Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,017 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? (14034 Views)

Car With 3 Tyres Spotted In Sango Ogun State. Photos And Video / ASWMA Vehicle Spotted With Two Of Its Tyres Missing (photos) / PHOTO: Fully Loaded Cement Truck Spotted Cruising At Lekki With Tyres Missing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by MDCEO1: 2:49pm On Dec 20, 2013
I just got a registered Nissan Altima 2003 a few days ago.
Today I noticed that one of the the tyres (drivers side front tyre) went flat and is completely bad. I changed it to the spare and decided to look closely at all the other tyres.
To my amazement, i found that all the other 3 remaining tyres had different sizes.
The sizes are-
235-50-18
245-50-18
255-40-18.

Meanwhile, i checked the car user manual i downloaded online, and found that the recommended tyre size was 205-65-R16.

Is there any immediate danger in driving them as they are now?
I'm asking because i'm really hard pressed for cash this Christmas season with so many other things to do simultaneously. I'll prefer deferring changing all 4 tyres till sometime in January when there'll be more cash liquidity for me.
For now, i can only really afford to buy one tyre to replace the single one that went bad.
What size should i buy now with the multiple sizes I already have on the other 3 tyres.
What do you advise?
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by icemann(m): 3:16pm On Dec 20, 2013
What is the size of the 4th tire? Also the Trim and engine size of your car?
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by MDCEO1: 3:43pm On Dec 20, 2013
icemann: What is the size of the 4th tire? Also the Trim and engine size of your car?
The 4th tyre is the spare tyre i fixed in place of the spoilt driver's side tyre, and its only a temporary one meant to take me to where I can get a definitive standard tyre.
The size is T135/90 D16.
Engine size and trim is 2.5 S.
Thanks.
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by icemann(m): 5:10pm On Dec 20, 2013
Dude you need to buy 4 tires. They all have different thickness from my calculation. A similar analogy is trying to put up a table with 4 different leg lengths, not so stable i guess, then imagine the instability on high speed. similar size tires on the same axle is a lot better than what you are having now.

235-50-18 means 235 mm tire width and 50% of 235 mm as the tire wall height (from rim edge to tire surface) and 18 inch rims

Do the calculation for all 3 tires and you would see what i mean.

1 Like

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by nissparts(m): 8:23pm On Dec 20, 2013
You dont only need 4 tires, you need 4 new rims.
Size 18 rim for your vehicle will kill your fuel economy. You can expect to be quite regular at the fuel station.
Also, the difference between the cost for a size 16 tire and a size 18 tire is quite significant as you will soon find out.
You see what I told you about Nigerian maintenance?

1 Like

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Lexusgs430: 4:48am On Dec 21, 2013
nissparts: You dont only need 4 tires, you need 4 new rims.
Size 18 rim for your vehicle will kill your fuel economy. You can expect to be quite regular at the fuel station.
Also, the difference between the cost for a size 16 tire and a size 18 tire is quite significant as you will soon find out.

Size 18 alloys wheels will kill fuel economy ? What about the beauty the 18' alloys adds to the feet of the vehicle? I run 225/40/18 on the rear (both sides I hasten to add) and 215/35/18 on both front. Makes the ride @ high speed more stable !!!!!
The deep dish 18' split alloys always tempts me to wash them and bring out the shine, forget fuel economy and look beautiful !!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Lexusgs430: 4:55am On Dec 21, 2013
@ poster - By the time your vehicle does not stop when its meant to, due to inbalance of your wheels and vehicle starts to limp (like it has polio disease). You will not only have the cost of tyres to think about + also possibly body work to your vehicle and probably the other vehicle !!!!
Save kobo @ the first instance than spending Naira @ the other- end !!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Nobody: 6:47am On Dec 21, 2013
For driving a car with 3 different tyre specs I'm soooo sure your vulcanizer even pumped the tyres over pressure "oga na 40 be the normal tyre pressure" by the way, how much do you spend on fuel (what's your current MPG) I know your MPG is way low. I can imagine how the car will squat to one side and how unstable, harsh and unforgiving that ride will be. How about your wheel arches, tyre wells and mud flaps (inner sand protector) and the other little components that are located where your tyes are. You're putting those places under undue stress and risk of damage. Better go back to your owners manual see the correct tyre specification and ratings for that car and purchase it ASAP.

