Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,896 members, 7,828,160 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor (34987 Views)

Breaking: Dr Oby Ezekwesili Likely next CBN Governor. To Replace Emefiele / Governor Of The Bank Of England Should Be Appointed As The Next CBN Governor. / Jonathan, Okonjo-iweala Tip Aig-imoukhuede As Next CBN Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Nobody: 11:45pm On Dec 28, 2013
36STATES:

Majority of the investors lost money because of the ponzi sheme being run by some of the banks and other institutions with the silent approval of Soludo and Ndi Onyiuke. The stock market has not recoverd uptill to day because investors are scared shit to invest again. The whole criticism directed against Sanusi is just tribal bigotry, though am not saying there is no corruption there. Corruption at CBN is a less evil to what Soludo, Ndi Onyuike and their boss OBJ did to investors in Nigeria.

Again Soludo wasn't qualified to head the CBN, though I doubt if there is any other Nigerian more qualified to do the job that time. It was a case of one eyed man in the land of the blind. First class degree from obscure university like UNN is not enough to qualify somebody to head CB in a serious country. Ghana would not have employed him to head their central bank were he a Ghanean. Govt should even shop overseas if the right person can't be found locally, that's the trend internationally. That office is too sensitive to be left in the hands of poeple with questionable pedigree.

You must be stewpid to call UNN obscure, maybe you should go tru Soludo CV again so that you can shut ur mouth. Tell us your academic profile and achievement.

2 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Solarpower(m): 11:56pm On Dec 28, 2013
PapaBrowne: I think the post of CBN would kind of belittle Elumelu. The guy is poised for much bigger. Boggling him down in regulatory bureaucracy would not cut it for Elumelu. The trending words today in global finance are impact investment, conscious capitalism and social entrepreneurship. Elumelu is at the forefront of these three with his Africapitalism model.

For a regulatory institution like CBN, we need folks who are long on policy framework design and implementation. A Soludo type who can easily create policy and convert it into practicality. Not a lot of people come to mind.
u get mouth. I dy feel ur intellect.
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by emmyoha87(m): 12:13am On Dec 29, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

Yoruba man is the right man! Which other group in Nigeria run banks and investments and the economy and are savvy at managing fiduciary duties? Yoruba!

I pray U don't propel such school of thought în ur Family and people around you(especially the younger one).
If you are not joking, then U my brother are Far From Reality!!!
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by funshint(m): 12:32am On Dec 29, 2013
Pls don't ask me how; Sanusi shld just go...That guy contributed so much to the high rate of unemployment in Nigeria. He shld just go and concentrate on his Emir of Kano ambition. Ever since that man goofed about the $48bn scandal I'd concluded that a thorough review of his activities as CBN gov. shld be done. I still wonder how U̶̲̥̅̊ just wake up one day and take the investments some pple laboured to establish and U̶̲̥̅̊ just sell them off in a jiffy #Intercontinental #Oceanic?? That guy is a pure tribalist and eediot. Wonder how he got that job. His tenure as CBN gov has been that of a draconian rule. A huge mistake for that matter. He only succeeded in destroying Soludo achievements; gush! May we never have such a tenure in this country again. Amen!!!

1 Like

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by hercules07: 12:37am On Dec 29, 2013
mbulela:
Being reserve bank governor is not about all that plenty talk that Rewane is always talking on tv. For the reserve bank governor,we need men with proven records of building institutions and team players not men who have been running one man consultancy most of their adult lives and spouting textbook economic on tv.
The case of Elumelu has been discussed earlier in this thread. We need to keep these banking cowboys far from our public space. Let them stick to enjoying their loot in the private space and keep deceiving gullible folks with all these videos posted here.

Atedo Peterside and Ben Akabueze are my choices, all these cowboy bankers that nearly killed the sector during Soludo's time should not move near the post.

1 Like

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Goldmind1(m): 1:01am On Dec 29, 2013
Yorubas should ask Jonathan for forgiveness for their misbehaviour and arrogancy b4 they can be considered for this post.

