Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,857 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? (12118 Views)

He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job / Is It Possible For OND Holder To Earn Upto 80k Per Month? / Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Jarus(m): 5:42pm On Dec 17, 2013
I need your advice on something quite important. Three months ago, I was suspended from my job for a crime I am not guilty of (I suspect my boss does not want me and otehr accountants again; he suspended me and forced another accountant to resign). Since then, I have been carrying out a research on how to start and run a farm(palm tree, cassava, maize etc). I have even bought a hectare of land in a village close to my hometown in Kwara state for that purpose and secured more hectares on lease. All I am waiting for is teh season start (February/March).

I must tell you I am already feeling like a boss (lol), when, suddenly, I learnt after the investigations that my boss had been mandated to call me back and he has done that. The questions now are: should I go back? Am I strong enough to start my own now? Won’t I be better off being on my own? Wont he (my boss) organise a bigger trouble for me (since he was forced me back in the first place)? Now I am at crossroads. With the job, my N50,000 per month is guaranteed, but can’t have more. With my farm, N600,000 per year is not sure, but millions can be expected, depending on factors that cannot be accurately projected. Jarus, what do you think I should do?

http://www.jarushub.com/return-to-my-50kmonth-job-or-go-ahead-with-farming/
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by fflamingo(m): 6:43pm On Dec 17, 2013
[quote author=Jarus]I need your advice on something quite important. Three months ago, I was suspended from my job for a crime I am not guilty of (I suspect my boss does not want me and otehr accountants again; he suspended me and forced another accountant to resign). Since then, I have been carrying out a research on how to start and run a farm(palm tree, cassava, maize etc). I have even bought a hectare of land in a village close to my hometown in Kwara state for that purpose and secured more hectares on lease. All I am waiting for is teh season start (February/March).

I must tell you I am already feeling like a boss (lol), when, suddenly, I learnt after the investigations that my boss had been mandated to call me back and he has done that. The questions now are: should I go back? Am I strong enough to start my own now? Won’t I be better off being on my own? Wont he (my boss) organise a bigger trouble for me (since he was forced me back in the first place)? Now I am at crossroads. With the job, my N50,000 per month is guaranteed, but can’t have more. With my farm, N600,000 per year is not sure, but millions can be expected, depending on factors that cannot be accurately projected. Jarus, what do you think I should do?

http://www.jarushub.com/return-to-my-50kmonth-job-or-go-ahead-with-farming/[/quote

Firstly , you carried out a research. Second, you had the available resources(purchased land). Thirdly, you willing to secure another hectare on lease.
Who would you blame if in the next 2 year he sacked you again?
Would you blame your conscience for not taking the right decision?
When it is clearly written on the wall that you could start now.
And one more if you can't take calculated Risk pleae stay put in your job and die serving your boss rather to be your own BOSS.
Think please , do your feasibility study appropriately and I guarantee you 'the sky Is your limit'.

9 Likes

Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by nitrogen(m): 6:54pm On Dec 17, 2013
Please take the job back, and prepare extensively for the farming, you need a stable income before the farm yields, try and manage both, till you are solidified, don't be surprised that you will need part of that monthly income to make that farming successful.

Although, You need to consider some factors, for that up there to work, location of the job, is it the one that will help in accessing your farm at least once in a week?, logistics too, now your monthly income will help you out here (in terms of support), lastly, your risk appetite.

In all, I advise you to take your job back jare, and work towards the farming thing, a castle can never be built in a day! Don't mind them 'table and chair' entrepreneurs.

17 Likes

Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Stunner1(f): 7:02pm On Dec 17, 2013
nitrogen: Please take the job back, and prepare extensively for the farming, you need a stable income before the farm yields, try and manage both, till you are solidified, don't be surprised that you will need part of that monthly income to make that farming successful.

i lyk dis advice

3 Likes

Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by hasyak(m): 8:21pm On Dec 17, 2013
Face your farming squarely, forget the job, the 50k will be a distraction.

knowing that you have no option than to succeed, this will give you the added push you need.

Welcome to the entrepreneurs club.