2 Likes

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by nissparts(m): 8:51am On Dec 21, 2013
Lexusgs430:

Size 18 alloys wheels will kill fuel economy ? What about the beauty the 18' alloys adds to the feet of the vehicle? I run 220/40/18 on the rear (both sides I hasten to add) and 215/35/18 on both front. Makes the ride @ high speed more stable !!!!!
The deep dish 18' split alloys always tempts me to wash them and bring out the shine, forget fuel economy and look beautiful !!!!!

Oga, do you drive an 03 Altima?
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by timbros(m): 12:29pm On Dec 21, 2013
lomomike: For driving a car with 3 different tyre specs I'm soooo sure your vulcanizer even pumped the tyres over pressure "oga na 40 be the normal tyre pressure" by the way, how much do you spend on fuel (what's your current MPG) I know your MPG is way low. I can imagine how the car will squat to one side and how unstable, harsh and unforgiving that ride will be. How about your wheel arches, tyre wells and mud flaps (inner sand protector) and the other little components that are located where your tyes are. You're putting those places under undue stress and risk of damage. Better go back to your owners manual see the correct tyre specification and ratings for that car and purchase it ASAP.

How do I calculate me MPG please? It seems my '96 Camry is guzzling fuel too much now more than before.

Help needed asap please.
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by icemann(m): 1:48pm On Dec 21, 2013
timbros:

How do I calculate me MPG please? It seems my '96 Camry is guzzling fuel too much now more than before.

Help needed asap please.

Step 1. Fill your tank
Step 2. Reset your odometer or write down your mileage at the gas station b4 you drive off
Step 3. Drive like a normal day for 3 days or when you need to refill
Step 4. Refill at a reliable gas station and note the amount of gasoline you used.
Step 5. Note your Odometer before you drive off
Step 6. Subtract initial mileage from final mileage which is = Mileage traveled
Step 7 Divide Mileage traveled by gas used to refill. Your answer is the you MPG.

NOTE MPG= Miles per gallon. So you are dividing miles(not Kilometers) by Gallons(not Liters). Please do a conversion if you have you values in SI units

3 Likes

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by timbros(m): 2:51pm On Dec 21, 2013
icemann:

Step 1. Fill your tank
Step 2. Reset your odometer or write down your mileage at the gas station b4 you drive off
Step 3. Drive like a normal day for 3 days or when you need to refill
Step 4. Refill at a reliable gas station and note the amount of gasoline you used.
Step 5. Note your Odometer before you drive off
Step 6. Subtract initial mileage from final mileage which is = Mileage traveled
Step 7 Divide Mileage traveled by gas used to refill. Your answer is the you MPG.

NOTE MPG= Miles per gallon. So you are dividing miles(not Kilometers) by Gallons(not Liters). Please do a conversion if you have you values in SI units

Thanks man.

Do I need to fill it full tank?
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Onyenna(m): 3:34pm On Dec 21, 2013
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Onyenna(m): 3:56pm On Dec 21, 2013
MD-CEO:
I just got a registered Nissan Altima 2003 a few days ago.
Today I noticed that one of the the tyres (drivers side front tyre) went flat and is completely bad. I changed it to the spare and decided to look closely at all the other tyres.
To my amazement, i found that all the other 3 remaining tyres had different sizes.
The sizes are-
235-50-18
245-50-18
255-40-18.

235-50-18 and 245-50-18 will have same height..the only difference is the width(ie 235 & 245)...255-40-18 will still be of same height but shorter-stomach-area(by the side) and it will probably have the largest width compared to 235 and 245...they all have a difference of 10(width-wise) ie 235,245 and 255...... Summary: they all have same height which means your car is Balanced..... You're not in any Danger sir.....

3 Likes

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by MDCEO1: 4:07pm On Dec 21, 2013
nissparts: You dont only need 4 tires, you need 4 new rims.
Lol about the Nigerian maintenance thingy. grin
Actually, i dont really do much commuting, so fuel consumption isnt too much of an issue. And i quite like the look of those large rims and tyres.
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Onyenna(m): 4:07pm On Dec 21, 2013
I have one more question for you sir; anytime you steer right/left, is there any contact between your front tyres and the car?
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by MDCEO1: 4:14pm On Dec 21, 2013
Onyenna: I have one more question for you sir; anytime you steer right/left, is there any contact between your front tyres and the car?
No Sir.
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Onyenna(m): 4:16pm On Dec 21, 2013
MD-CEO:

No Sir.

