Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:03 AM

Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: (9918 Views)

Nairaland Inter School Debate: Auchi Polytechnic: Winner 7 / Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA / Nairaland Inter-school Debate:Winner:::: ABU Zaria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by sapientia1(m): 6:12pm On Dec 27, 2013
ojoawo:

A question for you, DO YOU PAY YOUR TAX? I am assuming your answer will be NO. A country is run on tax on its citizens and not on Oil Money. You are clearly a reason why the government can't do its job. Its a fault of yours and many other Nigerians.
you just don't get this, he was talking about IT students that couldnt differenciate between a spanner and a wrench, the students are to be blamed for this? in Nigeria, you have a situation where there's always few lecturers available for the right courses, the government have always been relunctant to employ and spent on education, so what's your point here?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by taiwoliu(m): 6:17pm On Dec 27, 2013
larride:

I beg to disagree, one of the oath of office when swearing our leaders into government house, is to protect life's and property, this year alone, the FG spends more than 900 Billion alone on security and yet insecurity is still high. The duties of securities operatives is to gather intelligence and curbs any criminal activities.

How many research center are there, how do our university compare in terms of equipment and conducive learning environment and whose's responsibility are all these anomalies?
true that security agents must seek intelligence, but from who? It is noone else but the citizens who live in these areas.
NIIT, EMDI are research institutes i remember right now.
Have you ever been out of this country and visited other universities in Africa? I bet it's a NO, then you have no basis to compare our universities except on ear-says which is bad for comparism
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by larride(m): 6:17pm On Dec 27, 2013
ojoawo:

I am really worried if this is the question you're asking. The first step in progress is stopping to put the blame on someone else. And besides the government format we use in Nigeria is the Democracy.
A government OF THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE, FOR THE PEOPLE. This infers that referring to a government in Nigeria will actually mean everybody living in Nigeria meanwhile you chose to define Government as the elected leaders.

In answer to your question; You, Me, Every other Nigerians are responsible for creating an enabling environment for employment.

So what's the responsible of the government if its our duty to create an enabling government for ourselves, we can as well govern ourselves with having any government.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by larride(m): 6:22pm On Dec 27, 2013
taiwoliu: true that security agents must seek intelligence, but from who? It is noone else but the citizens who live in these areas.
NIIT, EMDI are research institutes i remember right now.
Have you ever been out of this country and visited other universities in Africa? I bet it's a NO, then you have no basis to compare our universities except on ear-says which is bad for comparism

I don't have to be out of the country yet to compare, how many of our university is rated among the best university in africa, even our best university, (OAU) is not rated among the best 10 so who are we deceiving?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by ojoawo(m): 6:22pm On Dec 27, 2013
sapientia1: you just don't get this, he was talking about IT students that couldnt differenciate between a spanner and a wrench, the students are to be blamed for this? in Nigeria, you have a situation where there's always few lecturers available for the right courses, the government have always been relunctant to employ and spent on education, so what's your point here?

My point here is that how do you expect "the Government" to spend when they don't have the funds to do so?
I hope you know how much debt Nigeria is still in despite efforts by "the Government" to reduce it.
The recent economic meltdown which made unemployment sky rocket in many advanced countries including the USA, and sent many more european countries to an economic halt was well cushioned by "the Government" that we hardly felt its effect in Nigeria. Yet you still blame "the Government" you don't pay your dues to for unemployment. That's a pity
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by JudeP(m): 6:23pm On Dec 27, 2013
7minutes left for dis question to be over
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by larride(m): 6:26pm On Dec 27, 2013
ojoawo:

My point here is that how do you expect "the Government" to spend when they don't have the funds to do so?
I hope you know how much debt Nigeria is still in despite efforts by "the Government" to reduce it.
The recent economic meltdown which made unemployment sky rocket in many advanced countries including the USA, and sent many more european countries to an economic halt was well cushioned by "the Government" that we hardly felt its effect in Nigeria. Yet you still blame "the Government" you don't pay your dues to for unemployment. That's a pity

Are you saying we don't have money to spend? Who's fault is it to generate funds? Who's responsibility is it to enforce laws and policy to generate IGR, who's responsibility is it to enact strict laws so as to increase TAX incurable to the government purse? Who's responsibility is to guide our oil pipes and wells? Who's responsibility is it to attract investors to generate more funds?

