Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,147 members, 7,953,537 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:21 PM

No Ethnicity On Census Meant To Hide Past Lies - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Ethnicity On Census Meant To Hide Past Lies (1419 Views)

Jonathan Explains What Meant When He Said ‘Stealing Is Not Corruption’ / ”You Are Not Meant To Pound Yams For Me” - Jonathan To Nigerian Women / Analysis Of Nigerian 2006 Census Results (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Ethnicity On Census Meant To Hide Past Lies by DaHitler(m): 9:09am On Jun 23, 2006
The lack of ethnicity on the Census is meant to hide past lies. Past lies that published to the world that a mythical ethnic group known as Hausa-Fulani made up 29 percent of the population. Well ahead of Yorubas with 21 percent and Igbos with 18 percent. This mythical Ethnic group also happened to be the same ethnic group that most of the Military dictators came from. This mythical ethnic group that occupied by all real accounts, land that is just shy of being desert. How exactly the dust land of Kano, and Kaduna are able to support over 35 million people is beyond me. In fact, I would be surprised if that desert land is capable of sustaining 15 million people. Of course, in case the mythical ethinc group went over any of your heads, all Nigerians know that there is no such group as Hausa-Fulani. Unless you are willing to add Fulani, a nomadic people, to whatever groups they are in close proximity to. In which case, just as there are Hausa-Fulani, there are Yoruba Fulani, Nupe Fulani and Igbo Fulani.

The census also went on to say that Nigeria is made up of 50 percent Muslim, 40 percent Christian and 10 percent native believes.

Am I the only that finds it suprising that past census results are the way they are? After IBB funded and installed Obj in power, not surprisingly, Obj came up with the bright idea of not adding ethnicity to the census. Now, if I am getting this straight, it is ok for a tyrannical military regime to conduct a census that includes ethnic groups. but it is not possible for a democratically elected regime to do the same?

Honestly, it is only common sense that ethnicity be added to the census. This is not only in the benefit of the country as a whole, but it is in the benefit of the North. Once the census is released without ethnicity added, you can rest assured that 95 percent of the people in lagos, wheather or not they are Yoruba will be regarded as being just that. 98 percent or more of the people in Ibadan, wheather or not they are Yoruba will be regarded as being Yoruba. So, in short, in trying to hide past lies, the North have allowed themselves to be fooled. Once the census results are released, revenue allocation would have to be re-done (as called for by the constitution) and if you think the Northern States are having trouble developing now, wait till they begin getting only 70 percent of what they are currently getting.

If everyone would have played fair and included the ethnicity in the census, we would have a better idea where we stand as a nation. And after spending hundred of millions of Dollars, omitting the 1 lines that would have been needed to add a question for ethnicity is not only being silly, but it is wasteful and moronic.
Re: No Ethnicity On Census Meant To Hide Past Lies by kazey(m): 9:19am On Jun 23, 2006
hehe very interesting. But its unfortunate that you do not have written facts to support your theories. And by the way we have Bauchi, Sokoto, Zamfara, Katsina and co, you forgot to mention them smiley
Re: No Ethnicity On Census Meant To Hide Past Lies by DaHitler(m): 9:45am On Jun 23, 2006
Kazey, I do have facts to support my claims. I guess I just kind of assumed that everyone on this forum was well aware of the results of past Nigerian census. Besides, I was hoping to skip that extra peace of work. But if you insist, my friend, I will attach the census results I am able to find at the bottom of this post.

Yes, I know you have other States in the North. However, you know as well as I do, that compared to the south, Northern States are by in large empty.

Here are links to the census.

Link: From CIA american website. It shows Hausa Fulani as one with 29 percent of the population.
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ni.html

Link: Repot on Nigerias past Census

Link: That shows that Kano State has over 8 million people undecided, just 2 million less than Lago State. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nigerian_states_by_population
Re: No Ethnicity On Census Meant To Hide Past Lies by kazey(m): 10:01am On Jun 23, 2006
I was talking about facts to support that they are LIES smiley not the data itself. Kano is not a dessert. Maiduguri is a dessert.
Re: No Ethnicity On Census Meant To Hide Past Lies by DaHitler(m): 10:04am On Jun 23, 2006
Kazey, I see what you mean. Well, it is widely believed that the census figured were lies. And if they were not, why where the Islamic clerics and Northerners shouting to ensure that the ethnicity and religion were not included in the Census?

I have seen Satellite images of all the major cities in Nigeria (At least 20 cities) and the Northern cities appear to be a lot smaller when looking at them. Now, this might mean that the Northern cities are filled with sky scrappers, but I seriously doubt that. The cities in the South Wester are the biggest. Enugu also appears to be pretty big.

Lastly, common sense and observing the rest of the world (including West African States) will tell you that the majority of people all West African States that have a coast line live close the coast. Only in Nigeria is it that people would rather live in arid wastelands when they could live further south where there is an abundance of water.

1 Like

Re: No Ethnicity On Census Meant To Hide Past Lies by Nobody: 12:18am On Dec 03, 2020
kazey:
hehe very interesting. But its unfortunate that you do not have written facts to support your theories. And by the way we have Bauchi, Sokoto, Zamfara, Katsina and co, you forgot to mention them smiley

you mean the banza bokwai crew grin

(1) (Reply)

My State Is Not Safe . / Lets Participate In The Change: / 2011: Storm In Osun Pdp’s Fold

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.