Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,287 members, 7,815,493 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

The Good Wife Guide - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Good Wife Guide (1591 Views)

The Good Wife By Nigeria Standards (pic) / Top 10 Qualities A Good Wife Must Have / Is It True That Ladies From Broken Homes Are Not A Good Wife Material? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Good Wife Guide by sistawoman: 3:28pm On Aug 08, 2008
As a gag gift one of my co-workers gave this to me when she found out I was married:

The Good Wife Guide 19 rules for keeping a happy husband

I do not believe in or support any of the following, but what are your thoughts

A wife's Duty
A mans home is his castle as such, he oought to be treated like a king. When he returns home from a demanding eight hours on the job (or more!), he rightfully deserves a bit of pampering. It's every wife's responsibility to dote upon her hard working spouse, to show that he is truly appreciated!

Recipe for success
Just as it would be unthinkable to serve frozen TV dinners or re-heated leftover to an hounored guest, these offering should not be considered acceptable dinner fare for the man you adore. Give him a harty home-cooked meal- one that's prepared from scratch and seasoned with love. The hours you spend over a hot sove will be repaid on full when he eagerly asks for seconds!

Put your best face Forward
Before he arrives home from work, take a few minutes to transform yourself from toiling housewife to vision of earthly delight. Give your hair an extra shellacking of hair spray, re-apply your make-up, and trade in your housecoat for a stylish frock that shows off your figure.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness!
Make sure the house is spotless before he's due to arrive home. Give the furniture a quick dusting, pick up any wayward toys and make sure all unsightly laundry and ironing has been put away. Your house should be sparkling by the time he sets foot in it!

A Happy Homecoming
When your husband walks thrugh the front door, take his coat and guide him to his favoriate easy chair. Offer him the evening newspater, his slippers and a dry martini to take thie edge off. If he apears fatigued or cranky from his traffic-laden commute, a relaxing foot rub or shoulder massage may be in order.

Greet him with a smile
Nothing says "Welcome home dear", better than an ear-to-ear expression of your love - thats right a smile! With just one glace at your face, your husband should know that his very presence marks the pinnacle of your day.

These contiune like this. . . . . . all rules from the dark ages. dont get me wrong i treat my husband well but the way these rules are written and presented are from a time in life where women did not have a voice and did not matter for instance rule #11;

Decisons, Decisons
After toling for his demanding emplyer all day, a man wants to to be made to feel as though he's the boss when he crosses his own threshold. Let him dictate important matters at home, from selecting the evenings televsions programs to choosing what he'd like you to serve for his bedtime snack.
Re: The Good Wife Guide by unit(f): 3:46pm On Aug 09, 2008
What if I work later than him? undecided undecided
Re: The Good Wife Guide by beninman(m): 4:06pm On Aug 09, 2008
@unit

even if you are working 6 days and 23 hrs a week, he is him! You still need to apply all 19 guides! Why are they very important? 1. You are telling your husband to love you and treats you the same way. 2. You will build a very happy home by applying all.

A good house wife will not ask question why these guides need to be applied in her home.
Re: The Good Wife Guide by onyinye2(f): 4:11pm On Aug 09, 2008
beninman:

@unit

even if you are working 6 days and 23 hrs a week, he is him! You still need to apply all 19 guides! Why are they very important? 1. You are telling your husband to love you and treats you the same way. 2. You will build a very happy home by applying all.

A good house wife will not ask question why these guides need to be applied in her home.
UTTER RUBBISH!!!
Re: The Good Wife Guide by syren: 4:23pm On Aug 09, 2008
@post
LOL  smiley
When will someone have time to do all these things.

A relationship is give and take anyway. If he is good to me then I'll want to do some of these things when I can, but if I don't feel he appreciates it why bend over backwards?
Re: The Good Wife Guide by sistajay(f): 4:24pm On Aug 09, 2008
Please somebody burst the bubble of the "Good wife Guide" writer, and slap him him back to reality. I bet it was written by a MAN, and we all know men are from Mars. He is tryin to turn y'all into Stepford/[b]Bed[/b]ford wives.
Re: The Good Wife Guide by proo212(m): 4:29pm On Aug 09, 2008
Me I don't need all of these things I beg. This obviously applied when the wife used to stay at home and look after the home and kids and the men went to work.