Then you're SAFE....

You know 16rim is quite Cheap compared to 18rim tyres.......right..... 18rim will lift your car higher, make it look finer and more Matured.....but if Money is a factor, then, I suggest you change your Rims to 16R......
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by MDCEO1: 4:23pm On Dec 21, 2013
lomomike: For driving a car with 3 different tyre specs I'm soooo sure your vulcanizer even pumped the tyres over pressure "oga na 40 be the normal tyre pressure" by the way, how much do you spend on fuel (what's your current MPG) I know your MPG is way low. I can imagine how the car will squat to one side and how unstable, harsh and unforgiving that ride will be. How about your wheel arches, tyre wells and mud flaps (inner sand protector) and the other little components that are located where your tyes are. You're putting those places under undue stress and risk of damage. Better go back to your owners manual see the correct tyre specification and ratings for that car and purchase it ASAP.
Dont really commute much, so fuel is not a major part of my budget.
Lol @your imagination, the handling is definitely not anywhere as bad as that.
Do i necessarily have to use themanufacturer's specs? I read somewhere that there's no harm in using bigger tyres, provided they're all of the same size and specs. The only drawback is that you must be ready to spend more on fuel.
Is that info correct?
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by icemann(m): 4:24pm On Dec 21, 2013
Onyenna:

235-50-18 and 245-50-18 will have same height..the only difference is the width(ie 235 & 245)...255-40-18 will still be of same height but shorter-stomach-area(by the side) and it will probably have the largest width compared to 235 and 245...they all have a difference of 10(width-wise) ie 235,245 and 255...... Summary: they all have same height which means your car is Balanced..... You're not in any Danger sir.....

IF YOU DONT ANY THING ABOUT TIRES DO NOT POST. WHY ARE YOU GIVING S'TUPID ADVICE?

2 Likes

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Onyenna(m): 4:34pm On Dec 21, 2013
icemann:

IF YOU DONT ANY THING ABOUT TIRES DO NOT POST. WHY ARE YOU GIVING S'TUPID ADVICE?

You know what; go to any tyre shop, bring out all those numbers and see for yourself.......... You know nothing about tyres bro....

You can simply ask the OP if his car is balanced or Not.......

3 Likes

Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by MDCEO1: 4:41pm On Dec 21, 2013
icemann:

Lol, bros you dey vex o!
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by Dizzybizzy: 4:54pm On Dec 21, 2013
Onyenna:

[quote author=Onyenna]

Not true sir
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by icemann(m): 4:56pm On Dec 21, 2013
Onyenna:

You know what; go to any tyre shop, bring out all those numbers and see for yourself.......... You know nothing about tyres bro....

You can simply ask the OP if his car is balanced or Not.......

Google Tire aspect ratio
MD-CEO:

Lol, bros you dey vex o!

Why not. It is people like these that make all these road side mech kings. They mess with peoples car Fu'ckk it up and say the car brand is bad, and later say "TOYOTA IS THE ONLY CAR IN THE WORLD"
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by MDCEO1: 4:57pm On Dec 21, 2013
Onyenna:

Actually, when i browsed it, i found that the second set of figures, thats the '50' or '40' is not an absolute statement of the height of the tyre. Rather, it is a percentage of the width of the tires. Thus the 50 actually means 50% of the width (thats 50% of 235 or245).
So if thats the case, then the tire width will determine the height even if they are both size 50 for the middle pair of figures.
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by abatically(m): 5:05pm On Dec 21, 2013
18" tyres will work if u get the configurations right. I think 225/45/18
Re: Different Sizes On All My 3 Tyres! Currently Cash Strapped! What To Do? by icemann(m): 5:16pm On Dec 21, 2013
Onyenna:

Don't mind da Mofo...

You think everyone here is a university student wallowing at home cos of ASUU strike? You need to understand nigerians from all over the world with Education from Top engineering schools post here. Trac, Sultan,siena, zim, Ikenna, car doc, Nissan parts and so may others i forgot to mention [/b] are people who know the stuff and i give them the respect.[b] You my friend need to find your level

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Audi Reportedly Made Thousands Of Vehicles With The Same VIN / Highlights Of Autofest 2019, Hosted By BMW Club Of Nigeria (photos) / Who Has Applied For The Nigerian Driver's License On-line?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.