Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,879 members, 7,824,669 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

Changing Face Of The African Woman: - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Changing Face Of The African Woman: (2662 Views)

The African Phenotype Diversity Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Changing Face Of The African Woman: by britgirlee(f): 10:30pm On Aug 17, 2008
Well, hi guys its been a Long time since Ive posted, but I'm back with what you might call a controversial debate,

Is it me or is it becoming more apparent of the increasing changing face of  the African sister, ?

to put it bluntly , lets start with the Hair, gone are the days of relaxer beautiful cane rows, nice wash and set , replaced long weaves , the longer the better , the straighter the better

eyes, God bless contact lenses, whatever your shade of colour, blue, grey,Hazel, violet, dammmmmmmmmm

Skin, well we all moisturize,  but sometimes its noticed that the colour changes our skin to a lighter shade

make up is becoming more bold and bright,

clothes , what ever the size , skinny jeans , revealing tops, tower hills , gosh its a must to wear

It could be mistken that the role  model rightly or wrongly is our European sisters,  Does this make it socially acceptable?

I'm not saying all women but just opening up a discussion for both sexes to give their views,  wink
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by Joseph6(m): 10:41pm On Aug 17, 2008
i like it keep em coming
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by britgirlee(f): 9:39am On Aug 18, 2008
mr joe, any comments, wink
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by lucabrasi(m): 10:54am On Aug 18, 2008
you are right,the fact of it is that some people are sitting down somewhere dictating and setting the bariers of what is acceptable or not acceptable, when charlton heston acts the part of moses who was not white to start with e.t.c
when we are told african tradition is demonic and sadly we accept it
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by spikedcylinder: 2:37pm On Aug 18, 2008
Yea, this is to be expected is it not?
Time changes, people roll with that. Is that a bad thing?
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by lucabrasi(m): 7:08pm On Aug 18, 2008
spikedcylinder:

yes it is when we preffer foreign stuffs to ours in fashion,musical,religious,cultural e.t.c influences
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by britgirlee(f): 9:06pm On Aug 18, 2008
lucabrasi:

you are right,the fact of it is that some people are sitting down somewhere dictating and setting the bariers of what is acceptable or not acceptable, whencharlton heston acts the part of moses who was not white to start with e.t.c
when we are told african tradition is demonic and sadly we accept it

you have a good point here, maybe it the acceptnce which is were we go wrong
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by britgirlee(f): 9:10pm On Aug 18, 2008
spikedcylinder:

it is sweetie when your identity changes, ? or do you disagree?? but sis your point is valued
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by iice(f): 10:29am On Aug 19, 2008
bree shocked shocked grin grin
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by Nobody: 10:41am On Aug 19, 2008
britgirlee:

Well, hi guys its been a Long time since Ive posted, but I'm back with what you might call a controversial debate,

Is it me or is it becoming more apparent of the increasing changing face of the African sister, ?

to put it bluntly , lets start with the Hair, gone are the days of relaxer beautiful cane rows, nice wash and set , replaced long weaves , the longer the better , the straighter the better

eyes, God bless contact lenses, whatever your shade of colour, blue, grey,Hazel, violet, dammmmmmmmmm

Skin, well we all moisturize, but sometimes its noticed that the colour changes our skin to a lighter shade

make up is becoming more bold and bright,

clothes , what ever the size , skinny jeans , revealing tops, tower hills , gosh its a must to wear

It could be mistken that the role model rightly or wrongly is our European sisters, Does this make it socially acceptable?

I'm not saying all women but just opening up a discussion for both sexes to give their views, wink

It's sad.
Alot of Africans are tossing their cultures for foreign ones which do not even seem to me to be better than the african ones.
What's sadder is the fact that a large percentage of them do thios cos they have an inferiority complex,
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by Mustay(m): 1:48pm On Aug 19, 2008
fellis:

It's sad.
Alot of Africans are tossing their cultures for foreign ones which do not even seem to me to be better than the african ones.
What's sadder is the fact that a large percentage of them do thios because they have an inferiority complex,

well said
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by ssRhino: 1:58pm On Aug 19, 2008
Fashion is a thing that fade in and out, there was a time when brodas used to wear a bell mouth jeans, so things has just changed, and i remember seeing some pix of men in afro, now it is all different.
So i will say it is all fashion.
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by britgirlee(f): 10:26pm On Aug 19, 2008
$$Rhino:

Fashion is a thing that fade in and out, there was a time when brodas used to wear a bell mouth jeans, so things has just changed, and i remember seeing some pix of men in afro, now it is all different.
So i will say it is all fashion.
[/quote
bro, see your angle, but i dont think it is to do with fashion,
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by britgirlee(f): 10:30pm On Aug 19, 2008
fellis:

