Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,198 members, 7,818,657 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:05 PM

Defenders Of Corruption Vs Lamido Sanusi (CBN) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Defenders Of Corruption Vs Lamido Sanusi (CBN) (938 Views)

PHOTO of Sanusi Lamido Sanusi (CBN) Governors Wife / Sanusi's CBN Performance: Soludo Was Better After All? / Is Lamido Sanusi (CBN Governor) Pursuing A Hidden Agenda? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Defenders Of Corruption Vs Lamido Sanusi (CBN) by IleIfe2(m): 12:43pm On Dec 22, 2013
Victor Amokeodo

Now, getting past the issue of criticising Lamido's figures, which - we all agree - is not unfounded, there is something strange playing out here and over the wider social media that makes for very depressing reading. It makes me understand one of the reasons why Nigeria continues to be backward. And that reason lies with the behaviour of its educated people. In any society, regardless of the levels of illiteracy, if the educated people do what they are supposed the do, the country will move forward. But we "educated" Nigerians - especially as being played out here on NNP - are obviously not doing something right.

In most developed countries, whistleblowing is valued, nay encouraged. It is never, ever discouraged or shouted down. Even the extreme ones who come out with all manner of conspiracy theories are tolerated because it is very important in a developed society that these contrary words are allowed to be heard. Besides, throughout history, some of these conspiracy theories or parts of them have turned out to be true.

In a developed society, even if it is suspected that the whistle-blower might be making his/her revelation out of some kind of revenge or malice for his or her bosses, that is not relevant to the people that are affected by the revelation. All they want to know is: "Is there any element of truth in this?" etc etc. And you do not expect a whistle-blower to be correct or accurate all or even most of the time, but they are needed and valued very much. If you shout them down or discourage them, then it is to the detriment of your community.

Now Nigeria is a bastion of corruption. We really need people to expose the rot in our government whenever possible. But it hardly ever happens. Someone was just telling me only yesterday that civil servants are so beholden to their political party bosses, that whenever the ruling party anywhere has a political rally, all the civil servants in the state MUST attend the rally or risk losing their jobs!!!! Haba!!! I could not believe it. **IN NIGERIA, IT SEEMS THAT WE ARE DESENSITIZED TO THE THINGS THAT SHOULD HORRIFY US AND WE ARE HORRIFIED BY THE THINGS THAT WE SHOULD ENCOURAGE**.

In Nigeria, where we need whistle-blowers more than anywhere else in the world, an unusual thing happens: a whistle-blower reveals something alarming and very, very important. **INSTEAD OF PEOPLE TO CONCENTRATE ON THE ACCUSATIONS, THEY IMMEDIATELY SPECULATE ON AND CONCENTRATE ON HIS OR HER PURPORTED MOTIVES!** Unbelievable! Many people start accusing this man of all kinds of things - he hates GEJ, he is being used by OBJ, he is from the North and does not want south-south to have a second term, he is causing mass hysteria etc etc.. He is accused of "lying" because the figure is N10billion and not N49billion (please see some of the comments above)!!! How in the world does that equate to a lie He is accused of making "unfounded allegations" (please see some of the comments above). How the hell are the allegations unfounded? Has he not been proven absolutely right that monies that should have been remitted to the treasury have not been He as not even said that the money was stolen - and it well might have been - all he has said is that the money has not been remitted when it should have been. The fact that the figures are not accurate might make him somewhat incompetent (which is debatable), but how on earth does that make it a lie or unfounded? This is soooo depressing.

I honestly don't know if he has any ulterior motives and what these possible motives might be and I couldn't care less. I just want to know where the money is. Whose account is it resting in and racking up interest etc etc. Sadly, our governments will continue to steal money in an unfettered way, secure in the knowledge that if anyone dares to criticise or accuse them, their legion of supporters will descend on the accuser …. The funny thing is that these defenders and their families are often the ones who are losing out from the corruption of those whom they defend. Lamido is a very wealthy man. His children will not suffer if N49Billion or N10.09Billion or N12Billion is "unaccounted for" in our coffers. But most of those attacking him will be affected in some way. It just beggars belief!

Man, the reaction of our "educated" people here really depresses me. But it has given me a clearer understanding of how it is that we are where we are as a people, today. It also shows that while we are arrogantly talking about "educating the masses" it is really we who have to first educate ourselves. I also realise that the salvation of Nigeria - if that ever happens at all - will not come from the likes of most of us here in NNP. It will come from a group of people who think and act in a very different way from the way most of us here are doing here. Let us not kid ourselves. We are not the answers to any important questions. We are failing our country and will probably fail just like our parents' generation before us.

I honestly don't know Lamido's motivation - if he has any - but I say to you that his motivation is irrelevant, as long as there is a modicum of truth in his accusation. And is there not a chance that he is just being genuinely anti-corruption Now, potential whistle-blowers will be watching nervously in Nigeria because they realise that in Nigeria, whistle-blowing is a very thankless task. The people - for whom you are trying to save some money or reveal some important other information - will turn on you and heap allegations, abuse and aspersion on your person! And after all that, even if your allegations turns out to be true, the perpetrators will not even be brought to justice, anyway! HOW DEPRESSING IT MUST BE FOR ANYONE WHO TRIES TO DO THE RIGHT THING IN THAT COUNTRY. No wonder we are so wretched. The reason is not a mystery. It is easy. Look in the mirror. Read the pages of NNP. Nigeria we hail thee.