7 Likes

Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by fflamingo(m): 8:59pm On Dec 17, 2013
Modified
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Pimples(m): 9:13pm On Dec 17, 2013
Did you know that before the information age, farming was the no 1 source of income in the world?
Even 2day there is a lot of money to be made in commercial farming.
Hence I'll advice u stick with the farming. Put your best in it. Network with other farmers to learn how to avoid pitfalls. Do not underestimate the power of prayer.
It is commonly said that when one door closes, another one opens...
So if u were suspended it was a warning that something worse could happen if u remain there....
The choice is yours ....... Slavery to a paycheck OR ....... The freedom of owning ur own business

2 Likes

Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by DisGuy: 12:11am On Dec 18, 2013
wait for farm to be making 600k per year before quiting your guaranteed job
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by baba11(m): 7:46am On Dec 18, 2013
I doubt if he has made research in the area of storage and preservation,if he hasn't done so,he needs it urgently to prevent wastage due to the inability to sell the farm produce on time.He needs to accept the job back and run the farm in parallel with it.He needs to have passion for what he's doing otherwise he might get disappointed out of it which i think is lacking here(i mean passion) and if he's thinking about the workload,definitely,employment of trustworthy fellow(s) is/are needed urgently!!!

2 Likes

Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Mustay(m): 11:26am On Dec 18, 2013
It's like you've answered your question yourself, you probably just want advises that will spur you more rather than deter you.

Based on your information, the job is not certain - it's still an uncertainty because the boss has only been 'mandated' and who.knows what other agendas lie in stock for your 'elimination' on return The farming seems more certain and the returns are financially more rewarding than the job. However what you need to consider are:

1. Passion: Are you really passionate about agric? It's one thing to like the outcomes of research and income but during rough times, will you fizzle out easily The true test of entrepreneurship is your willpower to persevere in bad times.

2. Finance: Will the accounting job or any other job be a source of finance going forward or can you go with agric independently? Do you want an additional source of income in the name of a job? This leads to the next:

3. Ability to multitask: Do you like this If yes, then you can combine your independent job and coy job together. Alternatively, diversification can be considered for 'off-seasons': even agbes (farmers) who practise substantive farming (in villages) consider this. They already know what to face when the season is 'off' and divest into other farm produce; it's more like a farming budget for year.

4. Know-how: You're an accountant venturing into agriculture judging from your post. Just like I mentioned passion, I'm a strong believer in continuous learning not limited to one's field. Will you learn more whilst on the job or would you rather learn more about this new field? Knowledge is interwoven and accountants do know business analysis etc - I believe whichever step you take, you can employ knowledge and apply it in both places.

Your job could help your venture further in terms of networking and improving on business processes. More people can get to know about this venture if you manage your clientele well.

Finally, if I were in your shoes, I'll manage both ends (multitask). I believe it's the best here irrespective of schools of thoughts who always want to make 'Be Your Own Boss' look like the ultimate - you can always manage both ends as an employee cum employer to be an experienced entrepreneur cool

PS: All advices were given based on presumptions and extent of information released by OP

8 Likes

Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by LoveKing(m): 1:31pm On Dec 18, 2013
Farming is a wonderful Business better than any paid job in the longrun.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by maclatunji: 5:10pm On Dec 18, 2013
Go with what your heart says but use your head to make it better. You can add low risk elements like snail-farming and rearing free-range chickens to the mix if you choose farming. I might learn from you someday.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Dec 18, 2013
Do the job but prepare the farm also. Also make contacts with the buyers of your produce. That 50k job is peanuts.

2 Likes

Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Dec 18, 2013
nitrogen: Please take the job back, and prepare extensively for the farming, you need a stable income before the farm yields, try and manage both, till you are solidified, don't be surprised that you will need part of that monthly income to make that farming successful.

Although, You need to consider some factors, for that up there to work, location of the job, is it the one that will help in accessing your farm at least once in a week?, logistics too, now your monthly income will help you out here (in terms id support), lastly, your risk appetite.

In all, I advise you to take your job back jare, and work towards the farming thing, a castle can never be built in a day! Don't mind them 'table and chair' entrepreneurs.

Here is your answer
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by ochallo: 6:10pm On Dec 18, 2013
i believe the only reason you were suspended is for you to go out and find your life calling. What you are experiencing now is the fear of the future and uncertainty at the beginning of a business and it is very normal. GO ahead head on with your business, if you think you may be cash strapped, then plan how long you are going to spend with the 50k job, still trying to ensure that you do not spend a day more ( you can even write your resignation letter and date it) and do not get into any trouble. Keep all your business dealings away from your boss and collegues. God would help you

I stlll think i should share my job offer post with you to understand the purpose of jobs and when to stay and move.

