Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,716 members, 7,816,950 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:56 PM

Pastor Kumuyi Is Right: Christmas Is A Pagan Tradition - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pastor Kumuyi Is Right: Christmas Is A Pagan Tradition (1716 Views)

Pastor Kumuyi: Election Will Be Free, Fair And Widely Accepted / Christmas Is Idolatrous And Unscriptural - Pastor Kumuyi / Seun We Want A Pagan Traditionalist Mod On The Religious Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pastor Kumuyi Is Right: Christmas Is A Pagan Tradition by Nobody: 12:46am On Dec 25, 2013
I stumbled on the news that W.F Kumuyi described Christmas as Idolatrous bla bla bla....can't remember all the adjectives used. I attended the first and second day of the retreat but could not attend the third day due to the fact that a loved one was sick.
I took special interest Because I grew up a in a Deeper Life family.( Although I have embraced rastafarian views which I try to combine with my Christian background. So friends call me a christafarian.) And to me, W.F Kumuyi is the best Christian Leader I have seen, both in deeds and in words.
What even aroused my inner curiosity was the fact that I always thought that our December retreat was our own way of celebrating xmas. I don't ever remember him telling us xmas was wrong.
I visited Nairaland a bit late and I saw two different threads on the issue. Many comments have already been made so I decided to open my own thread so as to give my views.
Firstly, There is no place in the Whole Bible where the date of the Birth of Christ is recorded. And there is no place int the Bible where Christ instructed us to celebrate his Birth.
Secondly, now Kumuyi have told us that the origin of xmas is Built on a Babylonian Culture. What next after the bible? I looked it up on google and behold the origin of Christmas on every page was linked to an old pagan culture. I am on moblie so I am not able to navigate as much as I wanted. Check out this link www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/Christmas_TheRealStory.htm.
So now I was convinced that we all have been following a tradition that has no Biblical Support. So I took to my facebook wall and announced on my Wall what I found out. I told my fb family that celebrating christmas is wrong.
One of my fb friends told me to read Jeremiah 52: 30-32
And read it below
30:In the three and twentieth year of Nebuchadrezzar
Nebuzaradan the captain of the guard carried away
captive of the Jews seven hundred forty and five persons:
all the persons were four thousand and six hundred.
31 And it came to pass in the seven and thirtieth year of
the captivity of Jehoiachin king of Judah, in the twelfth
month, in the five and twentieth day of the month, that
Evilmerodach king of Babylon in the first year of his reign
lifted up the head of Jehoiachin king of Judah, and
brought him forth out of prison.

32 And spake kindly unto him, and set his throne above
the throne of the kings that were with him in Babylon,
Although this verses might not have talked about xmas but it gives us the hint that celebrating on december 25 has a pagan origin.
I have taken views of people belonging to various christian backgrounds(orthodox, catholic and protestant) but none has been able give me a vivid reason why the birth of christ should be celebrated on christmas day. We all have been following a false tradition built on a pagan culture. In my own view, if the birth of christ is to be celebrated it should be done by spreading the gospel of salvation(which is the reason why christ was born) and this should be done everyday.
Note that I am not a Bible scholar neither a Born again Christian or a devout rastafarian. But I have the a Biblical Background and I have been able to see that Christmas is a pagan tradition. The church was only trying to woo the pagan community by adopting its tradition. Anyone who thinks otherwise should pls use a Bible reference or a History book he/she has read. And pls mods I hope this gets to FP. Jah bless
Re: Pastor Kumuyi Is Right: Christmas Is A Pagan Tradition by OnyeEgo1(m): 1:04am On Dec 25, 2013
But atleast Jesus has nor complained nao... Just b focus n stop being religious.. Abi na by force say make u celebrate.. Abi thunder strike once for any dec 25th to show say Jesus no Like am....

Abeg na wen my nigeria pple go begin think and do research on dia own instead of relyin on dia billionaire pastor who thwarth d truth to favor dia pocket... Na wa o.....

I wan ask one question op...
U no dey celebrate ur bday n no try insult me at all!!!!

1 Like

Re: Pastor Kumuyi Is Right: Christmas Is A Pagan Tradition by Nobody: 1:18am On Dec 25, 2013
Onye~Ego:
But atleast Jesus has nor complained nao... Just b focus n stop being religious.. Abi na by force say make u celebrate.. Abi thunder strike once for any dec 25th to show say Jesus no Like am....