The answer is THE GOVERNMENT
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by ojoawo(m): 6:26pm On Dec 27, 2013
larride:

I don't have to be out of the country yet to compare, how many of our university is rated among the best university in africa, even our best university, (OAU) is not rated among the best 10 so who are we deceiving?

Did you know that almost none of this ratings was conducted on physical assessment of the universities?
Even an article of rating on cnn.com was stated to have been conducted on Popularity.
How many african countries have universities in the top 50?

Spain, UK, Greece with universities on top of most lists have higher unemployment rates compared to Nigeria.
So who were you kidding?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by sapientia1(m): 6:32pm On Dec 27, 2013
ojoawo:

of course i pay my dues, and let me give you an example. Saadia Zahidi(senior director of the world economic forum) said and i quote: " countries that invest in human capital end up getting returnsin terms of economy growth and emplyment. here are few things switzerland can teach our government about employment: They have excellent care in terms of health, They invest in top-notch education, they care about talent innovations, they've created an environment which people can thrive, so....can you point to where our government has worked on in the above?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by ojoawo(m): 6:32pm On Dec 27, 2013
larride:

Are you saying we don't have money to spend? Who's fault is it to generate funds? Who's responsibility is it to enforce laws and policy to generate IGR, its responsibility is it to enact strict laws so as to increase TAX incurable to the government purse? Who's responsibility is to guide our oil pipes and wells? Who's responsibility is it to attract investors to generate more funds?

The answer is THE GOVERNMENT

Nigeria has the best economy in Africa. So I am a bit confused when you ask attracting more investors, when there is already the most on african soil.
Let's be sincere to ourselves, "the Government" has done a lot, though frankly not all but still what are the citizens doing to help? That was my question.

Its a case of he without sin should cast the first stone.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by MaziOmenuko: 6:33pm On Dec 27, 2013
taiwoliu:
Though people will argue that for creation of job, there must be enabling environment, which is a responsibility of the government but we forget that government can only carryout its duties with funds generated from IGR and Exports. Nigeria's major revenue is from export of crude oil which over the time as suffered set backs due to oil bunkering and pipeline vandalisation. The effect of this is reduction in revenue and hence inability to cater for the 'enabling environment' for job creation. This cant be blamed entirely on the government.

You're agreeing that its government's duty to provide the jobs, but there are excuses why they are not doing it, right?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by MaziOmenuko: 6:34pm On Dec 27, 2013
Ojoawo

You are writing against the motion that Government is responsible for unemployment:

ojoawo:
So what Factors Promote Unemployment?
Unemployment in Nigeria has been hindered by five major factors: structural, cultural, lack of political will, skewed budgetary allocation and poorly coordinated intervention programmes.

What I have done is to show all the contributing factors of unemployment and it is clear that the government alone is not resonsible for unemloyment in the country.

Then you listed the 5 factors you feel are responsible for unemployment.

Skewed budgetary allocation (still a function of government)

Poorly cordinated intervention programs (still a function of government) ... Etc.

Your points still supports, in a way, that government bears the bulk of the responsibility; am I right?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by taiwoliu(m): 6:35pm On Dec 27, 2013
sapientia1: you just don't get this, he was talking about IT students that couldnt differenciate between a spanner and a wrench, the students are to be blamed for this? in Nigeria, you have a situation where there's always few lecturers available for the right courses, the government have always been relunctant to employ and spent on education, so what's your point here?
you are the one not getting it, i was the IT student. Government as done their part through SWEP1 and 2, SIWES(6months), its up to you to utilize it or waste it
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by taiwoliu(m): 6:37pm On Dec 27, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

You're agreeing that its government's duty to provide the jobs, but there are excuses why they are not doing it, right?
no sir, government provide 'enabling environment' not jobs and yes there are challenges leading to failure in this regard which i listed in my argument's first point
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by sapientia1(m): 6:38pm On Dec 27, 2013
ojoawo:

Nigeria has the best economy in Africa. So I am a bit confused when you ask attracting more investors, when there is already the most on african soil.
Let's be sincere to ourselves, "the Government" has done a lot, though frankly not all but still what are the citizens doing to help? That was my question.

oh no! the citizens dont just sit down idle, yea.....they go into music, sports and other jobs, but its quite unfortunate that this government couldn't still help tackle piracy in the music and movie industries, we have nothing but a very bad environment, since the environment is not enabling, what do you expect?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by larride(m): 6:39pm On Dec 27, 2013
ojoawo:

Did you know that almost none of this ratings was conducted on physical assessment of the universities?
Even an article of rating on cnn.com was stated to have been conducted on Popularity.
How many african countries have universities in the top 50?

