Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,108 members, 7,825,502 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:22 PM

Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons - Career (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons (181386 Views)

2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. / Towards Achieving Financial Independence! / Your Dream Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by octopusfreaky(f): 3:28pm On Apr 30, 2017
@xfire, Happy Sunday to you Sir. Keep on doing the good work, God bless you.Pls need your help. This is my e-mail address, preko994@gmail.com. I need yours tooo.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by ezzylee(m): 10:21pm On May 02, 2017
Good evening @xfire.
I'll be graduating with a 2.1 in information technology this July (currently putting finishing touches to my final year project).

My issue is I DJ as a hobby and people have been saying i should pursue it as a career since they feel I'm good at it and I've really been considering it . I also love technology and would love to tow the line of ”Management Information Systems" (mixture of business and technology).

I just need your career advice on what to do.

Thanks.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 12:45pm On May 03, 2017
ogunsinamayowa:

I'm a 200 level student of one of the top federal university in Nigeria. I have poor communication skill, which is becoming a great deal of source of concern for me. I have prioritized my plan to overcome the weakness, but I lack the path to follow, the procedure and efficient method to adopt.

Thus, I'm seeking for your help. I want you to put me through on the necessary path to follow, and the kind of activities that I need to get myself engaged into, as to conquered the weakness within 2 years. I'm aware that the mission will require sacrifice and patience. I'm ready for it, Sir. The only thing I need, now, is to know the method to adopt.

Thank you, Sir .
Communication is key. From your write-up, I can say your written English is not terrible so I am pretty sure your emphasis is on spoken English.
Will be back later in the day to give you a comprehensive response.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 12:47pm On May 03, 2017
octopusfreaky:
@xfire, Happy Sunday to you Sir. Keep on doing the good work, God bless you.Pls need your help. This is my e-mail address, preko994@gmail.com. I need yours tooo.
xfire2014@gmail.com
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 12:50pm On May 03, 2017
Destinyy22:
I really like to know you, you're the kind of person I like networking with, someone that would advance my reasoning and challenge me 24/7. Noticed you laid much emphasis on graduating with a first class, I consider that important too but trust me, it isn't all about the grade. I graduated with a first class from a highly recognized institution in Nigeria, I always thought I will have it easy after graduating with such grade but alas ! It hasn't been easy. The most important factor in really achieving one's dreams in a chosen career depends largely on self development, that's the aspect I 'm working on, would appreciate more advice from experienced minds.
Laid emphasis on first class? Lol. I didn't even graduate with first class myself.
And yea, I emphasise on self development. Grade is important but not enough.
Will be back later.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 12:51pm On May 03, 2017
ezzylee:
Good evening @xfire.
I'll be graduating with a 2.1 in information technology this July (currently putting finishing touches to my final year project).

My issue is I DJ as a hobby and people have been saying i should pursue it as a career since they feel I'm good at it and I've really been considering it . I also love technology and would love to tow the line of ”Management Information Systems" (mixture of business and technology).

I just need your career advice on what to do.

Thanks.
Interesting smiley
I will get back later.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by ogunsinamayowa(m): 6:59pm On May 03, 2017
xfire:

Communication is key. From your write-up, I can say your written English is not terrible so I am pretty sure your emphasis is on spoken English.

Thank you Sir for your response. My weakness is on speaking and communication. Communication in English and my native language is poor. I will wait for your full response.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by ogunsinamayowa(m): 9:12pm On May 12, 2017
xfire:

I'm still waiting for your response Sir.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by ezzylee(m): 9:23pm On May 12, 2017
@xfire also waiting on you sir.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by CellTabRepairs: 7:25pm On May 13, 2017
I never needed to search for jobs. I picked jobs. Train and equip yourself in a core competency or more than one. That's the engine room of enterprises and therefore your demand power base. Try to be like..."If i get it, fine; if I don't, I create one". That is how you can survive this economy!

Train yourself or empower others with this book to earn income; learn how to setup a smartphone service center. INVEST NOW. Billions of people use all kinds of mobile devices; that's a huge tech-support demand market! Get “Mobile phones & Tablets Repairs: A Complete Guide for Beginners & Professionals from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, eBay etc Now.

Click signature, view and get it immediately
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by habicab: 11:13am On May 16, 2017
Mr xfire and all our mentors in the house, I really commend your tireless efforts to ensure that everyone of us have the right tools to boost our career endeavors. May God continue to crown your efforts with brilliant success.