1 Like

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Nobody: 1:26am On Dec 29, 2013
I recommend Sarah Alade
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by naijaking1: 1:27am On Dec 29, 2013
mbulela:
Is that all? Or you are planning to say more? Cos I ma struggling to see the foresighted and innovation you are ttalking about.
The wrong I see that SOS did was that he was selectively his treatment. It is ashamed that an AIG ended up buying Erastus bank. Both deserved the same treatment.
Akingbola's house was built on quicksand.
Those cowboys and lady were empowered by Soludo to exhibit gross financial rascality.
Leave all that story about providing jobs. Do you know how many jobs he and his likes created. We need to stop hiding behind that excuse when addressing failures. after all, robbers are creating jobs for economy too,abi you no know?

Akingbola's house was built on quicksand, because some people in Nigeria didn't appreciate a man who would build something as large as Intercontinental from nothing. He employed thousand of Nigerians too.
When you say banking cowboys, I have a feeling you mean capitalists. Banking and business are the market to make money, no pretense!
It's govermental's job to regulate, the problem with you and Sanusi has been that you made up your mind from day 1 about who has made too much money and who has been more greedy than others. Well greed is not a crime.

That Soludo allowed bankers to do whatever they liked is also not understanding the issue. How do you like me now?
Sanusi that didn't allow bankers to do whatever they like, how's that turning out for you?.
He has put in place many shortsighted restriction, also measures to stiffle the economy all in the name of "control", he wants bankers to respect him as emir!

At the end of the day, he too is also greedy as you can see. Worse still he wants no regulation of his own greed. Humans are born to be greedy, and that's good.
That's called capitalism. However, it has to be regulated.
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by naijaking1: 1:31am On Dec 29, 2013
funshint: Pls don't ask me how; Sanusi shld just go...That guy contributed so much to the high rate of unemployment in Nigeria. He shld just go and concentrate on his Emir of Kano ambition. Ever since that man goofed about the $48bn scandal I'd concluded that a thorough review of his activities as CBN gov. shld be done. I still wonder how U̶̲̥̅̊ just wake up one day and take the investments some pple laboured to establish and U̶̲̥̅̊ just sell them off in a jiffy #Intercontinental #Oceanic?? That guy is a pure tribalist and eediot. Wonder how he got that job. His tenure as CBN gov has been that of a draconian rule. A huge mistake for that matter. He only succeeded in destroying Soludo achievements; gush! May we never have such a tenure in this country again. Amen!!!

Thank you
The worst fear is that we have people who are supporting him based on tribalism, religion, and shallow understanding. It's only in the primitive era than a stronger man would wake up, take another mans property, finds reasons or allegations for doing so, and still the society would support him.
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by naijaking1: 1:41am On Dec 29, 2013
PapaBrowne:

Strangely, I would tell you that I actually like Sanusi . Nigeria needs men like him, but surely not as CBN governor. He would do much better as an EFCC chairman. He did badly as a CBN governor as we recorded insane monetary policies in his tenure. I dont know where you live, but if you live in Nigeria, you would notice the scarcity of change. If you are an economist, you would understand the impact of something as simple as that on the economy at large. I would explain in simpler terms with a story. I tried to buy newspapers yesterday but the vendor had no change and I had no change. I didnt buy the paper any longer. I tried to buy a bottle of Sprite a few days ago. It costs 120 Naira. The seller had no change. I didnt but any longer. If this is not fixed, either of two things would happen. Either the quantity of goods been sold would go down or the price of goods would go up. Either way, it would slow down the economy. But its has run on for months and the CBN Governor has refused to do anything about it. I hope my long epistle helps explain the impact of Sanusi's intellectual limitations.

Thanks for all your educational points about this issue from day#1
The points seem very clear, and sometimes I get frustrated at how many people just don't get it!
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by DisGuy: 2:10am On Dec 29, 2013
You mention Sanusi and Naijaking1 wont leave everything to be on here >>> tufiaka!! cheesy

Madam Okereke I'm a PhD holder is you're main antagonist, you just let her off like that well she is not a northerner so not too surprised

that NSE did some many people strong thing sha!!

1 Like

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by naijaking1: 2:15am On Dec 29, 2013
Dis Guy: You mention Sanusi and Naijaking1 wont leave everything to be on here >>> tufiaka!! cheesy

Madam Okereke I'm a PhD holder is you're main antagonist, you just let her off like that well she is not a northerner so not too surprised

that NSE did some many people strong thing sha!!

