Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,110 members, 7,818,311 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:25 PM

should i study agric? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / should i study agric? (25931 Views)

Which University Can I Study Physiotherapy In Nigeria? / I Am Offered Admission To Study Agric Instead Of Medicine.should I Go Or Not / What Course Can I Study With This Waec Result? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: should i study agric? by benzion72(m): 5:56pm On Jan 04, 2014
I want to salute your courage so far in attempting JAMB and post JAMB. Also I do doff my cap for any self sponsoring guys. You are the real men who knows how to face life and who take personal responsibility for your life. Not like mummy and Daddy pet who are dependent on their parent.
Having said that MBBS is a field that will be relevant forever cause people will always have health challengies and they will also look for solution so Doctor will always have job. Though it is highly risky cause they too are at risk of the disease they are taking also too much knowledge of a thing draws it to you. As for Agriculture hmmmn I studied it personally. Though people will eat daily. Most problems in Agriculture has being solved so going to study what people have find solution to is not really challenging. 10 farms in America will feed the whole of Nigeria.
You can consider other courses like Pharmacy, Phisiotheraphy or other medical related course. Personally I feel courses in sociology are better than Agriculture because we have not being able to find solution to social problems

2 Likes

Re: should i study agric? by RexioKlasik(m): 6:01pm On Jan 04, 2014
Wat u do is dis; Start up with wat u have so dat ur brain cud b busy,den u retake jamb... Dnt stay at home idle!
Re: should i study agric? by isoh(m): 6:15pm On Jan 04, 2014
My bro to be very candid with you, don't go for agric , not because it's a bad course (in fact I know a lot of persons making it with agric) but because it was never your dream course. You will find it boring and may be not put in your best more also the pain and regret you will always feel anytime you see young doctors in future. In my days I was offered civil engrng when I applied for mechanical, though of same faculty, I refused the offer, did a predegree instead and was offered mechanical the following year. I did not only enjoyed the course, I came out the best graduate of the faculty in 2011 and am currently doing my masters in the same field.

Now since you have tried jamb twice and its like you are out of luck with JAMB, take an alternative that will sure land you in medicine. I will advice you go for IJMB(interim joint matriculation board). it will offer you a direct entry admission to year two of most medical schools in the north and west namely unilorin, ABU zaria, Uniben all private universities in the country etc. You can confirm this info in the current jamb brochure pg 2 section iic.
To get an IJMB form which is currently on sale, you can reach me on 08035812144 .
I hope my little essay will do some good.
Re: should i study agric? by IzyLuv(f): 6:24pm On Jan 04, 2014
I'm a medical student...i'll be honest with you.

If u keep up with this scores(very average) u have, d only way u'll get medicine is if u have money and long legs... And it must be veeerrry long... Or maybe, divine intervention

If u want medicine on merit(state or federal uni), without any hassles... U must be able to blow them(school admin) away...

Unzik cut a lil above 290(aggregate) or so for medicine dis year...

It means dat sum1 who had 260 in Jamb... And 280 in post Jamb..i.e agg=270, will not get medicine on MERIT in dat school... In a school like UNN, even if d Provost of college of medicine collects ur name, u might come to d board @ d end of d day and see ''combined social sciences''(dey love giving dat course ehh)... I honestly dnt understand dat school...

Back to the topic @ op.... Do ur agric. dear... Try Jamb while doin it i.e, if u're still passionate bout medicine.... But u'll need to put in more effort to upgrade ur score... Dig deeper...

GoodLuck!!!

2 Likes

Re: should i study agric? by maasoap(m): 6:32pm On Jan 04, 2014
IzyLuv: I'm a medical student...i'll be honest with you.

If u keep up with this scores(very average) u have, d only way u'll get medicine is if u have money and long legs... And it must be veeerrry long... Or maybe, divine intervention

If u want medicine on merit(state or federal uni), without any hassles... U must be able to blow them(school admin) away...

It means dat sum1 who had 260 in Jamb... And 280 in post Jamb..i.e agg=270, will not get medicine on MERIT in dat school... In a school like UNN, even if d Provost of college of medicine collects ur name, u might come to d board @ d end of d day and see ''combined social sciences''(dey love giving dat course ehh)... I honestly dnt understand dat school...