Spain, UK, Greece with universities on top of most lists have higher unemployment rates compared to Nigeria.
So who were you kidding?

Are you saying that those rating are not done on physical assessment of the university shocked

I'm not even talking about other continent right now, here in Africa, what position does our best university occupies on the rating? I still stand my ground that our best university, (OAU) is not among the best top 10 university in Africa, that means there are others university in Africa that beats us hands down, for example, University of Cape Town.

Lagos State budget alone is on par with Ghana budget yet unemployment is still higher than in Nigeria than Ghana. So who's kidding who?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by taiwoliu(m): 6:40pm On Dec 27, 2013
sapientia1: of course i pay my dues, and let me give you an example. Saadia Zahidi(senior director of the world economic forum) said and i quote: " countries that invest in human capital end up getting returnsin terms of economy growth and emplyment. here are few things switzerland can teach our government about employment: They have excellent care in terms of health, They invest in top-notch education, they care about talent innovations, they've created an environment which people can thrive, so....can you point to where our government has worked on in the above?
so far, u v been able to quote other governments not what our citizens have done to assist the government. This in itself is a blame for the citizens.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by sapientia1(m): 6:41pm On Dec 27, 2013
taiwoliu: you are the one not getting it, i was the IT student. Government as done their part through SWEP1 and 2, SIWES(6months), its up to you to utilize it or waste it
well, you said it all sir, SIX MONTHS
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by Nobody: 6:41pm On Dec 27, 2013
@taiwoliu, with reference to the example you cited abt the applicants not being able to show skills, don't you think this is the fault of the government?
I can see you're trying to say the government does not have any fault in it but seriously, do you think the 20applicants would be dunb enough not to be able to show the skills if they had been taught? Don't you think this just goes to show glaringly that they never had to do any such thing during their training?

20 applicants, not 5! 20 of them can't be dumb! I think this only goes to show that the foundation is messed up, all the lecturers are able to impart with the little they have is theoretical knowledge and the truth is reciting a textbook from ur memory does not put food on the table. Using the info to produce desired result does, which clearly is not a focus of most of our universities!

Do you agree?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by MaziOmenuko: 6:42pm On Dec 27, 2013
@sapentia and Larride; you ascertained that government has never taken the issue of unemployment serious; how did you reach that preposterous conclusion? One can argue that privitization of our utilities will make them more profit oriented and as such, create more employment. Same is the issue of combating terrorism which the govt is actively pursuing to a meaningful conclusion all in a quest to provide the enabling environment. Don't you think it will be unfair to posit that govt is doing nothing to curb unemployment?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by ojoawo(m): 6:42pm On Dec 27, 2013
sapientia1: of course i pay my dues, and let me give you an example. Saadia Zahidi(senior director of the world economic forum) said and i quote: " countries that invest in hunan capital end up getting returnsin terms of economy growth and emplyment. here are few things switzerland can teach our government about employment: They have excellent care in terms of health, They invest in top-notch education, they care about talent innovations, they've created an environment which people can thrive, so....can you point to where our government has worked on in the above?

2013 national investment was taken at $13.5trn... If we have not invested, how do you think all the multi-national companies will have started investing in Nigeria?
Don't be deceived by the data presented by political activists, Nigeria is largely investing.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by sapientia1(m): 6:42pm On Dec 27, 2013
taiwoliu: so far, u v been able to quote other governments not what our citizens have done to assist the government. This in itself is a blame for the citizens.
oh, really? in what part has the swiss citizens helped her government?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by taiwoliu(m): 6:45pm On Dec 27, 2013
larride:

Are you saying that those rating are not done on physical assessment of the university shocked

I'm not even talking about other continent right now, here in Africa, what position does our best university occupies on the rating? I still stand my ground that our best university, (OAU) is not among the best top 10 university in Africa, that means there are others university in Africa that beats us hands down, for example, University of Cape Town.

