Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,591 members, 7,812,922 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:37 PM

Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others (12076 Views)

Was My Boss Right For Sacking Me Because I Was Hypotized. / Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? / 10 Professional Codes Of Conduct For Managers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by dre11(m): 12:25pm On Apr 15
Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others As President Tinubu Moves To ‘Overhaul’ Agencies

Chief executives of some Nigerian government agencies including the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Nigerian Correctional Service (NCS), Code of Conduct Bureau, Public Complaints Commission, National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), and the Legal Aid Council are reportedly anxious over moves by President Bola Tinubu’s administration to overhaul the agencies.

This is part of plans for the justice sector reform, multiple sources told SaharaReporters.

It was gathered that some of them would be sacked while others would be retained or moved to other agencies.

The wave of reforms may be also extended to the Supreme Court, Courts of Appeal and High Courts.

SaharaReporters learnt that the reforms may take effect after the National Summit on Justice to be held later in the month.

The Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN) last Thursday in Abuja said President Tinubu would on April 24, 2024, declare Nigeria’s justice sector reform summit open.

According to him, the reforms were in line with the agenda of Tinubu to protect the rights of the citizens, allow access to justice and ensure speedy dispensation of justice.

Most of the heads of the agencies who suspect that they would be affected are reportedly apprehensive over the planned overhaul.

The country’s justice system is currently fraught with delays in the adjudication of cases.

Many criminal cases involving politically exposed persons like former governors and ministers linger in courts for upward of five to 10 years before they are disposed of.

Multiple sources told SaharaReporters that the government has been uncomfortable with the NDLEA, PCC, NHRC and the correctional service, which underewent reforms under the administrations of the late President Umaru Yar'Adua and ex-President Goodluck Jonathan.

One of the sources specifically identified NDLEA as one of the main agencies to be affected because it is a “strategic agency.”

“Apart from the low rate of prosecution of suspects, there was rumpus recently in the NDLEA on alleged lopsidedness in the promotion of workers, and irregularities in rank assignments and regularisation.

“There was also tension on the purported reappointment of the secretary of the NDLEA, Shadrak Usman Haruna, for a second term in office,” one of the sources said.

“Despite the rating of the performance of the NDLEA Chairman, Gen. Buba Marwa above average by stakeholders and international partners, the Tinubu administration discovered that the former Military Administrator of Lagos State appears a lone ranger.

"NDLEA bureaucracy is stinking for a meaningful war against drugs," the source in the presidency said.

But according to findings, Marwa might be given an ambassadorial appointment given his track record as a defence attache.

The likelihood of the restructuring of NDLEA has reportedly made Marwa to begin moves to save his job.
"Marwa is also battling to stay on the job, at least to complete his tenure," one of the sources said.

“Given his devotion to the Rule of Law, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu is interested in Justice Sector Reform. He was a pacesetter in Lagos, he will also reform the sector at the national level.

"The overall objective is to enhance the Rule of Law, uphold the sanctity of fundamental human rights, ensure equal access to justice and speedy dispensation of cases.

"Issues in the sector are around the judiciary, the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCS), the Code of Conduct Bureau, the Public Complaints Commission, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), and the Legal Aid Council among others.

"In fact, the low prosecution of drug suspects by NDLEA is worrisome to the government. In the 29 months of Marwa's tenure, NDLEA arrested 31, 675 drug offenders out of which 5,147 were prosecuted and convicted.

"The drug trafficking bust is increasing compared to the low number of prosecutions and convictions. NDLEA needs a drastic reform. The agency's bureaucracy is not giving adequate backup.

"There are a lot of matters coming up, including the tension over the reappointment of the agency's secretary and promotion lopsidedness.”

On the fate of Marwa, another source added, “I think he is being considered for a strategic ambassadorial appointment.

"The Justice Sector Reform is really not about individuals; it is about putting the right institutions in place to become sustainable.

"All the courts will undergo the reform too. The number of cases pending in the Supreme Court is alarming too. We need to decongestant the place."

Last week, SaharaReporters reported how some NDLEA officers raised an alarm and accused the agency of lopsidedness in the promotion of workers, and irregularities in rank assignments and regularisation.

The aggrieved officers alleged that while the names of certain officers had been released for promotion examinations, including those who were recruited at the same time with them, the names of Course 3 and 4 officers had not been included in the process.