Hey Sistawoman, we know it is a gag gift and that's Ok

This is 2008 I beg and we are both working. So far the wife and I get on great, she has nothing to be afraid of. We can cook together, I drop the kids in the morning in school and she picks them up. Who notices if the house is spotless? So for it's not messy and we can spring clean over the weekend perhaps even naked  grin

We can do the cooking for the week on Saturday morning/afternoon
Re: The Good Wife Guide by syren: 4:31pm On Aug 09, 2008
proo212:

Me I don't need all of these things I beg. This obviously applied when the wife used to stay at home and look after the home and kids and the men went to work.

Hey Sistawoman, we know it is a gag gift and that's Ok

This is 2008 I beg and we are both working. So far the wife and I get on great, she has nothing to be afraid of. We can cook together, I drop the kids in the morning at schools and she picks them up. Who notices if the house is spotless? She for it's not messy and we can spring clean over the weekend perhaps even naked grin

I must say you are one of a kind cool
Re: The Good Wife Guide by Nobody: 4:35pm On Aug 09, 2008
Wow, isnt this forum full of feminists?? Someone's giving an advise, its either you take it or leave it. Why are you guys trying to prove what you know's not true. Please ladies, stop forming; you are only bringing yourselve down more!!!
Re: The Good Wife Guide by proo212(m): 4:36pm On Aug 09, 2008
I don't know about being one of a kind but this is reality. Most of my friends are like this (and they all Nigerians married to Nigerians).

It's really not a big deal. But then maybe we are one of a kind,
Re: The Good Wife Guide by onyinye2(f): 4:37pm On Aug 09, 2008
Ujujoan:

Wow, isnt this forum full of feminists?? Someone's giving an advise, its either you take it or leave it. Why are you guys trying to prove what you know's not true. Please ladies, stop forming; you are only bringing yourselve down more!!!
Abeg maka go and sit down.
Re: The Good Wife Guide by KarmaMod(f): 4:39pm On Aug 09, 2008
proo212:

This is 2008 I beg and we are both working. So far the wife and I get on great, she has nothing to be afraid of. We can cook together, I drop the kids in the morning in school and she picks them up. Who notices if the house is spotless? So for it's not messy and we can spring clean over the weekend perhaps even naked grin

Sounds better.

that guide sounds like it's for houswives. If you are one, have fun with it.
Re: The Good Wife Guide by proo212(m): 4:42pm On Aug 09, 2008
Well Ujujoan, for those of us that live in the west, we have to do everything ourselves. The guidelines might work for those in Africa or people who are fulltime housewives but here it has a higher percentage of not working.

We have been conditioned to think otherwise. Good or bad, I don't know but I cannot sit back and watch my partner do all the chores and I put my feet up.
Re: The Good Wife Guide by KarmaMod(f): 4:53pm On Aug 09, 2008
proo212:

Well Ujujoan, for those of us that live in the west, we have to do everything ourselves. The guidelines might work for those in Africa or people who are fulltime housewives but here it has a higher percentage of not working.

We have been conditioned to think otherwise. Good or bad, I don't know but I cannot sit back and watch my partner do all the chores and I put my feet up.

wa jere laye.

Not sure of what you are but I said "it shall always be well with you" smiley
Re: The Good Wife Guide by Nobody: 5:36pm On Aug 09, 2008
Why do I find the guides funny?
Re: The Good Wife Guide by Nobody: 6:22pm On Aug 09, 2008
proo212:

The poster dint say that either. She was just giving ladies pointer on how she feels they can make their men happy. Like it or not, there’s segregation of duties when it comes to male/female affairs. It’d be kind of unfair for you to put ur legs up and watch ur girl do all the chores, but its would be outright madness for it to happen the other way round. Like it or not, a woman is a woman and a man is a man. Doesn’t mean one can’t help out the other in h/her duties; its just means we all have our parts to play.

Someone posted something on ‘ways of making a girl love you more’, I dint see the guys attacking the poster; my point is that the ladies are the ones putting themselves in this second place position by trying to prove what they are not. Simple!!

onyinye2:

Abeg maka go and sit down.

Did I hit a nerve?? tongue
Re: The Good Wife Guide by NegroNtns(m): 7:00pm On Aug 09, 2008
A wife's Duty
A mans home is his castle as such, he oought to be treated like a king.  When he returns home from a demanding eight hours on the job (or more!), he rightfully deserves a bit of pampering.  It's every wife's responsibility to dote upon her hard working spouse, to show that he is truly appreciated!