No time for some faceless guy who has refused to change their opinion about Sanusi after all these blunder. If you lost money because of his unusual banking activities, you'd understand.
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by ice234: 4:49am On Dec 29, 2013
So at this age and time, people are still tribalist. Calling on Yorubas to govern CBN even when we have a better capaable hand.... Please house let's focus on the right man for the job and not the best yoruba man for the job, aren't we one Nigeria again?
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by MayorofLagos(m): 6:01am On Dec 29, 2013
CHESSBOARD:

You must be stewpid to call UNN obscure, maybe you should go tru Soludo CV again so that you can shut ur mouth. Tell us your academic profile and achievement.

UNN is a third tier University abeg. Stop noise!
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by MayorofLagos(m): 6:47am On Dec 29, 2013
emmyoha87:

I pray U don't propel such school of thought în ur Family and people around you(especially the younger one).
If you are not joking, then U my brother are Far From Reality!!!

Do I sound like Im joking? Name a Nigerian tribe better than Yoruba at leading successful corporate and public administrations or running growth strategies and government policies.

Gej's administration is politically delinquent and morally insolvent. Where should he go to turn his scorecard green? He cant go to East, thats all he is sorrounded with now and they helped sank him this deep; they dont have the technocrats and bureacrats needed to get him out. The best brain you have in East is NOI, a Harvard graduate and director of World Bank with zero instinct for running an efficient economy or managing policies. She was sent out of the same occupied position when her incompetencies as a decision maker became obvious to Gej's predecessor.

Who vetted her for a return to the job? Another incompetent bureacrat from East?

It ought to enter Guinness World records as an unsolved human mystery that the pair of a Harvard graduate who also was a World Bank Director and a two times Finance Minister, served in a ruling capacity with a Phd University Professor who had seasoned stints first as a Deputy Governor, then as Governor of a State, upgraded to VP and then a elected President, yet they could not steer the affairs of a Nation half as efficiently and prosperously as was done by a 32yr old Gowon who had no more than a secondary school education and rudimentary military trade schools or another 35yr old Obasanjo with similar education as Gowon but innately savvy in the management and administration of manpower and political states.

Yes, I agree, we need the Best man for the job! Ibos are not known for producing "best man for the job". If they did, with as many Ibos that serve as pillars of his administration, Jonathan should be rocking as the best regime we ever had in this country. In fact, if he was sorrounded by as many Yorubas as he had Ibos, the finance ministry, aviation, education, and so on, should be enjoying similar encomiums as is directed towards his Yoruba Agric Minister, Mr Adesina.

We need an Adesina type for CBN.
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Tinyemeka(m): 7:01am On Dec 29, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

Yoruba man is the right man! Which other group in Nigeria run banks and investments and the economy and are savvy at managing fiduciary duties? Yoruba!
Ok. Let's go there...
Agbor! Dummy. Go figure.
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by abbakacici: 7:05am On Dec 29, 2013
CHESSBOARD:

yes he is the most educated CBN, but our stock market collapse during his tenure, just because he is afraid/corrupted of the banks CEOs or he don't want few people to loss their jobs. and do you GUYs know that Mohammed Arzika the minister of commutation that brought GSM to nigeria is the less educated minister in the history of nigeria and is the only minister project with a visible impact on nigeria
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Nobody: 7:12am On Dec 29, 2013
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by MayorofLagos(m): 7:18am On Dec 29, 2013
chima12: Here is a list of the most recent cbn governors

Joseph oladele sanusi - yoruba
Charles Soludo. - Igbo
Sanusi lamido. -hausa

All these tribalist asking for a yoruba to replace sanusi should go and drink rat poison.the next cbn governor cannot be yoruba.there are better qualified candidates from delta,edo,and other southsouth states who can fill that vacancy.

Give us a SS standard to use as yardstick.
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by bossboss1: 7:49am On Dec 29, 2013
[/color][color=#006600]
PapaBrowne: I think the post of CBN would kind of belittle Elumelu. The guy is poised for much bigger. Boggling him down in regulatory bureaucracy would not cut it for Elumelu. The trending words today in global finance are impact investment, conscious capitalism and social entrepreneurship. Elumelu is at the forefront of these three with his Africapitalism model.

