Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,977 members, 7,817,878 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba (51479 Views)

Alafin's Supernatural Power Over Other Oba's In Yorubaland / Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ezeagu(m): 5:02pm On Dec 31, 2013
ak47mann: Yhe children can be brought up yoruba in some extent but their father will make sure that igbo culture sink inside them.... cool

Like the Igbo men sink their culture into their kids in Lagos? The people of Akure have nothing to worry about politically.

3 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by padeolu: 5:03pm On Dec 31, 2013
ezeagu:

Don't be silly.
that's how it is bro. I didn't make the rule, it has always been like that.

4 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by MayorofLagos(m): 5:06pm On Dec 31, 2013
ak47mann: Dike i her surname "DIKE" is a core igbo name you cannot deny that,she live with her husband in USA his name is still withheld at the moment cool

Calm down! Dike is not her surname, Dike is her married name; Adesida is her surname. I know you want to own Yorubaland and you are likely close to it if this proves true but until then, calm down.

We dont yet know who Dike is and if he is Ibo or not. Ibos answer Dike in Nigeria but so do foreigners outside Nigeria.

I am not biased on the truth of Dike being Ibo it just points to the carelessness of Yoruba in guarding their thrones against foreign invasion. Thats all!

3 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ak47mann(m): 5:07pm On Dec 31, 2013
ezeagu:

Like the Igbo men sink their culture into their kids in Lagos? The people of Akure have nothing to worry about politically.
True cool
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ChristyG(f): 5:07pm On Dec 31, 2013
ezeagu:

Don't be silly.
dere is nothing to be silly about,dat is d way it is.u do know she is not an oba.she is adele.when a new king is selected,she is out of dere.if d royal crown movews back to her family,she will not be considered.

4 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by nduchucks: 5:09pm On Dec 31, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

Yoruba women do not wear Babanriga.

Yoruba culture is cognizant of the male/female attributes and duality present in the cosmos and therefore there is no gender discrimination in a woman suited in Agbada if her office calls for it. She is at moment transcendental of her feminine gender.

Transcendental of her feminine gender? Try to explain what this means in simple terms if you are able. This idea of cross dressing as a cultural phenomenon is, to say the least, eye opening and borders on what many Yoruba people would classify as an abomination.

Is this practice limited to Akure or this type of Dan Daudu (cross dressing) attire common in Yoruba land?

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Nobody: 5:09pm On Dec 31, 2013
ak47mann: Dike i her surname "DIKE" is a core igbo name you cannot deny that,she live with her husband in USA his name is still withheld at the moment cool
we are talking about the blood, not name. What's in a name? I can decide to name my dog dike, does that make the dog igbo?

5 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ezeagu(m): 5:10pm On Dec 31, 2013
Christy G: dere is nothing to be silly about,dat is d way it is.u do know she is not an oba.she is adele.when a new king is selected,she is out of dere.if d royal crown movews back to her family,she will not be considered.

As I said before, don't be silly. She's the last Oba's first child and has been instated which means king makers back her. Who's going to take the crown from the Oba's first issue? Stop.

2 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Nobody: 5:14pm On Dec 31, 2013
When does a Regent Become a King? around 2000-2005 there was a female regent in akure too. not new

Besides she is yoruba so i dont get the igbo citizen thingy undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ezeagu(m): 5:15pm On Dec 31, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Transcendental of her feminine gender? Try to explain what this means in simple terms if you are able. This idea of cross dressing as a cultural phenomenon is, to say the least, eye opening and borders on what many Yoruba people would classify as an abomination.

Is this practice limited to Akure or this type of Dan Daudu (cross dressing) attire common in Yoruba land?

You people should just STOP. The followers of Sango tie rapper and braid their hair and call themselves the wives of Sango and you guys are here surprised at common knowledge: gender is fluid in many West African traditional societies and religions. Sango himself was said to have adopted his wife's braided hairstyle. [[url=books.google.com/books?id=yCJ71rRnzhgC&pg=PA65&dq="worn+by+Sango+priests+convey+the+idea+of"&hl=en&sa=X&ei=0-3CUvH0OYKx0QWk8oHYDQ&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22worn%20by%20Sango%20priests%20convey%20the%20idea%20of%22&f=false]Link[/url]] [[url=books.google.com/books?id=X3JSjO6_UvIC&pg=PA118&dq="His+hair+was+in+braids,+and+he+told+me+that+priests+of+Oya,+just+like+Sango+"&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Ou7CUvCKIoqM0AX6v4CYDg&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22His%20hair%20was%20in%20braids%2C%20and%20he%20told%20me%20that%20priests%20of%20Oya%2C%20just%20like%20Sango%20%22&f=false]Link[/url]]

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ak47mann(m): 5:15pm On Dec 31, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

Calm down! Dike is not her surname, Dike is her married name; Adesida is her surname. I know you want to own Yorubaland and you are likely close to it if this proves true but until then, calm down.

