Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,135 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:40 AM

Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report (11321 Views)

Northern Leaders Reject Jonathan’s Confab Report / Anxiety As Govt. Implements Oronsaye Panel’s Report- Guardian / Pictures Of Hired Youths Protesting Against Subsidy Probe Panel’s Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by prettyboi1(m): 4:16pm On Jan 09, 2014
kel4soft: Who told you Igbos don't know the conference is a charade. Just that the current Igbo political office holders don't want to offend their oga at the top. Here in Port Harcourt, most Igbos I speak to are very different from with the way they see politics compare with their NL counterparts.
My guy, you have said something really true & worth taking great note of. "No one should take a lot of people seriously on Nairaland. Many of the people on Nairaland are just fakes & only run their mouth here online. In real-life,they're cowards & vegetables."

1 Like

Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by tjmc: 4:36pm On Jan 09, 2014
ImperialYoruba:

Those bulbous eyes have purpose afterall. I wish Ojukwu had the same size eyes to see far ahead. My people will not be in this predicament. Lmao.

I love you Asiwaju. cheesy
what does tinubu know. D ikemba new b4 hand dat nigeria is an illusion
Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by chairman: 5:33pm On Jan 09, 2014
geeez:

I remember how badly Tinubu was bashed following his comments

How come we see with zoom lenses while they are myopic?

How come its takes them months and years to comprehend?

Isn't it easy to see why we are light years ahead?

If you want to do this properly, start with the NASS giving the conference a constitutional backing

Next you have a website where Nigerians can contribute while the consultations go on

Then you subject the resolutions to a referendum

Anything outside that is a charade

Thanks Tinubu
in that case it took all of 47 years for all of you to catch up with ojukwu alone

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by dounleedee: 5:56pm On Jan 09, 2014
Kponkwem: in the present condition, it will be wrong to call for a 'sovereign' conference. On what document/legitimacy will the President and NASS stand in convoking the conference? I thought these are elected officials whom people have delegated their sovereignty to? Except there's a revolution overthrowing the present order, I don't think we can make a constitution outside the NASS.

Again it should not be based on ethnicity. Which ethnic nationalities are we talking about? How many ethnicities are in Nigeria? If all attend won't it be recipe for chaos?

Let our elders accept things as they are and go to the conference on a unified agenda, hopefully they will score some points with SW and SS. At least the Yoruba will equally be voting for decentralisation of power- the only issue is how to scale the NW and NE who have created more LGs and constituencies for themselves.

If much is not achieved as desired by the south, the only option will be forceful change or hope for oil impact in the economy to diminish for freedom to come. When will that be? Two years, three years? Not sure...

You are probably the only one who obviously understand the game even though there are no rules.
Majority of the voices against the proposed conference saw the obvious landmines.
Fake population census, fraudulent local governments creation, dishonest apportionment of states,
politically skewed polity, theft of regional wealth in the name of derivation,
sharing taxes on sale of goods banned in some religious enclave, etc............
And some voices of thought want us to surrender our sovereignty to this charade in a conference?
So how many years will it take to secure 2/3rd majority needed in both the lopsided NASS and the fraudulently constituted State Assemblies to effect a holistic amendment of the constitution?
Definitely not in our life time,
Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by chairman: 5:57pm On Jan 09, 2014
Tonniey:
You must be a schl cert fail student, tinubu made a statement and you here asking your frend to give reasons why tinubu made d statement.
Keep it up!
what he simply asked is whether you ever heard of the 'AHIARA DECLARATION'?
Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by GentleFrank(m): 6:15pm On Jan 09, 2014
ok
Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by dounleedee: 6:19pm On Jan 09, 2014
ketoprofen:

How come most ppl feel its better the conference is sovereign, so that everybody go answer im papa name?
But that's what igbos wanted in 1967, sighting no progression in the country in years to come .
43 yrs after, other groups think that's the best option.
Is it not obvious igbos are light yrs ahead of u?
Btw, can u point a single reason y tinubu was against the conference.
Just one.
Not what u think, but tinubu thinks.