It's sad.
What's sadder is the fact that a large percentage of them do thios because they have an inferiority complex,
[/quote

whoa inferior complex, no, could be due to no solid role model
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by ssRhino: 12:53pm On Aug 20, 2008
But Nigerian culture is not about the pant, not even about skirt and blouse, so if you really wanna talk about the culture, that means the yoruba woman wearing the wrapper and the buba stuff with beads, so now tell me, can u wear all that to the office monday to firday?
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by britgirlee(f): 8:16pm On Aug 20, 2008
bro your off the topic, or misinterpreted it, i men y not wear shorts to the office just trying to j
keep topic rel, wink
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by drrionelli(m): 8:22pm On Aug 20, 2008
@britgirlee:
Your topic is one that is, indeed, interesting. But, do you feel that it is perhaps a bit broad? Surely, the "face of the African woman" is not something that can be narrowly defined, or even described. Would you mind just a bit more explanation of where you're going with this?

No flaming and no baiting, mind you--that's not my style. Just making sure that I'm following the topic!
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by KarmaMod(f): 8:32pm On Aug 20, 2008
But Nigerian culture is not about the pant, not even about skirt and blouse, so if you really want to talk about the culture, that means the yoruba woman wearing the wrapper and the buba stuff with beads, so now tell me, can u wear all that to the office monday to firday?

Lmao abi o.

It's funny isnt it? When Yaradua wore native to the Interational Meeting here in the States, everyone was like "oh he's a bush man, why couldnt he wear a suit and tie" yada yada, now these same people are talking about girls having inferior complex.

If you think we are forgoing the dressing of our land, let's see how it'll be going to an interview in half top and iro wih beads on our legs and waits and let's see how well that will go

Out of that was mentioned on your list, britee, it's the colored lenses that annoys me. Alas that's just me.
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by britgirlee(f): 8:51pm On Aug 20, 2008
KarmaMod:

Lmao abi o.

It's funny isnt it? When Yaradua wore native to the Interational Meeting here in the States, everyone was like "oh he's a bush man, why couldnt he wear a suit and tie" yada yada, now these same people are talking about girls having inferior complex.

If you think we are forgoing the dressing of our land, let's see how it'll be going to an interview in half top and iro wih beads on our legs and waits and let's see how well that will go

Out of that was mentioned on your list, britee, it's the colored lenses that annoys me. Alas that's just me.

hey sis thank you for your views, see you point but obviously i wouldn't wear the Niger gear to work etc, i live in London, but were im going with this is socially , ive just noticed the massive changes over the recent years, yes the contact lenses have got brighter,
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by britgirlee(f): 10:19pm On Aug 23, 2008
rhino

to the point of the question
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by lucabrasi(m): 11:31pm On Aug 23, 2008
$$Rhino:

But Nigerian culture is not about the pant, not even about skirt and blouse, so if you really want to talk about the culture, that means the yoruba woman wearing the wrapper and the buba stuff with beads, so now tell me, can u wear all that to the office monday to firday?
lets get things in the right perspective abeg,who says u cant wear iro and buba with beads to your office,why should a lady be ashamed of wearing beads on her neck on monday morning whn the average white lady will wear her pearls proudly with her skirt suit??
why should a lady be ashamed of wearing iro and buba when the white man most times will even wear a crumpled shirt and tie with brogue shoes and curduroy trousers??funny thing is that we nigerians are the ones that will be in the three piece suit when going to the office in the western world,the average white man apart from the old gentlemen types wear a simple shirt and trousers with trainers and a tie if they really have to, that is the point the poster is making, the fact that we can even question wearn iro and buba says a lot
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by britgirlee(f): 8:57pm On Aug 24, 2008
lubrasci, its deep, well said,
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by savanaha: 9:28pm On Aug 24, 2008
This is indeed an interesting topic however, am a bit confused. When you say the changing face of the African women do you mean in African countries or in the Western world. I find it sad that many African women think perming (relaxing) and weaving their hair is better than going natural.
I did not know women in Africa wore colored contacts but I have seen in America and I find it quiet disturbing, even some men here do it. In terms of revealing tops and what not I really don't have much to say about that. I do have a question though Britgirl I checked you profile and oddly enough your hair is permed (relaxed) and your whole cleavage is showing. So my question is are you shocked by the fact that African women have been captured by the Western view of beauty ( white woman standard) or is there something else your getting at?
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by KarmaMod(f): 9:34pm On Aug 24, 2008
savanaha:

. I do have a question though Britgirl I checked you profile and oddly enough your hair is permed (relaxed) and your whole cleavage is showing. So my question is are you shocked by the fact that African women have been captured by the Western view of beauty ( white woman standard) or is there something else your getting at?

grin hehe.

