Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,964 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:31 AM

Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga (11028 Views)

How Do I Become A Paga Agent/ Mobile Money Agent / Help - How Do I Claim My Fund From Quickteller Incomplete Transaction. / Any Experience With Interswitch's Quickteller (www.quickteller.com.ng)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by halimat1985(f): 4:48pm On Dec 19, 2013
I got a mail from Stanbic IBTC Bank that they have suspended the use of their MasterCard on some ecommerce websites. (See attached image)

It appears the sites listed are the giants, movers and shakers of Nigeria’s eCommerce. Among the sites on the list are www.jumia.com, www.voguepay.com, www.quickteller.com, www.bet365.com, www.pagatech.com and www.naijatopup.com.

I perceive that these sites were targeted. What kind of system upgrade is Stanbic IBTC doing that they know the exact sites to suspend from accepting their cards without suspending the others? Stanbic has not accused these sites of any wrongdoing, they were just selected for suspension based on a criteria that is "Stanbic Classified".

The big questions are;
We can still use our stanbic cards on foreign websites but some local ones are suspended. Why?

Where is the cashless Nigeria headed if Nigerian sites are being blacklisted by a South African bank and the cards still work on South African websites?

Was Jumia banned because Konga(A major competitor) is owned by Naspers, a south African company?

Were Voguepay, Paga and Quickteller (The biggest payment processors) suspended because Naspers(A south african investor) is planning on starting a payment processor in Nigeria after failing to acquire some local payment processors in Mid 2013?

Is stanbic IBTC bank targeting competitors of south African brands in Nigeria?

If the stanbic people are here, I would like an explanation because some of the banned businesses I contacted claimed they have never been accused of any wrongdoing by stanbic in the past and they were not notified before their suspension.

3 Likes

Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by NosoChic: 4:52pm On Dec 19, 2013
SPACE RESERVED grin
Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by mitey(m): 5:20pm On Dec 19, 2013
What am I doing in Stanbic when there is GTBank??

If they like they should cancel their MasterCard completely.

22 Likes

Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by JummyBy: 5:41pm On Dec 19, 2013
It is a shame that this is coming from Stanbic bank. How did they know the exact sites that will be affected by their upgrade? And we have lawmakers in this country? Could Stanbic be doing this to promote their own unpopular and expensive payment processing system?

I support your points about Naspers, or why did stanbic say "However, please note that you can still use your card on other LOCAL merchant sites." They definitely know the LOCAL merchant sites that are growing too big for them.

Abeg make dem disappear joor! GTBank is better than stanbic anyday!
The lawmakers better do something about this attempt to frustrate our big indigenous companies. Can this happen in South Africa where stanbic came from?

4 Likes

Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by Doggyjohnson: 6:17pm On Dec 19, 2013
Hmmmmmmm. All these foreign companies want to milk everything in this country with no regards for other fast growing local tech companies. And the Government don't even care about protecting the local firms. How can stanbic Bank suspend the biggest Nigeria tech companies (with most secured and robust platforms) for "supposedly" security concerns, and yet they are encouraging their customers to continue using their cards with less secured site? Do STANBIC Bank think that they are trading in a BANANA REPUBLIC? Can a big Nigerian brands like VoguePay or Glo do the same thing to STANBIC or MTN in South Africa?

1 Like

Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by naijacutee(f): 8:03pm On Dec 19, 2013
I'm confused. I appreciate it's easy to get sentimental, but lets focus on the e-mail. Stanbic simply says that customers cards are suspended temporarily due to security upgrades. What about this translates to an attack? In a market with several competitors, would it be better for businesses to have several options for the same service? If one chooses the Christmas season to implement upgrades, then it's only fair that other players should take all the business due to poor planning. Jumia etc and any doing business in Nigeria should have learnt by now that it's always a fatal error to rely on only one provider for any service, without any back up should things go wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by haibe(m): 8:44am On Dec 20, 2013
its wrong
Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:45am On Dec 20, 2013
Stanbic bank is the most foolish bank in Nigeria, I was shell shocked at rhe amount they pay their CEO yet their services are so horrible. Why won't it be when they pay contract staff who are 80% of their workforce 25k monthly?

Rubbish bank Jumia and Quickteller won't miss them!

4 Likes

Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by dadebayo1(m): 8:46am On Dec 20, 2013
Wetin consign agbero with overload
Make I leave mata for mathias..
Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by 5alive(m): 8:49am On Dec 20, 2013
Did i make first page?
Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by Dhelake: 8:52am On Dec 20, 2013
Port go another bank... there is a handful of them out there
Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by mikael78: 8:58am On Dec 20, 2013
Let them GO n DIE!!

2 Likes

Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by Nobody: 8:58am On Dec 20, 2013
Stanbic IBTC of all banks . Mtchew, if I was using the bank, that same day I would open an account in another bank.

When there's first bank, gtb and diamond bank. Its like using MTN when there's etisalat, south-african businesses in Nigeria needs to be closely monitored.

*imagine an European or US bank banning ebay, amazon, paypal and so on* - Suicide.

3 Likes

Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by usbcable(m): 8:59am On Dec 20, 2013
@OP,

the mail said suspended.

it will be restored when they all sort themselves out

1 Like

Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by Bootybuttchic(f): 9:03am On Dec 20, 2013
ShuoOooo shocked

Space booked actually grin
Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by ifoundmyperfect: 9:06am On Dec 20, 2013
Shey Stanbic Seize una money?