Back to the topic @ op.... Do ur agric. dear... Try Jamb while doin it i.e, if u're still passionate bout medicine.... But u'll need to put in more effort to upgrade ur score... Dig deeper...

GoodLuck!!!
Thank you, that is exactly my point. The guy doesn't have what it takes to get high score to study medicine. Getting 228 in UTME can't solve his problem. Even to get other medical related courses, he has to improve in his UTME.
Re: should i study agric? by lebienconnu: 6:34pm On Jan 04, 2014
op, from first hand and direct experience, i would advise that you should strictly follow your dream.

even if you are average now you need to improve yourself so you can make first five on the merit list in any school. it is not easy but also not impossible.

do not go to sokoto to study agric. do not give up on ur dream. do not be a victim of circumstance.

the day a man stops dreaming he ceases to be a man. (le bien connu)
Re: should i study agric? by cherrykim: 6:36pm On Jan 04, 2014
see my profile. B.agric in Economics, M.Sc in Agric Economics,ICAN,CCNP. Now Economist & financial analyst with World bank. Wat else?

2 Likes

Re: should i study agric? by Paragonova: 6:39pm On Jan 04, 2014
Same case with me
First year after second skul got anatomy in uniport( still regretting why I didn't take it)
Wrote the next year for imsu got crop science had to re write this year and I just medsurg in uniport... Advice-- rewrite but do not forfeit

1 Like

Re: should i study agric? by fattbabakay(m): 6:42pm On Jan 04, 2014
IzyLuv: I'm a medical student...i'll be honest with you.

GoodLuck!!!
abeg ***roundS of applause*** u're juz soooo onpoint...MEDICINE isn't meant 4 d average,it's a course 4 d genius or rather d 'SERIOUS' minds...small tym nw,som smelloz go dey talk bout mass failure#shit#mass failure ma foot!!!
Re: should i study agric? by fattbabakay(m): 6:43pm On Jan 04, 2014
sagaciousblog: u dnt knw jack...if we r to follow ur rules, then it's actually MY not MA, it's JUST not JUZ...Take note jackass...
abeg accept ur mistake nd move on wit ur daily hustle...PEACE!!!
Re: should i study agric? by sagaciousblog: 7:06pm On Jan 04, 2014
fattbabakay: abeg accept ur mistake nd move on wit ur daily hustle...PEACE!!!
NOTED!
Re: should i study agric? by Fostercat(m): 7:12pm On Jan 04, 2014
@OP am forced and constrained to write u this open letter.

I am a graduate of Agriculture(B.Agriculture)from the University of Maiduguri.
Wen I wrote jamb and applied for medicine,my name came out on the Agric List.it was hell no for me nd my parents.my dad knew the Acting VC then nd we went to his office to see if I can even get Biochemistry just to b in d college of Medicine nd probably switch later..The VC. Nd registrar looked at every thing and said nothing can b done,because that was d last list nd encouraged me to go for d Agric as he was a prof. of Agriculture nd that I cud see he was doing good or alternatively wait for next session.Hmmmm,I took the agric,but b4 the next session,he left for sabatical in malaysia.
To cut story short,after 5yrs in faculty of Agriculture,I graduated wit a second class honours.
I cud not get a job,I tried but cud not.then I went for som professional courses in air travel.I am now IATA certified.I now work in good company as a result of my certification.earning in three digits.

Agric no get level in Naija o.but a bird at hand is worth 2 in d bush .the ball is in ur court

3 Likes

Re: should i study agric? by kayjegs: 7:24pm On Jan 04, 2014
From experience, many students really think they like the so-called professional courses but it is our society that makes it look like they are the best so students are psychologically attracted to those courses. My guy, when you have any admission please take it. Don't try and say a course is better than the other. It is until you enter a Uni that you will know what I am saying. I did Jamb about 3 times and always scoring high marks of 260 plus. I am talking of the 2001 era when there was no post utme or predegree when we had to check our result at the jamb office not online. I wanted to study medicine not because I really wanted but I have been psychologically taught that I have to study medicine because I am brilliant. I wasn't admitted into medicine maybe by God's providence all through but was given animal science, zoology, vet medicine, and even physiotherapy which is even close. But thank God I studied Zoology and didn't regret it. Did a MSc in zoology through which I have even gone to Germany for research work. Right now I have a PhD scholarship abroad all courtesy Zoology in an applied environmental science course and work with Oil companies as a result. So whatever course you are given, make good use of them. Don't deceive yourself on one course not being good. If you are deeply in love with medicine or so, you can keep trying. But be sur3 you are actually interested before wasting time. Enter th3 university first.

