Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,760 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: (9916 Views)

Nairaland Inter School Debate: Auchi Polytechnic: Winner 7 / Nairaland Interschool School Debate::OAU Vs ABU ZARIA::WINNER: ABU ZARIA / Nairaland Inter-school Debate:Winner:::: ABU Zaria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by sapientia1(m): 6:55pm On Dec 27, 2013
ojoawo:

The environment isn't enabling and the music industry is worth over #20bn a year. That would be quite a irony don't you think?

Nollywood is the third largest movie industry in the world and the environment isn't enabling? Is that right?

Please, don't be clouded by judging from a debate point of view and point out the facts!!!
oh yes, and we're not too blind to see how piracy has taken over the music and movie industries, many actors go on parades, shouting and warning about piracy issues.....all thanks to our bad government
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by larride(m): 6:56pm On Dec 27, 2013
ojoawo:

The environment isn't enabling and the music industry is worth over #20bn a year. That would be quite a irony don't you think?

Nollywood is the third largest movie industry in the world and the environment isn't enabling? Is that right?

Please, don't be clouded by judging from a debate point of view and point out the facts!!!

Both the music industry and Nollywood are the end product of hardworking citizens especially the Youth who took to music and acting to survive, meanwhile Nollywood is the third largest movie industry in terms of production, it doesn't even comes close to South Africa in terms of movie grossing every year.

How many Cinema/Theater do we have in Nigeria? With the over 160million citizens, we only have 2 - 3 cinema all over the country while South Africa with over 50million citizens has over 10cinemas.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by MaziOmenuko: 6:57pm On Dec 27, 2013
Justice needs to be done to this my observation!

Mazi_Omenuko: @sapentia and Larride; you ascertained that government has never taken the issue of unemployment serious; how did you reach that preposterous conclusion? One can argue that privitization of our utilities will make them more profit oriented and as such, create more employment. Same is the issue of combating terrorism which the govt is actively pursuing to a meaningful conclusion all in a quest to provide the enabling environment. Don't you think it will be unfair to posit that govt is doing nothing to curb unemployment?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by AbuMikey(m): 6:57pm On Dec 27, 2013

Judges, please round up.

Questioning will end by 7:00pm WAT. smiley

Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by ojoawo(m): 6:58pm On Dec 27, 2013
larride:

If we have the best economy in Africa then how come you and your partner still said the money isn't enough to accomplish all their obligation?

You do agree with me then that's there's money to fund our institution, yet they fail to do so until academic calendar had to disrupted due to Assu strike, right?

I only showed that the country has created a enabling environment that is reflected in the number of investors. This is not reflected in the amount grossed in by the government despite all its efforts. Oil Money cannot run the country. Only when the citizens pay their tax can the country have money
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by ojoawo(m): 7:01pm On Dec 27, 2013
larride:

Both the music industry and Nollywood are the end product of hardworking citizens especially the Youth who took to music and acting to survive, meanwhile Nollywood is the third largest movie industry in terms of production, it doesn't even comes close to South Africa in terms of movie grossing every year.

How many Cinema/Theater do we have in Nigeria? With the over 160million citizens, we only have 2 - 3 cinema all over the country while South Africa with over 50million citizens has over 10cinemas.

Are you saying the country should open cinemas itself?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by Nobody: 7:02pm On Dec 27, 2013
@larride, you'll agree with me that there are menial jobs that shift people away from the realm of the unemployed to gainfully employed that dose factors you mentioned don't affect.

For example, the average tailor can make do with the epileptic power supply, does not need any insurance (well, unless he wants to insure his machine grin), does not have to bring down a bank to start up business (with respect to loans and even if he needs any loan, with the lil provision available at the moment, he'll get something), does not need to be a Ph.D holder, neither does he care about policies and regulations! And yes, I can state hundreds of job that fall into that category, however, time would not permit me right now!

Why don't the people get involved in such things or is it the government's fault they cannot get a shop and sew away?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by taiwoliu(m): 7:03pm On Dec 27, 2013
I dont agree ma, i knew how to assemble a system before i know how to open an e-mail. SWEP and SIWES are programmes that can be used for such developments
alutacontinua: @taiwoliu, with reference to the example you cited abt the applicants not being able to show skills, don't you think this is the fault of the government?
I can see you're trying to say the government does not have any fault in it but seriously, do you think the 20applicants would be dunb enough not to be able to show the skills if they had been taught? Don't you think this just goes to show glaringly that they never had to do any such thing during their training?