Recipe for success
Just as it would be unthinkable to serve frozen TV dinners or re-heated leftover to an hounored guest, these offering should not be considered acceptable dinner fare for the man you adore.  Give him a harty home-cooked meal- one that's prepared from scratch and seasoned with love.  The hours you spend over a hot sove will be repaid on full when he eagerly asks for seconds!

Put your best face Forward
Before he arrives home from work, take a few minutes to transform yourself from toiling housewife to vision of earthly delight.  Give your hair an extra shellacking of hair spray, re-apply your make-up, and trade in your housecoat for a stylish frock that shows off your figure.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness!
Make sure the house is spotless before he's due to arrive home.  Give the furniture a quick dusting, pick up any wayward toys and make sure all unsightly laundry and ironing has been put away.  Your house should be sparkling by the time he sets foot in it!

A Happy Homecoming
When your husband walks thrugh the front door, take his coat and guide him to his favoriate easy chair.  Offer him the evening newspater, his slippers and a dry martini to take thie edge off.  If he apears fatigued or cranky from his traffic-laden commute, a relaxing foot rub or shoulder massage may be in order.

Greet him with a smile
Nothing says "Welcome home dear", better than an ear-to-ear expression of your love - thats right a smile!  With just one glace at your face, your husband should know that his very presence marks the pinnacle of your day.

These contiune like this. . . . . . all rules from the dark ages.  don't get me wrong i treat my husband well but the way these rules are written and presented are from a time in life where women did not have a voice and did not matter for instance rule #11;

Decisons, Decisons
After toling for his demanding emplyer all day, a man wants to to be made to feel as though he's the boss when he crosses his own threshold.  Let him dictate important matters at home, from selecting the evenings televsions programs to choosing what he'd like you to serve for his bedtime snack.

I know this person was not serious, this was written to generate heated response.  But let's assume that he is serious with this view.  Here's my opinion:

1.  A woman's nature is designed for noble service _ caring, nurturing, healing, grooming, beautifying, etc,

2. A woman is fulfilled in her relationship when her ability to serve her man is not impaired or curtailed or handicapped

3. A woman is malleable and very impressive, so, relative to the man, she is easily influenced

4. Her nature will respond in kind to his leadership.

5. If the man will act upon the noble call of his nature, he will find her the most cooperative and loyal follower.

6. His presence will unlock the flower in her soul and she will submit to him willingly

7. She will outperform herself in everyway and beyond all the demands listed above in the quotations; because his love and protection over her has empowered and opened the blossom of feminity within her spirit. She sees, ears, feels, tastes, touches and wants nobody else but him.  

8. He will never have to demand, because she is naturally dutiful.  

9. He will respond intuitively to her needs, and even though she is dutiful, he will also be competent sufficiently around the household to relieve her occassionally so his own understanding and compassion can further be tested and rewarded. Without rolling up his sleeves and doing the dishes sometimes or scrubbing the bathroom floor sometimes, ;how would ever understand her sweat around the house and how would he ever appreciate her loyalty.

10.  A man must not voluntarily share in his wife's domestic duties, this will do more harm to her than good.

11. That is not his natural role. If he allows himself to be domesticated, then he has ruined his chances of being a competent man, husband and father in his own household.  

11. What he must do is reserve the right to jump in, not after she has asked, ;but way before she has even thought of asking, and do what needs to be done as if his access to her pouussy depended on it.

12.  If a woman should ask her man to be a domestic husband, then she has ruined her own best opportunity to remain the only woman in his life.

This is the wisdom of the Ancients.  If you need a clarify to understand these points, then you don't even need to be involved in the discussion at all.
Re: The Good Wife Guide by Nobody: 7:01pm On Aug 09, 2008
My gosh!!