1 Like

Re: should i study agric? by spazmodick(m): 7:27pm On Jan 04, 2014
Agriculture is not a bad course my frnds..It's a professional course and u take 5yrs to study just like engineering..I was supposed to study mechanical engineering in uniport then but i culd nt get d admission,finally i got admission in anoda skool and was given agric as my course..I was nt happy initially but i can tel u proudly now dat am an agriculturist and i love my course of study.No course is irrelevant my dear frnd,am working right now in a world bank project and my frnd am payed very well
Re: should i study agric? by Joshkeyz(m): 8:00pm On Jan 04, 2014
Obinnau: Pls dont quote the above post pls.
as am talking to u nw.am from udusok.am a pharmacy studnt.agric was wat they gave me 2.dat is wat they gv to non indigenes dat did wel.as 4 me.i applied 4 change of course.nd it workd.
Re: should i study agric? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jan 04, 2014
@ OP considering your situation dat u are responsible yourself, u cannot study medicine wen u work even agric. Admission is hard to come by dis days. You are very lucky dat u got addmitted in UDUS. In Udus agric faculty is known as war coIlege because of the stress.in our 2days nigeria its nt what u read but what you can offer and "connetion". Agric has alot of opportunities depending on your specialization but d course proper teaches us to be self reliant and be job providers nt job seekers. By d way i am graduate of Agric(farmer). And a proud one
Re: should i study agric? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 04, 2014
Joshkeyz.:
as am talking to u nw.am from udusok.am a pharmacy studnt.agric was wat they gave me 2.dat is wat they gv to non indigenes dat did wel.as 4 me.i applied 4 change of course.nd it workd.

this are the type of people we call tribalist. The reason u changed was because of fear and nothing else. I know your type very well. The moment you heard that the agric students dont have time for flexing u immediately switched. For your information i have friends who graduated from d faculty of agric at UDUS who are indigenes of sokoto state. Just say u couldnt stand the heat
Re: should i study agric? by noso2004: 9:27pm On Jan 04, 2014
I have last posted on this forum since July, I am compelled to drop my cent here, given the circumstances I would opt for the Agri course, whilst MBBS is almost an ambition for most Nigerian teens, I would not think it twice before accepting the offer for the Agri course, a previous poster claimed "3 farmers in America would feed Nigeria" that's such a childish drivel coming from someone who claimed they studied Bsc Agriculture, 3 American farmers would not feed Lagos state alone how much more the Federation.

If you have done JAMB twice, and have not achieved your aim, why waste further time? Agri course is good because most Nigerians are too naive to see how successful farmers can become, there is less competition in the field, if you have money you could go self employed, if not, you can seek employment.

In New Zealand, and Australia, farming degree and related careers are in the long term skilled shortage list, I do not know about Canada, but I suspect it would be the same, even US, shortage in farming careers is increasingly becoming a global concern, people think it's low paid and career prospect are low etc etc, this give every potential farmer far more opportunities to grow. If I wanted to become a billionaire and I had to to choose between those 2 careers, I would be more inclined to study Agriculture, there is a global shortage in Agriculture. You will be the one to live with whatever decision you make, everything I said is, if I was in similar position of which I'm not. Good luck with decisions, I hope you do what's best for you and your future, and whatever you choose to do I wish you success.

