Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,255 members, 7,818,876 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:03 AM

Changing Power Steering Seals DIY Style On 2003 Accord (pics!!!) - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Changing Power Steering Seals DIY Style On 2003 Accord (pics!!!) (10104 Views)

URGENT! My 2003 Accord Transmission Just Stalled. / Coolant Drain, Flush And Refill, DIY On 2003 Honda Accord (with Pics!!!) / Is ATF Oil The Same As Power Steering Fluid? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Changing Power Steering Seals DIY Style On 2003 Accord (pics!!!) by Piyke: 10:45am On Sep 08, 2015
adanny01:
I traveled 150miles and have seen quite a drop in the power steering pump reserve tank. There was oil stains on the pump, below it and on the alternator which i thought was from the job done since i am yet to wash. I used a tissue paper to mope all oil around it. After a drive, i noticed oil below the pump and on the alternator again.

That means there is a leak and its obviously No 17 oil seal, the one on the cover plate or in the pan from picture above. I could easily do DIY on it but getting an exact replacement is the next challenge. I need to do that fast as oil touching my alternator puts me on edge.

Also, had previously planned to check and adjust if necessary valve clearances since my car's had clocked recommended 110,000miles. I finally had it done yesterday.

What i saw broke my heart. Sorry i didnt snap but my cylinder no 3 exhaust cam lobe was seriously worn down. 4 has worn too but yet to reach alarming level while 1 is in the early wearing stages. Only no 2 has no wear while the intake are not worn but 1, 3 and 4 were adjusted.

The worn no 3 exhaust vavle was too tight for the 0.30mm standard valve guage and was the only one adjusted. The effect was louder valve noise obviously from just that no 3 exhaust valve. It sounds like a mild diesel engine.

My mechanic recommended someone in KD who does cam lobe filling to standard. I wonder how long it will last after the fill. Replacing the cam shaft is not so easy as there is little space to work on resetting timing.

Sorry to hear the leaks came up. I guess that's why it's usually advised that if you disassemble anything that's been bound up for long, that you replace any associated o-ring as a precaution (there are exceptions I guess). I suppose that the old o-ring will be worn to some degree and getting the exact same placement (to the nearest micrometer) would be difficult, hence the leaks. Guess those that rebuild pumps or seal guys may have the a replacement. I will even buy same rebuild kit again, not because of leaks but I plan to replace my pump bearing (some noise from there but no fillets) and complete what I started far back when opened the thread. Getting one just incase.
On the exhaust cam shaft lobe wear, it appears it happens on these our models. Funny enough when I checked my valve clearances mine was still quite good. I really wonder the factors that contribute to lobe wear.
All the best.

1 Like

Re: Changing Power Steering Seals DIY Style On 2003 Accord (pics!!!) by adanny01(m): 11:41am On Sep 08, 2015
Piyke:

Sorry to hear the leaks came up. I guess that's why it's usually advised that if you disassemble anything that's been bound up for long, that you replace any associated o-ring as a precaution (there are exceptions I guess). I suppose that the old o-ring will be worn to some degree and getting the exact same placement (to the nearest micrometer) would be difficult, hence the leaks. Guess those that rebuild pumps or seal guys may have the a replacement. I will even buy same rebuild kit again, not because of leaks but I plan to replace my pump bearing (some noise from there but no fillets) and complete what I started far back when opened the thread. Getting one just incase.
On the exhaust cam shaft lobe wear, it appears it happens on these our models. Funny enough when I checked my valve clearances mine was still quite good. I really wonder the factors that contribute to lobe wear.
All the best.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I am heading out now to find the rebuild kit. I just need one O-ring (the biggest of all of them) which i will easily change. The cam shaft filling is another one i will search for. My search location is Kaduna where i am this moment.
Re: Changing Power Steering Seals DIY Style On 2003 Accord (pics!!!) by adanny01(m): 8:36pm On Sep 08, 2015
It was a hectic day for me as mechanics all tried to play me for a fool.

98% of them think i am a novice.

One said power steering pump is irrepairable. Another one said i should change my top cylinder before it knocks my engine. Another one said i should not dare filling the wear cos it will knock my engine.