Both the OP and the poster before me can sure make a thread boring shocked shocked
Re: The Good Wife Guide by annmarien(f): 10:11pm On Aug 09, 2008
@ sista jay. think you meant 'stepford' and not 'bedford' wife. except of course,it was said that way on purpose.
@ poster,
dont you need to be a full time housewife to do all that, cause seriously, even at that, doing the afore mentioned is not very feesible. you need to be very jobless, very hardworking, and very desperate on being a husband pleaser. i mean seriously, its all bull. its a good thing you dont agree with whoever made that up. i know i won't do all those things, lai lai. in as much as i want to keep the hubby happy.
and besides, doing all that won't guarantee your husband not having a fling with someone else. you might be the homekeeper but not the bedkeeper if you get my drift. men are wicked species, so don't be decieved. no offence intended
Re: The Good Wife Guide by sistajay(f): 10:26pm On Aug 09, 2008
@ ann marien

Thanks for pointin it out, yeah i did put 'bedford' instead of 'stepford'.
Re: The Good Wife Guide by NaJaHaJe(f): 12:19am On Aug 10, 2008
CAVE MAN!!!!!!!! . . . . last I checked . . . . its the 21st century and there is such a thing as house - husbands.
Re: The Good Wife Guide by iice(f): 5:09pm On Aug 10, 2008
Rofl - the good housekeeper guide.
Re: The Good Wife Guide by hadiza30(f): 5:23pm On Aug 11, 2008
Im sure - no i bet some women will do all of these n their man will still peep outside. Like someone said men are from Mars. I believe men nowadays belive those are qualities a good wife should pocess consequently some won't even value the efforts. They will just consider you are doing what u are supposed to do.

Anyway, the guide is good.
Re: The Good Wife Guide by Ninani(f): 2:52pm On Aug 12, 2008
I've read these ones, I think they were meant seriously, published in a women's magazine in 1950something,
Re: The Good Wife Guide by Radiant(f): 4:13pm On Aug 12, 2008
LMAO. . . .I'm positive this guide is meant for people like Uju who will accept to be a man's slave just to impress him. Have you ever thought about working and doing all of this for a man? Does it sound right to you? What do you get in return? Please, don't tell me you'll do it "out of love".

What nonsense part do women have to play? This is not the age of when the man will go hunting and the woman stays home to take care of 15 children. Is that the kind of life you picture having with that your husband? Get out of the box, please.

I know about doing things together but I don't know about being a man's mule. I will do things because I want to and not because "I'm expected to". Good wife my late Grandma!
Re: The Good Wife Guide by Outstrip(f): 2:07am On Aug 13, 2008
This actually came from an article in goodhousekeeping magazine I think from the 50s. Very idiotic. Though back then women pretty much did not work outside of the home. It was stupid then and more stupid now.

Beninman I know you are only used to mgeke's that only know how to sell fish in the market. It is quite obvious that at the very least you will abuse your wife.

I cannot even imagine me, running two businesses and my full time job even caring about half of this. My husband never wanted to marry a housewife and he cooks for all of us. I know sista woman posted this just to get a discussion going. No sane person will even give this a serious thought.

I have kind of a funny story about a situation similar to this.
So my husband has this cousin who has been in the United States for about 15 years now and only has a GED. Though her house is not always spotless, she always has all kinds of cooked food in her house. This woman pretty much had and probably still has the mentality that all she is meant to do to support her husband is cook and occassionally clean. Anyway the husband even boasts about it when she is within hearing range and the ode woman will be feeling cool with herself.
We went to their home on day to visit and when we were driving back my husband told me that her husband pulled him to the side and was telling him that he should please talk to his cousin to go to school so that she can help out more, that he is getting frustrated. My husband actually always said he could never understand why she chose to be a failure and not do anything with her life besides cook and I always told my husband that it is bigger than that. Her husband wanted her to be that way. So when he told me that I told him that his cousin's husband is a goat and that even if he talks to his cousin about it, it should be to encourage her to make something of herself and not for that man.
Basically this man wanted her to be the way she had been, she foolishly went along but then he sees people like my husband and I who have not even been married 4 years and are way ahead of them in every aspect and a few other new couples whose wives work everyday and now he wants the same thing. After about 10 years of marriage he wants to sing a different tune. What made it unbelievable was that he could not even tell her. He wanted my husband to do it for him.

The marriage is not all about your husband. It is as much about the woman as the man. This is why you see so many bitter women because they made nothing of themselves because they were busy cooking while their mates were doing bigger things. Even my cousin's in Nigeria do not do one thing. They have businesses and their husbands support it 100%. My cousin's husband was even the one that had my cousin have a guy come in on the weekends to do laundry because he wanted to spend more time with his wife when he was not working. May God deliver single women from men like Beninman.

(1) (Reply)

How Can A Husband Help Heal His Wife From His Emotional And Physical Infidelity? / Is Saying "i Love You" To Your Spouse Really Important / His Uncle's Wife Is Sleeping With The Gateman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.