Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,749 members, 7,851,564 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:59 PM

Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? - Culture (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? (65912 Views)

Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? / How Did Nigerians React To Colonial Masters During Colonial Era / Why Do Nigerians Get Married? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by igbo2011(m): 3:42am On Mar 16, 2015
lezz:
Truely, our brother's in diaspora should be constructive in the criticism and not to kill whatever is left of the moral of those that are optimistic and ready to weather the storm for Nigeria.

Chinese in diaspora stole a lot of technology from the US and brought it home.

Our kunta kinte brothers in the West often rot away there and never make any positive impact back home except return in yuletide and other festive period with convertible cars, fake accent and jewelry.

I have a deep seated hatred for our rulers but it is the resilience of the Nigerian people that has been laudable.

Nigerian firms and companies now dominate virtually the west African region providing goods and services. I don't want to be too specific about countries so as not to encourage ego post from foreigners on this thread.

Nigerian banks have virtually taken over west Africa and are expanding to east-central Africa. Our government is still lagging behind though as our political awareness has been to accommodating and low our political class get away with a lot of corrupt acts.

But the future remains very bright, our political awareness is increasing and the value of opposition is becoming clearer. Soon our political leaders would become more accountable for their actions while in office.

Foreign investors are beginning to flow in, if the government would follow through with infrastructural development we will become the Japan and China of Africa.

What about domestic investment? Also lets runoko and be the modern day ancient Egyptians instead of comparing ourselves to Asians. Lets compare ourselves to other Africans and our ancestors.
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by khiaa(f): 3:43am On Mar 16, 2015
JiggamanGh:

LMAO grin grin grin
What's up my friend?
-------------------------------------

Wait ooo does that change the fact that you r a product of greencard
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by BraniacX(m): 4:01am On Mar 16, 2015
JiggamanGh:

There is a negative connotation behind that word. What about the family of the many Ghanaians that died during that event. Don't you think is insensitive for you guys to call it Ghana must go.

The bag preceded the event, so you mean to tell me the bag had no name before the event.

Well that event was just the political class buying into public sentiments of the time to achieve short lived popularity but you conveniently fail to mention that it was a long overdue response to an initial ghanian expulsion of Nigerian citizens around the late 60's with its own attendant disenfranchisement and what did you call it? ............yes, loss of lives and how do I know this? My mums family was one of the victims and they lost two generations worth of the rewards of hardwork and industry which they forced to leave behind and not look back, besides being frisked and robbed again at the togolese and benenoise borders and arriving in Nigeria with only what they wore and nothing else, my grandad died soon after and why? Your guess is as good as mine but i don't cry blood over that besides that is all history now and I only mention this in the context of this dialogue. Just like my mum, i might dislike one or two ghanians i know as people but not ghanians or ghana in general so forgive me if all I can get from your post is that when Nigerians were being expelled from ghana, your folks weren't far sighted enough to name a bag after this exodus but i put it to you that there is a bright side to the "Ghana Must Go" bags and what is it? you might ask................simple, it means unlike my mum's family and those of other Nigerians expelled from ghana, Ghanians expelled from Nigeria were allowed to leave with as many possessions as they could carry.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by juman(m): 4:07am On Mar 16, 2015
Funny thread. grin grin

nigeria is the biggest black nation with a lot of many kinds of resources (human and materials), that created that sense of superiority in our head.

Ordinary nigerians are good people, but the 'leaders' are very useless and undetermined individuals that destroyed the country and deny the country the rightful place it should belong.

One nigeria is the root of the problem. One nigeria has failed the people of this country, it only enslave them. I really detest one nigeria because yoruba peoples have no reason to be in this failed and directionless one nigeria.

To hell with one nigeria.
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by BraniacX(m): 4:17am On Mar 16, 2015
chrisviral:

Honestly, if it had a name, I don't know, my elder brother doesn't even and im sure my dad won't too. Funny thing is "even inside Ghana, Nigerians still call the bag Ghana must go" you see.