Basically, no one wants to sell me the PS rebuild kit, they want to repair it for me or nothing. So they want to get as much money as possible from me. On the other hand, no one wants to repair my camshaft or they have never heard of camshaft repair. Its either i buy a relacement camshaft or buy another top cylinder entirely.

The only guy who admitted to having the PS rebuild kit insisted i contract him to fix. I agreed on a price of 1k which he refused. At this point the pump was already removed and i refused to shift grounds insisting he brings the kit to me and install right before me. In short, the guy just opened the pump, cleaned both surfaces, applied silicon gum and closed while i protested. At the end i told him i was paying N500 since he broke our agreement. It was a hot arguement but later resolved when he gave me 2 O-rings. 1 big and 1 small. The small one was used but very flexible while the other is unused. The small fits the inlet pipe that causes morning whine while the large one is the one i requested he fix but instead used gum. However i am not 100% sure that the big o ring is the exact diameter or thickness since he gave me under pressure to recieve 1k from me.

For now the gum is not leaking but dont know how long it will remain so.
Re: Changing Power Steering Seals DIY Style On 2003 Accord (pics!!!) by IdaraCHODB(m): 11:31pm On Sep 08, 2015
adanny01:
It was a hectic day for me as mechanics all tried to play me for a fool.

98% of them think i am a novice.

One said power steering pump is irrepairable. Another one said i should change my top cylinder before it knocks my engine. Another one said i should not dare filling the wear cos it will knock my engine.

Basically, no one wants to sell me the PS rebuild kit, they want to repair it for me or nothing. So they want to get as much money as possible from me. On the other hand, no one wants to repair my camshaft or they have never heard of camshaft repair. Its either i buy a relacement camshaft or buy another top cylinder entirely.

The only guy who admitted to having the PS rebuild kit insisted i contract him to fix. I agreed on a price of 1k which he refused. At this point the pump was already removed and i refused to shift grounds insisting he brings the kit to me and install right before me. In short, the guy just opened the pump, cleaned both surfaces, applied silicon gum and closed while i protested. At the end i told him i was paying N500 since he broke our agreement. It was a hot arguement but later resolved when he gave me 2 O-rings. 1 big and 1 small. The small one was used but very flexible while the other is unused. The small fits the inlet pipe that causes morning whine while the large one is the one i requested he fix but instead used gum. However i am not 100% sure that the big o ring is the exact diameter or thickness since he gave me under pressure to recieve 1k from me.

For now the gum is not leaking but dont know how long it will remain so.

I am importing parts from the U.S this month, so if you can send me the link to the o-rings on amazon or wherever, I can get them for you, pay when you get them, but if its a complete rebuild kit, then you will need to make some commitment.
Re: Changing Power Steering Seals DIY Style On 2003 Accord (pics!!!) by adanny01(m): 10:48pm On Sep 09, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

I am importing parts from the U.S this month, so if you can send me the link to the o-rings on amazon or wherever, I can get them for you, pay when you get them, but if its a complete rebuild kit, then you will need to make some commitment.

I would have but my pump isnt leaking anymore and its very good for now.

I will contact you when i need something later. Right now, my need is an exhaust camshaft but have secured a used one in Abj.
Re: Changing Power Steering Seals DIY Style On 2003 Accord (pics!!!) by IdaraCHODB(m): 11:51am On Sep 10, 2015
adanny01:

I would have but my pump isnt leaking anymore and its very good for now.

I will contact you when i need something later. Right now, my need is an exhaust camshaft but have secured a used one in Abj.

Great to know, I was wondering how I could be of help.

I hate it when mechanics try to make fools of car owners, isn't it afterall my car? And I am contracting you to do a fix, can it not be done on terms that are acceptable not just to the mechanic but also to the owner?

So that informed my offer to bail you out! To give you some power over your machine
Re: Changing Power Steering Seals DIY Style On 2003 Accord (pics!!!) by adanny01(m): 2:05pm On Sep 10, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

Great to know, I was wondering how I could be of help.

I hate it when mechanics try to make fools of car owners, isn't it afterall my car? And I am contracting you to do a fix, can it not be done on terms that are acceptable not just to the mechanic but also to the owner?