I am a graduate of mech. Engn and i currently work as a proccess operator in an indigenous waste management firm. I've been there for almost 2years now but because of the unstable conditions surrounding my job, i never stopped trying other options. I recently got a welding training program with Samsung heavy industries Nigeria under the supervision of NCDMB but it hasn't commenced yet. From the info i gathered, the training would be for a period of 3months after which there's no certainty of getting employed with them.
Kindly advice me on what to do because if i quit my job for the training, there's no certainty of being employed there even though the monthly stipend for the training is quite higher than what i earn at my work place. And also, the welding training, i believe is an opportunity to learn a vital skill which no one would want to miss.

Thanks.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by mylove4God(f): 7:08am On May 17, 2017
kaka22:
@xfire... I just finished reading your write up. Kudos to you for a job well done. I have to say that it was educative and informative. Thanks for sharing your experience...

Please Sir, can you send me the soft copy that you received. I know it has been a while that you got it but I came across this thread this morning. I would so much appreciate it. Thank you. My mail is blessingcharis@gmail.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by sweetilicious(f): 4:58am On May 21, 2017
xfire:
I'm back. Let me start from the very beginning, my undergraduate days

UNDERGRADUATE DAYS

I decided to go for engineering because I had a flair for mathematics and other core technical subjects. I wanted to work as a foremost engineer in a foremost engineering. That was my childhood dream.

LESSON 1: Identify what you love and have a flair for. You will most likely succeed at what you love doing most. I have a number of friends who have changed career paths (engineering to financial, financial to academic research, medicine to IT, etc) in order to follow their heart desires. And believe me, they are not doing badly at all! I know people who never wanted a paid white collar job. They always wanted to be entrepreneurs. And upon graduation, they started off on their own and they are doing very well. A well known example is Bill Gates who dropped out of school to start Microsoft. Today, he is one of the most influential successful entrepreneur in the world. I heard Seun Osewa's story is also similar. That is why it is funny to me when people, especially young entrepreneurs condemn paid 9-5 jobs. Money isn't everything. First of all, identify what you have a passion for. I desired to be an engineer in a top engineering company. My dream was never to start off as an entrepreneur. Some desire to be musicians, motivators, writers, doctors, entrepreneurs, etc. Focus on your dream. While it is very possible to succeed at what you don't desire, it is easier to succeed at what you love.
You are a darling for this piece
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by sweetilicious(f): 5:08am On May 21, 2017
xfire:

Performance entails a lot of things in the workplace depending on the organization, job role and expectation, and the people (boss, subordinates and colleagues).
Many organizations have different ways of appraising their staffs - some use grade system; some use KPI's (target setting); while others use ranking system. I won't bore you about the details but lemme list a few factors that affect performance:
1) People: From experience, managing people especially your boss, is the most important factor. You need to understand the expectation of your boss, and try to make his job a lot easier. Also, you need to have the ability to influence without authority to achieve results, especially when dealing with peers.
2) Visibility: Be visible. This is where communication skills and creativity come to play. Make your impact felt. Let senior colleagues and managers notice you. Perception matters a lot.
3) Key Performance Indicators (KPI) - commonly known as targets. Many organizations set periodic KPI's for their employees depending on job role. Ability to meet and exceed your KPI's influences your career growth.
4) Quality of work output - You can easily distinguish yourself from your peers based on the quality of work. As we often say 'the reward for good work is more work' i.e. added responsibility
5) Initiative - the ability to show initiative is also important. The ability to give an extra push inorder to get work done is key.
Other silent factors that sometimes influence performance are nepotism, eye service, ethnicity and favouritism. This can not be totally eradicated in the Nigerian setting, but people progress beyond those obstacles.

@ALL, I presently out of town and I'm sending this from my phone. I will update the thread as soon as I get back to my base.
Oh my!Can I hug you?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Bowlexzy(m): 7:33pm On Jun 04, 2017
Ideal Job Portal - McTimothy Associates
Human Resources Manager

Developing and implementing HR strategies and initiatives aligned with the overall business strategy. Bridging management and employee relations by addressing demands, grievances or other issues.

Keeps tabs on the growth of the company workforce over time.
Shows the effectiveness of organizational talent development.
Examines the growth in associated workers over time.
Gives perspective on the amount of labour and productivity lost due to sickness and otherwise unpredicted leave.

Leading and directing the human resource team to deliver a comprehensive HR service to the business
Employee relations, including managing absenteeism, grievances and sickness
Measuring employee satisfaction and identifying areas that require improvement

Apply here: http://www.ideal.com.ng/app?home/jobdetail/348/Human-Resources-Manager

More Jobs on our Nairaland Page https://www.nairaland.com/3836511/ideal-job-portal-connect-employers
Visit http://www.ideal.com.ng/ for more jobs
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Oxytocin(m): 11:47pm On Jun 05, 2017
I've being given this a thought for a while..
What are the professional certifications or programmes one should enrol for or have as a Chemical engineer to boost your prospects?