For a regulatory institution like CBN, we need folks who are long on policy framework design and implementation. A Soludo type who can easily create policy and convert it into practicality. Not a lot of people come to mind.

Sensible stuff. I hardly make comments on here as the forum's been hijacked by propagandists of various govt and political interests. You read most comments and marvel at the level of enlightenmnet of the youths of this country. Whatever..rants over! Back to the matter:

Your point on Mr Tony is spot on. Unfortunately I think Aig-imokhuede is the annointed one by the presidency and Mrs know-it-all Iweala. Of course you know why, he is a piece of the same cloth. Merit hardly count in this current set up. Plus his inlaw is the head of BOI, and he's a very familiar face in the corridors of Aso.

To date, it baffles everyone in the know how a bank is sold to her biggest debtors (Mr Aig and his rogue banker friend Herbert Wigwe). Just as we have the likes of NOI (who is making progress for the country only on ppt slides), Deziani, SLS, its the season of corporate rogues and hypocrites with the Ivy league facade. This administration cherishes those types as such will favour one close to that to be next gov.

Merits died a long time ago.

Cheers,
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Nobody: 8:21am On Dec 29, 2013
Peterwins:

^^^^^^Kindly correct the highlighted above. William C Dudley is the President of federal Reserve Bank of New York (one of the twelve (12) Federal Reserve Banks of the US) and not the head of the US Federal Reserve System currently chaired (headed) by Ben Bernanke.

I wish Nigeria can truly operate federalism as practiced by the US.

Tony Elumelu This must be a joke.

Well, if SLS can be appointed as CBN governor why not Elumelu or Fred Ajudua the 419 Kingpin. The joke continues......

My bad for the mix-up - thanks for the correction, bruddah.
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Nobody: 8:40am On Dec 29, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:
Do I sound like Im joking? Name a Nigerian tribe better than Yoruba at leading successful corporate and public administrations or running growth strategies and government policies.

Gej's administration is politically delinquent and morally insolvent. Where should he go to turn his scorecard green? He cant go to East, thats all he is sorrounded with now and they helped sank him this deep; they dont have the technocrats and bureacrats needed to get him out. The best brain you have in East is NOI, a Harvard graduate and director of World Bank with zero instinct for running an efficient economy or managing policies. She was sent out of the same occupied position when her incompetencies as a decision maker became obvious to Gej's predecessor.

Who vetted her for a return to the job? Another incompetent bureacrat from East?

It ought to enter Guinness World records as an unsolved human mystery that the pair of a Harvard graduate who also was a World Bank Director and a two times Finance Minister, served in a ruling capacity with a Phd University Professor who had seasoned stints first as a Deputy Governor, then as Governor of a State, upgraded to VP and then a elected President, yet they could not steer the affairs of a Nation half as efficiently and prosperously as was done by a 32yr old Gowon who had no more than a secondary school education and rudimentary military trade schools or another 35yr old Obasanjo with similar education as Gowon but innately savvy in the management and administration of manpower and political states.

Yes, I agree, we need the Best man for the job! Ibos are not known for producing "best man for the job". If they did, with as many Ibos that serve as pillars of his administration, Jonathan should be rocking as the best regime we ever had in this country. In fact, if he was sorrounded by as many Yorubas as he had Ibos, the finance ministry, aviation, education, and so on, should be enjoying similar encomiums as is directed towards his Yoruba Agric Minister, Mr Adesina.

We need an Adesina type for CBN.

Sir, I don't think this should be about tribe since it's the apex bank in country - and ethnic interests shouldn't be attached to that. Mark Carney, the Governor of the Bank of England, is not British - he's Canadian. Despite London being the financial capital of the world (yes, ahead of New York). The UK has tons of great economists, however, non can compete with Carney's track-record and how he was able to manage the financial crises of two countries (Canada and Russia). That's what Nigeria also needs to do.

