Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,707 members, 7,816,906 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:51 PM

Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor (34927 Views)

Breaking: Dr Oby Ezekwesili Likely next CBN Governor. To Replace Emefiele / Governor Of The Bank Of England Should Be Appointed As The Next CBN Governor. / Jonathan, Okonjo-iweala Tip Aig-imoukhuede As Next CBN Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Nobody: 12:25pm On Dec 28, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KF0hFB_WX4

Nigeria needs a CBN Governor who understands the importance of growth and Nation Building and support to Small Businesses

what are your thoughts guys?

3 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by dejt4u(m): 12:42pm On Dec 28, 2013
We need a yoruba man this time around

13 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Nobody: 1:33pm On Dec 28, 2013
dejt4u: We need a yoruba man this time around
we need the right man for the job

167 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by jarkbauer: 1:35pm On Dec 28, 2013
WE NEED AN IJAW MAN

2 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by solomon111(m): 1:44pm On Dec 28, 2013
dejt4u: We need a yoruba man this time around
yoruba ko,indian ni.
We need the right man or woman.

18 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by PapaBrowne(m): 1:48pm On Dec 28, 2013
I think the post of CBN would kind of belittle Elumelu. The guy is poised for much bigger. Boggling him down in regulatory bureaucracy would not cut it for Elumelu. The trending words today in global finance are impact investment, conscious capitalism and social entrepreneurship. Elumelu is at the forefront of these three with his Africapitalism model.

For a regulatory institution like CBN, we need folks who are long on policy framework design and implementation. A Soludo type who can easily create policy and convert it into practicality. Not a lot of people come to mind.

42 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by donjazet(m): 1:49pm On Dec 28, 2013
We need someone who wld be able 2 deliver without political inteference, sm1 who wld work 2wards increasing the strenght of naira above Dollar. Who wld effectively introduce nd implement the use of credit cards truout the country. Nd also fully implement d cashless policy.

4 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Nobody: 1:51pm On Dec 28, 2013
I think Aig-Umokuhede of Access Bank is in contention.....and highly favored to clinch the job.

Sarah Alade or Tunde Lemo can however send some subtle message....

4 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by UyiIredia(m): 1:52pm On Dec 28, 2013
PapaBrowne: I think the post of CBN would kind of belittle Elumelu. The guy is poised for much bigger. Boggling him down in regulatory bureaucracy would not cut it for Elumelu. The trending words today in global finance are impact investment, conscious capitalism and social entrepreneurship. Elumelu is at the forefront of these three with his Africapitalism model.

For a regulatory institution like CBN, we need folks who are long on policy framework design and implementation. A Soludo type who can easily create policy and convert it into practicality. Not a lot of people come to mind.

Noteworthy. Quoted for emphasis.

3 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by PapaBrowne(m): 1:53pm On Dec 28, 2013
donjazet: We need someone who wld be able 2 deliver without political inteference, sm1 who wld work 2wards increasing the strenght of naira above Dollar. Who wld effectively introduce nd implement the use of credit cards truout the country. Nd also fully implement d cashless policy.

These are not the functions of a CBN governor. Managing the monetary angle of of an economy is much larger that strength of dollar a d cashless policy. Sanusi's belittled the position because of his intellectual limitations.

9 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Afam4eva(m): 1:59pm On Dec 28, 2013
PapaBrowne: I think the post of CBN would kind of belittle Elumelu. The guy is poised for much bigger. Boggling him down in regulatory bureaucracy would not cut it for Elumelu. The trending words today in global finance are impact investment, conscious capitalism and social entrepreneurship. Elumelu is at the forefront of these three with his Africapitalism model.

I think you're right. Elumelu iss a business man and won't be interested in taking up an administrative job such as the cbn governorship position especially based on the fact that he was reputed to have made over 100million dollars in one year alone. I doubt he would leave that to settle for a mushroom position. it doesn't befit his status.

4 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by MayorofLagos(m): 2:12pm On Dec 28, 2013
scipher: we need the right man for the job

Yoruba man is the right man! Which other group in Nigeria run banks and investments and the economy and are savvy at managing fiduciary duties? Yoruba!

16 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by alaoeri: 2:25pm On Dec 28, 2013
Charles Soludo - ibo
Sanusi - Hausa
Next CBN governor should be yoruba or else?

4 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by MayorofLagos(m): 2:26pm On Dec 28, 2013

I believe open letters have shocked the president into realities of his administration failures. The letters went beyond our shores and international observers are watching events. He will be doing himself great damage to put a Soludo type in CBN.