Lagos State budget alone is on par with Ghana budget yet unemployment is still higher than in Nigeria than Ghana. So who's kidding who?
so far, i dont see anything to exempt the citizens from the blame. The government as done what they can within budget allocation while the citizens sits idle waiting for the goernment to do magic. We all must play our part in national development. I dont recall seeing anyone come to assess lautech facilities before ratings are released or can you share your physical encounter with the so-called committee that rates universities in Africa
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by sapientia1(m): 6:45pm On Dec 27, 2013
ojoawo:

2013 national investment was taken at $13.5trn... If we have not invested, how do you think all the multi-national companies will have started investing in Nigeria?
Don't be deceived by the data presented by political activists, Nigeria is largely investing.
Nigeria is largely investing, right? but we still have an unemployment rate of 23.9%, who are those working in these investments please? foreigners?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by ojoawo(m): 6:46pm On Dec 27, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: Ojoawo

You are writing against the motion that Government is responsible for unemployment:

Then you listed the 5 factors you feel are responsible for unemployment.

Skewed budgetary allocation (still a function of government)

Poorly cordinated intervention programs (still a function of government) ... Etc.

Your points still supports, in a way, that government bears the bulk of the responsibility; am I right?

My points showed that the government alone is not responsible, a lot of other factors share the blame. You picked the ones that slightly supports. I showed all factors that cause unemployment, and its NOT ONLY the government.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by larride(m): 6:47pm On Dec 27, 2013
ojoawo:

If we have the best economy in Africa then how come you and your partner still said the money isn't enough to accomplish all their obligation?

You do agree with me then that's there's money to fund our institution, yet they fail to do so until academic calendar had to disrupted due to Assu strike, right?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by Nobody: 6:48pm On Dec 27, 2013
@sapienta1, i don't understand this statement!

'I think with a little push, the government can go to sleep and watch Nigeria become great'

Do you mean we don't need the government to solve this problem?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by sapientia1(m): 6:49pm On Dec 27, 2013
taiwoliu: so far, i dont see anything to exempt the citizens from the blame. The government as done what they can within budget allocation while the citizens sits idle waiting for the goernment to do magic. We all must play our part in national development. I dont recall seeing anyone come to assess lautech facilities before ratings are released or can you share your physical encounter with the so-called committee that rates universities in Africa
Nigerians are never lazy, infact you'll hardly see a Nigerian above 18 who is idle, it's either he/she is in school or learning a trade or even any kind of sports. It's the government that can't create a good working environment
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by ojoawo(m): 6:50pm On Dec 27, 2013
sapientia1: oh no! the citizens dont just sit down idle, yea.....they go into music, sports and other jobs, but its quite unfortunate that this government couldn't still help tackle piracy in the music and movie industries, we have nothing but a very bad environment, since the environment is not enabling, what do you expect?

The environment isn't enabling and the music industry is worth over #20bn a year. That would be quite a irony don't you think?

Nollywood is the third largest movie industry in the world and the environment isn't enabling? Is that right?

Please, don't be clouded by judging from a debate point of view and point out the facts!!!
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by sapientia1(m): 6:51pm On Dec 27, 2013
alutacontinua: @sapienta1, i don't understand this statement!

'I think with a little push, the government can go to sleep and watch Nigeria become great'

Do you mean we don't need the government to solve this problem?
No ma'am, we'll always need the government, i mean we citizens of Nigeria has done more than enough, it's just a little more assistance we need from the government, but it's a pity we're not getting it YET!
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by ojoawo(m): 6:52pm On Dec 27, 2013
larride:

Can you please state with proof the criterias used iin rating this universities. You'll then see why you just countered yourself with this statement.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by MaziOmenuko: 6:54pm On Dec 27, 2013
ojoawo:

My points showed that the government alone is not responsible, a lot of other factors share the blame. You picked the ones that slightly supports. I showed all factors that cause unemployment, and its NOT ONLY the government.

Alright, thats good. Let it not look like I'm picking on you, just doing my job. Your stand on the debate is the opposition of the motion that government is 'solely' responsible for unemployment in the country; so I'd expected you to shift the blame away from the government as far as possible, and not try to 'share' the blame between the government and other factors.

In other words, I expected you to be absolute in your stand.

Good speech by the way.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Checklists To Consider If You Keep Failing In School - EDUREGARD / EKSG Distributes Letters To 1,300 Newly Recruited Primary School Teachers. / Maduka David Immanuel Emerges Best Waec Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.