1 Like

Re: should i study agric? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jan 04, 2014
this my story: i want to study medicine in uniport[b](i never knw Rivers State cut off score is high uniport and low in OAU/UNNsmiley[/b], after failing the first jamb i immediately switched to electrical in RSUST. i am now an E/I engr in an oil/servicing coy.

my elder brother want to study medicine in uniport, after fail 2 attempt to secure admission with high jamb score because above mentioned in bold, he switch to 2 year diploma in phermercy at the Rivers State College of health, he secured a job with it after graduation and immediately filed in OAU in his third jamb, now he is in his final year. however, having said the above to you, i will say you must not die in medicine becos ur age is counting, there are other medical courses that are salable eg: Radiography, medical laboratory, Nursing. My brother Man Radiographers are few in number(Rivers State alone can not boast of 100), Nursing as a degree course is in hot demand. Let no body deceive u and note that it must not be BSc or MBBS, ND/HND na them dey get job pass for oil coy. state something now wit the score u hav then write jamb again choosing a new course entirely. Medical doctors plenty like sand they render cheap/low quality service every where.
OPEN YOUR EYE

2 Likes

Re: should i study agric? by 1stUnique(m): 9:53pm On Jan 04, 2014
Lateef9961: Do it lyk dix.
Go 4 dat agric course reg in udusok,start attending lectures iv lecture happen 2 hav begin den u buy anoda jamb form,whl stil running ur degree in agric,iv God has destined u 4 medicine,u might b lucky and get it wen u write anoda jamb dix yr.
Hope my message x clear?
LAST BULLET:DONT FORFIT DAT ADMIS$ION SO DAT U WUNT REGRET AT D END.
ma $alam.

as far as am concern. dis is d best advice so far.

1 Like

Re: should i study agric? by 1stUnique(m): 9:54pm On Jan 04, 2014
Lateef9961: Do it lyk dix.
Go 4 dat agric course reg in udusok,start attending lectures iv lecture happen 2 hav begin den u buy anoda jamb form,whl stil running ur degree in agric,iv God has destined u 4 medicine,u might b lucky and get it wen u write anoda jamb dix yr.
Hope my message x clear?
LAST BULLET:DONT FORFIT DAT ADMIS$ION SO DAT U
WUNT REGRET AT D END.
ma $alam.

as far as am concern. dis is d best advice so far.
Re: should i study agric? by Charbless(m): 10:10pm On Jan 04, 2014
Try Business , whu knows, it might be Ur calling. Dats if u dump #Agric in UDUS
Re: should i study agric? by Larryupsy: 10:15pm On Jan 04, 2014
Seems everything is almost said Bro,If its passion?take ur Agric while u write another Jamb for ur MBSS,but if u wanna get rich so quick,fink your best bet is agriculture.am currently an undergraduate of Agricultural Economics and will soon be in my final year in couple of weeks and i could only,but envisage being an undergraduate millionaire.If u really care to know, any course in the faculty of Agriculture is of great prospect coupled with the fact that u will be taught in a way to be employers of Labour and be self reliant.#My one pence
Re: should i study agric? by faboben10: 10:49pm On Jan 04, 2014
If i had listen 2 people's advice(even my teachers), i wil not b a medical student today.
Op remember that *only those who tries and fails believes in impossibilities*
Re: should i study agric? by nonstan(m): 12:16am On Jan 05, 2014
bros ade study agric econs in unn..its hectic bro but there is hope when u come out with 2:1..belive me u can work in d bank and so on..read dis quickly
Introduction

Agricultural economics programs teach people how to predict trends in markets for farm products. Students learn how farms and ranches use resources and invest in agriculture. They learn to observe and explain changes in markets.
Overview

Chances are, during a long cross country trip, you've driven past isolated fields, farms, and silos. Those silos, or grain elevators, are filled with corn or grain. Obviously, that corn or grain will go somewhere - to a mill or the grocery store shelves in the form of corn on the cob or even a loaf of bread.

Yet, it's not so simple. The farmer has to sell his crops or livestock, but the path between the farmer and the store is not direct. Contracts must be established, prices must be set, and shipping the goods from point A to point B must be arranged. Payment must be arranged and often loans are necessary, for both the buyers and the farmer. Agricultural economics programs train people to study and manage these processes.

As an agricultural economist, you monitor crops, prices, animal health, and equipment. You study imports and exports, weather cycles, buying patterns, and new methods of production. You consider ups and downs in the general economy and consumer preferences. When you have special expertise, such as in crops or equipment, you might work as an agricultural consultant. Agricultural economists usually have at least a master's degree. Many then work as bankers or commodities traders.