According to them, the omission of their names in the promotion examinations list has left them deeply troubled and raises serious questions about the fairness and transparency of the promotion process.

They further accused NDLEA authorities of discriminatory practices in the recruitment and rank assignment processes.

The officer said that many officers, including Course 3 and 4 officers, who applied with degree qualifications were “unjustly” recruited as junior officers while others were short-changed with one rank each.

https://saharareporters.com/2024/04/08/officers-nigerias-anti-narcotic-agency-ndlea-allege-lopsidedness-promotion-process

Nigeria’s Attorney General last Thursday spoke on the forthcoming National Summit on Justice.

Addressing the press on one of the summit’s goals, Fagbemi said it was to “review, validate, and adopt the revised National Policy on Justice 2024 - 2028 to drive prison reforms, access to justice for the average Nigerian, as well as the review of electoral laws and procedures in handling election-related cases, among several other reforms".

He said, “This comprehensive policy document outlines a broad framework and initiatives in 17 thematic areas aimed at

reforming the justice sector to enhance its effectiveness and accessibility to all Nigerians, ensuring that justice is not just a privilege for the few, but a right for all.

“The policy aims to address various challenges within the legal framework, seeking to promote social cohesion, bolster economic development, and foster good governance.”

He added that the summit will deliberate on draft legislation proposed to address specific challenges within the justice sector, relating to the judicial appointments process, administration, funding and budgeting for the judiciary, and the elimination of delays and inefficiencies in justice delivery.

It will equally evolve ways to reduce the amount of time for adjudication of cases, eliminate some of the associated technicalities, and reduce the number of cases getting to the Supreme Court.

He said, “In this regard, we intend to look at a situation where many cases will terminate at the Court of Appeal to reduce the burden on our noble justices of the Supreme Court.

“These proposed laws are expected to serve as a catalyst for collective action and provide a guiding framework for relevant governmental institutions at both the national and sub-national levels to establish an effective, efficient, and people-centred justice system.

"The country cannot afford to remain complacent in the face of the obstacles impeding the efficient delivery of justice for all Nigerians. The Summit will present an opportunity for us to unite our efforts, leverage our collective expertise, and chart a course toward a more just and equitable society.”

Fagbemi also expressed the hope that the national summit on justice will usher in a new era of positive change and progress in the country’s justice sector, ensuring a fair, accessible, and efficient legal system that upholds the rule of law while safeguarding fundamental human rights.

https://saharareporters.com/2024/04/14/exclusive-fear-sacking-hits-ndlea-code-conduct-bureau-others-president-tinubu-moves

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by Hez143(m): 12:35pm On Apr 15
the renewed hope is here, we'll get it right little by little.
btw am FTC lala my aza dey my signature!!

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by RenaissanceGuy: 12:36pm On Apr 15
CCB and CCT should be scrapped. EFCC and the conventional courts are already doing their work.

12 Likes

Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by AqualinaXYZ: 12:37pm On Apr 15
Nobody gaslight others like certificate forgers

Ritualists no dey like make person carry knife pass their back

Imagine studying to PHD in a prestigious school only to be sacked by a Guinea fowl

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by shortgun(m): 12:58pm On Apr 15
RenaissanceGuy:
CCB and CCT should be scrapped. EFCC is already doing their work.
Some of you will just open mouth waaa to comment on things you know nothing about.
CCT that is a court will be scrapped and replaced with EFCC. angry

8 Likes

Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by youngrhosy(m): 1:09pm On Apr 15
Jagaban

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by xpressionx(m): 1:10pm On Apr 15
NDLEA are ineffective.

Anywhere 5 young aboki Dem dey always gather, I can bet anything, they sell drugs there, are they not aware?

There is a place in nyanyan Abuja that the sell drugs openly in broad day light, not very far from the city centre, des NDLEA want to claim they don't see or know there?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by CrossRhodes: 1:11pm On Apr 15
shortgun:

Some of you will just open mouth waaa to comment on things you know nothing about.
😂
Ebinpawa don chop em brain matter

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by omoredia: 1:44pm On Apr 15
What a fool leads the nation bleeds!
Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by Ejiakusmith(m): 1:57pm On Apr 15
Tinibu 💊 and his sweet mouth government I will never believe this man until Dollar 💰 get back to #276 where Jonathan left it
Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by CountinBlessins(m): 1:58pm On Apr 15
RenaissanceGuy:
CCB and CCT should be scrapped. EFCC is already doing their work.