20 applicants, not 5! 20 of them can't be dumb! I think this only goes to show that the foundation is messed up, all the lecturers are able to impart with the little they have is theoretical knowledge and the truth is reciting a textbook from ur memory does not put food on the table. Using the info to produce desired result does, which clearly is not a focus of most of our universities!

Do you agree?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by larride(m): 7:03pm On Dec 27, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: Justice needs to be done to this my observation!

Sir Mazi,

The government might be trying but we are not feeling it at all, If you read my opening argument again, you will see where I state it that epileptic power supply is one of main reason drawing us back, the power privitalisation is still in progress and when its fully done, we can still holding those disco companies accountable, even this issue of privitalisation will create jobs once its fully actualized, that's why I said the government are the one responsible for the unemployment, if the government does its part and we have good road networks, good power supply, good communication system, effective laws and regulations then we can begin to move forward. The government might be trying but we are not feeling its impact.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by Nobody: 7:05pm On Dec 27, 2013
taiwoliu: I dont agree ma, i knew how to assemble a system before i know how to open an e-mail. SWEP and SIWES are programmes that can be used for such developments

I am not in the technology field, so, please, do me some help by explaining SWEP and SIWES! Are those supposed to be part of their university training?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by ojoawo(m): 7:05pm On Dec 27, 2013
sapientia1: oh yes, and we're not too blind to see how piracy has taken over the music and movie industries, many actors go on parades, shouting and warning about piracy issues.....all thanks to our bad government

Are you implying the government is aiding piracy?

I'll let you in on a trade secret. Movie producers, actors etc DON'T finance movie projects. This is done by a marketer- which are those who make up the Alaba conglomerate. They pay for the movie and sell it. This is how you knowsome back biting is involved when movie practictioners go on parade against piracy, in the real sense of it, they want the money the marjetters are grossing
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by AbuMikey(m): 7:05pm On Dec 27, 2013

Let's stick to planned timing please.

No more question from the Judges.

Debaters, please give answers to the unanswered questions posted to You, so we can round up things. smiley

Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by taiwoliu(m): 7:07pm On Dec 27, 2013
sapientia1: oh yes, and we're not too blind to see how piracy has taken over the music and movie industries, many actors go on parades, shouting and warning about piracy issues.....all thanks to our bad government
piracy came to being because people wanted more money than they invested. Its not because government didnt do anything, this is not the government's fault
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by PetroDolla2: 7:10pm On Dec 27, 2013
larride:

Are you saying that those rating are not done on physical assessment of the university shocked

I'm not even talking about other continent right now, here in Africa, what position does our best university occupies on the rating? I still stand my ground that our best university, (OAU) is not among the best top 10 university in Africa, that means there are others university in Africa that beats us hands down, for example, University of Cape Town.

Lagos State budget alone is on par with Ghana budget yet unemployment is still higher than in Nigeria than Ghana. So who's kidding who?

Lagos state budget is on par with Ghana budget? what is Lagos state's budget? the last time I checked, Lagos state budget for 2013 was about $3 billion. Ghana's budget for 2013 was $16 billion. provide evidence if you have different figures.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by larride(m): 7:12pm On Dec 27, 2013
alutacontinua: @larride, you'll agree with me that there are menial jobs that shift people away from the realm of the unemployed to gainfully employed that dose factors you mentioned don't affect.

For example, the average tailor can make do with the epileptic power supply, does not need any insurance (well, unless he wants to insure his machine grin), does not have to bring down a bank to start up business (with respect to loans and even if he needs any loan, with the lil provision available at the moment, he'll get something), does not need to be a Ph.D holder, neither does he care about policies and regulations! And yes, I can state hundreds of job that fall into that category, however, time would not permit me right now!

Why don't the people get involved in such things or is it the government's fault they cannot get a shop and sew away?

Good observation ma,

But are you saying everyone should go into tailoring? One thing we all know for certain is that the Nigerian Youth isn't lazy, I have seen graduate results to okada and keke napep riders just to make ends with, I know of a b.sc holder in my area who's source of daily bread is by being a bus conductor, during this ASUU strike, most of my friends turns their attention to acquire technical skills with that being said, all these are the indirect sector of the country and most times it doesn't elevate poverty, rather it just survives it. You want a tailor to pay his/her TAX? Since the government can't provide anything for him/her, they feel they don't owe the government anything in return.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by MaziOmenuko: 7:12pm On Dec 27, 2013
I must commend the participants of this debate. I'm really impressed as this beats the previous debate I was oppurtuned to judge.