Abeg na wen my nigeria pple go begin think and do research on dia own instead of relyin on dia billionaire pastor who thwarth d truth to favor dia pocket... Na wa o.....

I wan ask one question op...
U no dey celebrate ur bday n no try insult me at all!!!!
I made my own research before posting this topic. This issue of xmas is a broad topic so you don't expect me to just believe anything I hear. I expected more matured and referenced response. If you think am wrong, Bring your Bible show me and I will humbly sit on the floor and learn! Thanks
Re: Pastor Kumuyi Is Right: Christmas Is A Pagan Tradition by OnyeEgo1(m): 7:46am On Dec 25, 2013
rasojie:
I made my own research before posting this topic. This issue of xmas is a broad topic so you don't expect me to just believe anything I hear. I expected more matured and referenced response. If you think am wrong, Bring your Bible show me and I will humbly sit on the floor and learn! Thanks

show me where God said u shud not celebrate him
Re: Pastor Kumuyi Is Right: Christmas Is A Pagan Tradition by Nobody: 8:41am On Dec 25, 2013
It seems you did not read my post properly. Read it again.
Re: Pastor Kumuyi Is Right: Christmas Is A Pagan Tradition by Vicjay1(m): 10:08am On Dec 25, 2013
it's just a season to show love
Re: Pastor Kumuyi Is Right: Christmas Is A Pagan Tradition by Nobody: 10:45am On Dec 25, 2013
I get what the OP is trying to say. I was under the message actually and I can say he's being quoted "out of context" sort of. Anyways, I think Christmas worths being celebrated because it's a day we use to mark the birth of Jesus Christ into the world. Yes, no one knows the exact date of birth of Christ, but a day was chosen for that purpose, so, why not? Even though the day might have had pagan origin, it's the motive behind your celebration that matters. Sunday used to be a day ancient Greeks used to worship the sun(or something like that) yet we now use it to worship God nowadays. The Holy Bible didn't directly command us to worship his birth, but angels kinda laid the precedence, they celebrated him, so, why shouldn't we. How do you know Jesus was actually killed during easter? We just take it dah way, because we have a time to actually rejoice that the savior died for us, so, I personally don't see anything wrong in celebrating Christmas, although my parents won't, but it's not gonna hurt, this will be my first Christmas that doesn't start or end in camp, so. ... .. ..Merry Christmas everyone .... . And a Happy New Year in advance wink cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Pastor Kumuyi Is Right: Christmas Is A Pagan Tradition by Nobody: 11:00am On Dec 25, 2013
teebcool: I get what the OP is trying to say. I was under the message actually and I can say he's being quoted "out of context" sort of. Anyways, I think Christmas worths being celebrated because it's a day we use to mark the birth of Jesus Christ into the world. Yes, no one knows the exact date of birth of Christ, but a day was chosen for that purpose, so, why not? Even though the day might have had pagan origin, it's the motive behind your celebration that matters. Sunday used to be a day ancient Greeks used to worship the sun(or something like that) yet we now use it to worship God nowadays. The Holy Bible didn't directly command us to worship his birth, but angels kinda laid the precedence, they celebrated him, so, why shouldn't we. How do you know Jesus was actually killed during easter? We just take it dah way, because we have a time to actually rejoice that the savior died for us, so, I personally don't see anything wrong in celebrating Christmas, although my parents won't, but it's not gonna hurt, this will be my first Christmas that doesn't start or end in camp, so. ... .. ..Merry Christmas everyone .... . And a Happy New Year in advance wink cheesy
Matured and Brilliant. Thanks for your contribution
Re: Pastor Kumuyi Is Right: Christmas Is A Pagan Tradition by pickabeau1: 1:33pm On Dec 25, 2013
+7