Stop assaulting our senses with expansionist quest disguised as self determination. The Eastern Region was properly delineated before the start of the civil war, it didn't include Edo and Ore.
Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by ketoprofen(m): 7:02pm On Jan 09, 2014
ololo12: Before commencement of any SNC or NC. The Northern Oligarch must return all Oil well back to the rightful owners. I don't understand how a Northerner can own Oil wells and Bloc in the South. Someone should please explain this to me.

Yet, nobody touches their groundnuts, tomatoes; solid minerals eg tin, gold.
These minerals are being mined in the north by foreigners and the northern politicians and chiefs are settled.
But they own 80% of oil wells in the south.
Imagine if this oil were in the north, do u think they would be allowing other grps to come to cross Benue?
Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by ketoprofen(m): 7:05pm On Jan 09, 2014
dounleedee:

Stop assaulting our senses with expansionist quest disguised as self determination. The Eastern Region was properly delineated before the start of the civil war, it didn't include Edo and Ore.

And who was including ore and Edo in eastern nigeria
Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by vanstanzy(m): 10:21pm On Jan 09, 2014
geeez:

If you want to do this properly, start with the NASS giving the conference a constitutional backing

Next you have a website where Nigerians can contribute while the consultations go on

Thanks Tinubu

This guy, u r really a clown of some sort, right? Ojukwu saw this since 1966, mind u.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by T9ksy(m): 11:38pm On Jan 09, 2014
vanstanzy:

This guy, u r really a clown of some sort, right? Ojukwu saw this since 1966, mind u.

When exactly in 1966? January or July?
Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by Onlytruth(m): 11:52pm On Jan 09, 2014
T9ksy:

When exactly in 1966? January or July?

4th-5th January 1967
Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by T9ksy(m): 1:01am On Jan 10, 2014
Onlytruth:

4th-5th January 1967

Abeg, which one should we believe now? 1966 or 1967? As your fellow kinsman said 1966.
Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by nduchucks: 1:11am On Jan 10, 2014
ketoprofen:

Yet, nobody touches their groundnuts, tomatoes; solid minerals eg tin, gold.
These minerals are being mined in the north by foreigners and the northern politicians and chiefs are settled.
But they own 80% of oil wells in the south.
Imagine if this oil were in the north, do u think they would be allowing other grps to come to cross Benue?

When Nigeria's economy was primarily sustained by Groundnut and Cocoa, and many of you people were still subsistent fishermen, we didn't hear a word from you. When we spent millions of naira on oil exploration, losing millions where we found nothing, we didn't hear from you people. When we found oil inland and spent millions more to drill, we did not hear from you people.

Now that you are receiving royalties via government allocations to your states, you are now yapping that its your oil. How much have you invested in oil exploration? Let me guess - zero Naira.

To add to the insult, some of you have the guts to lay sole claims on offshore oil!! What foolery.

Lazy fools should ask their governors to invest only 0.000001% of the free money they receive to develop offshore fishing and supply all of West Africa with frozen fish. Some of you simply come across as lazy ingrates.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by T9ksy(m): 1:19am On Jan 10, 2014
ndu_chucks:

When Nigeria's economy was primarily sustained by Groundnut and Cocoa, and many of you people were still subsistent fishermen, we didn't hear a word from you.

When was nigeria's economy solely sustained by Groundnut? Are you talking about the same groundnut that wasn't even enough to sustain the northern part of the country? Haba! Aboki, your puerile attempt at revisionism is DOA. It is no secret why the british merge the northern protectorate with the south.
Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by nduchucks: 1:23am On Jan 10, 2014
T9ksy:

When was nigeria's economy solely sustained by Groundnut? Are you talking about the same groundnut that wasn't even enough to sustain the northern part of the country? Haba! Aboki, your puerile attempt at revisionism is DOA. It is no secret why the british merge the northern protectorate with the south.

Consult your history books. Nuff said
Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by T9ksy(m): 1:26am On Jan 10, 2014
ndu_chucks:

Consult your history books. Nuff said

Why don't you point me to the one you read that says groundnut sustain the nation's economy before the advent of oil?
Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by nduchucks: 1:35am On Jan 10, 2014
T9ksy:

Why don't you point me to the one you read that says groundnut sustain the nation's economy before the advent of oil?