http://www.elijahforce..com/2013/03/job-offer-questions-to-ask-yourself.html

2 Likes

Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:13pm On Dec 18, 2013
Op, did this happen to you?
Are you the same Jarus that I saw on Channels TV?
Are you the same Jarus with bright ideas?
Last Bullet:
That farming biz is far better than the N50,000 monthly accounting job.
Though, it may not be easy from the start but it has a bright tomorrow.
How much is N50,000/month when I can start a farming biz that ll fetch me more money.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Sike(m): 6:14pm On Dec 18, 2013
Oga, Bone Farming and Hug your 50K.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by oladoya(m): 6:14pm On Dec 18, 2013
well i will call this two way success, it now depends on your discretion. I can bet you that your future vehemently depends on farming but your today depends on the salary. Take the salary and plan for massive future. I have spoken.

1 Like

Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by felixzo1(m): 6:21pm On Dec 18, 2013
the best advice i will give is,start farming now and quit your job latter when your farming start yeilding income you can quit your curent job.maize farming is profitable if you farm large, above 5 hectares. and this wil require best agriculture practice and methods,which you lack as a starter.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by pasholly: 6:23pm On Dec 18, 2013
My advice, take back your job, you will eventually leave it, but at your own terms, like other posters have stated, you need it to help your farming project on the side and to support yourself or family, if you have one presently, while you wait for the yield. Ultimately, seek counsel and do your own research.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by bigx(m): 6:23pm On Dec 18, 2013
Depends on his Risk Aversion and if he has a Family,

My principle in life is, whatever you don't focus on won't grow, so I'm not really a fan of on the side this and that,
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by powersunny: 6:26pm On Dec 18, 2013
I have learnt to allow people follow their mind, rather than putting them in my shoes. It can be difficult to give objective advice at times.
Back to the question. It is obvious that you job loss pushed you into considering farming, not that it was your first love. Did you discover new and exciting possibilities for your future when you researched the farming business? Did you at any point say thank God i was sacked? Can you withstand whatever comes your way in the farming business? Will you attempt a second time if you fail this time? In my opinion, 50k is not enough for you to forgo the possibility of being a rich farmer (Now i am doing what i dread most, putting you in my shoes but well i cant help it).

Mind you, i am not a business guru, but Nigeria is hungry and still need to be fed. The market demand can never be your problem, getting enough harvest from your farm will be your real challenge, which you can overcome if you have the right expertise around your farm.

My brother, whatever you choose, don't EVER fool yourself into believing you will run a farm from your 50k office job. You will loose both your money and your meagre job since you won't concentrate. You must choose one.

A farmer MUST live on his farm, love his poultry, or fish or animal as if they are his kids, understand the whispers and cry of his crops, read their sign languages when they are sick, and nurture them to maturity, or else, no show. If you won't stay on your farm and run it yourself, don't bother.

I hope you choose well. Good luck

12 Likes

Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by htconeline: 6:30pm On Dec 18, 2013
is this true....a graduate earn 5ok
wen ssce factory worker eaen 85k
whatvis happening to naija pay system.

1 Like

Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Sloan: 6:30pm On Dec 18, 2013
50K is not a lot of money at all! Did you compute how much you spend to make the 50K? If you add transportation, lunch break and other costs, how much does that come to in a month? Lets say it comes out to around 30K meaning your net profit is 20K, then you can determine how much your cash flow can support per month without that job. If lets say you have enough savings or support that can guarantee you 20 or 30 K living expenses for 12 months (or until farm is yielded some profit), then objectively you can stick with farming while adding to it aspects that may generate quicker returns. For example, palm trees are good but I am sure they take a few years to be ready for harvest. Just look for crops that can be grown within a year, as an educated man, accountant and farmer, look into preservation techniques! Also look into getting customers you can supply to in bulk. For example, you did not mention carrots but I have been wondering what it takes for farms to grow and supply fresh vegetables for salads and things in Nigeria? Not just efo and ewedu but other vegetables! A farm, any farm, that can grow and supply these things quite fresh can make quite a lot of money just chopping them up, packaging them and adding the salad cream! A small box of those sell anywhere from $ 5 - $ 7 here and can vary depending on the weight. I that is around N 750 - N 1050 and this something just a few pounds that can be eaten in a meal o! You can put all kinds of marketing around it like fresh vegetable salads give better nutrition, improved weight loss, can make stir fries, etc. If you sold even just 100 per day, that is a lot of money! I actually checked a brand just now and it is $15.41 per kg. A typical serving is 0.326kg and sells for $5.02. That is N2311.5 per kg @ $1 = N150. If you sold /supplied 100 per day, that is N231,150 per day and assuming it costs up to 75% of that to produce it all, you'd be making at least 25K per day on just only a single product! Anyways, do your calculations and see what you like to do!
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Ikengawo: 6:30pm On Dec 18, 2013
Jarus: I need your advice on something quite important. Three months ago, I was suspended from my job for a crime I am not guilty of (I suspect my boss does not want me and otehr accountants again; he suspended me and forced another accountant to resign). Since then, I have been carrying out a research on how to start and run a farm(palm tree, cassava, maize etc). I have even bought a hectare of land in a village close to my hometown in Kwara state for that purpose and secured more hectares on lease. All I am waiting for is teh season start (February/March).