And that should tell you all you need to know that the naming of the bag as it stands today is totally unconscious and totally without any malice but the problem only arises in ghanians taking the name literarily. Though that's not to say in Ghana-Nigeria confrotations or contests like football, it doesn't take on a symbolic meaning grin but that, i'll like to believe you have no case against.
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by BraniacX(m): 4:25am On Mar 16, 2015
JiggamanGh:

Your government should hv stopped its citizens from referring to the bag as such. That shows hoe civilized Ghanaians are that we don't even bother nigerians for referring to bag as such.

Because, apart from election period, our government(s) don't really care how we Nigerians feel so why on GOD'S good earth should they care how Ghanians feel ? Its not like you have votes they need or opinions they need to pretend they are listening to is it? undecided
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by BraniacX(m): 4:55am On Mar 16, 2015
mrham03:
lol, so u love fufu and yet u claim ghanaian foods aint good. Isnt dat strange?

Is fufu ghanian in origin?

Might Need to start a new thread on that 'cos I don't agree undecided
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by khiaa(f): 4:56am On Mar 16, 2015
Fulaman198:

Loll dont mind him, we've crossed paths before. He's the epitome of modern day white male bootlicker

So so true.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by BraniacX(m): 5:00am On Mar 16, 2015
mrham03:
and whats the difference

Ma guy difference dey oh! grin

But to each his/her own
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by BraniacX(m): 5:18am On Mar 16, 2015
JiggamanGh:

Soup suppose to be watery. all africans make soup like that except nigerians who doesn't know the difference between soup and stew. Seems everyone knows what soup is except nigerians and they all look the same green.

Senegal soup
Liberian soup
Ghanaian soup
Nigerian soup

Ma guy I have been ignoring your soup vs stew debate all along deeming it irrelevant until i saw the pictures you posted!!! Chai!! It now occurs to me that you're stuck up in literal english definitions and not functions. When a european says soup, am guessing they are referring to gruel meant to be drunk with a spoon, but when Africans sorry Nigerians say soup (apart from the obvious peppersoup), they mean gruel that is supposed to aid in swallowing a bolus so maybe it is us Nigerians that should be literarily correct and stop calling ours soup or it is you who should be functionally correct and stop swallowing your bolus with soup but whichever way, I wouldn't trade places with you and swallow my bolus with your soup instead of my soup sorry stew grin
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Akinsnaira: 5:23am On Mar 16, 2015
Being subservient to rich westerners and disrespectful to fellow poor African countries is not what I call Superiority Complex but Snobbishness. Most black people have this inbuilt snobbish trait in them, that is why they are the poorest race in the world. Only want to be associated with higher class but look down on the lower class as if those in higher class didn't start from bottom.

Welcome to Africa! A place where you have no right if you're poor but have every right if you're rich

2 Likes

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by mrham03(m): 5:39am On Mar 16, 2015
BraniacX:

Is fufu ghanian in origin?

Might Need to start a new thread on that 'cos I don't agree undecided
yep, fufu is of ghanaian origin. Its the truth

3 Likes

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Fulaman198(m): 5:58am On Mar 16, 2015
BraniacX:

Of course you are

No chadian or Nigerese fulani ever came from chad or niger, like buhari, abacha and co, you all come from Nigeria!!!

But by your fruits, we shall know you and by that I mean its obvious you're chadian despite protestations and denials to the contrary.

I don't know what you mean by that, but that's wrong. There are quite dense Fulani populations in every country from Senegal to Sudan

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by bigfrancis21: 6:15am On Mar 16, 2015
cautious:
@OP, this problem isn't isolated to Nigeria. It is a problem of the Negroid race. The average Blackman doesn't like the next Blackman and would rather sell him to the white man. Try speaking to an African outside Nigeria and see how much they detest Nigeria and Nigerians. These things ought not to be so but it is what it is. I'm not holding brief for Nigerians and our perceived arrogance but my point is that the problem is deeply rooted in our race, sadly so.

