that they are going back with a message from the Federal Government back to their members and the message is full of high expectation and hope.”

When asked whether ASUU would call off the strike, Wogu said that was why he described the message as full of expectation.

“Our prayer is that they will come back with positive outcome. They might even not come back to meet us. They might take decision there that will meet your expectations “ he said.

He added that the offers made by the government during the meeting were those that were in line with the contentious 2009 agreement.

He said since the issues that led to the strike bordered on the 2009 agreement, the government did not go beyond the pact.

The President was joined at the meeting that started at 2.40pm on Monday by Vice-President Namadi Sambo; Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala; the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Anyim Pius Anyim; the Supervising Minister of Education, Nyesom Wike; Wogu among others.

Faggae led the union team which included past presidents such as Prof. Abdulahi Sule-Kano, Prof. Dipo Fashina and Prof. Festus Iyayi.

President of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Abdulawahid Omar and his Trade Union Congress counterpart, Bobboi Kaigama, also attended.

Other members of the delegation were Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi, Prof. Victor Osodeke, Prof. Suleiman Abdul, Dr. Victor Igbum and Mr. Michael Odunmoraye.

The marathon meeting was the first between ASUU and Jonathan since the strike started. The Presidency took over the negotiations with ASUU on September 19 with Sambo in charge.

http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-to-give-varsities-n1-1tn-in-five-years/
Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by musiwa112: 1:55am On Nov 06, 2013
did you see any jonathan 1000 buses ..

8 Likes

Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by kglamour(m): 1:58am On Nov 06, 2013
whaooooooooo shocked I am three years old on nairaland today.
6th of November, 2010 marked the birth of nairalander named kglamour. Happy birthday LLnP.
Just ''like'' will be OK to celebrate with me, this reputable site has touched my life in an unquantifiable ways. thanks

90 Likes

Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by kglamour(m): 2:01am On Nov 06, 2013
musiwa112: did you see any jonathan 1000 buses ..
Yes! I did not.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by MaJBlige(f): 2:13am On Nov 06, 2013

Yes, I do, everyday in Abuja.

1 Like

Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by Dominionng(m): 4:25am On Nov 06, 2013
Issokay!
Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by temi4fash(m): 4:54am On Nov 06, 2013
I just hope d various university management will not sabotage FG's effort on d universities by diverting d various monies to their various pkts...

2 Likes

Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by omenka(m): 4:57am On Nov 06, 2013
Shebi him don sign anoda. Tomorow when him refuse to implement and them down tools, him go say na Tinubu and Buhari cause am. Yeye man.

4 Likes

Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by omenka(m): 5:00am On Nov 06, 2013
Help me ask them o Egbon Musiwa. The oaf has never been and may never be a man of his word.
Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by SBJoji(m): 5:50am On Nov 06, 2013
This means anoda strike come 2014

2 Likes

Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by Nobody: 6:10am On Nov 06, 2013
It's well only untill then and after then! Fg, dont make promises u wont implement when it's time. All is well!
Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by kokoA(m): 6:19am On Nov 06, 2013
Waste of four months strike! There is nothing new here, same old promises. Another ASUU strike is sure in coming years.

1 Like

Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by Acidosis(m): 6:19am On Nov 06, 2013
Oyap ASUP, TUC, etc., time to hustle for your own share of the oyel money..

1 Like

Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by raytony: 6:30am On Nov 06, 2013
Shebi na wetin him for don do all these while. He left it and was dragging his foot. He didn't see the need to meet them in person all this while. Was he that busy? This is truly not the hallmark of a true leader.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by Danhumprey: 6:44am On Nov 06, 2013
Musiwa is here. grin Do you have satellite picx of the marathon meeting? undecided
Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by Samgreguc(m): 7:21am On Nov 06, 2013
do u mean the sure-p buses?
Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by Samgreguc(m): 7:25am On Nov 06, 2013
omenka: Shebi him don sign anoda. Tomorow when him refuse to implement and them down tools, him go say na Tinubu and Buhari cause am. Yeye man.
bad belle

2 Likes

Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by Samgreguc(m): 7:26am On Nov 06, 2013
kokoA: Waste of four months strike! There is nothing new here, same old promises. Another ASUU strike is sure in coming years.
hahah.... God forbid
Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by Samgreguc(m): 7:34am On Nov 06, 2013
raytony: Shebi na wetin him for don do all these while. He left it and was dragging his foot. He didn't see the need to meet them in person all this while. Was he that busy? This is truly not the hallmark of a true leader.
hahaha..... I don't think you'v eva lead an organization as demanding by just 25% of the presidency of Nigeria, if you'v done, then I think you really don't know the reason for your vice,deputy, sec. Gen or assist. Sec. Gen. Or even a commitee.