Ode. I wrote groundnuts and cocoa. I give you a few hours to do your research and hope you are not lazy. If you are still in doubt I'll educate you.
Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by MayorofLagos(m): 2:44am On Jan 10, 2014
vanstanzy:

For a Biafran prophet, Ojukwu was a very bad seer. He saw everything since 66, except the need to build alliance and save his people from perish..he was blind to that, and even when prophets from other land pointed to him what they saw, his huge Biafran eyes still was blind to it. Well, as we head to 2015, does prophet Ojukwu sees Jonathan winning the election?
Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by Savigne(f): 7:25am On Jan 10, 2014
The day Nairalanders would comment on a topic in Religion or Politics without insulting themslves,that would be the day..A lot can be learnt from this section bt all these name-callings always chase me away....Pls try and be civil,some of us actually come here to learn.
Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by ketoprofen(m): 7:32am On Jan 10, 2014
ndu_chucks:

When Nigeria's economy was primarily sustained by Groundnut and Cocoa, and many of you people were still subsistent fishermen, we didn't hear a word from you. When we spent millions of naira on oil exploration, losing millions where we found nothing, we didn't hear from you people. When we found oil inland and spent millions more to drill, we did not hear from you people.

Now that you are receiving royalties via government allocations to your states, you are now yapping that its your oil. How much have you invested in oil exploration? Let me guess - zero Naira.

To add to the insult, some of you have the guts to lay sole claims on offshore oil!! What foolery.

Lazy fools should ask their governors to invest only 0.000001% of the free money they receive to develop offshore fishing and supply all of West Africa with frozen fish. Some of you simply come across as lazy ingrates.

Did the ppl of SE/SS ask u to drill oil for them?
Whose money were they using to search for the kind oil?
Wasnt palm oil and coal sustaining the east bfr?
Where are u getting ur idea of fishing?
Northerners are not lazy but reap where they do not sow, using violence. After getting the said oil wells, the wealth is only concentrated in few northerners, the vast majority are poor.
Yorubas on the other hand are simply lazy.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by ketoprofen(m): 7:39am On Jan 10, 2014
Mayor_of_Lagos:

For a Biafran prophet, Ojukwu was a very bad seer. He saw everything since 66, except the need to build alliance and save his people from perish..he was blind to that, and even when prophets from other land pointed to him what they saw, his huge Biafran eyes still was blind to it. Well, as we head to 2015, does prophet Ojukwu sees Jonathan winning the election?

Ur own awolowo fought on the Nigerian side because they promised him presidency if Nigeria wins.
Nigeria won, and abokis kicked him to the gutter.
Now, what vision did he see which convinced him that a northerner can easily bequeath power to an alien?
And they frustrated him even more when he tried contesting .
And he swallowed rat poison to end his miserable life.
what were u saying about ojukwu?
Bfr he embarked on the war, he had already done a lot to avert it.
Did he even ask for war?
Dont u know abt aburi?
He only declared Biafra so that Nigerians can enjoy their land flowing with milk and honey

1 Like

Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by MayorofLagos(m): 7:42am On Jan 10, 2014
ketoprofen:

Did the ppl of SE/SS ask u to drill oil for them?
Whose money were they using to search for the kind oil?
Wasnt palm oil and coal sustaining the east bfr?
Where are u getting ur idea of fishing?
Northerners are not lazy but reap where they do not sow, using violence. After getting the said oil wells, the wealth is only concentrated in few northerners, the vast majority are poor.
Yorubas on the other hand are simply lazy.

I thank God for bringing me into a lazy race of people; id take that over a criminal race of homeless people.
Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by ketoprofen(m): 7:44am On Jan 10, 2014
Mayor_of_Lagos:

I thank God for bringing me into a lazy race of people; id take that over a criminal race of homeless people.