We dont yet know who Dike is and if he is Ibo or not. Ibos answer Dike in Nigeria but so do foreigners outside Nigeria.

I am not biased on the truth of Dike being Ibo it just points to the carelessness of Yoruba in guarding their thrones against foreign invasion. Thats all!
lolz Dike is a core igbo name it means warrior in my language,the throne will be pass on to her children in future which DIKE will reign for 1000 years in yorubaland cool

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by padeolu: 5:16pm On Dec 31, 2013
ezeagu:

As I said before, don't be silly. She's the last Oba's first child and has been instated which means king makers back her. Who's going to take the crown from the Oba's first issue? Stop.
its obvious you don't know how things are done in yorubaland. For sanity sake, drop the issue. Its better you desist from ur baseless argument and learn.

2 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ak47mann(m): 5:17pm On Dec 31, 2013
TribalEAST: we are talking about the blood, not name. What's in a name? I can decide to name my dog dike, does that make the dog igbo?
Do you really want me to answer your question?
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by MayorofLagos(m): 5:18pm On Dec 31, 2013
ndu_chucks:

The Yoruba Crown is sacred! There are two of them - the beaded crown and the coronet.

An Oba elect as well as regents wear coronets but only an Oba is allowed to wear the beaded crown.

Under the coronet you are 'a divinity'. This is what the transcendantal means.

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by MayorofLagos(m): 5:19pm On Dec 31, 2013
TribalEAST: we are talking about the blood, not name. What's in a name? I can decide to name my dog dike, does that make the dog igbo?

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ChristyG(f): 5:20pm On Dec 31, 2013
ezeagu:

u kno nothing about how kings are selected in yoruba.when a kings dies especially in dat akure area,d first daughter who step in as adele for some time before a new oba is selected.d king might be selected from another royal family or still stay in d same family(in some situations)when d new oba is selected,she leaves that position and goes back to her normal day life.her children are not in any position to become any oba.it doesnt happen day way

4 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ezeagu(m): 5:20pm On Dec 31, 2013
padeolu: its obvious you don't know how things are done in yorubaland. For sanity sake, drop the issue. Its better you desist from ur baseless argument and learn.

Okay, If I don't know, why don't you explain. Why can't the issue of the Oba who is already wearing the Oba's full regalia, be the Oba?

Because you know I'm dropping anything for you, I hope you know?
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Nobody: 5:20pm On Dec 31, 2013
From the things one reads on Nairaland by Igbos about Yoruba women I would never have thought Igbo people will come out publicly to say their kinsman married a Yoruba woman.....hmmmmm . By the way she is basically an interim Oba

9 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ChristyG(f): 5:23pm On Dec 31, 2013
ezeagu:

Okay, If I don't know, why don't you explain. Why can't the issue of the Oba who is already wearing the Oba's full regalia, be the Oba?

she is not wearing full oba regalia.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ak47mann(m): 5:25pm On Dec 31, 2013
Christy G: u kno nothing about how kings are selected in yoruba.when a kings dies especially in dat akure area,d first daughter who step in as adele for some time before a new oba is selected.d king might be selected from another royal family or still stay in d same family(in some situations)when d new oba is selected,she leaves that position and goes back to her normal day life.her children are not in any position to become any oba.it doesnt happen day way
for example if you are on her shoes will you disown your children because their father is not yoruba pls be honest.