President needs an image maker, a redeemer. He will be looking for political credits at home and internationally and a solid technocrat in the like of his Agric Minister, Akinwunmi Adesina, will be the proper fit. Someone that international partners can respect; it will extend respect and redemption to the Preaident.

3 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by DahomeyAmazon(f): 2:29pm On Dec 28, 2013
PapaBrowne:

These are not the functions of a CBN governor. Managing the monetary angle of of an economy is much larger that strength of dollar a d cashless policy. Sanusi's belittled the position because of his intellectual limitations.
Sanusi's intellectual what? You come across as a bloody tribalist .

15 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:30pm On Dec 28, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

Yoruba man is the right man! Which other group in Nigeria run banks and investments and the economy and are savvy at managing fiduciary duties? Yoruba!

You are like a smelly piece of tribal feces. You see everything through your tribal lenses. Can't even reason properly because of your bigotry. You sound so much like EKO-ILE.

70 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Nobody: 2:34pm On Dec 28, 2013
Dahomey Amazon:
Sanusi's intellectual what? You come across as a bloody tribalist .

why do you people accuse others of tribalism when they hold a different view

I also think Sanusi's economic views and knowledge of the economy are half baked

7 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Tintinix: 2:37pm On Dec 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
I think you're right. Elumelu iss a business man and won't be interested in taking up an administrative job such as the cbn governorship position especially based on the fact that he was reputed to have made over 100million dollars in one year alone. I doubt he would leave that to settle for a mushroom position. it doesn't befit his status.

Think about what you can contribute to Nigeria and not what Nigeria can contribute to you.

He might just wanna do that!

6 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by DahomeyAmazon(f): 2:39pm On Dec 28, 2013
mikeansy:

why do you people accuse others of tribalism when they hold a different view

I also think Sanusi's economic views and knowledge of the economy are half baked
And soludo's?

6 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Nobody: 2:43pm On Dec 28, 2013
Dahomey Amazon:
And soludo's?

you can say what you like about Soludo

we are talking about Sanusi

its embarrassing that he has no clue how NNPC remits money to CBN

Even though Sanusi speaks with a good accent which makes him sound eloquent, his economics arguments when analysed on their merit is half baked!

26 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by yetunsbay(m): 2:45pm On Dec 28, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

You are like a smelly piece of tribal feces. You see everything through your tribal lenses. Can't even reason properly because of your bigotry. You sound so much like EKO-ILE.
free d guy only if he knw all is nt abt tribe.Only be urself,if na hausa,igbo,yoruba,tiv etc dey there jst say if na me i 4 do transparent govt.Wots d hell is tribal? In dis same universe whr wen it coms to money matter same pple fr a tribe no knw themselves again.Rather say,if am there i go do gud...

1 Like

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by DahomeyAmazon(f): 2:49pm On Dec 28, 2013
mikeansy:

you can say what you like about Soludo

we are talking about Sanusi

its embarrassing that he has no clue how NNPC remits money to CBN

Even though Sanusi speaks with a good accent which makes him sound eloquent, his economics arguments when analysed on their merit is half baked!
And soludo's?

What has that got to do with policy?

Who cleaned up soludo's mess in the banking sector?

Who crashed the stock exchange with half baked policies.

I wonder why you guys don't criticize your people but quick to fault others. Little wonder your governors are having a jolly ride.

12 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Nobody: 3:03pm On Dec 28, 2013
Afam4eva:

Agreed the man is a good business man, from what I just read on his CV. However, I honestly don't think he's qualified for the position, based on his experience on managing financial crises. 50 cent also made $100 million from the vitamin water deal, but that doesn't make him an economist (just comparing the business sense). Nigeria needs to stop settling for less - you lot need tested people, who understand the basics of managing a Central Bank. A proper economist and not a savvy business man. For example: a look at Mark Carney, the governor of the Bank of England's CV and experience alone, is enough to tell you what he's going to bring to the table. From his experience in the Russian financial crisis, to shielding Canada during 2000s financial meltdown. Same for William Dudley of the American Federal Reserve.

The question is: what experience has he got in the three major responsibilities of the Central Bank - managing a country's currency, money supply, and interest rates?

However, I like and admire his topnotch business IQ - especially this: "Elumelu made a name for himself when he acquired and turned Standard Trust Bank into a top-five player in Nigeria. In 2005, his corporate reputation as an African Business Leader was sealed when he led the largest merger in the banking sector in Sub-Saharan Africa to acquire United Bank for Africa (UBA). In five years he transformed it from a single-country bank, to a pan-African institution with over 7 million customers in 19 African countries." Highly impressive.