So that informed my offer to bail you out! To give you some power over your machine

Yeah i realised, thanks very much. I was able to get it off him.
Re: Changing Power Steering Seals DIY Style On 2003 Accord (pics!!!) by Piyke: 7:49pm On Dec 18, 2015
adanny01:
I decided to risk it by dismantling it.

First attempt in coupling was unsuccesful as it refused to pump due to mistakes in installing outercase and side plate. The mechanic got scared and was reluctant to open up again but i prevailed on him to do it.

Second attempt was very successful and stressless as i sent the mechanic on an errand while i took time to wash the parts clean let them dry, made sure the right parts are placed correctly. Mechanics dont really take their time to do a thorough job. This time around the pump worked like magic and even better than it was originally. I have a new bearing inplace which made the pump very quiet. The difference is clear.

Adanny01 now I know what you're enjoying, just finished replacing my worn PS bearing this evening and my engine sounds much quiter. Also used the opportunity to replace all seals in the pump. Took loads of pics and will reload this DIY on my blog soon
Re: Changing Power Steering Seals DIY Style On 2003 Accord (pics!!!) by Piyke: 11:38pm On Jan 18, 2016
arduino:

It seems you have easy access to PS seals. How can one get them from your ends?

Got the stuff from Amazon. Here's the exact rebuild kit I used; [url]http://www.amazon.com/Edelmann-8934-Steering-Pump-Seal/dp/B0049MGBXA/ref=sr_1_12?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1453156060&vehicle=2003-59-751-113--1-9-5-7379--1-1-2356--2-0&sr=1-12&ymm=2003%3Ahonda%3Aaccord[/url]
And the bearing; http://www.amazon.com/Febest-Honda-Bearing-17X40X12-91048-P2A-003/dp/B00C6MYYWA/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1453156587&sr=8-1&keywords=febest+bearing+40x17
Used one of the shipping services around to get it down
Re: Changing Power Steering Seals DIY Style On 2003 Accord (pics!!!) by davessales039(m): 4:51pm On Apr 24, 2022
Dr. Piyke, abeg, I'm having some leak from my steering rack. Will need a little guide fixing it. ��

Would have loved to reach you on Whatsapp, if only I had your contact.
Kindly dm me, please. (contact in signature).
Thanks.
Re: Changing Power Steering Seals DIY Style On 2003 Accord (pics!!!) by Sirnioking(m): 7:55pm On Apr 24, 2022
sultaan:
Its good you are getting your hands dirty a little, not because you can't afford to pay a mechanic but the desire to get it right with a better understanding how it works.

I hope you got a Honda power steering fluid because if you use any other fluid it will boil.

So you know there will be a couple of failures in the west some rebuilt unit cost $60 so they just replace.

I know getting to know different parts of the vehicle you will not be surprised by any failure you already know the condition of each system.
Wow! No wonder mine is boiling and pouring all over the floor

1 Like

Re: Changing Power Steering Seals DIY Style On 2003 Accord (pics!!!) by mrover(m): 11:56pm On May 07, 2022
Nice thread Mr Piyke,

I got similar leak on my Honda civic 07, my mechanic has tried to tighten seal on 3 different occasions, it stops leaking for a while and then resumes. I have to top fluid occasionally.

Kindly assist in resolving
Re: Changing Power Steering Seals DIY Style On 2003 Accord (pics!!!) by Piyke: 6:25pm On May 09, 2022
davessales039:
Dr. Piyke, abeg, I'm having some leak from my steering rack. Will need a little guide fixing it. ��

Would have loved to reach you on Whatsapp, if only I had your contact.
Kindly dm me, please. (contact in signature).
Thanks.

I haven't worked on my steering rack before o embarassed
Re: Changing Power Steering Seals DIY Style On 2003 Accord (pics!!!) by davessales039(m): 12:38pm On May 10, 2022
Piyke:

I haven't worked on my steering rack before o embarassed

Oh OK.

However, I did some further research.
My leak comes from the steering rack gearbox. One (or more) of the four seals needs attention and the entire steering rack needs to come out first.

I'm not mentally ready for this task yet, so I'll have to live with it for now.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Saudi Arabia Allows First Women’s Driving Licenses, / Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars / Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.