http://www.jarushub.com/return-to-my-50kmonth-job-or-go-ahead-with-farming/

you have already witnessed the difference. When working for your boss, someone has the power to turn your income off and on like a light switch. Also, though you were comfortable and making great money, no boss is going to make their employee rich.

As a farmer, you're the boss. Outside of harvest and maintenance you to little to no work so you can take on several other jobs and businesses, and nobody can take your farm away from you. Most importantly, a farmer is superior to a businessman because when you own and use land, you create money. You're literally growing money out of the ground, so if something happens and you lose all the money you have saved, you just have to wait for your crops to harvest, for lease some land, or sell some, and you'll be right back.

agriculture is hot right now in Nigeria. My father is a commercial farmer and he says that not only people, but companies like Mr. Biggs and the major fast food chains will FIGHT to get contracts with you because they buy so much food.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Olanathy(m): 6:34pm On Dec 18, 2013
Take it or not be it that you earn a million naira or more in a month, as far as you are an employee, you are still a slave. The only way not to become a slave to no man is being your own boss. Lastly for you to have gotten a piece of land for yourself and also others as from the lease, it means you have gone far already, a little more attempt will cause the bush meats to start running elta skelta which means the hunter must become rich....
Abeg go start the farming.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Temismith(f): 6:34pm On Dec 18, 2013
Nna
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by datola: 6:36pm On Dec 18, 2013
Na wa o! Jarus posted another person's question.

Okiki_Oluwa: Op, did this happen to you?
Are you the same Jarus that I saw on Channels TV?
Are you the same Jarus with bright ideas?
Last Bullet:
That farming biz is far better than the N50,000 monthly accounting job.
Though, it may not be easy from the start but it has a bright tomorrow.
How much is N50,000/month when I can start a farming biz that ll fetch me more money.
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by maclatunji: 6:39pm On Dec 18, 2013
htconeline: is this true....a graduate earn 5ok
wen ssce factory worker eaen 85k
whatvis happening to naija pay system.

A factory worker works longer hours and is slowly killing himself with hard labour. An office worker may earn much lesser but he has the opportunity to progress, acquire management and leadership skills with the prospect of having promotion or becoming a successful entrepreneur with the knowledge and experience gathered over the years.

1 Like

Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by SLIDEwaxie(m): 6:51pm On Dec 18, 2013
First, lemme say 'congratulation'!!

Now, i am also a site engineer abt to start my own farming business next year wen the new planting season begins. We are starting with 10hectares in which we av already leased from the state govt!

U dnt need to quit ur job to be a farmer as u dnt need to be on farm everytime of the day. Infact, u might not visit the farm in 3weeks if all necessary steps are followed.

Keep ur job cos u will need it wen u need to pay people to do things on the farm for u that u can't be present. U might need to be apying some security officers who will be managing the farm more than half of ur salary...

So, once again, good luck!
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Walexz02(m): 7:08pm On Dec 18, 2013
why are many people here quick in advising the op to quit his job? would he be going to farm every day just because he is a farmer
@op, abeg go back for your 50k job and continue preparing for your farm.. to be sincere that is what people do now: find a paid job and at the sometime run your own farm. you don't need any one to advice you when it is time for you be your own boss.
since you have the desire of becoming a farmer please do your research well again and pursue your heart desires cool
Re: Farming Or Return To His 50k Per Month Job? by Deiok(m): 7:10pm On Dec 18, 2013
Continue your farming, so that you will be oga of yourself. And wont be suspended the second time. grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Questions To Ask Before You Join A Company! / Why Smart Work Minus Talent Equals An Average Career / 4 New Ways To Motivate Your Employees On Monday Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.