Having said that, I will highlight areas that needs improvement and make some recommendations; who knows, the winners might meet me as a judge in subsequent rounds.

First, paragraphs are important and must be adhered to; just like ojawo did. It makes for easy read; each point forms a new paragraph. I know some phones remove the paragraphs while posting, you can avoid this by giving extra spaces, maybe using dots in between.

Next is the issue of referencing. You can't just mention nairaland.com as a reference; its not right. You have to include the link to the reference material for easy access. One of the contestants mentioned that Cameroun had an unemployment rate as low as 3% and I wanted a link to verify that. I felt that claim must be bogus, but there was no way to verify it; so I had to let it be.

Having said that, I love the tenacity of the arguments as displayed here. The persuasiveness is on the high side and I must commend you guys for that. I also love the responses to the puncture lines and the argument that ensured. Honestly, it was wonderful reading it all.

Kudos to you all.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by Nobody: 7:13pm On Dec 27, 2013
Abu Mikey:

Let's stick to planned timing please.

No more question from the Judges.

Debaters, please give answers to the unanswered questions posted to You, so we can round up things. smiley

Ayaf hold it!
Very sorry!
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by sapientia1(m): 7:14pm On Dec 27, 2013
taiwoliu: piracy came to being because people wanted more money than they invested. Its not because government didnt do anything, this is not the government's fault
sir, you said and i quote: "its not because government didn't do anything" my question is, what have they done?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by sapientia1(m): 7:16pm On Dec 27, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: I must commend the participants of this debate. I'm really impressed as this beats the previous debate I was oppurtuned to judge.

Having said that, I will highlight areas that needs improvement and make some recommendations; who knows, the winners might meet me as a judge in subsequent rounds.

First, paragraphs are important and must be adhered to; just like ojawo did. It makes for easy read; each point forms a new paragraph. I know some phones remove the paragraphs while posting, you can avoid this by giving extra spaces, maybe using dots in between.

Next is the issue of referencing. You can't just mention nairaland.com as a reference; its not right. You have to include the link to the reference material for easy access. One of the contestants mentioned that Cameroun had an unemployment rate as low as 3% and I wanted a link to verify that. I felt that claim must be bogus, but there was no way to verify it; so I had to let it be.

Having said that, I love the tenacity of the arguments as displayed here. The persuasiveness is on the high side and I must commend you guys for that. I also love the responses to the puncture lines and the argument that ensured. Honestly, it was wonderful reading it all.

Kudos to you all.
yes sir, cameroon has an unemployment rate of 3% and it has been like that since 2007, can i still provide the link sir?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by larride(m): 7:21pm On Dec 27, 2013
PetroDolla2:

Lagos state budget is on par with Ghana budget? what is Lagos state's budget? the last time I checked, Lagos state budget for 2013 was about $3 billion. Ghana's budget for 2013 was $16 billion. provide evidence if you have different figures.

I'm sorry my good Ghanian friend, I meant to say that the Lagos State economy is on par with that of Ghana, cheesy do forgive me.

taiwoliu: piracy came to being because people wanted more money than they invested. Its not because government didnt do anything, this is not the government's fault

Its the government fault is they can't curb piracy. Whose responsibility is it to curb piracy, or you expect the producer to put laws into their owns and start arresting pirates?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by AbuMikey(m): 7:22pm On Dec 27, 2013
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by MaziOmenuko: 7:22pm On Dec 27, 2013
sapientia1: yes sir, cameroon has an unemployment rate of 3% and it has been like that since 2007, can i still provide the link sir?

Never mind; I will google it on my own spare time; and its quite educating to learn that.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by AbuMikey(m): 7:24pm On Dec 27, 2013

No more questioning.

Judges, please start compiling Your results. smiley

Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by larride(m): 7:25pm On Dec 27, 2013
ojoawo:

Are you implying the government is aiding piracy?

