Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,205 members, 7,818,701 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

What Is The English Name Of This Fruit? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Is The English Name Of This Fruit? (12934 Views)

Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For / What Is The Name Of This Fruit? (photo) / What's The English Name Of This Fruit? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The English Name Of This Fruit? by Nobody: 9:43am On Dec 25, 2013
I know Ugu is called Fluted pumpkin in English.

But the fruit in this pix is called Anyu or Ugboro in Igbo language. What is the English name?

Re: What Is The English Name Of This Fruit? by borntobegr8t(m): 9:57am On Dec 25, 2013
It's called carica papayé in English...thank me later !
Re: What Is The English Name Of This Fruit? by Nobody: 10:00am On Dec 25, 2013
born_to_be_gr8t: It's called carica papayé in English...thank me later !

You are referring to pawpaw...

Thanks for the effort. Waiting for my agric students...

BTW, English name is most times different from botanical names...
Re: What Is The English Name Of This Fruit? by Drniyi4u(m): 10:38am On Dec 25, 2013

Re: What Is The English Name Of This Fruit? by Nobody: 10:57am On Dec 25, 2013
This is tough grin
Re: What Is The English Name Of This Fruit? by destino24(m): 11:05am On Dec 25, 2013
This one should be normal pumpkin

Sauce: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin

2 Likes

Re: What Is The English Name Of This Fruit? by SugaryBelle(f): 12:19pm On Dec 25, 2013
Its pumpkin,from the flutet pumpkin vegetable(ugbogoro). Its called 'anyu' in my dialect.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The English Name Of This Fruit? by Nobody: 12:44am On Dec 28, 2013
SugaryBelle: Its pumpkin,from the flutet pumpkin vegetable(ugbogoro). Its called 'anyu' in my dialect.

Google ''fluted pumpkin''. Oyinbo man says it's Ugu, a vegetable popular in Nigeria and West Africa...

This ugboro leaf is sweet for yam cooking and some say they use it in soup.
Re: What Is The English Name Of This Fruit? by SugaryBelle(f): 7:07am On Dec 28, 2013
So its onyibo man that will tell us the name of our vegetable,ugbogoro is flutet pumpkin,it has a hollow flute-like stem,and the pumpkin fruit posted by the op.
Re: What Is The English Name Of This Fruit? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Dec 31, 2013
SugaryBelle: So its onyibo man that will tell us the name of our vegetable,ugbogoro is flutet pumpkin,it has a hollow flute-like stem,and the pumpkin fruit posted by the op.

Should I agree with you?

Wait let me consult okija?
Re: What Is The English Name Of This Fruit? by zubem123(m): 12:11am On Oct 02, 2017
well, an Agricolite is here for you. the english name is called squash
Re: What Is The English Name Of This Fruit? by Cutiekatty: 9:34pm On Oct 03, 2017
I know Ugu is called Fluted pumpkin in English.

But the fruit in this pix is called Anyu or Ugboro in Igbo language. What is the English name?

Its called pumpkin, the oyibo type of pumpkin. They(oyibo) has different types of pumpkin, the popular one is the orange colour pumpkin used during the Halloween period, and this is the uncommon one.
Re: What Is The English Name Of This Fruit? by shilz(f): 8:06am On Oct 04, 2017

Google ''fluted pumpkin''. Oyinbo man says it's Ugu, a vegetable popular in Nigeria and West Africa...

This ugboro leaf is sweet for yam cooking and some say they use it in soup.
especially vegetable soup and okro.

(1) (Reply)

How To Cater To A Man Who Doesn't Eat Draw Soup. / Indomie Noodles! / The MYSTERY Chocolate Cake Reinvented

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.