Anyway, SLS has done a good job, though he has his shortcomings, with his loose talks and Northern sentiments. He's definitely one of the most eloquent and articulate Nigerian I've seen in interviews. However, he was able to stabilise the banking system in Nigeria, after the bubble created by his predecessor and the bankster bandits. If not for his timely intervention - the country's banking system would have crashed. However, my only reservation about him is his romance with Christine Lagarde - and probably his never ending trips to London. I still don't know how much of Nigeria's money, both him and Iweala, wasted on those worthless EU bonds - to bail out the EU. I read about it in Financial Times time ago. Also, his cashless policy is like putting the cart before the horse. Nigeria isn't ripe for that yet - everything has to be done in stages.

But the guy on this thread should never be allowed near the Central Bank. Else, he would sell the whole country. grin

1 Like

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by nex(m): 8:54am On Dec 29, 2013
This has nothing to do with tribe, or any other sentimental arguments some of you are putting up. Aig Aig-Umokuhede of Access Bank retired recently in preparation for that position which he'll take up next year.

The man has been loyal to GEJ, and he's helped a lot of PDP members to "manage" their financial portfolio.
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Navalsadiq(m): 8:55am On Dec 29, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

well common sense is not actually common.they were the same once running the banks when it almost collapsed and soludu who happen to be an igbo came and consolidated the whole sector.the only fin a yoruba man knows how to do is to make noise.

1 Like

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by ichidodo: 9:27am On Dec 29, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

UNN is a third tier University abeg. Stop noise!
I'm not suprised since this coming from a product of a fifth tier Yoruba- University
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by nku5: 9:35am On Dec 29, 2013
@ OP - Tony Elumelu hasn't got the risk management acumen to be a CBN governor as the post demands in todays markets. A bullish market needed a soludo but the current status quo requires a careful and almost conservative hand.

Elumelu never! I like that Boyo man instead(I've forgotten his first name). Tony is too much of a financial systems man and cowboy for the job
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Nobody: 9:47am On Dec 29, 2013
op shey na nairalanders go decide ni? angry
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by kolexy(m): 9:48am On Dec 29, 2013
abbakacici: Minister of finance south east
SEC south east
Debt management office south east
Amcon south east
ifrs south south
NDIC north west.
Which leave south west, north central and north east with no representation when it comes to financial banking or economic matters, because it the most advance country in the world used quota system, for example canada divide jobs between French and English, in USA a black Latino with 70 percent has a better chance of getting a job or admission then white with 80 percent if the school or organization is dorm inmate by white, and in Belgium jobs are dividen between German and French the list goes on. The only different between this countries and nigeria is that they look for the best black, French or German for the job to make them look diverse unlike nigeria where we look for any tom dick or Harry

You forgot to add Orji of Sovereign wealth fund.
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Pukkah: 9:53am On Dec 29, 2013
mad nigerian:

If he did not complete his course.....how did he get the First Bank Job? First bank, when last I checked , employed people with qualifications, not people without. And First Bank did very well under his stewardship. Or, have Nigerian banks started giving jobs to people who are not qualified?

You don't need to have a Masters to work in a bank or become its MD in Nigeria.

How did First Bank do well under the stewardship of someone that was the MD for about 3 months?

Sanusi became FirstBank MD in January 2009 and left in March of the same year.
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Afam4eva(m): 10:02am On Dec 29, 2013
shymexx:

Sir, I don't think this should be about tribe since it's the apex bank in country - and ethnic interests shouldn't be attached to that. Mark Carney, the Governor of the Bank of England, is not British - he's Canadian. Despite London being the financial capital of the world (yes, ahead of New York). The UK has tons of great economists, however, non can compete with Carney's track-record and how he was able to manage the financial crises of two countries (Canada and Russia). That's what Nigeria also needs to do.
How can London be the financial capital of the world when it's not even the financial capital of Europe. Frankfurt has that title. I think you meant to say Commercial but even that title belongs to new York and deep down you're aware of that.

@topic
I think the best should be appointed devoid of tribal sentiments.
Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by kshankky(m): 10:14am On Dec 29, 2013
Let the best man occupy the position

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Photo Of Suzette Wike And Her Children / Amaechi Rejects Governor Wike's Award, Says "It's Poisoned Chalice" / Opeyemi Kadiri: Police Dismisses Officer For Searching Mobile Phones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.