Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,157 members, 7,815,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... (4044 Views)

Atheism Is Frustrating. / Is It Like Frank Edwards Is Loosing It?i Think We Have To Pray For Him / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by Nobody: 7:27pm On Dec 28, 2013
texanomaly:

I am a newbie. Can you drop a link or two for me? I am curious about the origins of your way of thinking. How did you come to these conclusions? Christianity claims growth and enlightenment from Christ’s teachings. Atheism claims freedom from superstition, fear and irrational thought. (To Atheist: This is my understanding. I am not afraid of correction.) Do you gain any semblance of peace or enlightenment from your stance? Your way of thinking is thought provoking. Dose it create opportunity for growth? Is it a discipline that can be studied to gain further knowledge? What is your stance on religion? What is your stance on the Bible? These are a few of the questions I have. Please drop links and comments accordingly. If you will. Pease and thank you.

This is the power of sophistry and language.

Deepsight dresses up nonsense with big words and poetic rhetoric.......then some gullible theist eats up the bullsheir as some new way of thinking and intelligence.

3 Likes

Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by plaetton: 8:19pm On Dec 28, 2013
texanomaly:

I am a newbie. Can you drop a link or two for me? I am curious about the origins of your way of thinking. How did you come to these conclusions? Christianity claims growth and enlightenment from Christ’s teachings. Atheism claims freedom from superstition, fear and irrational thought. (To Atheist: This is my understanding. I am not afraid of correction.) Do you gain any semblance of peace or enlightenment from your stance? Your way of thinking is thought provoking. Dose it create opportunity for growth? Is it a discipline that can be studied to gain further knowledge? What is your stance on religion? What is your stance on the Bible? These are a few of the questions I have. Please drop links and comments accordingly. If you will. Pease and thank you.

Sorry honey.
There is nothing new about that way of thinking.
You have not come across it because it had already gone the way of the Dodo Bird
long long time ago.
lol.

2 Likes

Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by plaetton: 8:24pm On Dec 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

Deepsight dresses up nonsense with big words and poetic rhetoric.......then some gullible theist eats up the bullsheir as some new way of thinking and intelligence.

Remember,
In the beginning was the word,..... and the word was with Deepsight.
lol. smiley
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by texanomaly(f): 8:30pm On Dec 28, 2013
Logicboy03:

I read your rants too LB. Hmmmm…I guess I am gullible.

plaetton:

Sorry honey.
There is nothing new about that way of thinking.
You have not come across it because it had already gone the way of the Dodo Bird
long long time ago.
lol.

I never said I have never come across it. I simply asked for his take on it.

To both of you: I didn’t ask for your input. Did I
tongue
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by DeepSight(m): 8:40pm On Dec 28, 2013
texanomaly:

Thanks for your inquiries my dear, and don't worry yourself with the frustrated duo above, lol.

I will come back in a bit with a few comments on yours.

Cheers.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by texanomaly(f): 8:41pm On Dec 28, 2013
Deep Sight:

Thank for your inquiries my dear, and don't worry yourself with the frustrated duo above, lol.

I will come back in a bit with a few comments on yours.

Cheers.

Thank you. smiley
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by DeepSight(m): 12:03am On Dec 29, 2013
texanomaly:

I am a newbie. Can you drop a link or two for me? I am curious about the origins of your way of thinking.

Really to be honest, I don't think it is necessary to refer to old threads, for two reasons. One, there are too many of them on too many different topics, and two: they may not be particularly useful in light of the fact that you already express a firm belief in God.

How did you come to these conclusions? Christianity claims growth and enlightenment from Christ’s teachings. Atheism claims freedom from superstition, fear and irrational thought. (To Atheist: This is my understanding. I am not afraid of correction.) Do you gain any semblance of peace or enlightenment from your stance? Your way of thinking is thought provoking. Dose it create opportunity for growth? Is it a discipline that can be studied to gain further knowledge?

Well the pursuit of Truth has been a life long passion since I was a child. It has led me through a labyrinth of religions and philosophies from around the globe. As such I have been orthodox christian, Jehovah's witness, Buddhist enthusiast, Islamic reader and enthusiast, studied such works as the Grail Message, and Confucian, Taoist and Hindu teachings, studied with the Rosicrucian Order, been agnostic, and even briefly atheist. While these varied excursions have been greatly enlightening for me, I am not certain that they are useful or necessary for everyone. The pursuit of truth is necessary for this life: but each will find his or her way within the trajectory of life.