What is so hard in closing down the account and opening a new one?

Why will i wana bank with a STATIC STANBIC bank when there is a bank that gives me the much needed GUARANTEE and TRUST that i need?

[size=20pt]#TeamGTB[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by zangiff(m): 9:08am On Dec 20, 2013
crazy things on board niyen
Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by romzyxy(m): 9:08am On Dec 20, 2013
mitey: What am I doing in Stanbic when there is GTBank??

ℓ tire o
Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by mbulela: 9:10am On Dec 20, 2013
All these. Xenophobic hysteria are a bit worrying. Stanbic has very little traction relative to other card issuers. If they are the only card issuers Naspers are banking on, then they are dead on arrival. Since they said the suspension is temporary,why not give it a shot while before hyperventilating?
Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by klas(m): 9:10am On Dec 20, 2013
Let us cut down on sentiments. For God sake, Stanbic is not firstbank, or uba, not even skyebank. How many customers do they have and what proportion of those customers transact business with the suspended organizations by using Stanbic card?

So, what will Stanbic try to achieve when it is not even the first choice bank of many Nigerians?

Mind u, in the case of quickteller, it is only airtime topup that is suspended not even the major service of quickteller.

Gtb once suspended using their ATM (machine not card) to settle quickteller payments. I don't even think they ever restore that service till now yet we didn't accuse them of improper business behavior.

1 Like

Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by romzyxy(m): 9:11am On Dec 20, 2013
halimat1985: I got a mail from Stanbic IBTC Bank that they have suspended the use of their MasterCard on some ecommerce websites. (See attached image)

It appears the sites listed are the giants, movers and shakers of Nigeria’s eCommerce. Among the sites on the list are www.jumia.com, www.voguepay.com, www.quickteller.com, www.bet365.com, www.pagatech.com and www.naijatopup.com.

I perceive that these sites were targeted. What kind of system upgrade is Stanbic IBTC doing that they know the exact sites to suspend from accepting their cards without suspending the others? Stanbic has not accused these sites of any wrongdoing, they were just selected for suspension based on a criteria that is "Stanbic Classified".

The big questions are;
We can still use our stanbic cards on foreign websites but some local ones are suspended. Why?

Where is the cashless Nigeria headed if Nigerian sites are being blacklisted by a South African bank and the cards still work on South African websites?

Was Jumia banned because Konga(A major competitor) is owned by Naspers, a south African company?

Were Voguepay, Paga and Quickteller (The biggest payment processors) suspended because Naspers(A south african investor) is planning on starting a payment processor in Nigeria after failing to acquire some local payment processors in Mid 2013?

If the stanbic people are here, I would like an explanation because some of the banned businesses I contacted claimed they have never been accused of any wrongdoing by stanbic in the past and they were not notified before their suspension.

No need cos υ D̶̲̥̅̊ reason is known 2 υ.
Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by romzyxy(m): 9:14am On Dec 20, 2013
halimat1985: I got a mail from Stanbic IBTC Bank that they have suspended the use of their MasterCard on some ecommerce websites. (See attached image)

The big questions are;

No need cos D̶̲̥̅̊ reason they were supspended is written in the above post.shikenah....
Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by brown4859: 9:15am On Dec 20, 2013
THIS IS WHAT HAPPEN WHEN YOU DO NOT CARE ABOUT SCAM ON YOUR SITE.
Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by Olugbenger(m): 9:17am On Dec 20, 2013
undecided
Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by Nehemiah459(m): 9:19am On Dec 20, 2013
Instead of banking with Stanbic I dump all my money in Micro Finance Bank.
Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by Nobody: 9:23am On Dec 20, 2013

I wonder!
Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by curiouslad(m): 9:34am On Dec 20, 2013
They have refused to implement the OTP like other forward thinking banks and Scammers have made their customers a target!
After much complaints these idiots are taking it away completely instead fixing it!! Idiotas!!!

Fidelity is next!!!
Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by thiefnubu(m): 9:35am On Dec 20, 2013
Just passing...* looks into thread*...e no concern me o...* team GTBANK!!*
Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by Danchito: 9:39am On Dec 20, 2013

Yes oooh...GTB 4 life...naija best bank ever in terms of online biz and customer service
Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by usbcable(m): 9:53am On Dec 20, 2013
klas: Let us cut down on sentiments. For God sake, Stanbic is not firstbank, or uba, not even skyebank. How many customers do they have and what proportion of those customers transact business with the suspended organizations by using Stanbic card?

So, what will Stanbic try to achieve when it is not even the first choice bank of many Nigerians?

Mind u, in the case of quickteller, it is only airtime topup that is suspended not even the major service of quickteller.

Gtb once suspended using their ATM (machine not card) to settle quickteller payments. I don't even think they ever restore that service till now yet we didn't accuse them of improper business behavior.

its yet to be restored.
Re: Stanbic Bank Attacks Nigerias Ecommerce Sites Jumia, Quickteller, Voguepay, Paga by Nobody: 10:14am On Dec 20, 2013
My guy stop complaining, go get a matercard from GTB, Zenith or visa card from access bank chikena.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

-- / How I Registered My Private Limited Liability Company With Cac Online With 40k / Entrepreneurship In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.