Cc. Xfire, Darellrivers
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Gerrard59(m): 12:39am On Jun 06, 2017
Oxytocin:
What are the professional certifications or programmes who should enrol for or have as a Chemical engineer to boost your prospects?

https://www.nairaland.com/3673580/what-certifications-should-enrol-fresh
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Oxytocin(m): 7:52pm On Jun 06, 2017
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by prinxmax(m): 10:49am On Jun 07, 2017
.Challenges facing Nigeria is to eradicate poverty and attain food security, agricultural competitiveness, and the sustainable management of the environment through accelerated commercialization and investment in Nigeria’s agriculture. The approach is to rely on market-oriented agriculture that relies primarily on the private sector for the needed investment and commercialization of agriculture". (IITA). The goal of our company - Green Nation and Value Chain Services Ltd is to provide solutions to two major challenges facing Farming in Nigeria: Accurate Knowledge, and Finance. Our product is the provision of Educational packages, on hand Training, Exposure to real farms around the country and abroad to mobilise a large number of our people to pursue careers in Farming, and in the building of Agric value chain factories in Nigeria.
It is important to mention that this will impact increased application of agricultural technology, creation of businesses and jobs, and improvement in the quality of rural life.
to solve the twine problem of training and finance, we came up with a program of mlm. your training money provides you the opportunity to refers other for training, for consultations and onsite trainings. through your referrals, you raise money for your agric business you have been trained on.
Join our team to build your dream in agriculture and exposure to trainings, consultation and finance to start your agro business.
Whatsap or call
+2347032618349
https:///5skvrbYL1rU7UKiEOh8nOY
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Kingofghosts(m): 3:31am On Jun 21, 2017
McWhillion:

check your inbox or spam
Sir, I just came across this thread now and I found the write ups very by xfire very inspiring. Would u please send me the full write-ups as i tried downloading it but the link is no longer active. Email add is kelvinity1@gmail.com
Thank you
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Kingofghosts(m): 3:46am On Jun 21, 2017
Good day everyone. I just came across this thread and I find it very motivating/inspiring. The few lessons I picked up are invaluable. However my search for knowledge has been truncated due to the nairaland attack that happened. Hence. I'm sincerely pleading to anyone that has the complete lessons by xfire to please send to my mail kelvinity1@gmail.com. I'ld be really grateful for the kind gesture.

@xfire, God bless you sir, please keep up the good work. Do you have some kind of mentorship program because i'ld really love to tap from your wealth of knowledge/experience. I sent you a mail already
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by islamics(m): 9:01pm On Jun 26, 2017
Kingofghosts:
Good day everyone. I just came across this thread and I find it very motivating/inspiring. The few lessons I picked up are invaluable. However my search for knowledge has been truncated due to the nairaland attack that happened. Hence. I'm sincerely pleading to anyone that has the complete lessons by xfire to please send to my mail kelvinity1@gmail.com. I'ld be really grateful for the kind gesture.

@xfire, God bless you sir, please keep up the good work. Do you have some kind of mentorship program because i'ld really love to tap from your wealth of knowledge/experience. I sent you a mail already
Check your mail.

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 10:39am On Jun 28, 2017
Oxytocin:
What are the professional certifications or programmes one should enrol for or have as a Chemical engineer to boost your prospects?

Cc. Xfire, Darellrivers
It pays to go for a Masters. Forget certification - not too relevant for chemical engineering except you want to diversify.

Be very good in computer skills e.g. excel, PowerPoint, word, matlab and a bit of hysys.

Do an HSE course too.

2 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 10:40am On Jun 28, 2017
Kingofghosts:

Thanks sir. Not yet
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Oxytocin(m): 4:25pm On Jun 28, 2017
xfire:

It pays to go for a Masters. Forget certification - not too relevant for chemical engineering except you want to diversify.

Be very good in computer skills e.g. excel, PowerPoint, word, matlab and a bit of hysys.

Do an HSE course too.
Thanks a lot
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by youngklem: 9:33am On Jul 15, 2017
hi guys,
its important i share this piece of info, so that you can Be the first to know about this Business in Your Locality that pays you 170$ Every Monday of the week for 52 weeks. Hurry to this link to secure your place http:///2utLCYA or chat me on WhatsApp on: +2347032338544

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by OgeLag(m): 2:58pm On Jul 18, 2017
K
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by obuksjr(m): 10:52pm On Aug 04, 2017
Nice thread.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Uthman2senior: 5:14pm On Sep 03, 2017
McWhillion:
Can u Tell me the problem you encountered so I could correct it.
Please send it to me too Uthman2senior@gmail.com

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (Reply)

Interview Question: 'What Time Are You Available To Start Work?' / How To Become A Nse, Coren Registered Engineer In Nigeria / CFA Candidates In The House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.