Today, I am quite settled, and for a long time too, as a believer in the existence of God and purpose in creation. I believe that the earth is a school, where souls come to learn and improve their spiritual strength, consciousness and enlightenment. I believe in Karma.

What is your stance on religion?

For a long time I was a great antagonist of religion, as you will see in many of my older posts, and went to great lengths to criticize and deconstruct most religious tenets which I saw as false and absurd. I no longer believe that this is necessary or even wise, except where the most extreme and harmful religious practices are concerned. I now understand that religion plays a critical part in the spiritual and social evolution of man, and that many people still need its crutches to understand and apprehend their world, and make sense of their existence. This is not something to begrudge anybody, so long as it is benign, and so long as it is not laced with unreasonable prejudices and unreasonable intolerance. Indeed there are many core benefits for mankind within religion, even though I feel that the truly liberated and developed spirit does not need it's crutches and its limitations.

In terms of particular discipline, I only seek to practice love of all mankind and nature, I commune with my God quietly by myself, and I believe very strongly in charity, fostering help, and avoiding all forms of ill will or negativity whatsoever.

Deep meditation on existential reality is also an abiding habit and obsession, but not one I would recommend for anyone, for it can lead to existential distraction. Living a wholesome, passionate and loving life with goals towards the improvement of humanity as a whole is thus, in my mind, a more simple and necessary target for everyone.

What is your stance on the Bible?

A grand and profound collection it no doubt is, and I still retain my copy amongst many other scriptures of other religions and walks of life. However it is a fact that the bible has been significantly tampered with, does not represent the whole of scripture, and is by no means strictly without error.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by mazaje(m): 12:08am On Dec 29, 2013
Deep Sight:
A grand and profound collection it no doubt is, and I still retain my copy amongst many other scriptures of other religions and walks of life. However it is a fact that the bible has been significantly tampered with, does not represent the whole of scripture, and is by no means strictly without error.

Do you believe that the bible contains the words of the creator of the universe?. . .What do you mean by the bible not representing the whole of scripture?. . .
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by DeepSight(m): 12:29am On Dec 29, 2013
mazaje:

Do you believe that the bible contains the words of the creator of the universe?. . .

I can only say that the bible certainly contains grave existential wisdom and depth, and is highly instructive for spiritual development in many ways. Nonetheless it is also representative of the many deep seated cultural and ethnic prejudices, superstitions, barbarisms and intolerance of its writers.

What do you mean by the bible not representing the whole of scripture?. . .

You know very well the history of the compilation of the bible in that regard.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by MrTroll(m): 12:36am On Dec 29, 2013
grin grin grin

Chai! Dem don do deepsight strong thing for this thread.

I don laugh tire! Chai!

@plaetton, wiegraf and mazaje una no well I swear down!

Deepsight has given a new meaning to "in the beginning was the word, and the word was god!"

1 Like

Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by UyiIredia(m): 12:42am On Dec 29, 2013
Logicboy03:

plaetton:

Remember,
In the beginning was the word,..... and the word was with Deepsight.
lol. smiley

Haters tongue

@ plaetton's: Lol cheesy grin
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by texanomaly(f): 2:05am On Dec 29, 2013
Deep Sight:
Really to be honest, I don't think it is necessary to refer to old threads, for two reasons. One, there are too many of them on too many different topics, and two: they may not be particularly useful in light of the fact that you already express a firm belief in God.

Thank you

Deep Sight:
Well the pursuit of Truth has been a lifelong passion since I was a child. It has led me through a labyrinth of religions and philosophies from around the globe. As such I have been orthodox Christian, Jehovah's witness, Buddhist enthusiast, Islamic reader and enthusiast, studied such works as the Grail Message, and Confucian, Taoist and Hindu teachings, studied with the Rosicrucian Order, been agnostic, and even briefly atheist. While these varied excursions have been greatly enlightening for me, I am not certain that they are useful or necessary for everyone. The pursuit of truth is necessary for this life: but each will find his or her way within the trajectory of life.

Cool. (Simplistic word. I know, but apropos none the less.) If you kept a journal during this time, it would be a fascinating read. I’m sure.

Deep Sight:
Today, I am quite settled, and for a long time too, as a believer in the existence of God and purpose in creation. I believe that the earth is a school, where souls come to learn and improve their spiritual strength, consciousness and enlightenment. I believe in Karma.