@bold...that is quite true. And some feel like they always have to prove they are 'smarter' than this Nigerian.
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by ocelot2006(m): 6:38am On Mar 16, 2015
tpia5:
So you are not bothered when nigerians rubbish nigeria but you are when they don't praise other countries? Never mind the fact that nigerians are the greatest asss kissers in the universe and constantly worship anything foreign?

Wonderful.

The a$$ kissing is actually what seperates us Nigerians from the rest. Don't get me wrong, we Nigerians are extremely friendly to foreigners, BUT unlike other Africans, we can NEVER EVER be pushed around be it here in Nigeria or abroad. We're not docile and are unafraid to speak our minds and go achieve our goals.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by ocelot2006(m): 6:43am On Mar 16, 2015
odeku457:
Its ABI NI BI !

Its US!

True that.
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by ocelot2006(m): 6:45am On Mar 16, 2015
fizyalasdair:

We are blessed,prosperous and developing. Its only natural for people to hate us. This guy who made this post is one of em'. Its either he's not Nigerian or he's a Nigerian with no sense of pride. Nigerians dont have a superiority complex dude, you're the one with an inferiority complex. Deal with it.

He's Cameroonian
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Nobody: 7:03am On Mar 16, 2015
lozanni:

Lolz.

I wont be surprised if you were born bred in Nigeria.

Thanx god no
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Nobody: 7:03am On Mar 16, 2015
mrham03:
yep, fufu is of ghanaian origin. Its the truth
Hahahahahaa this is very funny cheesy grin cheesy grin

Fufu isn't of Ghanian origin. It's Nigerian. Take it or leave it.
Choi!! You funny oo cheesy grin cheesy grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by iamord(m): 7:13am On Mar 16, 2015
gofyourself:

Thanx god no
cheesy
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by iamord(m): 7:18am On Mar 16, 2015
AgapeCharis:

I got a good laugh on this one. Who told you so.. Or you just think it's so cos it's what it is?? Lol. Fufu is a wide spread staple across African countries. The origin might not be certain. But it's definitely not from Nigeria. Ghana is synonymous with it cos that's one of our major foods. It's also like saying jollof comes from Nigeria. Travel out and explore other African cultures

3 Likes

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by mrham03(m): 7:23am On Mar 16, 2015
AgapeCharis:

lol, fufu was introduced to nigerians by ghanaians. Go check wikipedia and stop lying to yourself.
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by eagleeyez: 7:29am On Mar 16, 2015
bigfrancis21:
That trait gives them an edge here in America. Nigerians have been observed to be hardworking, very self-confident, tough and very difficult to intimidate.

Perfect response. You last reason being ,....."very difficult to intimidate" is one of the reason we actually are not liked in western countries because they have tried to come and take over under the guise of " investment" or tackling"millitants" but we know their games well. We refuse to be south africa
You forgot to add very intelligent.
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Veron265(f): 7:29am On Mar 16, 2015
ireneony:
sorry to burst your bubbles, western africans are not classify as bantu...

for your information i'm a nigerian.

go and read your history book again, most southern africans are bantu especially south africans ( with their slated eyes).. ...

Oh Wow, I'm a Bantu...and very proud to be one...never did I realize I had slated eyes and that OUR 'slated eyes' were so distasteful.
I refuse to take this thread seriously...it is a mere exhibition of bravado, tribalism, insults, and utter disrespect hmmm

I've always patronized NL from way back and decided to sign-up...not because I don't have better things to do,
but simply because I enjoy some of the threads; they are informative, interesting and all that good stuff.

This thread though hmmm, am asking myself why I decided to comment, making a debut on such a lousy thread...

Then I remember, nothing is ever as serious as it is....smile good people, unknot them thongs, shine your slated eyes well well, turn up on your A game in those foreign countries you dey call 'home' coz of your hustle.
It's a brand new day, seize it.

2 Likes

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Nobody: 7:33am On Mar 16, 2015
Truckpusher:
Pm me if you're beautiful.

