Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,460 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:41 PM

Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. (13234 Views)

Sony Suggests That In 2017 Will Reach Double Lens Cameras To Smartphones / Old Popular Nokia Mobile Game "Snake Classic" Returns To Smartphones After 18yrs / The Most Surprisingly Gorgeous Smartphone We’ve Seen Is Now On Sale In The U.S. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by rodeo0070(m): 5:58pm On Dec 17, 2013
1. Memorizing phone numbers

It was a hassle remembering numbers. Now we simply add them to our contacts list. That usually works well unless our device is lost, stolen, or damaged. No one can be expected to remember all their contact numbers. What we can do is memorize 5 of our most important contact numbers. This should include a mixture of family, friends and business. If you’re really ambitious you can memorize 5 contacts for each category.

2. Map reading skills

The convenience and effectiveness of GPS guidance systems and digital maps generated by search engines is undeniable. They’ve definitely made our lives easier. What we don’t get from using these devices and applications are the increased ability to understand spatial orientation, representative symbolism, and navigation. To renew or acquire those skills, try using physical maps to plan your next trek. Whether it’s a long or short trip, take time to stop and safely chart your progress. After a few excursions, you’ll be pleasantly surprised with how efficient a tactile map can be.

3. Photography

Even amateur photography required a rudimentary learning curve about lighting, depth, and composition. This was true for analog and digital photography. Most smart phone camera’s automatically make these adjustments. We no longer have to learn the art of photography. On most devices, this is easily rectified by turning off the automatic settings. Experiment with manually setting the scene modes, lighting, and zoom.

4. Fact checking

Reference books and encyclopedias were once the gold standard for finding reference information. They provided peer reviewed and fact checked data on a vast array of subjects. They just aren’t as convenient and rapidly updated as search engines, digital reference materials, and databases. That said, the results of information derived from digital sources aren’t always reliable. Their information is limited by the review process. No one wants to be embarrassed by regurgitating false information. It’s taken time, but most people now realize that wiki retrieved data comes with a caveat. To make certain you’re disseminating factual information, make an effort to strictly utilize reputable and reliable sources.

5. Reading comprehension

The primary culprits are E-readers. They’re convenient and can store thousands of books. There’s also evidence that their format makes it more difficult for users to retain and recall information they just read. Don’t worry, there’s no need to give up your e-reader! What we should do is make an effort to read printed books. This will be especially helpful when perusing information we need for academic or career purposes.

6. Hand written correspondence

Writing letters and notes incorporated hand writing skills, organizational skills, and learning about the person or persons you correspond with. This is another easily regained skill. Send a letter to an old friend, relative or acquaintance. If you’re truly feeling adventurous, join a pen pal club!

7. Conversations

This one may seem counter-intuitive, especially considering how many people have smart phones, but it’s true! We actually use email and texts far more than we talk. It’s more prevalent among certain demographics, but it touches them all. The solution is self explanatory: take time make phone calls.

8. Currency

Using coins and paper money requires fast arithmetic and accurate calculations. Sure debit cards are often more practical, but cash has its benefits. In addition keeping our calculating skills sharp, cash can actually be safer to use than debit cards. Use cash for purchases under ten dollars. While ostensibly debit cards are safer, they’re are susceptible to fraudulent practices such as skimming. This often happens at locations where make quick, low dollar transactions. If you inadvertently lose a small amount of cash you’re not going to be too upset. On the hand, if your debit card is compromised it could become a true fiasco.

9. Walking

Distracted walking detracts from the observations and experience of walking. It can also be dangerous. Accidents can easily occur when we become immersed in text messages. An easy solution is to set observation goals for each trip. If it’s a routine walking commute, make a game of noting the changes, no matter how subtle, on your commute.

10. Expanding our knowledge base

The convenience of nearly instantaneous information can easily become a crutch. If we’re not knowledgeable about certain subjects such as physics, politics, or music we know we can look it up online. That’s not necessarily a negative. What’s problematic is that we often look up and recite the information, but don’t actually absorb it. It may seem daunting, but this is arguably the easiest skill to revitalize. Whenever you reference an unfamiliar subject take time to actually learn the information.

Have you ever noticed that some people are able to effortlessly remember even the most mundane details, and quickly comprehend new things, and wished that you too could be like that?

SOURCE: LIFEHACK.

9 Likes

Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by Kingtim(m): 6:03pm On Dec 17, 2013
So u mean i made it?.. Crying tears of joy.. Ftc In case this made front page. My name is ikpedia timothy aka kingtim,. I'm not a nobody cheesy

17 Likes

Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by biomedixexcel(m): 6:35pm On Dec 17, 2013
Very true but that's called advanced technology
Plus; I don't need to write all my contacts somewhere cos I can easily back it up online or memory card
I made it! First to comment! Where is the prize for it?

