Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,184 members, 7,818,592 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:26 PM

Changing Face Of The African Woman: - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Changing Face Of The African Woman: (2660 Views)

The African Phenotype Diversity Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by savanaha: 9:49pm On Aug 27, 2008
lucabrasi:

@savanah
im not an expert at girls fashion and u wernt even directing the comment at me,but during the old days as in way back women went bare chested and nobody made a big deal out of it,neither was there any promiscuity n stuffs like now,so shown cleavages n that isnt as western as we ll like to see it

Well I understand that unclothedness or revealing outfits is not as Western as it is widely precieved however the way Britgirlee put the question and the fact that in her profile she was wearing Western designed outfit is the reason I made my statement. Like I said earlier I have no problems with people wearing whatever except some kind of colored contact on black people and crazy types of weave
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by vivaladiva(f): 11:01pm On Aug 27, 2008
PERSONALLY I FIND IRO AND BUBA EXTREMELY CUMBERSOME, DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE EASTERN ATTIRE
I NEED ROOM TO BREATH
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by dolo213: 11:14pm On Aug 27, 2008
it has helped our nigerian women look more like ladys and more had working. onlike the old iro and buba that makes them look fat , lazy and old.we need the change.
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by savanaha: 9:15pm On Aug 28, 2008
dolo_213:

it has helped our nigerian women look more like ladys and more had working. onlike the old iro and buba that makes them look fat , lazy and old.we need the change.

First off let me apologize for what am about to write. I understand everyone has a right to free speech however I think the above statement is all kinds of stupid and has hints of cultural hatred.
While I realize we have been taken over by the Western view of beauty it still does not mean cultural fashion sense automatically makes people fat and lazy. Its idiotic to think that someone is less lady like by embracing their culture. Like saying it is unprofessional for a teacher to wear her native attire, how dumb! The reason I think the comment is plain stupid is would you still consider the women unattractive and fat if Western influence were minimal or non- exostent. No!
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by lucabrasi(m): 9:31pm On Aug 28, 2008
i tire o,whats the corellation between fat nigerian women and wearing trditional wears,funny thing is that looking at glossy magazines like ovation and the rest with the modern ways women sew traditional ankara,kente e.t.c shows more attention is being shown trad wears,a fat person is a fat person irrespective of what colour,country
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by savanaha: 9:42pm On Aug 28, 2008
lucabrasi:

i tire o,whats the corellation between fat nigerian women and wearing trditional wears,funny thing is that looking at glossy magazines like ovation and the rest with the modern ways women sew traditional ankara,kente e.t.c shows more attention is being shown trad wears,a fat person is a fat person irrespective of what colour,country

Exactly!!

its considered metropolitan and bohimian or whatever when it appears in a glossed up Western magazine but fat and lazy on an African woman.
Re: Changing Face Of The African Woman: by britgirlee(f): 10:37pm On Aug 28, 2008
keep it comming, wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mantoosh Majlooj / Spectacular Pictures & Gist Of The National Theatre / The Ilorin Blot On Yoruba History And The Perfidy Of The British

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.