U are still discussing the elements of the Yoruba race.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by derock533: 10:51am On Jan 10, 2014
This is the reason why you guys will always remain fools to tribalism.
Can't you address your fellows with respect and regards and stop making POLITE INSULTS at them.
Grow up
geeez:

[b]How come we see with zoom lenses while they are myopic?

Thanks Tinubu
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jan 10, 2014
[quote author=Ikology]If you think that the presidency will come out and declare that we must conduct sovereign national conference, then am sorry for you. The president took an oath to preserve the sovereignity of Nigeria.It is only the people that will press for either total overall of the 1999 constitution or sovereign national conference. Ndi Igbo have taken a decisive step, I hope other ethnic nationalities do the same.[/quote]
Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by T9ksy(m): 5:32pm On Jan 10, 2014
ndu_chucks:

Ode. I wrote groundnuts and cocoa. I give you a few hours to do your research and hope you are not lazy. If you are still in doubt I'll educate you.

Okay i agree am lazy. Now can you educate me when it was that groundnut ( don't want to talk about cocoa) that was not even enough to sustain the northern administrative part of the country was utilised to fund the south, as well.
Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by nduchucks: 6:23pm On Jan 10, 2014
T9ksy:

Okay i agree am lazy. Now can you educate me when it was that groundnut ( don't want to talk about cocoa) that was not even enough to sustain the northern administrative part of the country was utilised to fund the south, as well.

If you are not lazy as you claimed, then you will have to discuss both groundnuts and cocoa, as I stated in my post. Start with this.

Cocoa, groundnuts and palm products were the primary source of foreign earnings back then with cocoa and groundnut as the top earners.

Source: U.S. Library of Congress

Here is a snippet from the article.

Most Nigerians eat grains, but the production and consumption of sorghum (guinea corn) and millet are heavily concentrated in the savanna north. In 1980 the two grains accounted for 80 percent of Nigeria's total grain production. Corn production in the savanna middle belt benefits from heavier rainfall, which frequently permits two crops a year. The demand for rice, much of it imported, increased dramatically during the affluent 1970s, but had to be cut back during the foreign exchange shortages of the 1980s.

Cocoa and groundnuts were Nigeria's two major exports until petroleum surpassed both in 1965. Cocoa, cotton, groundnuts,hides and skins, were the principal export crops in the 1960s and early 1970s, but with export reorientation, only cocoa remained of any importance after 1975.

Although Nigeria was the world's largest exporter of groundnuts in the early 1970s, groundnuts fell from the export list by the end of the 1970s as a result of the severe Sahel drought of 1972-74 and a viral disease in 1975. With assistance from the World Bank, the government restored cocoa production in the late 1970s and 1980s through replanting programs and producer price supports. The resulting increase in cocoa output (to 200,000 tons in 1988) kept Nigeria in third place among world cocoa producers, after Ivory Coast and Ghana.
Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by mannobi(m): 8:53pm On Jan 10, 2014
geeez:

Thanks Tinubu
exactly
Re: Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report by Sunnidinho: 10:11pm On Jan 10, 2014
Its Only God that can right the wrong of this nation.forget all these oduduwa,biafra, arewa shit cos it leads to nowhere.for the ibos,ask yourself this question-what has the governor of your state achieve with the monthly allocation from fed govt?the same question should be asked by the ss,sw,ne,nw,n-central people.even if this country is divided today,the same set of corrupt people will lead each region. SE people should stop talking as if they are innocent in this mess-same applies to other regions.tell an ibo man who is an established business in SW to pack his/her things bark to their land in the name of biafra and lets see if "thunder fire you" wont be their replies. Thats while we have to work together to make this nation a positively functioning1.some ibos even said yoruba are coward-citing ilorin-an event that happened in those dark ages and yet they are rushing to SW to make ends meet.the day nigerians do away with self-centeredness,this nation will experience rapid growth.if an efik man will be the one to lead this country to the promise land,then am ok with it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Governor El-Rufai Performs Lesser Pilgrimage In Saudi Arabia (Photos) / NBA Strike Stalls Judicial Activities At FCT High Court Apo / Ensure Nigerians Sleep With Their Eyes Closed, Buhari Tasks Service Chiefs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.