That above comment on "mass hysteria" from AAT particularly made me sad. I will not normally mention a name, but I am sad because I usually agree with most of the things he says and he strikes like the kind of person who - if he were in Lamido's position and spots some irregularity - will do whatever he can to expose that irregularity. But then, I am thinking now, perhaps I am wrong. In a country like Nigeria where - as we speak Boko Haram is murdering people (yes, it happens every single day, even when it is not reported) - women are being raped, children are being killed for body parts... as we speak armed robbers are raping and killing families all over Nigeria... children are lynched and burnt to death you are complaining about "mass hysteria" over a question that needs to be asked anyway? All those horrible things that should keep you awake at night - children being lynched and burnt to death - you seem desensitized to it and you are complaining that there is "mass hysteria" over this Where is the mass hysteria anyway Who has been burnt to death or beheaded over these accusations Where? Who? Please show me. I am waiting.

Man, at this very point, I actually feel that there is little hope for Nigeria. Maybe we should just break up into bits and hope that the part that we end up in turns out decent. But even that is unlikely to happen. We will probably just end up like south Sudan or Central African Republic. And the people most to blame will be our lazy, arrogant, ignorant "educated" people.
Re: Defenders Of Corruption Vs Lamido Sanusi (CBN) by IleIfe2(m): 3:05pm On Dec 22, 2013
This is how Jonathanians/pillars argue. grin grin grin

Re: Defenders Of Corruption Vs Lamido Sanusi (CBN) by Gorrbachev: 3:14pm On Dec 22, 2013
Ile-Ife:
This is how Jonathanians/pillars argue. grin grin grin

grin grin
Re: Defenders Of Corruption Vs Lamido Sanusi (CBN) by IleIfe2(m): 4:31pm On Dec 28, 2013
back up
Re: Defenders Of Corruption Vs Lamido Sanusi (CBN) by superstar1(m): 4:38pm On Dec 28, 2013
A government of corrupt people, by corrupt people and for corrupt people, will do nothing, but discredit whistle blower , even when the obvious unaccounted for 10billion dollars, is starring them in the face.
Re: Defenders Of Corruption Vs Lamido Sanusi (CBN) by gramci: 4:54pm On Dec 28, 2013
superstar1: A government of corrupt people, by corrupt people and for corrupt people, will do nothing, but discredit whistle blower , even when the obvious unaccounted for 10billion dollars, is starring them in the face.

so it's no longer $49billion

#Anumpama

1 Like

Re: Defenders Of Corruption Vs Lamido Sanusi (CBN) by kmariko: 8:24pm On Dec 28, 2013
Sanusi is not a whistle blower. Sanusi is at the Apex of Nigerian government. He is a policy formulator as well as enforcer. He has very tool accessible to an "efficient and effective" administrator to find out information and act on it.
Sansui is accused by the "educated" class and his peers of unconscionable negligence and dereliction of duty that smacks of gross incompetence... Not for being a whistle blower.
A principal of a school cannot be whistle blower of the students acts or activities because they are under his purview.

1 Like

Re: Defenders Of Corruption Vs Lamido Sanusi (CBN) by bloggernaija: 9:02pm On Dec 28, 2013
Nigeria stinks
Nigeria is a curse on humanity.
Even over here,
It is the same ,though to a lesser degree.
Apart from close family and friends,
I stay away from anything nigerian.
The materialism ,
The celebration of mediocrity,
The celebration of nothing.
The hypocritical holier than thou attitude/spiritualism
The obvious lack of empathy.
The greed.
The corruptive influences.

I ALWAYS MEET THIS COUPLE IN MY LOCAL PARK.
THEY COME THERE EVERYDAY,TO WALK THEIR DOG.
THEY COME WITH TWO DIFFERENT TYPE OF BAGS.
ONE TO PICK THEIR DOG SHITT ,
THE OTHER TO PICK LITTER LEFT BY OTHERS.
THERE ARE THOUSAND OF SUCH PEOPLE IN THIS CITY.
PEOPLE WHO LIVE THEIR LIVES FOR OTHERS.
THESE PEOPLE ARE THE TRUE CHILDREN OF GOD.
Re: Defenders Of Corruption Vs Lamido Sanusi (CBN) by IboKiller: 9:14pm On Dec 28, 2013
Ibos are guilty as charged. You don't see Hausas or Yorubas complain about a whistle blower or about corrupt officials who has been outed. Only Ibos come out against anyone who happens to be a whistle blower ; especially if the corrupt official(s) is Ibo.

I hope you all see why I am in favour of kicking Ibos out of our lives.

1 Like

Re: Defenders Of Corruption Vs Lamido Sanusi (CBN) by FNG3: 11:18pm On Dec 28, 2013

(1) (Reply)

FINALLY, Umeh and Shinkafi Take APGA'S Seat At Confab. / BRT, LAGBUS Withdraw Vehicles From Road / Lagos Bombing: If You Hide It From People You Can’t Hide It From Allah – Shekau

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.