I agree with you 100% and NIA should be merged with DSS . NIA is redundant and just a luxury agency .

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by Krankhead: 2:03pm On Apr 15
shortgun:

Dont mind the guy he is an obidient. They only comment without thinking

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by COMPAQ(m): 2:08pm On Apr 15
dre11:
Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others As President Tinubu Moves To ‘Overhaul’ Agencies

https://saharareporters.com/2024/04/14/exclusive-fear-sacking-hits-ndlea-code-conduct-bureau-others-president-tinubu-moves

NDLEA should stay
Code of conduct should go
Public complaints comission should go

2 Likes

Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by Timmi: 2:21pm On Apr 15
omoredia:
What a fool leads the nation bleeds!

And that is why your household and village people wail and bleeds. You just started.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by Timmi: 2:22pm On Apr 15
Ejiakusmith:
Tinibu 💊 and his sweet mouth government I will never believe this man until Dollar 💰 get back to #276 where Jonathan left it

Then why don't you go back to the Jonathan years and stay there, enemy of progress.

1 Like

Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by legendarystar: 2:27pm On Apr 15
grin
Lol
Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by frog12: 3:47pm On Apr 15
so we have a Public Complaints Commission. when there is FCCPC.
what has this PCC even done before
Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by gloryman91: 3:49pm On Apr 15
How FRSC want to escape this merger and reforms in civil service ?

Impossibility.
Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by Makamatic: 4:11pm On Apr 15
May then ban this ndlea make I sell my weed in peace . I been done leave community enter town go they sell my Oja . if ndlea commot now , I done enter State capital to the sell my Oja well o 🤪 .

1 Like

Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by johngwain: 4:11pm On Apr 15
E be like say marwa dey disturb tulumbu boys, that's why he has to go. Marwa go soon learn the hard way...

1 Like

Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by commoditiesnig: 4:26pm On Apr 15
I think some Agencies will be scrapped/merged into other agencies to reduce overhead
Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by AcadaWriter: 5:14pm On Apr 15
politician
Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by Jayhome24: 6:06pm On Apr 15
AqualinaXYZ:
Nobody gaslight others like certificate forgers

Ritualists no dey like make person carry knife pass their back

Imagine studying to PH in a prestigious school only to be sacked by a Guinea fowl

People like you are too funny I swear, I always wondering where has your brain gone to?

You are talking about cerficate forgery I put it to you below statements and I need your answers ASAP:

Can you tell Obi to pls release that UNN degree he claimed he had? Ask obi to tell you and your fellow confused pain in the a s s obidients where in Nigeria University issue "Degree Certificate with Sunday date" that is the date in your Obi certificate and and yet to you and your confused pain in te a s s that is not forgery

Atiku is in my party he claimed he have "degrees" till date we have be asking for the Copies of the "degrees" till today he refused. Pls if truly those "degrees" are not forgery why hidding it, why too scare to provide itt to public?

I put it to you Mr Chinua Achebe with correct certificate can you kindly show us your own certificate and lets see it if you are sure of yourself?
Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by Hopez456(m): 8:20pm On Apr 15
Buba Marwa should not be made redundant with the ambassadorial post. His energy and efficiency should be well utilised in other agencies like NERC among many others
Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by Melagros(m): 11:15pm On Apr 15
CountinBlessins:

I agree with you 100% and NIA should be merged with DSS . NIA is redundant and just a luxury agency .
I agree with you on NIA
Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by funshint(m): 12:07am On Apr 16
Now Nigeria has an "Attorney General". Kudos to Lateef Fagbemi. Malami should be in jail by now!
Re: Fear Of Sacking Hits NDLEA, Code Of Conduct Bureau, Others by Ejiakusmith(m): 4:52am On Apr 16
You no go use your brain 🧠🧠 abi ....... Which one be enemy of progress ...... If truly his working let price of food stuff come back to normal

Timmi:

Then why don't you go back to the Jonathan years and stay there, enemy of progress.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Deal With An Incompetent Boss / 9 Undeniable Facts About Working In A Nigerian Office By Nkem Ndem / Obiano Raises Anambra Workers’ Salaries By 15 Per Cent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.