Swerve jarreeeeee...*yimu*

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by OXYGEN011: 7:50am On Mar 16, 2015
meforyou1:
Charley, we will soon buy up Accra and Kumasi. Just watch out
With what? Boko haram or what.

2 Likes

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Pamcrest(f): 7:55am On Mar 16, 2015
Op, let's face it, most African countries don't like Nigerians n make it known....either it's jealousy, envy, or outright hatred for whatever reason. So Nigeirans being who we are, self confident n independent, we lash out at anyone tryna insult us. Methinks it's low self esteem form our brothers yonder.
Extend a warm happy handshake to us, and u will see how we can bend backwards n stoop low to embrace u. Nigerians are one of d happiest people on earth! grin
My humble submission
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Truckpusher(m): 8:01am On Mar 16, 2015
keppyy:

Swerve jarreeeeee...*yimu*
grin Nne, you dey vex o.
Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Truckpusher(m): 8:19am On Mar 16, 2015
lezz:
Truely, our brother's in diaspora should be constructive in the criticism and not to kill whatever is left of the moral of those that are optimistic and ready to weather the storm for Nigeria.

Chinese in diaspora stole a lot of technology from the US and brought it home.

Our kunta kinte brothers in the West often rot away there and never make any positive impact back home except return in yuletide and other festive period with convertible cars, fake accent and jewelry.

I have a deep seated hatred for our rulers but it is the resilience of the Nigerian people that has been laudable.

Nigerian firms and companies now dominate virtually the west African region providing goods and services. I don't want to be too specific about countries so as not to encourage ego post from foreigners on this thread.

Nigerian banks have virtually taken over west Africa and are expanding to east-central Africa. Our government is still lagging behind though as our political awareness has been to accommodating and low our political class get away with a lot of corrupt acts.

But the future remains very bright, our political awareness is increasing and the value of opposition is becoming clearer. Soon our political leaders would become more accountable for their actions while in office.

Foreign investors are beginning to flow in, if the government would follow through with infrastructural development we will become the Japan and China of Africa.
Beautifully written my brother.There is a wide difference between a constructive criticism and a destructive one and this is what we've been hammering on.
The political awareness is a sign of good things to come as it is no longer a carry-go thing and will always keep whichever party that finds themselves there on their toes to do the right thing.Though I'm still afraid that our political prostitutes wouldn't mind going back to the winning party at the end of the day thereby collapsing a strong opposition.For any democracy to flourish you need a strong opposition.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by OXYGEN011: 8:23am On Mar 16, 2015
all4naija:
Shut the f**k up! Charcoal, midget and Ghana-must-go! angry
I laugh when I see mumugerians Calling Ghana names. But are nigerians not darker than Ghanaians? Are they not more lightskinned people in Ghana than nigeria. Your president alone is blacker than midnight. nigerians are not just darker but UGLY and SMELLY as well.

2 Likes

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by Masterclass32: 8:30am On Mar 16, 2015
iamord:
nah! Mumugerian is a compliment.

Funny

1 Like

Re: Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? by mrham03(m): 8:32am On Mar 16, 2015
Pamcrest:
Op, let's face it, most African countries don't like Nigerians n make it known....either it's jealousy, envy, or outright hatred for whatever reason. So Nigeirans being who we are, self confident n independent, we lash out at anyone tryna insult us. Methinks it's low self esteem form our brothers yonder.
Extend a warm happy handshake to us, and u will see how we can bend backwards n stoop low to embrace u. Nigerians are one of d happiest people on earth! grin
My humble submission
u arent entirely ryt. Truth is nigerians are confident, courageous, great business people and all that. Its true that other countries could be jealous of u and so is it true that nigerians are guilty of running down other countries, u sometimes overstep ur boundaries by insulting other countries. When that happens how do u expect other countries to like u?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. / Bode Thomas Died Of Barking After Insulting Alaafin Of Oyo. How True? / I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.