teebcool: I get what the OP is trying to say. I was under the message actually and I can say he's being quoted "out of context" sort of. Anyways, I think Christmas worths being celebrated because it's a day we use to mark the birth of Jesus Christ into the world. Yes, no one knows the exact date of birth of Christ, but a day was chosen for that purpose, so, why not? Even though the day might have had pagan origin, it's the motive behind your celebration that matters. Sunday used to be a day ancient Greeks used to worship the sun(or something like that) yet we now use it to worship God nowadays. The Holy Bible didn't directly command us to worship his birth, but angels kinda laid the precedence, they celebrated him, so, why shouldn't we. How do you know Jesus was actually killed during easter? We just take it dah way, because we have a time to actually rejoice that the savior died for us, so, I personally don't see anything wrong in celebrating Christmas, although my parents won't, but it's not gonna hurt, this will be my first Christmas that doesn't start or end in camp, so. ... .. ..Merry Christmas everyone .... . And a Happy New Year in advance wink cheesy
Re: Pastor Kumuyi Is Right: Christmas Is A Pagan Tradition by Kaysalas(m): 6:20pm On Dec 25, 2013
teebcool: I get what the OP is trying to say. I was under the message actually and I can say he's being quoted "[b]out of context" [/b]sort of. Anyways, I think Christmas worths being celebrated because it's a day we use to mark the birth of Jesus Christ into the world. Yes, no one knows the exact date of birth of Christ, but a day was chosen for that purpose, so, why not? Even though the day might have had pagan origin, it's the motive behind your celebration that matters. Sunday used to be a day ancient Greeks used to worship the sun(or something like that) yet we now use it to worship God nowadays. The Holy Bible didn't directly command us to worship his birth, but angels kinda laid the precedence, they celebrated him, so, why shouldn't we. How do you know Jesus was actually killed during easter? We just take it dah way, because we have a time to actually rejoice that the savior died for us, so, I personally don't see anything wrong in celebrating Christmas, although my parents won't, but it's not gonna hurt, this will be my first Christmas that doesn't start or end in camp, so. ... .. ..Merry Christmas everyone .... . And a Happy New Year in advance wink cheesy
He.wasn't quoted out of context, he meant what he said and that is clear enough.I was at the retreat too.
Re: Pastor Kumuyi Is Right: Christmas Is A Pagan Tradition by wordcat(m): 6:34pm On Dec 25, 2013
"In the five and twentieth month"

Which month?
What year?

Bible is full of crap.
Re: Pastor Kumuyi Is Right: Christmas Is A Pagan Tradition by Nobody: 6:50pm On Dec 25, 2013
not only Christmas, but one man rulership over the body of Christ, Trinity, eternal torment etc. In fact , most so called churches imbibe about 60% of Pagan roman catholic tradition.

Dont just condemn one pagan tradition, condemn all of it.
Re: Pastor Kumuyi Is Right: Christmas Is A Pagan Tradition by Nobody: 7:37pm On Dec 25, 2013
pastor kumuyi is always right i tell you. GOD must have spoken to him concerning this honestly! Its just the truth. The way and manner people love the celebration but hate the celebrated is alarming lipsrsealed
Re: Pastor Kumuyi Is Right: Christmas Is A Pagan Tradition by Nobody: 7:50pm On Dec 25, 2013
sbaks: pastor kumuyi is always right i tell you. GOD must have spoken to him concerning this honestly! Its just the truth. The way and manner people love the celebration but hate the celebrated is alarming lipsrsealed

What makes you different from the catholics who say that the pope is always right or infallible for want of a better word.

Even atheists know that Christmas is Pagan, does it mean that God spoke to them about this ? SMH
Re: Pastor Kumuyi Is Right: Christmas Is A Pagan Tradition by Freksy(m): 9:29pm On Dec 25, 2013

Merely having the right motive does not justify why christ's birthday should be celebrated. When the Israelites made "a feast to the LORD" (Ex. 32), their motive was not bad, yet, it was condemned.

Birthday celebrations were practiced millenniums before Jesus' birth. Bible accounts show they were practiced by pagans. Jesus was more than 30 years old when he died. Could it be that he forgot to celebrate his birthday, or was too busy in the ministry to do so? Supposing he forgot, or was too busy, what about his early disciples? The truth is, birthday celebration had never been associated with the worshipers of the true God.

Jesus, shortly before his death, gave us something with which he should be remembered:

"And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me." Luke 22:19 KJV

"For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night in which he was betrayed took bread, For every time you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.". 1 cor. 11:23,26 New English Translation.

Jesus' choice of his day of death for his commemoration is in consistent with Ecc 7:1. "A good name is better than precious ointment; and the day of death than the day of one’s birth"

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

All You Need To Know: Sex In Dream, Sleep Paralysis And Spirit Spouses / Jesus Christ Is The Father Of My Baby, Pregnant Tean Claims. / Why Is The ‘most Religious’ Country The ‘poorest’?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.