Perosnally I have no problem with weaves esp since black women arent the only ones who use weaves, it's when they use obnoxious colors like blonde and stuff that bothers me. I think the same of Asians with dyed blonde hair as well
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by britgirlee(f): 7:09am On Aug 25, 2008
savanaha:

This is indeed an interesting topic however, am a bit confused. When you say the changing face of the African women do you mean in African countries or in the Western world. I find it sad that many African women think perming (relaxing) and weaving their hair is better than going natural.
I did not know women in Africa wore colored contacts but I have seen in America and I find it quiet disturbing, even some men here do it. In terms of revealing tops and what not I really don't have much to say about that. I do have a question though Britgirl I checked you profile and oddly enough your hair is permed (relaxed) and your whole cleavage is showing. So my question is are you shocked by the fact that African women have been captured by the Western view of beauty ( white woman standard) or is there something else your getting at?

but its not
yup, well spotted, about me is it?? never mentioned that i didn't? or were you trying to be funny, this point of topic is to gather overall views of perceptions of others, of what they have observed,

PS , just getting into the Nigerian movies over here and yup the girlees wear contact lenses in most films,
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by britgirlee(f): 8:01am On Aug 25, 2008
KarmaMod:

grin hehe.

Perosnally I have no problem with weaves esp since black women arent the only ones who use weaves, it's when they use obnoxious colors like blonde and stuff that bothers me. I think the same of Asians with dyed blonde hair as well

yep i smiled, true what you say though,
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by savanaha: 3:18pm On Aug 25, 2008
britgirlee:

but its not
yup, well spotted, about me is it?? never mentioned that i didn't? or were you trying to be funny, this point of topic is to gather overall views of perceptions of others, of what they have observed,

PS , just getting into the Nigerian movies over here and yup the girlees wear contact lenses in most films,

I don't wear contacts, open chest blouse (often or I layer), weaves or perm my hair. I don't care much when people do but the Nollywood actresses do it in the worst and most obvious way. They make false hair a sin. Its like the people that are the cosmo department of Nollywood and dunces and clown artistes.

Anyways I wasn't trying to be funny it just seemed like the changing faces of Africa bothered you in that people are moving away from their culture in the most ridiculous ways. I think I was probably viewing the thread the way I view questions I ask people in that if I don't do something then I ask other people questions to understand why they do it. Especially when I think what they are doing is ridiculous.

I do think Africans over do the weave, even kids less than a year old have their hair braided up with weave or wear wigs.
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by britgirlee(f): 6:28pm On Aug 25, 2008
hi ll seems some people enjoy insults when posting  replies to  their treads , just polite no thanks to my blogs , please wink

its not very articulate or does it show the person or persons to be of sound intelligence or mind
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by Chukwemeka: 4:24pm On Aug 26, 2008
britgirlee:

hi ll seems some people enjoy insults when posting replies to their treads , just polite no thanks to my blogs , please wink

its not very articulate or does it show the person or persons to be of sound intelligence or mind

Aplogies in advance, but i do struggle to understand what you are trying to say when you type. Anyway, i think i undertstand what you are saying here. I too have been getting into the Nollywood films (big up Nollywood channel), and i too see what those actresses are wearing. however, i dont think thats a representation of the young/older african woman. Its a perception. Not a very good one, but a perception nonetheless.

savanaha:

I position myself along most of what savanaha has said.
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by britgirlee(f): 8:41pm On Aug 26, 2008
Chukwemeka:

Aplogies in advance, but i do struggle to understand what you are trying to say when you type. Anyway, i think i undertstand what you are saying here. I too have been getting into the Nollywood films (big up Nollywood channel), and i too see what those actresses are wearing. however, i don't think thats a representation of the young/older african woman. Its a perception. Not a very good one, but a perception nonetheless.

I position myself along most of what savanaha has said.

i hear you, difficult at times to simplify things with out causing confusion
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by lucabrasi(m): 6:55pm On Aug 27, 2008
@savanah
im not an expert at girls fashion and u wernt even directing the comment at me,but during the old days as in way back women went bare chested and nobody made a big deal out of it,neither was there any promiscuity n stuffs like now,so shown cleavages n that isnt as western as we ll like to see it
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by britgirlee(f): 7:44pm On Aug 27, 2008
lucabrasi:

@savanah
im not an expert at girls fashion and u wernt even directing the comment at me,but during the old days as in way back women went bare chested and nobody made a big deal out of it,neither was there any promiscuity n stuffs like now,so shown cleavages n that is
nt as western as we ll like to see it

well said, wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mantoosh Majlooj / Spectacular Pictures & Gist Of The National Theatre / Pic: Is This Really True About Yorùbá And Igbo Guys?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.