I agree with the bolded. I would add; we came here to earth to gain a body. A body is a necessary component if we are to learn and improve spiritual strength, consciousness and enlightenment, as you stated. The physical body gives our souls an added test of self-control impossible to achieve in spirit form. This body gives us the opportunity to learn far more than our spiritual selves could possibly fathom.

Deep Sight:
For a long time I was a great antagonist of religion, as you will see in many of my older posts, and went to great lengths to criticize and deconstruct most religious tenets which I saw as false and absurd. I no longer believe that this is necessary or even wise, except where the most extreme and harmful religious practices are concerned. I now understand that religion plays a critical part in the spiritual and social evolution of man, and that many people still need its crutches to understand and apprehend their world, and make sense of their existence. This is not something to begrudge anybody, so long as it is benign, and so long as it is not laced with unreasonable prejudices and unreasonable intolerance. Indeed there are many core benefits for mankind within religion, even though I feel that the truly liberated and developed spirit does not need its crutches and its limitations.

I agree with much in this paragraph. I feel the need to point out one thing though. Religion is only limiting if one allows it to be.

Deep Sight:
In terms of particular discipline, I only seek to practice love of all mankind and nature, I commune with my God quietly by myself, and I believe very strongly in charity, fostering help, and avoiding all forms of ill will or negativity whatsoever.

Nice! You sound like a hippie from ‘60s. smiley Not necessarily a bad thing.

Deep Sight:
Deep meditation on existential reality is also an abiding habit and obsession, but not one I would recommend for anyone, for it can lead to existential distraction. Living a wholesome, passionate and loving life with goals towards the improvement of humanity as a whole is thus, in my mind, a more simple and necessary target for everyone.

There is nothing with which every man is so afraid as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming.
Soren Kierkegaard

Deep Sight:

I believe the bolded to be true.

Thank you for taking the time to do this. I do appreciate it. smiley
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by MrTroll(m): 2:22am On Dec 29, 2013
Tehehehehehe.

If I may ask, what exactly are the animals here for? Wetin their own spirit de hope to acheive inside their own body?

1 Like

Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by MrTroll(m): 2:26am On Dec 29, 2013
Sushieater I see you! wink
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by texanomaly(f): 2:26am On Dec 29, 2013
Mr Troll: Tehehehehehe.

If I may ask, what exactly are the animals here for? Wetin their own spirit de hope to acheive inside their own body?

That's in the bible. wink

Oh yeah, You don't believe anything in the bible. Use your rational mind. Why do you think animals are here on earth? What is their purpose? Maybe you don't think they have one. I'm interested to know your thoughts on the matter. Pray tell, Mr Troll.
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by sushieater: 2:42am On Dec 29, 2013
Mr Troll: Sushieater I see you! wink
smiley

Likewise sir. I hail
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by MrTroll(m): 2:42am On Dec 29, 2013
texanomaly:

That's in the bible. wink

Oh yeah, You don't believe anything in the bible
. Use your rational mind. Why do you think animals are here on earth? What is their purpose? Maybe you don't think they have one. I'm interested to know your thoughts on the matter. Pray tell, Mr Troll.
have I ever said @bold?
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by MrTroll(m): 2:44am On Dec 29, 2013
sushieater:
smiley

Likewise sir. I hail
put mouth for the matter na. E no de sweet you?
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by texanomaly(f): 3:27am On Dec 29, 2013
Mr Troll: have I ever said @bold?

So what is your stance. Hmmm I don't know anything about you really. What can be done about this?
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by sushieater: 3:30am On Dec 29, 2013
Mr Troll: put mouth for the matter na. E no de sweet you?

Lol. Na only eye I fit put for this current matter o. E dey sweet me but na viewing I dey. I guess I'm giving guests a run for their MB grin
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by MrTroll(m): 3:38am On Dec 29, 2013
texanomaly:

So what is your stance. Hmmm I don't know anything about you really. What can be done about this?

lol.

Love your neighbour as yourself. Thats not bad, is it?
Re: I Think We Need To Take Back Atheism From The Scientists.... by MrTroll(m): 3:40am On Dec 29, 2013
sushieater:

Lol. Na only eye I fit put for this current matter o. E dey sweet me but na viewing I dey. I guess I'm giving guests a run for their MB grin
grin

I de see you for many threads here o! You just de chop de clean mouth jejely. Na wa o.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dead For 23hours, Taken To Heaven & Hell, Sent Back With A Message / Photo: Agbanje Spirit Was Snap By My Pastor During Deliverance Service / Deep Knowledge Of Eartum, The Civilized Brother Of Yahweh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.