Moreover, his definition of Africapitalism is a tad bit confusing. On one hand, he alleges that it isn't capitalism - yet he also says: "it is a rallying cry for empowering the private sector to drive Africa’s economic and social growth." However, he wants it to be done without "nationalisation or government policies." That looks more like a ponzi scheme since Africans don't have full financial capabilities for full blown capitalism to thrive - else the people would have to be enslaved, for that to happen. With only 1% of the people owning 95% of everything. That's definitely not the future for Africa. The government still has to play a major role to drive the desired growth - either through partnership with the private sector - or subsidy.

13 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Nobody: 3:03pm On Dec 28, 2013
Dahomey Amazon:
And soludo's?

What has that got to do with policy?

Who cleaned up soludo's mess in the banking sector?

Who crashed the stock exchange with half baked policies.

I wonder why you guys don't criticize your people but quick to fault others. Little wonder your governors are having a jolly ride.

Sanusi did not clean up any mess

it is like a rain maker predicting there was going to be rain when there was none and then claim he stopped it

with ability to invent imaginary crisis like that we can all be heroes

this alarmist missing 50 billion that was not true is exactly how Sanusi exaggerated the economic crisis he claimed to have solved!

40 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by DisGuy: 3:08pm On Dec 28, 2013
this dude doesn't cut it one bit, he's a cowboy, buying invites to Obama dinners and photo ops with Bill Gates isnt good enough, lord knows tehre are many millionaires that can afford that!

Aig- Psstt

CBN needs an unknown face; anyway i'm sure madam Ngozi will certainly recommend someone for GEJ, we'll probably get the first female CBN
what about that woman that was in the FIRS previously

6 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Nobody: 3:10pm On Dec 28, 2013
Dis Guy: this dude doesn't cut it one bit, he's a cowboy, buying invites to Obama dinners and photo ops with Bill Gates isnt good enough, lord knows tehre are many millionaires that can afford that!

Aig- Psstt

CBN needs an unknown face; anyway i'm sure madam Ngozi will certainly recommend someone for GEJ, we'll probably get the first female CBN

that's actually true

may be there is a top notch economist out there that we have not heard of

may be someone new may be a good idea

2 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Nobody: 3:18pm On Dec 28, 2013
Dis Guy: this dude doesn't cut it one bit, he's a cowboy, buying invites to Obama dinners and photo ops with Bill Gates isnt good enough, lord knows tehre are many millionaires that can afford that!

Aig- Psstt

Bwahahahaha. The guy definitely looks like an highly educated fraudster. Africapitalism - buying up the darn continent, to enslave future generations via a ponzi scheme. grin

And Okonjo Iweala shouldn't recommend no one. With all her overloaded CV, she still can't manage the Nigerian economy - 10 years and still counting. However, The Chancellor of the Exchequer in the UK, George Osborne, who isn't as educated, with less experience, has been able to manage the UK's economy (a far bigger economy than Nigeria's) effectively, in just 3 years. God knows I don't like the Tories - but George Osborne is a freaking stud!

They need to look for an unknown economist in Nigeria that can do the job effectively.

4 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by IleIfe2(m): 3:24pm On Dec 28, 2013
Knew it. this was what the previous thread was about. Why not nominate the Obi of Onitcha. undecided undecided undecided undecided

Soludo has a first class. bla bla bla

https://www.nairaland.com/1571244/history-nigerian-central-bank-governors#20507482

1 Like

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by netotse(m): 3:29pm On Dec 28, 2013
@those saying Sanusi didnt do sh*t
you have to admit he has been able to get a grip on inflation, plus his stunt with the CRR is helping to reign in banks and their crazy profits.

I agree, TOE shouldnt be abywhere near CBN, I'd go with either Sarah Alade or Aig...

1 Like

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by lagbaja(m): 3:45pm On Dec 28, 2013
Bismack Rewane is the perfect man for the job

4 Likes

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by Nobody: 3:57pm On Dec 28, 2013

1 Like

Re: Tony Elumelu - The Next CBN Governor by OAM4J: 4:02pm On Dec 28, 2013
PapaBrowne:

Really?

That means he has been buying all those international awards like the Africa CBN Governor of the year he won like 2/3 times or those people who who awarded it are intellectually limited like him.

I also think you are of the higher intellectual order than Sanusi cos it takes someone who is intellectually higher to know who is intellectually limited.

Hmnnnnn..... am learning.

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

IPOB Kills Herdsman, Shoots Igbo Man’s 30 Cows In Enugu (Photo) / Atiku Speaks On US Support For His 2019 Presidential Bid / 'The Famine That Will Hit Nigeria This Year, Only God Can Save Us' - Jamil Mabai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.