I'll let you in on a trade secret. Movie producers, actors etc DON'T finance movie projects. This is done by a marketer- which are those who make up the Alaba conglomerate. They pay for the movie and sell it. This is how you knowsome back biting is involved when movie practictioners go on parade against piracy, in the real sense of it, they want the money the marjetters are grossing

So who's responsibility is it to make sure that such things that curb? Nollywood is the 3rd largest movie industry in terms of movie production in the whole world yet the South Africa Movie Industry gross more money than Nollywood, if Piracy is to curb and more cinema springs up, don't you think Nollywood could even move to greater heights?
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by larride(m): 7:31pm On Dec 27, 2013
Nigerian youth are not lazy, we are hardworking, look at the street hawkers, those boys and guys that runs around in hold-up selling gala and bottle water and tell me that Nigeria youth are lazy. We just need the government to do more than they are doing, lots of graduate that didn't want to engage in crime had to settle for menial job just to survive, even those that are working are being sacked and pushed into the labour market because of cost of running a business or they are folding up. Insecurity is scaring investors away. The government needs to do far more than they are currently doing. Thank You!!!
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by ojoawo(m): 7:33pm On Dec 27, 2013
larride:

So what's responsibility is it to make sure that such things that curb? Nollywood is the 3rd largest movie industry in terms of movie production in the whole world yet the South Africa Movie Industry gross more money than Nollywood, if Piracy is to curb and more cinema springs up, don't you think Nollywood could even move to greater heights?

I believe we have not reached the highest state in Nollywood. The government has done a lot, though there's more to be done. Much of what's to be done is the people that buy these CD's ... If we all stop buying pirated cds and leave the government to stop the production, we'll definitely move forward.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by larride(m): 7:40pm On Dec 27, 2013
ojoawo:

I believe we have not reached the highest state in Nollywood. The government has done a lot, though there's more to be done. Much of what's to be done is the people that buy these CD's ... If we all stop buying pirated cds and leave the government to stop the production, we'll definitely move forward.

You don't tell a consumer what and what he should buy and shouldn't buy with his/her money, its the responsibility of the government to make sure that those pirated copies are non existent, if the government can't do that, then it has failed in its duty to the industry.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by AbuMikey(m): 7:41pm On Dec 27, 2013

Results compilation in progress smiley

Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by taiwoliu(m): 8:15pm On Dec 27, 2013
@mods, i ran out of battery but as the aim of the debate is enlightenment, there is still a standing question i would like to answer but not to garner points but to enlighten the person who asked.
@alutacontinua, Yes they are part of university curriculum. SWEP and SIWES are programs for enigineering students to gather practical experiences. During this period, they are expected to pay visit to local artisans in their respective fields. SWEP means Student Work Experience Programme and SIWES is Student Industrial Work Experience Scheme (6 months).
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by teeshawt(m): 9:23pm On Dec 27, 2013
I will only make one point to this debate of a thing,I believe we all know that uk runs it govt based on tax gathered from the citizens and we all see the good end results and how well it paid them.now over to nigerians how many of us pay our tax? except we want to lie.if not for the fact that our parents are govt workers nd tax is being deducted automatically. hence they are not ready to pay the tax.also the market men nd women tends to run away from paying thiers on sighting internal revenue agents...xo wats the fuss abt...this shows how citizens are largely contributing to unemployment nd underdevelopment of this country.. we all see how its going well nd good for uk due to the fact that citizens pay their tax duely.
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by AbuMikey(m): 8:57am On Dec 28, 2013
[size=26pt]Judge 1[/size]

LARRIDE

presentation-3.5
logic-4
strength of facts-2.5
persuasiveness-3.5
demonstration-4

Total: 17.5

TAIWOLIU

presentation-3
logic-3.5
strength of facts-3.5
persuasiveness-3
demonstration-3.5

Total: 16.5

SAPIENTAL

presentation-3.5
logic-3
strength of facts-3.5
persuasiveness-3.5
demonstration-3

OJOAWO

presentation-4.5
logic-2.5
strength of facts-4
persuasiveness-2.5
demonstration-2.5

Total: 16
Re: Nairaland Inter-school Debate. ::UNIOSUN:: by AbuMikey(m): 8:58am On Dec 28, 2013
[size=26pt]Judge 2[/size]

Larride:

Presentation: 5
Logic of argument: 4
Strength of facts: 3
Persuasiveness: 3
Demonstration of knowledge: 4.5

Total: 19.5

Taiwoliu

Presentation: 3
Logic of argument: 3
Strenght of facts: 2.5
Persuasiveness: 4
Demonstration of knowledge: 4

Ojoawo

Presentation: 4.5
Logic of argument: 2
Strenght of facts: 2.5
Persuasiveness: 3
Demonstration of knowledge: 4

Total: 16

Sapientia1

Presentation: 2.5
Logic of argument: 2.5
Strenght of facts: 3
Persuasiveness: 4
Demonstration of knowledge: 3

Total: 15

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Checklists To Consider If You Keep Failing In School - EDUREGARD / EKSG Distributes Letters To 1,300 Newly Recruited Primary School Teachers. / Maduka David Immanuel Emerges Best Waec Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.