Depending on the college you choose, you could major in economics with a concentration in agricultural business and management. You also could major in agriculture with a concentration in economics. Or you could take agricultural economics courses in graduate school. In general, your course work is similar to general economics programs. You learn about financial management, investments, and marketing. However, your course work teaches you these principles as they apply to grain, feed, livestock, and food products.

About 100 schools offer programs specifically in agricultural economics. Some programs are available at land grant colleges. Many colleges and universities offer bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees in economics. Concentrations in agricultural economics are more popular in states where agriculture is an especially active industry.

Most two-year colleges offer the first two years of study, which could be in biology or resource management. Students can often transfer the credits to a four-year school. Master's degrees typically take five or six years of full-time study. Doctoral degree programs typically take about three to five years after the master's degree.

Students who want to major in economics with a concentration in agricultural science need to check into college catalogs to find out whether they can blend courses in agriculture with an economics major. Every state has a land grant college that offers agricultural science programs. Typically, those colleges also offer majors in economics.

1 Like

Re: should i study agric? by peter4d2(m): 3:50am On Jan 05, 2014
well gettin admission in naija is not eazy I finished 4rm FUNAAB.
Let me tell u a story,while we still all fresher's it was heard 4 pple dat was given agric courses 2 prononce/say d dept they r in but as soon as we mov 2 d nxt level,we dat were once ashame of sayin our courses out now hv d courage becos we knw wat we wnt thru 2 mak a G.p n those pple dat rushed 2 COLeNG n COLNas r now clamourin 4 d said agric courses becos its actually hard 2 protect G.p in dose courses but if still wanna go 4 medicine try doin predegree in sum sch den see hw u fair cos naija unis get sadist..........wellah
Re: should i study agric? by hollandis(f): 4:27am On Jan 05, 2014
My advice for you .Don't take Agriculture .It is a useless course to study in Nigeria.And don't take medicine it is simply not worth it (imagine spending 2 years ),what if you had put in for engineering or geology ? Those are courses you can do and not regret.
Re: should i study agric? by hollandis(f): 4:29am On Jan 05, 2014
peter4d2: well gettin admission in naija is not eazy I finished 4rm FUNAAB.
Let me tell u a story,while we still all fresher's it was heard 4 pple dat was given agric courses 2 prononce/say d dept they r in but as soon as we mov 2 d nxt level,we dat were once ashame of sayin our courses out now hv d courage becos we knw wat we wnt thru 2 mak a G.p n those pple dat rushed 2 COLeNG n COLNas r now clamourin 4 d said agric courses becos its actually hard 2 protect G.p in dose courses but if still wanna go 4 medicine try doin predegree in sum sch den see hw u fair cos naija unis get sadist..........wellah
Mr know-it-all.Let the house know where you are working
Re: should i study agric? by bank2k4real(m): 7:01am On Jan 05, 2014
Happy Sunday....check my signature.
Re: should i study agric? by Nobody: 7:24am On Jan 05, 2014
hollandis: My advice for you .Don't take Agriculture .It is a useless course to study in Nigeria.

what a useless comment to make.
Re: should i study agric? by DrMuyo: 7:33am On Jan 05, 2014
Av been in your situation before, now am a doctor. Well I feel u can go for the Agric but still bear in mind u want medicine. Then apply for anoda UME and study hard. Choose a course like physiology in UI. U can cross to medicine after ist year if u have a fabulous ist year result. All the best!
Re: should i study agric? by dhayor58(m): 7:46am On Jan 05, 2014
fattbabakay: On a candid note,MEDICINE isn't meant 4 average students,coz I wonder how on earth u cud opt 4 MEDICINE nd stil scorin below 250 in UTME...I'd rather u went 4 AGRIC coz if it wer 2 be strict varsites lyk OAU,u won't be offered anytin atall!!!shalom!!!
wehrey, o tun ti de, datx y state uni nd oda dy exist nah

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

JAMB Official Makes U-turn, Says N36m ‘collected By Superior’ — NOT Snake / UNIZIK Reacts After Facebook User Advertised Its Admission Slots For Sale / Mistake Of Date Of Birth On My Waec Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.