To my best knowledge her children is entitle,any of them can sit on that throne after her cool
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ChristyG(f): 5:25pm On Dec 31, 2013
ak47mann: lolz Dike is a core igbo name it means warrior in my language,the throne will be pass on to her children in future which DIKE will reign for 1000 years in yorubaland cool
dike aint reigning anything.it is d woman family which is adesida

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Nobody: 5:26pm On Dec 31, 2013
ezeagu:

she actually cant wear the full regallia .
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ezeagu(m): 5:27pm On Dec 31, 2013
Christy G: u kno nothing about how kings are selected in yoruba.when a kings dies especially in dat akure area,d first daughter who step in as adele for some time before a new oba is selected.d king might be selected from another royal family or still stay in d same family(in some situations)when d new oba is selected,she leaves that position and goes back to her normal day life.her children are not in any position to become any oba.it doesnt happen day way

So she isn't a full Oba then? Can females be Oba in Akure at all then and if so can she be picked? Because she was quoted as if she is is reigning currently as an Oba.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ChristyG(f): 5:29pm On Dec 31, 2013
ak47mann: for example if you are on her shoes will you disown your children because their father is not yoruba pls be honest.

The my best knowledge her children is entitle,any of them can sit on that throne after her cool
u are not getting it,d woman herself is not an oba.women are not oba except regent(adele).yoruba society is patrilineal.so dey can not ascend to any throne

5 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by MayorofLagos(m): 5:32pm On Dec 31, 2013
ak47mann: lolz Dike is a core igbo name it means warrior in my language,the throne will be pass on to her children in future which DIKE will reign for 1000 years in yorubaland cool

Lol. You took my liberty of saying King Dike too far. Here is how it works in Yorubaland.

To be crowned an Oba you must be patrilinealy in line to succession. Waivers are created in extreme circumstances and matrilineality is considered. In a waiver, the candidate's patrilineal line must belong in one of Yoruba totem cults and as well deities.

It will take a waiver to ever get any of her children to put on the coronet or beaded crown. If such were granted, their father must be of a Yoruba totem family and deity.

9 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Nobody: 5:33pm On Dec 31, 2013
ezeagu:

So she isn't a full Oba then? Can females be Oba in Akure at all then and if so can she be picked? Because she was quoted as if she is is reigning currently as an Oba.

Females cant be obas but they can be regents. this happened in akure around 2002-2003 i think. the next oba would be from the other ruling family now probably. but yes she is the de factor oba but she cant put the original deji crown on her head. Akure monarchy isn't fully patriarchal so the oldest child can act before a new king is picked. But her kids cant be kings . the Adesida family is big anyway.

6 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ChristyG(f): 5:35pm On Dec 31, 2013
ezeagu:

it is just for a short while until a real oba is picked.her position is just for a short while dat is why she doesnt wear d full crown an oba wears.so she cant be picked.something times d oba is selected from another royal family and not hers
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Nobody: 5:36pm On Dec 31, 2013
I don't think her children will be kings after her, but somewhere down the line, the throne might still pass to one with a little igbo blood.

There are about 3 ruling families in that part of akure (there are other royalties inside akure city like isolo that isn't under akure rulership), who rotates the kingship. Anything can happen though, even if her dike children gets the throne, they wouldn't answer the dike name, but Adesida.

3 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by MayorofLagos(m): 5:37pm On Dec 31, 2013
ak47mann: for example if you are on her shoes will you disown your children because their father is not yoruba pls be honest.

To my best knowledge her children is entitle,any of them can sit on that throne after her cool

grin again, you are being driven by your ownershio mentality. No they will never be qualified for the throne. My earlier mention of King Dike were assumptions, in reality they do not qualify to dorn a crown. They might in Iboland, not in Yorubaland.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by addictiv(m): 5:38pm On Dec 31, 2013
Pls the Ogoni's also answer Dike..same with the Ikwerre's not just Igbo. But she is just a reagent and she is fufuiling her role as the customs demand. Even if she was made Oba what is wrong with her n her kids being eligible to the throne if the customs say so? People just keep bringing up unesseccary arguments.smh

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ChristyG(f): 5:40pm On Dec 31, 2013
django1: I don't think her children will be kings after her, but somewhere down the line, the throne might still pass to one with a little igbo blood.

There are about 3 ruling families in that part of akure (there are other royalties inside akure city like isolo that isn't under akure rulership), who rotates the kingship. Anything can happen though, even if her dike children gets the throne, they wouldn't answer the dike name, but Adesida.
d kingship is patrilineal,so i dont think it will ever reach them.btw d adesida family is a big one,dey are lots of people to consider

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Nigerians React To Oba Of Lagos Palace Fire Incident / Oba Ewuare Rides In His Rolls Royce For Thanksgiving. PICS / Anambra Masquerade Burnt to Death During Cultural Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.