So no prize........ Mtcheew! And people always happy when they were first to comment. Wasting of time

2 Likes

Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by femi4: 7:30pm On Dec 17, 2013
I get any info on the go!
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by emalek86(m): 8:05pm On Dec 17, 2013
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by physise(m): 9:17pm On Dec 17, 2013
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by krugar07(m): 10:28pm On Dec 17, 2013
^^^^ why . ?
Kingtim: So u mean i made it?.. Crying tears of joy.. Ftc In case this made front page. My name is ikpedia timothy aka kingtim,. I'm a nobody cheesy
what is dis one saying ??
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by OCcool: 10:47pm On Dec 17, 2013
so far na rodeo open this thread, it must make front page. Space booked.

2 Likes

Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by Nobody: 10:57pm On Dec 17, 2013
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by fr3do(m): 11:21pm On Dec 17, 2013
ok
next
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by luvlyoracle(m): 8:35am On Dec 18, 2013
vdgfrvjxfgb
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by Osyxcel(m): 9:15am On Dec 18, 2013
^^^^grin grin What is going on on this thread? cheesy
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by Osyxcel(m): 9:20am On Dec 18, 2013
1. Why should I memorize phone numbers that might probably get changed tomorrow? undecided

2. Why should I bother about map reading skills when I'm not constantly on an expedition? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by UchihaItachi(m): 11:34am On Dec 18, 2013
True, I think I'm a victim of number 6, I'm beginning to find it hard to spell words correctly embarassed
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by UchihaItachi(m): 11:41am On Dec 18, 2013
Osyxcel: ^^^^grin grin What is going on on this thread? cheesy

Space-booking cheesy
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by krugar07(m): 12:04pm On Dec 18, 2013
emalek86: .
physise: .
Uchiha Itachi:

Space-booking cheesy
grin grin

1 Like

Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by Warlord3000(m): 12:24pm On Dec 18, 2013
in martin Luther's voice..." I have a dream... that the mods are taking this thread straight to front page".. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by Femistico(m): 2:02pm On Dec 18, 2013
it make sense...in case it makes fp
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by Nobody: 3:58pm On Dec 18, 2013
front page calling

Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by Andrew3(m): 4:02pm On Dec 18, 2013
Running to my uncle's house to inform him food is ready in my house. wink wink
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by geesilver(m): 4:02pm On Dec 18, 2013
A
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by Lilimax(f): 4:04pm On Dec 18, 2013
Are you saying that Smart Phones have done more harm than good undecided?
Not!

Nice write up though wink

1 Like

Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by Nobody: 4:06pm On Dec 18, 2013
A
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by mitey(m): 4:08pm On Dec 18, 2013
Talking, like human beings either in person or by call.

Gaddemnit! Stop asking me for my BBM pin/WhatsApp/2go/twitter/FB/G+/IG angry angry angry
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by Nobody: 4:08pm On Dec 18, 2013
I can see dat u don't use a smartphone. these babies are meant to make stuff like dat easier. y do u use cars wen u can just walk abt, y buy batteries wen u can just make 1? fact is, smartphone makes life easier
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by Nobody: 4:14pm On Dec 18, 2013
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by GentleFrank(m): 4:15pm On Dec 18, 2013
Good !
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by blakky97(m): 4:18pm On Dec 18, 2013
TOASTING

Young boys in the past developed enough guts, balls, nerves, hardy-hood, to walk up to a lady and make friends request as against the current trend of sheltering behind the walls provided by bbm, whassap, facebook, and other social network. Now I read enteries from men on hookup sites like " I am a 26 years old MAN in need of a 23years old girl for serious relationship, she can reach me via bb on 30ef4ca2" and I'm like- WHARRT She should reach you? Oh no! What happened to the good old toasting letter days? Why not approach a girl and go like- "wattup sweetie? How's life treating you? Good? You see, you've got a smile that only a fool can forget, and a....." . And so on and so forth.

1 Like

Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by Nobody: 4:20pm On Dec 18, 2013
WAEC,NECO& JAMB are the skills we've lost and the ways to get them back are simple! READING AND NOT ADDICTION TO SMARTPHONES
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by Olugbenger(m): 4:24pm On Dec 18, 2013
undecided
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by rexbuton: 4:24pm On Dec 18, 2013
Guilty of none
Re: Skills We’ve Lost Due To Smartphones & Ways To Get Them Back. by Ruq: 4:38pm On Dec 18, 2013
Even over the phone intimacy.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Easy Way To Recharge Your PHCN Prepaid Meter Online Without Visiting The Bank / Infinix Hot Review! / Infinix Zero 3 (X552) Discussion Thread - #HERO3LOGY

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.