1 Like

Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by Demdem(m): 7:40am On Nov 06, 2013
I dont expect ASUU to accept anything not inside the 2009 agreement.
Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by Amanwulu1(m): 7:42am On Nov 06, 2013
So I'll b going back to schl 2 round off my programme and gain my promotn. God bless gej.
Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by 1MCN: 7:48am On Nov 06, 2013
'...My President..' I think Jonathan is a signpost of humility.
But wait, it's the same hundred billion that's been given to ASUU since over two months. So why protracting the strike action when they'd eventually accept the money and resume work? Ok, maybe they just needed to visit the Aso Villa and have a Presidential handshake. For a meeting that lasted for about 13hrs it means they had two square meals in the villa! O'boy, this na correct strategy. ASUU don folo chop the 1Bn naira food budget for the villa...lol.
Don't mind me. Maybe ASUU just wanted to hear from the horses mouth the full assurance that the FG will definitely be faithful to the pact this time around.
But, chill let me open my suspected political undercurrent to this: for ASUU to be doubly sure of their 1.1trn between 2004 to the next five years, then it has to mobilize itself and its disciples to support Jonathan's re-election in 2015 either overtly or covertly. Otherwise they may have to start this negotiation all over again. Jonathan na master planner. Who say this man na clue-worefa!...lol. Just let the kids return to class shapali

12 Likes

Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by Brimmie(m): 7:58am On Nov 06, 2013
Can someone help me ask that Frog-eyed Harvard Thief, na why them come see 1tr!?? undecided

And where's that PromoSexual OAU boy-boy that's always foaming up and down about ASUU!?

Akure Ti Ya Ooo!! sad

Omo FUTA!!

2 Likes

Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by LMAyedun(m): 8:01am On Nov 06, 2013
And 24hrs after, we haven't heard from ASUU yet.....

The question is.... Will ASUU members accept the new offer?
Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by njuwo(m): 8:12am On Nov 06, 2013
Hahahahahahahahahaha.......Dem neva call off strike see as d news long like say dem don call am off. Na wa o.
Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by texazzpete(m): 8:19am On Nov 06, 2013
You know the sad thing?

When the FG reneges on this agreement in the next few years, we'll still hear the same people on Nairaland complaining about 'incessant ASUU strikes'.

Signing deals has never been the problem. Getting the crooks at the top to honor the deal is another thing. We'll see
Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by 1025: 8:25am On Nov 06, 2013
hahahahahahahahahahaha, we are suffering from documents and agreements this FG signed without checking and now a larger amount has been promised. when it is time to live up to their promises now, stories will change. i do not trust this pdp led govt. they are fraudulent.
the same fuel increment that was aimed at bettering the lives of nigerians is now missing N500B. what a shame of a govt.

1 Like

Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by phtemie(m): 8:26am On Nov 06, 2013
It won't be a bad Idea if the FG appoints a committee to monitor the utilization of the money..I don't trust those ASUU of a thing,they can misappropriate the fund and spend little on the varsities.

1 Like

Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by Osgilliat(m): 8:32am On Nov 06, 2013
If ASUU did not accept the offer then they should prepare because boys don dey plan something big for them.
Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by MaJBlige(f): 8:34am On Nov 06, 2013
raytony: Shebi na wetin him for don do all these while. He left it and was dragging his foot. He didn't see the need to meet them in person all this while. Was he that busy? This is truly not the hallmark of a true leader.

You must talk sha. Which Nigeria President has ever sought audience with ASUU in resolving the education crises?

9 Likes

Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by premlove(m): 8:37am On Nov 06, 2013
Assu should just wait till next year abeg haba

1 Like

Re: FG To Give Varsities N1.1tn In Five Years by Nobody: 8:47am On Nov 06, 2013
Demdem: I dont expect ASUU to accept anything not inside the 2009 agreement.

Why are u dis stupid and naïve, must ur hate for Jonathan cause u to be insensitive to students plights?

Now let's see what their so-called members say

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ASUU Suspends Strike, NEC To Inform Members On Wednesday / Best Waec Result In Nigeria's History... (PHOTO!!!) / Non Issuance Of Transcript By Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.